Ascended dungeon gear?

ixora.3569

By any chance will there be ascended armor/weapons added to dungeons? It would bring life back to them and you can make them expensive so its not so easy to obtain. maybe 1k a piece? more for weapons? just throwing ideas out there. I just want a reason to do dungeons again. Also maybe add some new dungeons for the living stories in the future?

@Bron.9647 said:I think Astralporing is unfortunately correct. However, I really want more dungeons too and have also asked for a new dungeon or two. I do not understand why they dislike dungeons so much that they want to direct us away from them, but there you have it.

Because dungeon code is spagetti and all the devs that were working with that code are gone already.

@Bron.9647 said:I think Astralporing is unfortunately correct. However, I really want more dungeons too and have also asked for a new dungeon or two. I do not understand why they dislike dungeons so much that they want to direct us away from them, but there you have it.

Because they want us to play Strike Missions as our instanced content now, which are super quick one boss encounters. Most dungeons for inexperienced players can take a very long time, because they don't know all the skips yet, or can't reliably perform them.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

Because they want us to play Strike Missions as our instanced content now, which are super quick one boss encounters. Most dungeons for inexperienced players can take a very long time, because they don't know all the skips yet, or can't reliably perform them.

But dungeons at their current difficulty have more potential to attract a wider audience of players than the properly working Boneskinner or the Winter's Day snowman. I wish Arenanet would stick with content models and iterate on them instead of abandoning them.I can already see Arenanet abandoning Strikes after LS5 because not enough players are doing them.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:Because they want us to play Strike Missions as our instanced content now, which are super quick one boss encounters. Most dungeons for inexperienced players can take a very long time, because they don't know all the skips yet, or can't reliably perform them.

But dungeons at their current difficulty have more potential to attract a wider audience of players than the properly working Boneskinner or the Winter's Day snowman. I wish Arenanet would stick with content models and iterate on them instead of abandoning them.

That depends heavily on the dungeon and the path chosen, as not all of them have the exact same difficulty, just like Strike Mission difficulty varies. Lieutenant Kholer or the Spider Queen in Ascalonian Catacombs have a much higher challenge level than the Icebrood Construct as they can actually kill unprepared players (those that might be having trouble in Strike Missions). The first room in Twilight Arbor can be quite intimidating if you don't have proper way of dealing with the blossoms. Subject Alpha and every path in Arah have a higher challenge level than most strikes too. Giganticus Lupicus makes Freezie look like a joke.

I can already see Arenanet abandoning Strikes after LS5 because not enough players are doing them.

That's up to the players that were asking for easier instanced content to decide. Anet gave it to us, now it's up to them to make it popular enough to justify its existence.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:I can already see Arenanet abandoning Strikes after LS5 because not enough players are doing them.

That's up to the players that were asking for easier instanced content to decide. Anet gave it to us, now it's up to them to make it popular enough to justify its existence.

Going to highlight this because many in favor of easier raids often touted that it's not about the rewards etc.

Suffice to say: if easier instanced content (currently in the form of strikes) sees less play than raids, there is basically 3 approaches:

1.) Rework the instanced content once again2.) Focus on challenging instanced content once again3.) Completely drop instanced content

The developers are the only ones with the metrics here. We are all going to have to wait and see.

Ideally strikes work as intended and reinvigorate and encourage more players to try instanced content as to allow more resource dedication.

@"sokeenoppa.5384" said:Because dungeon code is spagetti and all the devs that were working with that code are gone already.

This. Making dungeons more popular will cause a greater number of people to bump into their bugs and this would increase pressure on ANet to fix them. Sadly, that code is beyond salvation. There are still bugs that can trigger and block all instance progress, it would be bad if players were trying to farm dungeons and had to deal with said blockers.

The most activity dungeons will get is when it's their time for a daily rotation. I would prefer if they removed things like "daily activity" so that daily dungeon runs appear more frequently, but I suspect some people actually like activities and are equally happy when the daily tab brings people in. :/

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:I can already see Arenanet abandoning Strikes after LS5 because not enough players are doing them.

Going to highlight this because many in favor of easier raids often touted that it's not about the rewards etc.So said some raiders. Both claims were, of course, not true - rewards are
always
an issue, whether for strikes, raids, or open world. Lack of proper rewards will make any content dead.

Ideally strikes work as intended and reinvigorate and encourage more players to try instanced content as to allow more resource dedication.Oh, i don't think that was ever the main intention behind them at all. More like they are simply much
cheaper
to make than raids.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Going to highlight this because many in favor of easier raids often touted that it's not about the rewards etc.So said some raiders. Both claims were, of course, not true - rewards are
always
an issue, whether for strikes, raids, or open world. Lack of proper rewards will make any content dead.

True. Not sure where to place strikes at the moment. The rewards they provide when cleared fast by experienced players is okay (compared to usual in game rewards). I would assume the rewards for inexperienced groups are worse time commitment wise.

Either way, this is what a reward system based on performance would look like.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Ideally strikes work as intended and reinvigorate and encourage more players to try instanced content as to allow more resource dedication.Oh, i don't think that was ever the main intention behind them at all. More like they are simply much
cheaper
to make than raids.

Sure that could be. I was going by what the stated purpose is/was. If resources are so scarce that it would only suffice for strikes then we are likely facing an option 3, complete abandonment of instanced content, in case they fail as a project.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

@"Bron.9647" said:I think Astralporing is unfortunately correct. However, I really want more dungeons too and have also asked for a new dungeon or two. I do not understand why they dislike dungeons so much that they want to direct us away from them, but there you have it.

Because dungeon code is spagetti and all the devs that were working with that code are gone already.

Always the same excuse for every suggestion to Anet: the code is "spaggetti", its been over 6 years....

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Bron.9647" said:I think Astralporing is unfortunately correct. However, I really want more dungeons too and have also asked for a new dungeon or two. I do not understand why they dislike dungeons so much that they want to direct us away from them, but there you have it.

Always the same excuse for every suggestion to Anet: the code is "spaggetti", its been over 6 years....

Not an excuse, anet said by them self that ppl who were working old dungeons are not here anymore and that old dungeons are too hard to repair coz of that "spaggetti" code. Not gonna even try to find source for this either belive it or dont.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Subject Alpha and every path in Arah have a higher challenge level than most strikes too. Giganticus Lupicus makes Freezie look like a joke.

I consider Subject Alpha and Post-Nerf Lupi (even without abusing reflects) to be significantly easier than Freezie.Due to the general powercreep, it's questionable if Pre-Nerf Lupi would stand a chance against current top end content.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

Several des have stated a couple of times that they rather ship new content than revamping old things like dungeon because they can develop new content so much faster in contrast to fixing existent stuff from years ago. So, it's just reasonable that they went this way with their considerations.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@"sokeenoppa.5384" said:Always the same excuse for every suggestion to Anet: the code is "spaggetti", its been over 6 years....

Several des have stated a couple of times that they rather ship new content than revamping old things like dungeon because they can develop new content so much faster in contrast to fixing existent stuff from years ago. So, it's just reasonable that they went this way with their considerations.

if ANet truly meant to fix dungeons, it would be by redoing them from scratch. Would you be fine postponing the next three or four living story updates in order to get reworked dungeons to current standards (in order to revitalize them)? I am pretty sure ANet has had internal discussions regarding this, and making new content is always more profitable than reworking past stuff beyond bug fixing (which leaves super old code out of the question).

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

Not an excuse, anet said by them self that ppl who were working old dungeons are not here anymore and that old dungeons are too hard to repair coz of that "spaggetti" code. Not gonna even try to find source for this either belive it or dont.

im a software developer in small company, sry but ppl leaving inst a credible excuse. and we are really small company. original developers leaving behind a "spaguetti code" is a very common stuff on software houses.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@"sokeenoppa.5384" said:Always the same excuse for every suggestion to Anet: the code is "spaggetti", its been over 6 years....

if ANet truly meant to fix dungeons, it would be by redoing them from scratch. Would you be fine postponing the next three or four living story updates in order to get reworked dungeons to current standards (in order to revitalize them)? I am pretty sure ANet has had internal discussions regarding this, and making new content is always more profitable than reworking past stuff beyond bug fixing (which leaves super old code out of the question).

Of course but that's not their intention at all. Instanced content is niche content in this game be it dungeons, fractals or raids. Even strikes are not a very popular thing although you'll find a group for doing them, still the lfg is not quite packed with groups looking to do them. That's why they only put a small group/team to such content and therefore we won't see more in quality and quantity. I myself would appreciate it if they revamp dungeons and afterwards introduce newer ones over a continuous cycle of livng story episodes but unfortunately that's not what the majority in this game wants. The outcry would be tremendous and Anet cannot risk to lose the herd of gem shop customers which has the biggest overlapping with casual suff enthusiasts.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Subject Alpha and every path in Arah have a higher challenge level than most strikes too. Giganticus Lupicus makes Freezie look like a joke.

I consider Subject Alpha and Post-Nerf Lupi (even without abusing reflects) to be significantly easier than Freezie.Due to the general powercreep, it's questionable if Pre-Nerf Lupi would stand a chance against current top end content.

I hope you are joking because Freezie can be killed by 4-5 completely random people in green/rare gear. Lupi usually can't.I hope you are not calling Freezie (a joke boss) "top end content"

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:Subject Alpha and every path in Arah have a higher challenge level than most strikes too. Giganticus Lupicus makes Freezie look like a joke.

I hope you are joking because Freezie can be killed by 4-5 completely random people in green/rare gear.I have seen full groups wipe on freezie. All is required for a random group to do so is to have no healer. The same 4-5 people in rare/green gear that would be capable of killing freezie would also wipe the floor with lupi.Ironically, Lupi is quite easy, as long as you do not try any meta strategies and just run in circles and keep to range attacks. It's only when people try to stack and melee him that suddenly some quite good coordination and skills are required.

Edit: case in point:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94407/secret-lair-of-the-snowmen

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Freezie can be killed by 4-5 completely random people in green/rare gear. Lupi usually can't.I hope you are not calling Freezie (a joke boss) "top end content"Yet the 9 randoms I was with yesterday could not.Maybe your usual 4-5 randoms are above average players.Mine definitely were not.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Freezie can be killed by 4-5 completely random people in green/rare gear. Lupi usually can't.I hope you are not calling Freezie (a joke boss) "top end content"Yet the 9 randoms I was with yesterday could not.Maybe
your
usual 4-5 randoms are above average players.
Mine
definitely were not.

And I bet those same 9 randoms + you, split in two parties wouldn't be able to beat all dungeon paths of the game, in fact they'd probably fail at more than half of them. Just because you were in a bad team that couldn't beat Freezie, doesn't mean that there haven't been -many- failures in running dungeon paths in the past. You know when players actually run dungeons.

How many of those 9 randoms had dungeon master title? How many actually run -any- instanced content of the game before?Those are the big questions when you are comparing dungeons with strikes, not saying "hey I can beat all dungeons with my guild team just fine, but this group of randoms failed at Freezie, therefore Freezie is harder than dungeons."