Tanky WvW Rev?

Lonewolf Kai.3682

How would you make a tanky build with sustain in wvw? I’ve tried crunching the numbers with toughness and healing power but can’t seem to find a way to make it worth it, particularly with healing power. I remember revs didn’t have that great of a return value with HP so I know that’s a factor but I am curious to see what others might think.

I ran into a couple revs many months ago that seemed to be running a sustained tank build but never could figure out how they did it. One of them was even 4v1 ‘ing it successfully.

I’m guessing clerics stats with dwarf traits as one at the least. They extensively used upkeep skills when life got half way low.

Minstrel is the way to go, if having much gold to spend. But dont forget, rev is a class that doesnt have much of cleansing, so it can be easily outplayed by an condition class like necros ,thiefs or guardians.

Im actually running an very tanky build with almost the same damage like playing full marauder.

If being a big tank, then i would suggesthttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAw6ZlpQHMLyhdRNMM6hJSfsCKgF/TarF-zRJYjRH/ZkpSoXZgAHA-eJust to say, if completely focusing on tanky, there is very little to 0 damage you make. Also works as a healer with ventari for dwarf.

if thats what you are looking for ^^

reminder: its still vulnerable to condis etc.

If you want to both tank and do damage than you absolutely must avoid Vitality. As you said, the Revenant is not good with Healing Power, which means that they can't heal alot of health even if they take a boost to healpower. Because of this its best to leave their health as low as possible, take alot of armor, and focus on skills and traits that give damage reductions like the hammers from Jalis.

You should also stack your runes, sigils and food accordingly.

The tankiest combination is probably Herald with Jalis and Glint, this is because when traited the Fascets continue to work for a while after casting them, meaning you can switch to Glint, gain a whole bunch of boons, knock-back and a damage-absorbing heal, then switch back. The Shield is also a good weapon for survival because the #5 will fullly regenerate you when you are really hurting.

Time this properly with Rite of the Great Dwarf and you are nearly invulnerable unless you get zerged down.

Just beware that conditions will be your enemy, and that most of the physical damage resistance that you gain is a combination of Toughness, Protection, resistance traits and skills, and permanent Weakness on the enemy from Inspiring Reinforcement and traits.

Knowing all of your combo fields and finishers and their effects is very helpful too.

As for gear, try taking Soldier's, Crusader's or something similar since you can get 51% crit rate from just Fury+Sigil on Rev.

Condi tank: Trailblazer and Dire, Tormenting Runes. Mallyx/X. I see more Heralds running Glint/Mallyx, but I prefer running core for Shiro/Mallyx. Retribution gives really juicy sustain thanks to Steadfast Rejuvenation and weakness application on CC. If running Herald you could prob put some healing power in your gear. A lot of your sustain comes from Tormenting Runes, which are stupidly OP for Mallyx.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:Condi tank: Trailblazer and Dire, Tormenting Runes. Mallyx/X. I see more Heralds running Glint/Mallyx, but I prefer running core for Shiro/Mallyx. Retribution gives really juicy sustain thanks to Steadfast Rejuvenation and weakness application on CC. If running Herald you could prob put some healing power in your gear. A lot of your sustain comes from Tormenting Runes, which are stupidly OP for Mallyx.

Sounds interesting. I’ll give those runes a try. I’ve been using Scrapper runes for the damage reduction bonus.

As far as HP in gear, what if you’re running Renegade?

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:Condi tank: Trailblazer and Dire, Tormenting Runes. Mallyx/X. I see more Heralds running Glint/Mallyx, but I prefer running core for Shiro/Mallyx. Retribution gives really juicy sustain thanks to Steadfast Rejuvenation and weakness application on CC. If running Herald you could prob put some healing power in your gear. A lot of your sustain comes from Tormenting Runes, which are stupidly OP for Mallyx.

Sounds interesting. I’ll give those runes a try. I’ve been using Scrapper runes for the damage reduction bonus.

Yeah that could work if you are running Kalla since the heal and elite scale well with it. Personally I find Shiro to be of more value because of the mobility and kiting potential it offers, but that's just me. I'm not particularly fond of Kalla. You can still run Renegade and forego another traitline like Retribution, but it is a hard sacrifice and you will be less tanky as a result, but you will definitely gain damage output. Depends on what you are looking for. Losing Invocation or Corruption hurts pretty badly as well: Invocation has incredible utility and Corruption offers more damage and superb condi management. Pulsating Pestilence is a god tier trait and will boost your survivability significantly against condi matchups, not to mention Demonic Defiance.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

Yeah that could work if you are running Kalla since the heal and elite scale well with it. Personally I find Shiro to be of more value because of the mobility and kiting potential it offers, but that's just me. I'm not particularly fond of Kalla. You can still run Renegade and forego another traitline like Retribution, but it is a hard sacrifice and you will be less tanky as a result, but you will definitely gain damage output. Depends on what you are looking for. Losing Invocation or Corruption hurts pretty badly as well: Invocation has incredible utility and Corruption offers more damage and superb condi management. Pulsating Pestilence is a god tier trait and will boost your survivability
significantly
against condi matchups, not to mention Demonic Defiance.

I actually don’t use Kalla, accept during tight quarter fights such as a keep take/defense but only on occasion. I mostly use mallyx and Shiro/jalis.

I also use corruption and retribution with renegade.

I did end up with the torment runes, which were like 30g for the set. I also ended up forgoing the HP in my gear. I just can’t get past the poor return of healing numbers from the stat investment to try it.

Didn’t get a good test run with it cause we were outnumber 2 to 1 and it was a slaughter fest.

@Hannelore.8153 said:As you said, the Revenant is not good with Healing Power, which means that they can't heal alot of health even if they take a boost to healpower.I hope that you mean 'self healing'. Otherwise, you are wrong as rev has the highest outgoing healing from all classes . If you take the ventari healing traits (3 3 3), food/utility modifiers + monk runes, Natural Harmony can easily heal 11k HP for 45 ppl witihin 240 radius. Also, with traited Elder's Respite you have crazy outgoing regen on top of the 10-ppl 2k+ passive heals from Legendary Centaur Stance.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:As you said, the Revenant is not good with Healing Power, which means that they can't heal alot of health even if they take a boost to healpower.I hope that you mean 'self healing'. Otherwise, you are wrong as rev has the highest outgoing healing from all classes . If you take the ventari healing traits (3 3 3), food/utility modifiers + monk runes, Natural Harmony can easily heal 11k HP for 45 ppl witihin 240 radius. Also, with traited Elder's Respite you have crazy outgoing regen on top of the 10-ppl 2k+ passive heals from Legendary Centaur Stance.

Yes; the thread is referring to tanking which implies self healing, not healing others.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

Yeah that could work if you are running Kalla since the heal and elite scale well with it. Personally I find Shiro to be of more value because of the mobility and kiting potential it offers, but that's just me. I'm not particularly fond of Kalla. You can still run Renegade and forego another traitline like Retribution, but it is a hard sacrifice and you will be less tanky as a result, but you will definitely gain damage output. Depends on what you are looking for. Losing Invocation or Corruption hurts pretty badly as well: Invocation has incredible utility and Corruption offers more damage and superb condi management. Pulsating Pestilence is a god tier trait and will boost your survivability
significantly
against condi matchups, not to mention Demonic Defiance.

I actually don’t use Kalla, accept during tight quarter fights such as a keep take/defense but only on occasion. I mostly use mallyx and Shiro/jalis.

I also use corruption and retribution with renegade.

I did end up with the torment runes, which were like 30g for the set. I also ended up forgoing the HP in my gear. I just can’t get past the poor return of healing numbers from the stat investment to try it.

Didn’t get a good test run with it cause we were outnumber 2 to 1 and it was a slaughter fest.

Hope it works out for you!

@Hannelore.8153 said:

Yes; the thread is referring to tanking which implies self healing, not healing others.

Yup for self healing it’s a bit tricky, guess its the trade off. :)

Plaguedoctors mixed Seraph have also good attributes.

I'm more on the side of boon oriented outsustaining people with the constant damage than the latter of just going all damage. Trailblazer is good but it's definitely not the only option there is.

The amount of Resistance you can have while healing from anything is pretty awesome, I did omit to Dwarf/Mallyx with Herald traits as well as shield and the results are pretty interesting too.