Worlds continuing to drop in population?

Acheron.4731

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:I also think invisible tags will contribute to declining activity because many pugs will be deterred from playing. It will be harder for them to organize and coordinate, they get bored, and will just log out.

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to kitten off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

Someone being rude in chat doesn't stop someone from playing. Now I never tell people how to play or what to do with their squads, but I see this as bad for the game mode for both sides. If pugs have nobody to follow, they will lose interest and leave. This leaves less recruits for guilds to keep themselves active, and leads to less fights for everyone.

It would be good to look at the reasons public commanding is so unpopular. Not only commanding but also scouting and PPT roaming.

I would argue on lack of a common goal. It got removed when world linking was introduced. ANet decides the outcome of matchups, not players. With no reason to win a matchup players make goals of their own: top KD ratio, wipe that other guild group, defeat someone in duel, guild missions, ganking stragglers, whatnot. When those side goals are the only content other players feel unwanted.

server pride died with seasons. with the exception of BG. everyone else figured out we lost cuz we didn't buy enough off hour guilds or guilds in general for server pride before player hour caps were implemented.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@shiri.4257 said:

@X T D.6458 said:I also think invisible tags will contribute to declining activity because many pugs will be deterred from playing. It will be harder for them to organize and coordinate, they get bored, and will just log out.

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to kitten off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

Someone being rude in chat doesn't stop someone from playing. Now I never tell people how to play or what to do with their squads, but I see this as bad for the game mode for both sides. If pugs have nobody to follow, they will lose interest and leave. This leaves less recruits for guilds to keep themselves active, and leads to less fights for everyone.

It would be good to look at the reasons public commanding is so unpopular. Not only commanding but also scouting and PPT roaming.

I would argue on lack of a common goal. It got removed when world linking was introduced. ANet decides the outcome of matchups, not players. With no reason to win a matchup players make goals of their own: top KD ratio, wipe that other guild group, defeat someone in duel, guild missions, ganking stragglers, whatnot. When those side goals are the only content other players feel unwanted.

server pride died with seasons. with the exception of BG. everyone else figured out we lost cuz we didn't buy enough off hour guilds or guilds in general for server pride before player hour caps were implemented.

For me the world identity lived on until the linking started. Some, like you, saw it coming even earlier.

Before linking I did hate whenever large guilds migrated to my world. They stayed for month or two while the low rating allowed them to steamroll the opponents. Which boosted the ratings making matchups harder at which point the large guild would migrate out.

The linking and continued lack of migration controls made it even easier for some communities to maintain unhealthy population. The 1-up-1-down system also allowed quick tanking down to stay in unchallenging matchups.

@Straegen.2938 said:The biggest contributer to decline is players aging out of the game and moving on. GW2 has a very active population given its age.

That said, they need to kill the rally mechanic because it really does prevent good guilds from being inclusive. Most guilds would run open tags if they weren't worried about the sheep rallying the other side.

bad players dont take rallying into account. and i recall when it was a no downstate, players just hid in towers. even zergs were afraid to push yolo.

roamers may like it, but to me it was the one day where we simply one bombed others and had no fights.

ppl hate warclaw for their ability to spike. now take account the no downstate it would be like everyone was a warclaw.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Straegen.2938 said:The biggest contributer to decline is players aging out of the game and moving on. GW2 has a very active population given its age.

That said, they need to kill the rally mechanic because it really does prevent good guilds from being inclusive. Most guilds would run open tags if they weren't worried about the sheep rallying the other side.

ppl hate warclaw for their ability to spike. now take account the no downstate it would be like everyone was a warclaw.

there may be some who don’t like that aspect of the Warclaw, that isn’t their primary issue with it.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

there may be some who don’t like that aspect of the Warclaw, that isn’t their primary issue with it.

what is the primary issue?

I'm going out on a limb here, but the rewards in WvW are shit.Sure people do it for the fights, and that is nice. But fights do not buy you anything in this game mode. Whole evening of WvW netts you what, a few gold?A simple farm for an hour, boring ok but still, makes 10 times that.

@aspirine.6852 said:I'm going out on a limb here, but the rewards in WvW are kitten.Sure people do it for the fights, and that is nice. But fights do not buy you anything in this game mode. Whole evening of WvW netts you what, a few gold?A simple farm for an hour, boring ok but still, makes 10 times that.

You aren’t wrong. Rewards are poor.

The problem is what do we reward people for?

If it’s taking structures via champ bags then it becomes a ktrain.

If it’s pure PPT focused, it becomes a camp fest.

If it’s pure PPK then there is kill trading.,

If it’s just ‘show up and get something’ (participation like now) then it’s boring AFK fest.,

Tournaments were a cluster..

I don’t know @aspirine.6852

@bluberblasen.9684 said:bring people to wvw ???

• tripple the gold gain
  • increase the rewards
  • give more world xp
  • better balance.. -_-
  • SKINS FOR siege weapons
  • SKINS for Castle, Keep, Tower, Camp and Dolyaks
  • better ping / less skilllags

I am on board with all that.As @Strider Pj.2193 said it may be hard to delineate b/w actual contribution and those there to fix smc walls (while still be trebbed) prior to afk'ing...But, at this point, the more the merrier. I am sure they could just fix xp where you only get initial repair activity then it diminishes and shorter afk periods or time in spawn.@XenesisII.1540 Those were great days :)All we need is Crosius to come back, Veridian to bring BORP, and Brownrecluse to hold down EBG and Ebay will make it to T1 in no time. Look out BG.

• 3 months later...

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:Join Ebay!Pros: PLENTY of room for your ENTIRE guild or guilds to join

Cons: you will be the only ones there :(

Woe, CoT, Ebay, Para, oG, ICEE, Rome, Zerg, GH with special guest Rekz, TV, Gods, PS.The good ole mid days.

Well Ebay (GnG now I believe) /Para (Zodiac I think leads them on reset...am at work so yea) still around...so is one Rome person, brown is still around also see him at times in ebg doing his own things ;)Am gonna resurrect one of my guilds into Conglomerate of Terror and start practicing tagging up besides havocking with my dudes...maybe I can become decent by the end of WvW closure...would be nice to have a fight guild on ehmry instead of now relying on the host server...FA zerging kinda rekindling my soul...plus x and xx server fights this week been pretty fun overall.

I really miss following Crosius aka loud!....Khal aka quiet....Souless aka patient.And I believe Goldy used to be the commander in the very beginning when I made it to ebg...

Good memories...sad they cant last longer...CheersSanji

@StrawHat.2639 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:Join Ebay!Pros: PLENTY of room for your ENTIRE guild or guilds to join

Cons: you will be the only ones there :(

Woe, CoT, Ebay, Para, oG, ICEE, Rome, Zerg, GH with special guest Rekz, TV, Gods, PS.The good ole mid days.

Well Ebay (GnG now I believe) /Para (Zodiac I think leads them on reset...am at work so yea) still around...so is one Rome person, brown is still around also see him at times in ebg doing his own things ;)Am gonna resurrect one of my guilds into Conglomerate of Terror and start practicing tagging up besides havocking with my dudes...maybe I can become decent by the end of WvW closure...would be nice to have a fight guild on ehmry instead of now relying on the host server...FA zerging kinda rekindling my soul...plus x and xx server fights this week been pretty fun overall.

I really miss following Crosius aka loud!....Khal aka quiet....Souless aka patient.And I believe Goldy used to be the commander in the very beginning when I made it to ebg...

Good memories...sad they cant last longer...CheersSanji

May the schwartz be with you Pirate Cook

Yup, those were the good ol days.Great people, great fun.

As I've stated before, the main problem is over-reliance on siege (its hard for small groups to do anything but flip camps once everything is T3), and the lack of true end-game which every other RvR game has. I feel like ArenaNet intended the rewards to counter these flaws, but getting more chests doesn't help people fight blobs several times their size, or take T3 objectives, let alone make any kind of push for enemy keeps.

Because of this lately I mostly just see groups of people farming each other for hours in open field or at SMC.

Its supposed to be an objective-based wargame but taking objectives is both the most difficult thing to do, the most wasteful (they never get defended, and only end up being flipped again minutes later), and the most pointless, as it leads to nothing but scores.

Things like cheese builds do contribute, but they're only a small part of the overall picture. Most people are bored of being bored.

This is the biggest reason why randoms are unwanted. Because the Rally mechanic has no legitimate place in any PvP environment. It only serves to completely validate server stacking and omin-zerging. It also demotivate running with random players for they more than likely cause the enemy team to win than yours.