Rhytlock our best mate so far?

iRedfox.3198

Is Rhytlock our best mate in GW2 so far? I mean he was with us trough all of our jorneys (well most of them) even though he has done some stupid things from time to time (like freeng Balthazar from his prison [even though he didn't know it was him] just to make his lighter work again).

Interesting that in LS2 he doesn't seem very "close" to us and basically almost worried about the ghosts than the fight dragons, in HOT he is with us but dont talk too much having few dialogues. In LS3 hes gotta called back by theyr "big boss" at Black Citadel and dont had much screening time, although he is the first to enter the dragons watch, basically a "founding member" alongside commander.

Perhaps this impression its because just he's very well build in POF. Hes dialogue in Glint Lair about "i need a win, commander" is very touching and deep.

Rytlock Brimstone: I failed my guildmates, Commander. I failed Glint.Rytlock Brimstone: Balthazar wasn't the only one I ran into during my time in the Mists.Rytlock Brimstone: I also met Glint. She taught me the ways of the revenant.Rytlock Brimstone: I thought she meant for me to finish the job Destiny's Edge started. But here we are, trying to save Kralkatorrik.Rytlock Brimstone: That damned dragon is still alive, and Glint, Snaff, and Eir...they're all dead.Rytlock Brimstone: (sigh) I need a win, boss. I gotta make this right. Let's take Balthazar down.

My bet is that in POF the devs dont wanted risk much, and bring the ones most easy to deal, Rytlock because his past is like Konig said, a "white board", and Canach whose sense of humor is popular with players.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Interesting that in LS2 he doesn't seem very "close" to us and basically almost worried about the ghosts than the fight dragons, in HOT he is with us but dont talk too much having few dialogues. In LS3 hes gotta called back by theyr "big boss" at Black Citadel and dont had much screening time, although he is the first to enter the dragons watch, basically a "founding member" alongside commander.

Perhaps this impression its because just he's very well build in POF. Hes dialogue in Glint Lair about "i need a win, commander" is very touching and deep.

Rytlock Brimstone: I failed my guildmates, Commander. I failed Glint.Rytlock Brimstone: Balthazar wasn't the only one I ran into during my time in the Mists.Rytlock Brimstone: I also met Glint. She taught me the ways of the revenant.Rytlock Brimstone: I thought she meant for me to finish the job Destiny's Edge started. But here we are, trying to save Kralkatorrik.Rytlock Brimstone: That damned dragon is still alive, and Glint, Snaff, and Eir...they're all dead.Rytlock Brimstone: (sigh) I need a win, boss. I gotta make this right. Let's take Balthazar down.

My bet is that in POF the devs dont wanted risk much, and bring the ones most easy to deal, Rytlock because his past is like Konig said, a "white board", and Canach whose sense of humor is popular with players.

I suspect it was less that they considered Rytlock a blank slate, and more that the community was getting toxic about almost all of the biconics by the end of S3. Cycling in older fan favorites was pretty much a necessity, and Rytlock had always been one of the more popular DE characters.

To address the question, though, I think he just might be. Rytlock and... maybe Marjory are the only characters in the guild that the Commander treats as peers, and by this point Rytlock's definitely been around for more than Marjory.

I think Taimi has been the most consistently loyal person out of all our currently living allies.Everyone else ran off at one point or another. Taimi is even working for our guild when not on screen, whether people like it or not.

Personally, I don't know about Rytlock. I remember trying to talk about the story to someone who does not play the game. When it came to Rytlock, I just couldn't come up with a single character trait. I feel like I don't really know him at all, even after all those years of ingame story. That's really weird and as a player I feel more connected to Crecia who we just met than to him. :lol: I don't even dislike him. I'm just sometimes a bit surprised how easily the Commander trusts him despite knowing basically nothing about him (HoT, PoF mostly), but so far it seems to work out, so whatever.

@"Fenella.2634" said:I think Taimi has been the most consistently loyal person out of all our currently living allies.Everyone else ran off at one point or another. Taimi is even working for our guild when not on screen, whether people like it or not.

Personally, I don't know about Rytlock. I remember trying to talk about the story to someone who does not play the game. When it came to Rytlock, I just couldn't come up with a single character trait. I feel like I don't really know him at all, even after all those years of ingame story. That's really weird and as a player I feel more connected to Crecia who we just met than to him. :lol: I don't even dislike him. I'm just sometimes a bit surprised how easily the Commander trusts him despite knowing basically nothing about him (HoT, PoF mostly), but so far it seems to work out, so whatever.

This seems intentional by the story writers; Rytlock is meant to be enigmatic.

While characters like Canach and Taimi are meant to be front-liners in regards to their personality and motivations, Rytlock isn't. The exact reasons for this aren't revealed directly to us; but we have received some backstory (see the wiki for a full summary of what we know) and more or less similar to Caithe we know that Rytlock has "seen some kitten" and that's why he is the way that he is.

The whole point is, we don't need to know about him, we can just rely on him. That's who and what he is.

He's almost like a father figure to the PC, really.Rytlock: FatherEir: Mother (formerly) [the irony here]Braham & Rox: SiblingsTaimi: ChildLogan: UncleCaithe: Crazy auntCanach: Best friend

Did I forget Zojja? Hm, it seems like she never existed.. Oh wait, that's ArenaNet.

I feel like braham is slowly looking to us as a parental unit or role-model now. Durring the lead up to fighting kralk he really came into his own, and he apologized as well called us family. I think he will be much closer to us by the end of all this if we all survive and I think rytlock has always been our best friend since HoT and even prior a bit because he called for us personally to help with the ritual for the foe-fire. And when he returned he did have some diolouge but I believe the reason they removed him durring S3 is because they didn't at the time know how to handle or deal with him considering the creator of the revenant had dipped out.

and considering Rytlock was the first revenant they had no idea what effect that they had initially intended going forward, for his story as the first. They eventually explain that he showed some charr how to channel the mists and the renegades were born as a result. The real question is how will the other races In universe within the lore become revenants and will each have their own unique legends that they call upon who link with them more firmly than the others? Kalla clearly is more linked to charr in the lore, which is why she probably even willingly is channeled to continue to aid her people.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:I feel like braham is slowly looking to us as a parental unit or role-model now.

its something that i hate very most, i wonder why anet insist in put to us some "child" which we should take care of, i had my theories but i will guard to myself, but I'm definitely the kind of guy who hates babysitting, I don't like the role of "psychologist" either, i understand that commander is a leader and is part of leadership role encourage, but I wonder if any famous generals have ever wasted time with "sentimental" soldiers because he had "mom issues"...... Braham is our subordinate he should be punished by his failures.

This is i miss from personal history, in personal history we dont had "special babys" to take care, even with humam chosing to have a little sister, our "little sister" aka Deborah dont cry baby like Taimi/Braham.

Bring Back Galinda and Snarl, Deborah, Tegwen and Carys anyone of them is better than Braham/Taimi.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Braham is our subordinate he should be punished by his failures.

Technically, Dragon's Watch is a merry band of friends, so Braham is not a subordinate.Arenanet merely has chosen to call the player Commander in place of a name, because constantly being called "you" annoyed people.

This is i miss from personal history, i personal history we dont had "special babys" to take care.Sieran was as much of a "special baby" as you make Braham one.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Braham is our subordinate he should be punished by his failures.

Technically, Dragon's Watch is a merry band of friends, so Braham is not a subordinate.Arenanet merely has chosen to call the player Commander in place of a name, because constantly being called "you" annoyed people.

This is i miss from personal history, i personal history we dont had "special babys" to take care.Sieran was as much of a "special baby" as you make Braham one.

I didn't care for Sieran either, personally. Especially as a charr, I've wished for the ability to backhand Braham a few times. Even my female charr isn't THAT soft and cuddly.

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:I've wished for the ability to backhand Braham a few times.I've wished for that as well.But we can't have the player beat up their friends, sadly.I'd also have liked too smear super glue on Taimi's uncovered behind and press it onto one of the many giant rocks in the game, especially during the Phlunt stuff in LS2.She just can't keep still.

@Fenella.2634 said:I think Taimi has been the most consistently loyal person out of all our currently living allies.Everyone else ran off at one point or another. Taimi is even working for our guild when not on screen, whether people like it or not.

Well, if you like playing charr (like i do), in the personal story of the commander, Rhytlock appears all the time and treates you as someone on his level and his friend. This is the moment where the trust comes from, but only if you play as a charr.. :D

@iRedfox.3198 said:Is Rhytlock our best mate in GW2 so far? I mean he was with us trough all of our jorneys (well most of them) even though he has done some stupid things from time to time (like freeng Balthazar from his prison [even though he didn't know it was him] just to make his lighter work again).

Rytlock is a rogue agent. From the way that his requiem reads, his independent streak is partly due to physical contact with Sohothin. It's almost as though his mind is no longer fully his own and he serves the will of the sword.

Rytlock didn't tell us about his meeting with the old man in the Mists. He hasn't explained why he recognised Jormag's voice. Hell, he hasn't explained much of anything, really. When faced with the prospect of losing either his son or Almorra, he'd prefer to lose Almorra, in spite of all the metaphysical knowledge that his Mist walking afforded him. Lazy writing, anyone? Probably. But one thing the quality of writing will never change is the fact that Rytlock isn't our best friend and he certainly isn't trustworthy.

@Stephen.6312 said:

@iRedfox.3198 said:Is Rhytlock our best mate in GW2 so far? I mean he was with us trough all of our jorneys (well most of them) even though he has done some stupid things from time to time (like freeng Balthazar from his prison [even though he didn't know it was him] just to make his lighter work again).

Rytlock is a rogue agent. From the way that his requiem reads, his independent streak is partly due to physical contact with Sohothin. It's almost as though his mind is no longer fully his own and he serves the will of the sword.It read more like he let the sword's power go to his head.

@Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:

@Stephen.6312 said:He hasn't explained why he recognised Jormag's voice. Hell, he hasn't explained much of anything, really.

I just assumed he recognized it because he'd been hearing it in his head all day like the rest of us?

Well Jormag did say dreaming beneath the ice and since Braham was there when Jormag went to sleep after Primordus energy attacks, it makes sense for him to be the one to say “Jormag...”

@"Fueki.4753" said:Arenanet merely has chosen to call the player Commander in place of a name, because constantly being called "you" annoyed people.More science should go to AI driven voice sampling to dynamically patch in player names during NPC dialogue as a replacement or suffix for "Commander". "Commander [insert name here], a word please." One can dream.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Arenanet merely has chosen to call the player Commander in place of a name, because constantly being called "you" annoyed people.More science should go to AI driven voice sampling to dynamically patch in player names during NPC dialogue as a replacement or suffix for "Commander". "Commander [insert name here], a word please." One can dream.

And you think some AI could recognize every language there is? That's even not including fantasy names some people made up.I'd rather have a replacement like Commander (or even Poobah) than hearing an U.S.A-English pronounciation of my character's names (which aren't English).

Language isn't so much a problem as the ones that have nothing to do with language. What would happen when the program encountered a character called "Xxyxx fllp"? Or, alternatively, what would it do to the serious moments when one of the characters turns around and asks Commander Clowncream if they're feeling the tension too?

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:And you think some AI could recognize every language there is?I'm pretty sure non-English text-to-speech exists.

But the AI would need to detect which language is meant.Let's assume someone plays the game in English, but their Character has the German name Michael Christian Knipp.How would your proposed AI know Whether Michael and Christian are supposed to be pronounced in English or German?How would the AI know the the Kn is actually pronounced as Kn instead of just n (like in knowledge)?How would the AI know the i in Knipp is pronounced as the i in knitting, rather than the i in knife?

Still not practical, as different NPCs have different relationships with the PC and it's pretty hard to find a way to address him or her already. Already they are called Commander by Pact-related NPCs and Champion by the dragons. If we now added player choice, this would end in chaos. Braham calling us "Poobah", Bangar calling us "Sir"... XD

I know the replacement names are not perfect, but I think Anet found rather good solutions here.