Buff DH traps

Xervite.5493

Traps need a tune up.Looking at most builds only 2 traps (some do use more yes ik) are mostly used: Procession of blades (spining swords) and dragon maw.In pvp only one trap is used by majority, test of faith because the utility/defensive traps are not worth taking over medi skills. But now lets look at traps one by and see what can be improved. (This is just my opinion)

1. The heal trap: its perfect

2. Procession of blades: ok damage in pve could use a tune up tbh. Why? Compare the damage to a somewhat similar skill Arc divider and you'll see what I mean. Sadly its useless in pvp and very rarely works. (And that's ok)

3. Test of faith: the initial damage and movement damage is just fine, problem is in pvp it can easily be dodged out of or enemy can simply wait it out. Imagine triggering a trap and waiting inside to let it pass. Give it some sort of pulsing DoT inside the radius to punish the waiting tactic. Like 500 damage over the course of its duration. (Nothing big)

4. Light's judgement: its just bad, rework it please. The reveal is not useful. As a trapper, player can simply throw down any trap and wait inside for a stealth enemy to walk in and alert the player.

5. Fragments of faith: There are far better options in medi line, even shouts are better tbh. Give the trap retal or some condi cleanse along with some healing maybe?

6. Dragon maw: more damage would be great in pve. Because other elites like prime light beam hit way harder and feel powerful too. I wouldn't mind a longer cooldown along with the dmg buff. In pvp its bad, takes literally 1 stability to move out of it, maw barrier should not act like cc and completely ignore stability/stunbreak.Lastly the trait for traps can better, the cd reduction is great but the slow duration is just bad. Change slow to cripple with better duration for DH damage synergy.

Thank you for reading this far. What do you guys think? Are the traps able to keep up with other professions and their changes?

• 2 months later...

@Fueki.4753 said:The only change I'd like for them is to get triggered by world bosses.We are called dragon Hunters, yet dragons are something we can't hunt with our utilities.To true any stationary boss fights the traps are meaningless along with underwater, they did a great rework on Thief but Ranger and DH still sitting here with nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bassdeff.1895 said:If they buff traps people will complain that guardian is even more OP than it already is. Thenthey will nerf guardian in typical Anet fashion.

Traps were a bad bet it’s a bad design.

Traps they will win due powercreep + surprise, or they are useless since won’t powercreep.

It’s initial design and balance was tonto carry with powercreep momentum.

@Xervite.5493 said:Traps need a tune up.Looking at most builds only 2 traps (some do use more yes ik) are mostly used: Procession of blades (spining swords) and dragon maw.In pvp only one trap is used by majority, test of faith because the utility/defensive traps are not worth taking over medi skills. But now lets look at traps one by and see what can be improved. (This is just my opinion)

1. The heal trap: its perfect

2. Procession of blades: ok damage in pve could use a tune up tbh. Why? Compare the damage to a somewhat similar skill Arc divider and you'll see what I mean. Sadly its useless in pvp and very rarely works. (And that's ok)

3. Test of faith: the initial damage and movement damage is just fine, problem is in pvp it can easily be dodged out of or enemy can simply wait it out. Imagine triggering a trap and waiting inside to let it pass. Give it some sort of pulsing DoT inside the radius to punish the waiting tactic. Like 500 damage over the course of its duration. (Nothing big)

4. Light's judgement: its just bad, rework it please. The reveal is not useful. As a trapper, player can simply throw down any trap and wait inside for a stealth enemy to walk in and alert the player.

5. Fragments of faith: There are far better options in medi line, even shouts are better tbh. Give the trap retal or some condi cleanse along with some healing maybe?

6. Dragon maw: more damage would be great in pve. Because other elites like prime light beam hit way harder and feel powerful too. I wouldn't mind a longer cooldown along with the dmg buff. In pvp its bad, takes literally 1 stability to move out of it, maw barrier should not act like cc and completely ignore stability/stunbreak.Lastly the trait for traps can better, the cd reduction is great but the slow duration is just bad. Change slow to cripple with better duration for DH damage synergy.

Thank you for reading this far. What do you guys think? Are the traps able to keep up with other professions and their changes?

Personally I feel ALL traps should reveal foes because you can tell where some is already when they get hit by a trap, you see it go off and you get the boon for it. IRL if you set off a trap you reveal yourself/location it makes sense.DH having anti-stealth traps would be great as it would help combat Mesmars and Thief's that heavily rely on shealth.

I would like Light's judgement to be replaced with a new different version that blinds and Dazes/stuns foes also gives the Dragonhunter retaliation,Think of Light judgement as a bright glaring light trap, it means more sense, a sudden flash of bright light in your eyes is going to stun/daze anyone.The boon is more useful Dragonhunter itself doesn't have access retaliation boon yet relies on retaliation heavily for damage.Lastly the daze/stun would DH out a lot with CC.

I agree, Dragon maw actually needs to be fix to TRAP foes.I think that rather swaping slow for cripple why not have both if traited. I would like retaliation added all traps boon if it is traited.

I would like a way to set off my own traps for boss and stuff,We need a way of setting them because many bosses like winewrath in the auric basin meta can't trigger the traps.Give Guardian an F4 virtue, Torch of Willpower, that gives boons, blinds and reveals foes. but at the same time sets off any placed traps.what do think?

@Fueki.4753 said:

@crazyhusky.2985 said:Personally I feel ALL traps should reveal foesPersonally, I think ANY damage received by stealthed characters should reveal enemies.It should baked into the Stealth mechanic, not into traps being a counter to that mechanic.

I feel that way too, it would be easy to be revealed, any slight tap would break reveal,in wvw stealth group attacking is a common strat for zergs, this would invaildate that completely as you constantly being hit but AoE's.But I just feel like that having it tied to traps would help dragonhunter have a niche in some way, putting down traps to stealthing.as it stands now DH isn't recommended for any mode, most people go base or FB.

Also I feel that most people that have played wvw have had an encounter with a theif/mesmar that hides and continues stealthing in keep/tower.Sniff doesn't work on stealthed foes so having another way to counter this would be this would be nice.As traps would not only slow them down but reveal them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"crazyhusky.2985" said:Personally I feel ALL traps should reveal foesPersonally, I think ANY damage received by stealthed characters should reveal enemies.It should baked into the Stealth mechanic, not into traps being a counter to that mechanic.

More than that, how is it that I get into a fight with a thief, engi, mes, ranger etc etc and know and count down their stealth timer in my head of when they are going to attack and dodge a backstab with "miss" popping up, or pop a block only to see rapid fire hitting me "block, block, block" but they don't get revealed? Why are they not punished for this? Being able to counter an attack you cant even see coming and the stealth user is rewarded with getting to try again? Why?

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@"crazyhusky.2985" said:Personally I feel ALL traps should reveal foesPersonally, I think ANY damage received by stealthed characters should reveal enemies.It should baked into the Stealth mechanic, not into traps being a counter to that mechanic.

More than that, how is it that I get into a fight with a thief, engi, mes, ranger etc etc and know and count down their stealth timer in my head of when they are going to attack and dodge a backstab with "miss" popping up, or pop a block only to see rapid fire hitting me "block, block, block" but they don't get revealed? Why are they not punished for this? Being able to counter an attack you cant even see coming and the stealth user is rewarded with getting to try again? Why?

For something to change in the direction you are inferring means the removal of Guardian's passive aegis.

@Turk.5460 said:

For something to change in the direction you are inferring means the removal of Guardian's passive aegis.

Why should Aegis be removed when need to rework stealth?When the player activates a skill, stealth is gone.When the player receives damage from any source, stealth is gone.I don't see how Aegis would be affected by these two changes.

Stealth in its current anti-pvp state is the ultimate coward runaway tool that's overpowered and the access is too abundant.It's in dire need of a rework, but Arenanet apparently doesn't care.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Why should Aegis be removed when need to rework stealth?When the player activates a skill, stealth is gone.When the player receives damage from any source, stealth is gone.I don't see how Aegis would be affected by these two changes.

Stealth in its current anti-pvp state is the ultimate coward runaway tool that's overpowered and the access is too abundant.It's in dire need of a rework, but Arenanet apparently doesn't care.

My reply was to to how stealth attacks would interact with blocks. Why should Guardian get a passive permanent protection from all stealth attacks if Tink's idea was taken? They shouldn't.

But sure, lets entertain your reply: What buffs do you propose to compensate traitlines whose defenses are reliant on stealth?

@Turk.5460 said:

My reply was to to how stealth attacks would interact with blocks. Why should Guardian get a passive permanent protection from all stealth attacks if Tink's idea was taken? They shouldn't.

But sure, lets entertain your reply: What buffs do you propose to compensate traitlines whose defenses are reliant on stealth?

There is no class that relies on Stealth as a defensive tool.Stealth is used to cowardly run away in PvP, which is not an defensive action.Thieves have enough evasive tools to form their active defense, Mesmers have enough tools and their clones to annoy opponents and divert their attacks.Scrapper is tanky enough not to need any more defences.Adjusting something to make it proper instead of unfair and over-performing doesn't require compensations.

As for the Aegis part: It block one attack, one. That's far from permanent.

@Turk.5460 said:

Why?

@Turk.5460 said:

So, you want that changed because it means you can't start a fight from stealth, it means you have to actually hit someone and be revealed before doing a burst, this is something high burst builds have always complained about. It is also not permanent, it is tied to F3's CD and is only applied every 40 seconds if F3 isn't on CD.

The Traps are fine as is. The only one that I could see that could probably need adjusting is Dragon's Maw. As it currently doing zero damage is pretty silly.

I get they don't want people bursting people down like crazy, but I would recommend restoring either part of it's damage, or at the minimum make it so it adds several stacks of vulnerability. the whole purpose of dragon's maw is to put you in a vulnerable state where you're bound to one location. stability flat out allows you to ignore that, so I feel either adding damage back to it or vulnerability would be reasonable.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Stealth is fine, you just need to learn to play around it. This is coming from a guardian main.