Worlds continuing to drop in population? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Worlds continuing to drop in population?

Acheron.4731Acheron.4731 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2019 in WvW

It is no mystery why wvw has been in a sharp decline lately...poor balance, neglect, stagnation, loss of server pride or desire to stay in certain tiers.....
Without this becoming a MU thread does anyone have a run-down on the numbers of guilds that have quit, disbanded, or taken a break from wvw lately?
Which tiers did they play, why did they leave? I am just curious.
Consider this a way to pay homage to our fallen comrades....good or bad,. wvw wouldn't have been the same without you :)

Don't Worry, My Dutch is OK

<1

Comments

• X T D.6458X T D.6458 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    Or they bumped the threshold up like they did in EU which would explain the BG temp opening but yeah how many these threads about less players we need?

I doubt it. I dont keep up with this stuff anymore, but just from what I've heard in game is that we have had people leave the server recently after our most popular commander decided to quit/take a break. We have also had less activity as a result since he stopped commanding, which given the timeframe would explain why we opened when we did.

Somewhere chasing bags....

• Acheron.4731Acheron.4731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    Or they bumped the threshold up like they did in EU which would explain the BG temp opening but yeah how many these threads about less players we need?

Obviously just one more.
    Just wanted confirmation about certain guilds. And yes, XTD is right...when Cookie took a break there was a pretty sharp decline soon after.

• TheBravery.9615TheBravery.9615 Member ✭✭✭

Press F to pay respects.

F

• Korgov.7645Korgov.7645 Member ✭✭✭

@X T D.6458 said:
    I also think invisible tags will contribute to declining activity because many pugs will be deterred from playing. It will be harder for them to organize and coordinate, they get bored, and will just log out.

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to kitten off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:
    It is no mystery why wvw has been in a sharp decline lately...

How much of it do you think has to do with these copy pasta bonus events they’ve been spamming the past several months as filler?

Oh, no doubt. The appearance of phoning everything in finally tipped the balance.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

There definitely seems to be fewer ppl on nowadays but at least there is always someone to fight. I remember pre-links there were long stretches in the lower tiers where you would literally see zero enemy players for hours at a time . . .

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:
    I also think invisible tags will contribute to declining activity because many pugs will be deterred from playing. It will be harder for them to organize and coordinate, they get bored, and will just log out.

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to kitten off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

Someone being rude in chat doesn't stop someone from playing. Now I never tell people how to play or what to do with their squads, but I see this as bad for the game mode for both sides. If pugs have nobody to follow, they will lose interest and leave. This leaves less recruits for guilds to keep themselves active, and leads to less fights for everyone.

It would be good to look at the reasons public commanding is so unpopular. Not only commanding but also scouting and PPT roaming.

I would argue on lack of a common goal. It got removed when world linking was introduced. ANet decides the outcome of matchups, not players. With no reason to win a matchup players make goals of their own: top KD ratio, wipe that other guild group, defeat someone in duel, guild missions, ganking stragglers, whatnot. When those side goals are the only content other players feel unwanted.

=) they need to tie in to pve the world v world like the old days.

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Jaruselka.5943Jaruselka.5943 Member ✭✭✭

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

Someone being rude in chat doesn't stop someone from playing. Now I never tell people how to play or what to do with their squads, but I see this as bad for the game mode for both sides. If pugs have nobody to follow, they will lose interest and leave. This leaves less recruits for guilds to keep themselves active, and leads to less fights for everyone.

It would be good to look at the reasons public commanding is so unpopular. Not only commanding but also scouting and PPT roaming.

I would argue on lack of a common goal. It got removed when world linking was introduced. ANet decides the outcome of matchups, not players. With no reason to win a matchup players make goals of their own: top KD ratio, wipe that other guild group, defeat someone in duel, guild missions, ganking stragglers, whatnot. When those side goals are the only content other players feel unwanted.

um...no.

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

You mean like in ultima online where you are only safe in town? Hehe

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

no, where our performance in wvw affects the words pve bonus for players of x server x link.

edited August 20, 2019

lol, @DemonSeed.3528 they had the same feature in Archlord. If people had a problem with each other they would say 'meet me at south gate' which opened up outside the city.

@Acheron.4731 said:
    lol, @DemonSeed.3528 they had the same feature in Archlord. If people had a problem with each other they would say 'meet me at south gate' which opened up outside the city.

haha, worlds like that were kind of interesting. I also remember full dex guys running around town pickpocketing people especially near banks. we would also lure pk's near guards so they would get killed.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

GUARDS! Thwack! ooOOooOOoo

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Straegen.2938Straegen.2938 Member ✭✭✭

The biggest contributer to decline is players aging out of the game and moving on. GW2 has a very active population given its age.

That said, they need to kill the rally mechanic because it really does prevent good guilds from being inclusive. Most guilds would run open tags if they weren't worried about the sheep rallying the other side.

@Excursion.9752 said:
    GUARDS! Thwack! ooOOooOOoo

I also like that it says who died in the chat lol. I wonder what mount combat would be like in WvW, maybe allow to toggle between combat mode or flee mode for speed. In uo I recall being able to fight while mounted. Don't know if that would being more people in though.

@Cuks.8241 said:
    Warclaw didn't help. F2P players probably left (speculation). It also doesn't help with new players. For a complete newbie WvW can be daunting by itself but now you're also left in the dust. Sure the task might seem easy for veterans but if you are completely new... Never saw any advantage for making differences between players in pvp.
    I don't really understand invisible tags for WvW. It is a server wide cooperation it is better that you are seen. I like to solo roam and will scout and help wilth supply train and enemy gankers. I get you don't want pugs and that is just fine, I will keep my distance. But if I know where you are and what is your goal we can help each other. Luckily my server is quite active and tags and everyone else often coordinate and work together.

if your community coordinates, hidden tag, not hidden tag won't matter. it's just the casuals. they want it easy, but wvw is easy for the veterans, but to new ones; it's not.

• shiri.4257shiri.4257 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

server pride died with seasons. with the exception of BG. everyone else figured out we lost cuz we didn't buy enough off hour guilds or guilds in general for server pride before player hour caps were implemented.

Spectre [VII] - Wood League Champion. Making "fight guilds" stack on higher tiers since 2013.
    Michelin rated WvW guild since 2015. The gold standard. Never transferred, never reformed, adapting and reloading with or without Anet.

Join Ebay!
    Pros: PLENTY of room for your ENTIRE guild or guilds to join

Cons: you will be the only ones there :(

• Yeah they removed power of the mists when the warbringer backpack and pips came out. I always wondered if that affected raids at all.
    The comment on free to play players made me laugh because aren't 90% of those all just alt accounts?

• Korgov.7645Korgov.7645 Member ✭✭✭

@shiri.4257 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

server pride died with seasons. with the exception of BG. everyone else figured out we lost cuz we didn't buy enough off hour guilds or guilds in general for server pride before player hour caps were implemented.

For me the world identity lived on until the linking started. Some, like you, saw it coming even earlier.

Before linking I did hate whenever large guilds migrated to my world. They stayed for month or two while the low rating allowed them to steamroll the opponents. Which boosted the ratings making matchups harder at which point the large guild would migrate out.

The linking and continued lack of migration controls made it even easier for some communities to maintain unhealthy population. The 1-up-1-down system also allowed quick tanking down to stay in unchallenging matchups.

edited August 21, 2019

@Straegen.2938 said:
    The biggest contributer to decline is players aging out of the game and moving on. GW2 has a very active population given its age.

That said, they need to kill the rally mechanic because it really does prevent good guilds from being inclusive. Most guilds would run open tags if they weren't worried about the sheep rallying the other side.

bad players dont take rallying into account. and i recall when it was a no downstate, players just hid in towers. even zergs were afraid to push yolo.

roamers may like it, but to me it was the one day where we simply one bombed others and had no fights.

ppl hate warclaw for their ability to spike. now take account the no downstate it would be like everyone was a warclaw.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Straegen.2938 said:

ppl hate warclaw for their ability to spike. now take account the no downstate it would be like everyone was a warclaw.

there may be some who don’t like that aspect of the Warclaw, that isn’t their primary issue with it.

Thank You for the {MEME}

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Straegen.2938 said:

there may be some who don’t like that aspect of the Warclaw, that isn’t their primary issue with it.

what is the primary issue?

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm going out on a limb here, but the rewards in WvW are kitten.
    Sure people do it for the fights, and that is nice. But fights do not buy you anything in this game mode. Whole evening of WvW netts you what, a few gold?
    A simple farm for an hour, boring ok but still, makes 10 times that.

@aspirine.6852 said:
    I'm going out on a limb here, but the rewards in WvW are kitten.
    Sure people do it for the fights, and that is nice. But fights do not buy you anything in this game mode. Whole evening of WvW netts you what, a few gold?
    A simple farm for an hour, boring ok but still, makes 10 times that.

You aren’t wrong. Rewards are poor.

The problem is what do we reward people for?

If it’s taking structures via champ bags then it becomes a ktrain.

If it’s pure PPT focused, it becomes a camp fest.

If it’s pure PPK then there is kill trading.,

If it’s just ‘show up and get something’ (participation like now) then it’s boring AFK fest.,

Tournaments were a cluster..

I don’t know @aspirine.6852

Thank You for the {MEME}

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019

@Acheron.4731 said:
    Join Ebay!

Woe, CoT, Ebay, Para, oG, ICEE, Rome, Zerg, GH with special guest Rekz, TV, Gods, PS.
    The good ole mid days.

• bring people to wvw ???

• tripple the gold gain
    • increase the rewards
    • give more world xp
    • better balance.. -_-
    • SKINS FOR siege weapons
    • SKINS for Castle, Keep, Tower, Camp and Dolyaks
    • better ping / less skilllags

@bluberblasen.9684 said:
    bring people to wvw ???

• tripple the gold gain
    • increase the rewards
    • give more world xp
    • better balance.. -_-
    • SKINS FOR siege weapons
    • SKINS for Castle, Keep, Tower, Camp and Dolyaks
    • better ping / less skilllags

I am on board with all that.
    As @Strider Pj.2193 said it may be hard to delineate b/w actual contribution and those there to fix smc walls (while still be trebbed) prior to afk'ing...But, at this point, the more the merrier. I am sure they could just fix xp where you only get initial repair activity then it diminishes and shorter afk periods or time in spawn.
    @XenesisII.1540 Those were great days :)
    All we need is Crosius to come back, Veridian to bring BORP, and Brownrecluse to hold down EBG and Ebay will make it to T1 in no time. Look out BG.

• You know, i posted a thread about upping rewards for winning each week, and people kitten on me for it. Now WVW population is dying and leaving and yall are posting the same kitten i got kitten on for... ;)

@C Cspace Cowboy.5903 said:
    You know, i posted a thread about upping rewards for winning each week, and people kitten on me for it. Now WVW population is dying and leaving and yall are posting the same kitten i got kitten on for... ;)

You are vindicated :)

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you think giving out more rewards to attract pve puglings is gonna save wvw... then I have one thing to say... heads starts to twitch irregularly
    Good luck getting them past the broken specs that'll just drive them back to pve safeland.

Maybe it will be a way to 'start over' in a sense.
    Train, recruit....just pretend it is season 1

• StrawHat.2639StrawHat.2639 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2019

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:
    Join Ebay!

Woe, CoT, Ebay, Para, oG, ICEE, Rome, Zerg, GH with special guest Rekz, TV, Gods, PS.
    The good ole mid days.

Well Ebay (GnG now I believe) /Para (Zodiac I think leads them on reset...am at work so yea) still around...so is one Rome person, brown is still around also see him at times in ebg doing his own things ;)
    Am gonna resurrect one of my guilds into Conglomerate of Terror and start practicing tagging up besides havocking with my dudes...maybe I can become decent by the end of WvW closure...would be nice to have a fight guild on ehmry instead of now relying on the host server...FA zerging kinda rekindling my soul...plus x and xx server fights this week been pretty fun overall.

I really miss following Crosius aka loud!....Khal aka quiet....Souless aka patient.
    And I believe Goldy used to be the commander in the very beginning when I made it to ebg...

Good memories...sad they cant last longer...
    Cheers
    Sanji

Sanji
    Lost last glimmer of enthusiasm for WvW

Anet dragon has finally defeated the
    **WvW WarBorn **
    He's over 7000!
    Havok lover with a sprinkle of Zerging

• bigo.9037bigo.9037 Member ✭✭✭✭

People who play wvw don't do it for gold/rewards.. what the kitten. They play cus it's fun! So if you wanna bring people in, you gotta maximize the amount of fun in a game. Most players don't play to make gold. This isn't a 2nd job.

@StrawHat.2639 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:
    Join Ebay!

The good ole mid days.

Well Ebay (GnG now I believe) /Para (Zodiac I think leads them on reset...am at work so yea) still around...so is one Rome person, brown is still around also see him at times in ebg doing his own things ;)
    Am gonna resurrect one of my guilds into Conglomerate of Terror and start practicing tagging up besides havocking with my dudes...maybe I can become decent by the end of WvW closure...would be nice to have a fight guild on ehmry instead of now relying on the host server...FA zerging kinda rekindling my soul...plus x and xx server fights this week been pretty fun overall.

I really miss following Crosius aka loud!....Khal aka quiet....Souless aka patient.
    And I believe Goldy used to be the commander in the very beginning when I made it to ebg...

Good memories...sad they cant last longer...
    Cheers
    Sanji

May the schwartz be with you Pirate Cook

Yup, those were the good ol days.
    Great people, great fun.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2019

As I've stated before, the main problem is over-reliance on siege (its hard for small groups to do anything but flip camps once everything is T3), and the lack of true end-game which every other RvR game has. I feel like ArenaNet intended the rewards to counter these flaws, but getting more chests doesn't help people fight blobs several times their size, or take T3 objectives, let alone make any kind of push for enemy keeps.

Because of this lately I mostly just see groups of people farming each other for hours in open field or at SMC.

Its supposed to be an objective-based wargame but taking objectives is both the most difficult thing to do, the most wasteful (they never get defended, and only end up being flipped again minutes later), and the most pointless, as it leads to nothing but scores.

Things like cheese builds do contribute, but they're only a small part of the overall picture. Most people are bored of being bored.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 16k hours, 27k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Alisha Kei/Druid(PvE), Terakura/Spellbreaker & Kitty Koume/Reaper(WvW)
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Fearless.3569Fearless.3569 Member ✭✭✭

@Straegen.2938 said:

This is the biggest reason why randoms are unwanted. Because the Rally mechanic has no legitimate place in any PvP environment. It only serves to completely validate server stacking and omin-zerging. It also demotivate running with random players for they more than likely cause the enemy team to win than yours.

games bleed over time. and gw2 bleeds by losing players. its the way

• Mikhael.2391Mikhael.2391 Member ✭✭✭

Give a black lion key for logging in everyday and doing some dailys every week.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Did you have a nice three day vacation?

Thank You for the {MEME}

edited December 17, 2019

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Did you have a nice three day vacation?

what vacation? grumble grumble. all it does is turn interest into negativity. =) (negative reinforcement deserves the same)

• subversiontwo.7501subversiontwo.7501 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2019

@Sovereign.1093 said:

This is simply untrue. I don't get why that line of thinking keeps popping back up every now and then.

World of Warcraft may be a poor comparison to GW2 when it comes to prospective players counts. However, being the biggest and among the oldest fish around makes WoW a very good example of how MMO works. It took five years for WoW to reach its peak. Since then, the game may no longer have climbed endlessly but there were still as many players in 2016 as there were in 2006. Instead, the best conclusion to draw from the data is that the quality of the continued development of an MMO has a large impact on numbers of players. When there have been bad updates players have been leaving. When there have been good updates players have come back. If there are no updates players tend to leave and if there is competition players may leave and either/or come back depending more on how the former game does than how the new.

b0j1aag43j821.jpg

It goes completely in line with what the genre is all about, continued development, that the quality and reception of the continued content is what affects player data first and foremost. Many other MMO display similar statistics, just not with the same volume and stability over time. So bad MMO tends to die because the core game is bad. Good MMO tends to die when there is a drought in quality updates. GW2 has a proven good core game. It isn't the problem.

This also suggests a couple of simple things. If ArenaNet stops drinking their own kool-aid and actually accomplishes good things player numbers will improve. If they accomplish good things for WvW then the player numbers in the mode will improve. If they accomplish good things for guilds in WvW then the player numbers of players in guilds will improve.

That's the big thing with this thread, with the "my server"-threads, the "grrr linking"-threads and with Alliances. The trend that people in general here seems to have a very hard time to understand is not necessarily that total player numbers are hemorrhaging. The problem is rather what this picture from the Alliance announcement lets us illustrate.

The problem is that players in the blue and the orange have been hemorrhaging and have been replaced by players in the green. The total is likely a deficit, the mode is shrinking, but the big problematic drain is that the few changes that have been made over time and the neglect in general have caused balance issues between the orange, blue and green dots (updates have been vastly insufficient and when attention has been given it has often focused on green dots, which is a problem). The Warclaw is a typical green-dot update (and thus is also mostly a divise topic of discussion among green-dot players).

The problem is that the orange and blue constitues the vast majority of content production in the game mode. Among the green are anonymous pickup players and solo roamers. Among them only the solo roamers produce content and they are rather few. The green dots in total are not few. They may even be a majority today but that is the problem since they make up such a small portion of the content production. They are primarily consumers of content. That is regardless of whether the content is private or public. The blue and orange constitutes the vast majority of both untagged content, closed tagged content and openly tagged content.

That is also what the player migrations are all about. They are about blue (and orange) players moving away from green players to regain access to a higher degree of blue (and orange) players. To shake off a green majority. Then the new server stacks to full as green players follow. That is the problem we are facing right now. It adds to the general issues because every time a migration happens and blue (or orange) players get jammed up in the migration you also risk losing those players, adding to the loss of blue-orange players who create content (with other blue-orange players).

That is also the problem that Alliances faces now that it has taken such an incredibly long time to complete (or even talk about) the project. The blue-orange population is growing so small that even in a cloud (world, server) like in the picture they may risk making up a minority on most (if not all) clouds by the time that the project reaches completion and that means that the same situation we have now risks being recreated with an insufficient minority being relied upon to create content for the cloud.

The mode hinges on far more of the green dots turning into blue and orange dots over time. That is what will turn the negative spiral into a positive spiral again. That will improve the mode. That will improve the game and so forth.