Its time to replace Taimi with Councillor Phlunt

ugrakarma.9416

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:Phlunt, on the other hand? The blowhard that Taimi ran circles around for more than a year, the one who has shown himself to be manifestly more interested in taking credit for Taimi's discoveries than doing anything remotely useful himself? If Taimi's too young to make useful contributions, why would we want someone who just plagiarizes her work?

Do we have any proof that he claims credit for her inventions?All official statements I know of is that he is taking care of her inventions until she can properly claim ownership of them, as that seems to be the usual thing to do in Asuran society.

The timing (he only seemed to care about the 'proper procedure' after he'd seen it in use for herself), the insults, the threats, and the whole 'you're on your own with Mordremoth unless you do this for me' all would indicate something more than a legal concern for Taimi's best interests.

The argument could, and probably should, be made that something as vital as the waypoint recalibration shouldn't be left to an unsupervised progeny, but that's beside the point here. Instead of doing any research or working towards a solution of his own, Phlunt sat back for weeks while Taimi did her thing, then confiscated her device as soon as it was proven functional. Even if we were to take him at his word over Taimi and Zojja, and believe that he didn't intend to claim the credit himself, that's still not a promising first impression.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:Phlunt, on the other hand? The blowhard that Taimi ran circles around for more than a year, the one who has shown himself to be manifestly more interested in taking credit for Taimi's discoveries than doing anything remotely useful himself? If Taimi's too young to make useful contributions, why would we want someone who just plagiarizes her work?

Do we have any proof that he claims credit for her inventions?All official statements I know of is that he is taking care of her inventions until she can properly claim ownership of them, as that seems to be the usual thing to do in Asuran society.

It's indirectly stated by Zojja during Reunion with the Pact:

Zojja: I got an earful from Taimi after her run-in with Phlunt.-> Phlunt is an...interesting individual.You're in a polite mood today. I'm more likely to say Phlunt is an interesting insect. But, I do appreciate your effort. You needn't worry. Everyone who matters knows the device is Taimi's invention.X. That's as it should be.-> Phlunt's handicap is greater than Taimi's. He was born without a heart.It's true. He has the empathy of a rat. If it soothes you at all, he also has the brains of a rat, and he hasn't been able to reverse engineer Taimi's device. Everyone knows it's her invention.X. That makes me feel better.-> He should be taken out behind his lab and shot.I'm beginning to see how you feel about him. Unfortunately, he's within his rights according to college tradition. As a student, Taimi owns none of what she invents. Everyone knows it's hers, though.X. Then I say it's time for traditions to change.

TL;DR, as dean of Taimi's college, he took credit and legal licensing for it. He attempted to reverse engineer it, but couldn't. Despite taking public credit under school rights, people are fully aware it was Taimi's work.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Phlunt, on the other hand? The blowhard that Taimi ran circles around for more than a year, the one who has shown himself to be manifestly more interested in taking credit for Taimi's discoveries than doing anything remotely useful himself? If Taimi's too young to make useful contributions, why would we want someone who just plagiarizes her work?

That's exactly what would make it very hilarious, our team is full of too much "talented people", the grumpy old man would make things more interesting, like was his participation in Flash Point.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:On a more serious note, though- complaints that our guild is irresponsible for bringing Taimi along go all the way back to her introduction seven years ago, but honestly, the case has weakened substantially since then.

in really i was a bit joking about it, im replaying LS2, the thing about Taimi being underage is is brought up, and is mitigated by her riding a robot(then technically more protected than the rest of the team), and Phulunt comments to the commander that he feels more relieved to see that she is hanging out with adults.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:Let's end this nonsense of carrying a child in a guild of inconsequential adventurers(Commander), addicteds to gambling (Canach), and alcoholics (Marjorie).With the radio thing, councillor Phlunt can help us without leaving Rata Sum.I bet he would be a better addition to the Dragons Watch guild.

Kill Taimi offscreen and let the old wise one inherit all her research assets.

This. Taimi always felt like Anet's attempt to give us another, much less offensive, Scarlet. It smacks of a new attempt to market an old concept: a know-it-all, or would-be know-it-all, who can ease our discomfort as we learn about the 2ply toilet paper on which development wrote their lore and story.

Bring in Phlunt. I want sadistic, camp humor that mocks everything in the game and provides commentary on other franchises. It's about time my sides were smarting from more than Taimi's awkward hugs.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Gryphon.2875 said:I prefer Gorrik; at least he knows what's going on and is intelligent enough to carry on her work. But, they are likely going to turn her into a golem like Blish.But dragons are no bugs, so I doubt Gorrik would be all that much of a helper.

He did good work with the skyscales. And, before that, handling Pact logistics. He's not entirely a one-trick pony.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@"Gryphon.2875" said:I prefer Gorrik; at least he knows what's going on and is intelligent enough to carry on her work. But, they are likely going to turn her into a golem like Blish.But dragons are no bugs, so I doubt Gorrik would be all that much of a helper.

He did good work with the skyscales. And, before that, handling Pact logistics. He's not
entirely
a one-trick pony.

IMO, he was too effective during Dragonfall. Where he was the one who invented and tested - with live field assistants - the various brandstorm disruptors and ley-line redirectors to help expose Kralkatorrik.

He shouldn't be a one-trick pony, but his specialty is insects. So how quickly he managed to figure out the ley line and brandstorm stuff was weird and immersion breaking to me. Felt just like typical "asura solve all problems".

That said, Gorrik could no doubt replace Taimi should they decide to kill her off via illness.Which I think they should do, not because I dislike her, but because it'd be a logical route for her character's story, and it would be nice to have a character death that isn't a) off-screen or b) during intense combat situations.

Sure, they could pull a MIG or have Aurene brand her, but why stuff in some nonesense when we have an ever-growing cast of characters as is, and a unique death scene potential?

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

That said, Gorrik could no doubt replace Taimi should they decide to kill her off via illness.Which I think they should do, not because I dislike her, but because it'd be a logical route for her character's story, and it would be nice to have a character death that isn't a) off-screen or b) during intense combat situations.

Sure, they could pull a MIG or have Aurene brand her, but why stuff in some nonesense when we have an ever-growing cast of characters as is, and a unique death scene potential?

I actually like Taimi, but a good death bed scene with her, a well executed bitter sweet moment? I would like that. A last good bye. Everyone who cares surrounding her. Then waiting..... realisation.... sobbing.

That would be a good end and would make the cast much more manageable.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Sure, they could pull a MIG or have Aurene brand her, but why stuff in some nonesense when we have an ever-growing cast of characters as is, and a unique death scene potential?

I do think they'll at least try to put her in a golem like what happened with Blish (the most reasonable alternative option imo), but whether or not she agrees and the procedure is successful depends on if Anet wants to keep her in the story or not and could go either way at this point.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Gryphon.2875" said:I prefer Gorrik; at least he knows what's going on and is intelligent enough to carry on her work. But, they are likely going to turn her into a golem like Blish.But dragons are no bugs, so I doubt Gorrik would be all that much of a helper.

He did good work with the skyscales. And, before that, handling Pact logistics. He's not
entirely
a one-trick pony.

IMO, he was
too
effective during Dragonfall. Where he was the one who invented and tested - with live field assistants - the various brandstorm disruptors and ley-line redirectors to help expose Kralkatorrik.

He shouldn't be a one-trick pony, but his specialty
is
insects. So how quickly he managed to figure out the ley line and brandstorm stuff was weird and immersion breaking to me. Felt just like typical "asura solve all problems".

Aurene branding her is something I hadn't considered. ?