Will 3rd Expansion happen at all?

yefluke.3168

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see Cantha added but the way its been so silent i'm thinking no more expacs.. I hope i'm wrong but this game isn't very transparent or updated often.. And when it is updated it seems less and less lately.

Plus the fact they seem to make the content so insanely hard these days.

@Dante.1508 said:I'd love to see Cantha added but the way its been so silent i'm thinking no more expacs.. I hope i'm wrong but this game isn't very transparent or updated often.. And when it is updated it seems less and less lately.

What story content in the last 2 releases have been insanely hard?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Dante.1508 said:I'd love to see Cantha added but the way its been so silent i'm thinking no more expacs.. I hope i'm wrong but this game isn't very transparent or updated often.. And when it is updated it seems less and less lately.

I can see people having problems with the Fraenir, since particle density is so unnecessarily high.Also, doing the prisoner camp events alone downed me a lot on my Ele.

@Linken.6345 said:

Honestly no idea i stopped doing content pretty much after Living Story 4.

@Dante.1508 said:

So maybe dont spread miss information if you havent played the latest stories then?

@Linken.6345 said:

So maybe dont spread miss information if you havent played the latest stories then?

No misinformation said living story 3 and 4 were hard as nails to complete solo and some of my classes would never even been able too.. Just because i haven't done the latest content doesn't change that fact.

@Dante.1508 said:

No misinformation said living story 3 and 4 were hard as nails to complete solo and some of my classes would never even been able too.. Just because i haven't done the latest content doesn't change that fact.

Aside from Bloodstone Caudecus, I don't remember any boss problem with the LS3 story.Some other bosses, like the Golem boss in LS4 Episode, felt quite tedious and boring, but not hard.

@Dante.1508 said:

What fact? You said

Season 3 and Season 4 are old by this time and the Icebrood Saga has been a joke so far.

@lare.5129 said:I don't need any expnsion nearest 3-5 years. How I undesrtand thats can only break current new players come, and trigger action to someplayers leave.So will hope no any exp3.

Expansions bring new and old players back to a game. There is a reason why with every expansion release there is a increase in player activity/involvement (and obviously revenue). Meanwhile the Living World is in a downwards spiral in both activity and revenue, the question for the developers is how low they want their activity and revenue to drop before they take action and release an expansion to address both. The game won't last 3, let alone 5, years without an expansion.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Expansions bring new and old players back to a game.very big part old will left if it come, this is very simple view.

There is a reason why with every expansion release there is a increase in player activity/involvement (and obviously revenue).and obviously revenue? no, revenue will be fail. Make big product long time and invest money, and have risk that it not will be accepted or get some fail. Fail all 100%, but not 5% fail if make some fail with story line.There is something like put all money in single place and sink it oiled paper.

player activityalso we will get some players count who will close that content per 1 month, and again never power on gw2 few years .. Don't see any reason attract that players scope, thay a useless.

The game won't last 3, let alone 5, years without an expansion.It can be perfect 20 years without an expansion till some virtual reality life standard will come in out world.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Why keep a tight lid on something the fourth team is working on if it's not LW5 stuff? Think about it people. They said one team is working on LW5 stuff, which is no real secret. Yet this mysterious forth team is making something that Anet wants to keep a secret but worth TELLING US THAT IT'S A SECRET....

Creating hope out of nothing is nothing mind-blowing or spectacular.That statement might have just been made so people wishing for an expansion get their hopes up too high.The content that team creates might be minor questline additions for the seasonal events, a new fractal or even just the annual raid release.That statement also might be a straight lie and that team is working on LS5 after all.

Realistically why would they do that? Think about it. Why would they state they have a fourth team working on something they not ready to reveal yet for GW2 that isn't LW5 related.Because they had a team working on something they were not ready to reveal yet that wasn;t LS5 related. My guess, that team worked on
capes

Also we saw future Living World 5 photos in which the developers are even hinting at new weapons for classes (, Shield for Necro, Greatsword for Revenant, off hand Mace for Guardian)We saw art and animations for HoT showing land spears. And then much later we heard that it was never even considered, much less worked on.Why tease this along side hinting at a fourth team making something that's secret?So people like you can blow this secret out of propotions, without Anet actually promising anything they don't want to fulfill.

Remember, they never said that the fourth team worked on something big. That is an assumption you are making, with absolutely no basis for it in any info we've seen or heard. My take on it, on th other hand, is that, whatever they are working on, is simply not big enough to be properly hyped. As such, my guess is that it's that team that is going to do all the little stuff, like capes, or color channels for back items, that they will ultimately try to sell to us as "expansion-like features". My expectations are also that it will still come way short of actual expansion features (and probably end up being monetized like kitten).

@lare.5129 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Expansions bring new and old players back to a game.very big part old will left if it come, this is very simple view.

There is a reason why with every expansion release there is a increase in player activity/involvement (and obviously revenue).and obviously revenue? no, revenue will be fail. Make big product long time and invest money, and have risk that it not will be accepted or get some fail. Fail all 100%, but not 5% fail if make some fail with story line.There is something like put all money in single place and sink it oiled paper.

player activityalso we will get some players count who will close that content per 1 month, and again never power on gw2 few years .. Don't see any reason attract that players scope, thay a useless.

The game won't last 3, let alone 5, years without an expansion.It can be perfect 20 years without an expansion till some virtual reality life standard will come in out world.

Old data (from almost 5 months ago) because I can't be bothered to get new ones, but they illustrate the point perfectly:

91.5% started Heart of Thorns, 66.2% killed Mordremoth67.2% started S3E1, 59.7% finished it62.4% started S3E2, 57.2% finished it63.3% started S3E3, 55.7% finished it59.6% started S3E4, 50.8% finished it56% started S3E5, 49.9% finished it52.7% started S3E6, 46.8% finished it79.9% started Path of Fire, 62% killed Balthazar57% started S4E1, 47.1% finished it47.9% started S4E2, 42.3% finished it48.7% started S4E3, 39.9% finished it40.6% started S4E4, 35.8% finished it36.3% started S4E5, 31.7% finished it32.8% started S4E6, 29.6% finished it

Data from gw2efficiency which might not be representative of the entire playerbase but it is a rather large sample.Notice the sizable activity bump when Path of Fire was released and also notice the steep decline after each expansion was released.

Revenue chart:eyr4apfmkfk31.png

Expansions do bring in more players (either players returning, or new ones joining the game) and they do increase revenue.

Now, notice how getting fully unlocked build templates on ONE character costs as much as an expansion. If we'd gotten build templates as part of Expansion 3 then it would've been much cheaper for everyone. The problem without expansions is that to cover the revenue deficiency they have to aggressively monetize their current players, sure freeloaders can continue playing without spending anything, but that happens at the expense of those paying customers that are now overcharged to cover for those not paying.

Expansions on the other hand are meant to be paid by everyone. At the same time they bring hype, new players join and old players return, becoming exposed to the gem store. It's better for a game to expose NEW players to the entire gem store, or OLD returning players to what they've missed, than continue to squeeze every bit of cash out of a dwindling playerbase.

Well those stats really illustrate the point, I'm now curious about the recents one of Grothmar and Bjora maps. But hell, only 29.6% finished s4e6? Ouch.....After checking earning, well I bet 6 years big max before the end if nothing is made.12.9% lost of episode completion in s3, vs 17.5% in s4. Surely s5 will be worse.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Old data (from almost 5 months ago) because I can't be bothered to get new ones, but they illustrate the point perfectly:

91.5% started Heart of Thorns, 66.2% killed Mordremoth67.2% started S3E1, 59.7% finished it...52.7% started S3E6, 46.8% finished it79.9% started Path of Fire, 62% killed Balthazar57% started S4E1, 47.1% finished it...32.8% started S4E6, 29.6% finished itThis is perfectly illustrate the point that I say - 91.5% started Heart of Thorns and 79.9% started Path of Fire. You see 20% drop ?First - Next drop will be till 40-55%.Second, and main - we have a lot of starters, and they dissapear after short time. So there is no any point to do content to them.You see drop from 79.9% - 32.8% ? So where the point to exp3 and get after 5 month again THE SAME 30% ?

Notice the sizable activity bump when Path of Fire was releasedthis bump is only "sound blink" - short and non monetized. I am sure that "bump players" ayway don't buy slot for bags, templates, skins, mounts, and etc. They only buy patch, make "bump", and leave. Who care about them ??

Now, notice how getting fully unlocked build templates on ONE character costs as much as an expansion. If we'd gotten build templates as part of Expansion 3 then it would've been much cheaper for everyone.Not, it cheaper only for you.

that happens at the expense of those paying customers that are now overchargedWant buy - do, don't want - not do. Don't see any problem in this. Who is "overcharged "?

Expansions on the other hand are meant to be paid by everyone.how you say this is very small sum, same as all tepmlates on ONE character.

And what we get if do it? We have chance to fail all.

We can trigger leave some not big, but active players group, who play each day 6h+, do some challenges, raid, and etc. But not have plan pay fro exp3.Now on non prime time make cms party is 20-60 min fro me. After that triggered leave some raid/cms content in non prime time can be dead at all. And this is will trigger second wave of leave palyers like me, who don't see problem to pay, but cam't play in prime time cm content and etc.So we can have some "domino effect". So on one hand get "domino" , on other "short bump of one month playes". And keep attention, this bump coast additional money, work, and pressure.

I don't see any reason spend additional money to get chance additional fail.

@lare.5129 said:This is perfectly illustrate the point that I say - 91.5% started Heart of Thorns and 79.9% started Path of Fire. You see 20% drop ?

Your point is flawed. More players started Path of Fire (79.9%) than played S3E6 (52.7%) meaning if there was no expansion there, S4E1 totals would be lower than 52.7%, the expansion revitalized the game, pushing S4E1 to 57% and stopping the downward trend even temporarily. That's what expansions do, they invigorate games and soften their fall, or they are excellent enough skyrocket games back towards the sky, as many other games have done.

You see drop from 79.9% - 32.8% ? So where the point to exp3 and get after 5 month again THE SAME 30% ?

That drop exists because we don't have a third expansion, if, instead of the Icebrood Saga, we had an expansion now, then those numbers would climb, as they did with Path of Fire. Now which is better, getting an increase and then drop back to 30% after 5 months (as you say), or continue with the Living World til we reach 0%?

I don't see any reason spend additional money to get chance additional fail.

So you'd rather see the game die in a year, rather than something that stops the fall and has the chance to lead it again to greatness. Because although you are saying that expansions have the chance of failure, they also have the chance to make something good. The Living World is simple life support without -any- chance of making the game better.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:More players started Path of Fire (79.9%) than played S3E6 (52.7%) meaning if there was no expansion there, S4E1 totals would be lower than 52.7%, the expansion revitalized the game, pushing S4E1 to 57% and stopping the downward trend even temporarily.About grow down % each season part - they do right choose - now instance story line is shorter and more adaptive for current mmo gameplay. % was decreced because sigle story in mmo is bored sometimes if you do it SOLO. Also currently you can't complete sroty line by join and do any part, you should do it step by step. If they will fix this the % will be up again.

That drop exists because we don't have a third expansionI can't say that exp3 not will come .. The some side of exp3 currenty exist. It is already - Grot, Bjora, .. wiht new mastery and some new things.

increase and then drop back to 30% after 5 months (as you say), or continue with the Living World til we reach 0%?"bumps players" a leave. So now we will get so idel grow up wiht 30% constanta.

Because although you are saying that expansions have the chance of failure, they also have the chance to make something good.exp3 as big monetized pack not have chance do any good things.

The Living World is simple life support without -any- chance of making the game better.The Living World is a part of exp 3. They have choose wait and make it as ony big exp patch after 2 years, or spit and feed players each 2-3 month.

@"lare.5129" said:I can't say that exp3 not will come .. The some side of exp3 currenty exist. It is already - Grot, Bjora, .. wiht new mastery and some new things.

That's not exp3 currency, that's Season 5 currency. Same with the new mastery. It's highly unlikely to use these in the next expansion

exp3 as big monetized pack not have chance do any good things.

So far expansions have been bumping the game's revenue and activity high up. It's the Living World that hasn't done any good things so far for the game. The Living World is to keep some of the current players busy, in a steady decline, but it's expansions that push it all up. Also, many games out there shine with expansions, ESO, FF14 to name a few mmorpgs that were revitalized with their expansions. Yes expansions are risky, but they are the only thing that can bring good things to a game, the Living World so far has done nothing good to increase the popularity, activity or revenue of the game.

Yes let's compare how monetized an expansion is compared to what we get in this "Free" version of the game, like what I mentioned earlier Build Templates costing more than a complete expansion or 2 mount skins costing more than an expansion. Fully monetized pieces of nothing, while with an expansion you know what you get, substantial amounts of content, new mechanics, new everything. Let's not compare the costs of an expansion with the scraps we get in the Living World.

What is a big monetized pack is the Living World and all the overpriced expensive "expansion level content" they give us. Content and features we should've had for the price of an expansion, combined with all the other things we get in expansions. But hey I guess many people love free things and let the losers pay for the continued development of the game.

They have choose wait and make it as ony big exp patch after 2 years, or spit and feed players each 2-3 month.

That's not what's happening though. What we are getting in the Living World is NOT expansion content spread over multiple months. It's filler.

You can check what happened with the revenue of the game in early 2015 when they announced Heart of Thorns: it was going UP. You don't even have to release an expansion to make money, just announce that you are making one.

I just played the prelude Story and it seems like a lot of work went into it. I don't know if that's BECAUSE it's the prelude, but it certainly had a LOT of stuff stuffed into it. I can't imagine they have resources to be making an Expac at the same time!

(As a WvW player it made me sad to see all that effort go on content that will be superseded after a couple of months, when WvW has the same old content for 7 years, but I suppose it's the reason I don't pay a subscription fee).

@"maddoctor.2738" said:That's not exp3 currency, that's Season 5 currency. Same with the new mastery. It's highly unlikely to use these in the next expansionso that the difference between Season 5 and exp3 for you? New map ? no, because it have s5 also ..new currency ? again no.Requirement to do some story to go inside? ou, ot is so small in S5 that some palyer don't see it at all.

New elites spec? So as for me I am SURE that IF exp3 will come no any elites will be .. May be we will get some merge of existing two, but one more looks impossible and to much ..New mastery? We have new mastery in S5 ..there is NO any valuable difference between LS an exp.

Yes expansions are risky, but they are the only thing that can bring good things to a game, the Living World so far has done nothing good to increase the popularity, activity or revenue of the game.:))) how can you say about real revenue if you a not top anet manager? How you calculate it ?? All that you can see is total income, without outcome.So if a get total revenue 1M, and spend for exp 1M, in real I get aprox 0. If I get 0.5M, and spend 0.1M, I get 0.4M. We n ot have any real outcome numbers to make investigation it is profitable, or not. Ofc if u a not Anet to manager??

Yes let's compare how monetized an expansion is compared to what we get in this "Free" version of the game, like what I mentioned earlier Build Templates costing more than a complete expansion or 2 mount skins costing more than an expansion. Fully monetized pieces of nothing, while with an expansion you know what you get, substantial amounts of content, new mechanics, new everything. Let's not compare the costs of an expansion with the scraps we get in the Living World.So, you accept my words ??? Because I see - yes. Value of exp can't havesome big vaue. So the attract more easu and cheaper whit other ways ..

What is a big monetized pack is the Living World and all the overpriced expensive "expansion level content" they give us.if you have a job - you can pay, if can't - yo not pay. Someone can't buy chocolate, someone buy new BMW .. This is part of life.

That's not what's happening though. What we are getting in the Living World is NOT expansion content spread over multiple months. It's filler.and people like it.

You can check what happened with the revenue of the game in early 2015 when they announced Heart of Thorns: it was going UP. You don't even have to release an expansion to make money, just announce that you are making one.only top business analytic can know that. Anyway I have mind that exp is very bad and destroy game.

@lare.5129 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:(As a WvW player it made me sad to see all that effort go on content that will be superseded after a couple of monthsyou absolutely right, the bump players will eat it per few months and we will get same picture.At least we'd get the same picture and be a few months later. Otherwise in those few months the picture might become even worse.