Will 3rd Expansion happen at all?

yefluke.3168

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highly unlikely. Expansions are a risk. They require much investment in development and marketing. And considering the game age and recent progress, seems highly unlikely. From how things been going in 2019, it does not seem like NCSOFT is willing to make this happen. Just keep this one episode every three month. Try to monetize as much as possible. You will continue to lose players and employees, but it is a safe bet to keep monetizing the game for years to come.

@"lare.5129" said:So, you accept my words ???

I'll write it a bit more simple: I'd rather get all the content of an expansion instead of the similarly priced "expansion level content" that we get with the Living World. You want -some- players to pay for overpriced "expansion level content" so free loaders can continue playing the game. That's the free to play model, only this game ain't exactly free. We already see where it leads: to an exodus of players and reduction in both population and revenue, as clearly deduced by the data. If players liked the Living World content then we would see a surge in both players and revenue, but we don't. Facts and actual data suggest that expansions are better for the game and for its players.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"lare.5129" said:So, you accept my words ???

I'll write it a bit more simple: I'd rather get all the content of an expansion instead of the similarly priced "expansion level content" that we get with the Living World. You want -some- players to pay for overpriced "expansion level content" so free loaders can continue playing the game. That's the free to play model, only this game ain't exactly free. We already see where it leads: to an exodus of players and reduction in both population and revenue, as clearly deduced by the data. If players liked the Living World content then we would see a surge in both players and revenue, but we don't. Facts and actual data suggest that expansions are better for the game and for its players.

I fully agree. In general, MMOs are a dying breed. The ones (including myself) that still play them, are used to subscription based games, with an expansion every 1-2 years & no ingame store. I'll take a sub based MMO anyday--in fact, there are a few games coming out, going back to that model.

@"shippage.1983" said:I wouldn't mind if they kept releasing Sagas. All I want is more Elite specs!All DO NOT want more Elite specs. Some people at all want change current 2 elite to one merged. OR just make one "tree".Anyway I am not see any tie between elite spec and exp. If you want "more Elite specs" you should as "more Elite specs" but not exp. This is not same.

@Sovari.7246 said:I think that PoF was hurt by IGN or Gamespot not reviewing it. So the massive amounts of casual gamers were not even aware of PoF. I'm sure if the expansion got more buzz with new influx of players I think we could have had a 3rd one already.

it is end game content, so new players cant even play it. and most casuals wont pay for hardcore content.even the best ads cant compete with word of mouth

@battledrone.8315 said:

@Sovari.7246 said:I think that PoF was hurt by IGN or Gamespot not reviewing it. So the massive amounts of casual gamers were not even aware of PoF. I'm sure if the expansion got more buzz with new influx of players I think we could have had a 3rd one already.

it is end game content, so new players cant even play it. and most casuals wont pay for hardcore content.even the best ads cant compete with word of mouth

You are saying the core game isn't good enough to keep new player attention until they get to level 80? Because that's the only requirement to access Path of Fire and it's not hardcore content at all

@"maddoctor.2738" said:I'll write it a bit more simple: I'd rather get all the content of an expansion instead of the similarly priced "expansion level content" that we get with the Living World.I am sure they calculate how to make it more profitable, also they calculate players who make environment world more active and who have chance do not accept way to additional pay, and who have good job and not see problem to buy templates to each 9 slots.

You want -some- players to pay for overpriced "expansion level content" so free loaders can continue playing the game.This is not my "want". This is vision of businesses managers. As I think, this is for some people not overpriced, and how I see "free loaders" ir a part of game-play, like npc.What the reason pay but don't have in party for group content and stand in Lion Arch ??I am sure that at less half in my dayli non-prime time cms group how you say "free loaders", but if they absent this content is dead.The game nowadays need that "free loaders" more that any current or new elite spec, any expansion, or any another current or future feature.

Facts and actual data suggest that expansions are better for the game and for its players.no facts. We a not Anet busssnes managers to say about facts.What I see that new people come, I see that useless "one month bump payers" leave. As for me better have 1 continuous player, than 12+ "bumps". I am can't be sure, but think managers think same.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"lare.5129" said:I can't say that exp3 not will come .. The some side of exp3 currenty exist. It is already - Grot, Bjora, .. wiht new mastery and some new things.

That's not exp3 currency, that's Season 5 currency. Same with the new mastery. It's highly unlikely to use these in the next expansion

exp3 as big monetized pack not have chance do any good things.

So far expansions have been bumping the game's revenue and activity high up. It's the Living World that hasn't done any good things so far for the game. The Living World is to keep some of the current players busy, in a steady decline, but it's expansions that push it all up. Also, many games out there shine with expansions, ESO, FF14 to name a few mmorpgs that were revitalized with their expansions. Yes expansions are risky, but they are the only thing that can bring good things to a game, the Living World so far has done nothing good to increase the popularity, activity or revenue of the game.

Yes let's compare how monetized an expansion is compared to what we get in this "Free" version of the game, like what I mentioned earlier Build Templates costing more than a complete expansion or 2 mount skins costing more than an expansion. Fully monetized pieces of nothing, while with an expansion you know what you get, substantial amounts of content, new mechanics, new everything. Let's not compare the costs of an expansion with the scraps we get in the Living World.

What is a big monetized pack is the Living World and all the overpriced expensive "expansion level content" they give us. Content and features we should've had for the price of an expansion, combined with all the other things we get in expansions. But hey I guess many people love free things and let the losers pay for the continued development of the game.

They have choose wait and make it as ony big exp patch after 2 years, or spit and feed players each 2-3 month.

That's not what's happening though. What we are getting in the Living World is NOT expansion content spread over multiple months. It's filler.

You can check what happened with the revenue of the game in early 2015 when they announced Heart of Thorns: it was going UP. You don't even have to release an expansion to make money, just announce that you are making one.

The gw2 hype is dead. I dont think an expansion will change that. Unless it is a real expansion with new systems, races, dungeons and raids.

Think people just realise that anet cannot keep this product going.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

You are saying the core game isn't good enough to keep new player attention until they get to level 80? Because that's the only requirement to access Path of Fire and it's not hardcore content at all

the core game is free, so they wont make much money on that . and the last maps in core are very disappointing, compared to the rest (IMO)the people, who like core are generally not fans of the expansions, and vise versathat is why most expansions give the casuals something too..new race or class

@lare.5129 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:I'll write it a bit more simple: I'd rather get all the content of an expansion instead of the similarly priced "expansion level content" that we get with the Living World.I am sure they calculate how to make it more profitable, also they calculate players who make environment world more active and who have chance do not accept way to additional pay, and who have good job and not see problem to buy templates to each 9 slots.Oh, i am sure of it as well. Problem is, after all that we've still arrived at the current situation, which is really bad. That doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence about their decision making.

You want -some- players to pay for overpriced "expansion level content" so free loaders can continue playing the game.This is not my "want". This is vision of businesses managers.See above. This being their business decision doesn't automatically make it a good decision. Or the game wouldn't be in the current state.

What the reason pay but don't have in party for group content and stand in Lion Arch ??I am sure that at less half in my dayli non-prime time cms group how you say "free loaders", but if they absent this content is dead.The game nowadays need that "free loaders" more that any current or new elite spec, any expansion, or any another current or future feature.Those "free-loaders" are leaving as well, if you haven't noticed. The current model doesn't seem to be enough to keep them in game.

Facts and actual data suggest that expansions are better for the game and for its players.no facts. We a not Anet busssnes managers to say about facts.You might have missed the big January layoffs. Or maybe you consider them a sign that Anet's doing perfectly wel on the business side of things.

What I see that new people come, I see that useless "one month bump payers" leave. As for me better have 1 continuous player, than 12+ "bumps". I am can't be sure, but think managers think same.And i see those "continuous players" of yours leaving as well. Funny how that works. In the end, you're not choosing between "12+ bumps" and "1 continuous player". You are choosing between " 12+ bumps and 1 continuous player, that will eventually leave" and "no bumps and 1 continuous player that will leave even sooner".

@battledrone.8315 said:the core game is free, so they wont make much money on that . and the last maps in core are very disappointing, compared to the rest (IMO)the people, who like core are generally not fans of the expansions, and vise versathat is why most expansions give the casuals something too..new race or class

The core game might be free but the gem store isn't, that's like saying free to play games make no money. Expansions are things to chase further down the line, but if the game is suffering from retention issues it's not because expansions are hard, it's because the core game wasn't good enough to keep the player attention until they got to the expansion in the first place. The majority of players that quit the game were because of the core game and Arenanet has been trying to play catch up and stop the exodus since November 2012 (one of the reasons they gave for the introduction of Ascended gear). I'm not sure those who like the core are enough to sustain the game alone.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I posted the facts in charts which you ignored.We not have facts. We not Anet businesses analytic center. All that you can see is revenue without additional pays, and real product coast.

But let's go the other around, where is your proof that expansions hurt the game?so you suggest do some big work 1-2 years, get some, how your % say decreaced player count who buy it, play one mumped monht and leave? What a point to do taht ??Do you put all you money and property to risk ? For that? Get same picture after few month ??pof get -20% than hot. Mounts not help? Cuurenlty now is perfect time, we get new players, no bumped useless palyers, some changes, it is very good.

currently now is a lot of free-to-play games so some part of continues players can leftand they do that. And some of them back. Some not. Don't see any problem.

@DutchRiders.2871 said:Think people just realise that anet cannot keep this product going.Keep that? I havenew LS5, templates and still have fractals, wvw and nice spvp.People not instersted in new systems, races. Aslo mostly of them not intersted in new dungeons and raids.I still see so small people count who create mostly all legendary weapons and have 40k achiv. So thiere is no any point to do new content if current still not complete.

@lare.5129 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:You might have missed the big January layoffs. Or maybe you consider them a sign that Anet's doing perfectly wel on the business side of things.I was see that and sure that this is very good business idea and accept it. Hold the Door !Who want will find, who don't need - don't get. This is current slogan.

Didn't the layoff reduce the workforce to about what it was before? Weren't most of those laid off working on other projects outside of GW2?

@lare.5129 said:We not have facts.

The charts are actually facts you don't have to be a business analyst to interpret them. They show both revenue and activity. That you can't see them it's your own fault and can't do much to help there.As for the rest of your comments about players not wanting content because there is lots of it in the game, you should be aware that players quit the game -because- there is no content. At least no content that they find enjoyable.I suggest to have both an expansion and the living world, expansions to bring old players back and new players in, living world to keep them busy until the next expansion. It's as simple as that and how it worked in between the two expansions we got and kept the game going. Now we are on a downwards spiral with no end in sight (until we reach the actual bottom)