Core engineer; My experience and thoughts so far

Zexanima.7851

I decided to create a new engineer last night in my crusade to play core professions. Engineer was my first profession that I made back before HoT and at the time I loved it so I decided to try it again from the start rather than use my existing level 80. I'm really don't like holosmith as it doesn't really feel like what the engineer profession was suppose to be. Scrapper is okay but I prefer rifle/pistol over hammer. That leaves core engineer. I could use tomes of knowledge but I've decided to level the old fashion way with map completion and enjoy experience.

I got to level 20 and completed most of Plains of Ashford and had a blast (pun intended). It was pretty easy but a bit challenging at some hero points and it actually forced me to think a bit and not just spam buttons. But....a lot of what core engineer has is just useless. Not suboptimal, but really completely useless. I figured a good place to start would be kits and have been obtaining them first. Even after I had I found myself in rifle a majority of the time. Flamethrower has been what I've had the most success on but the others are not really worth the utility slot. It might be because they need to be traited but I'm not optimistic about that. Grenades do next to no damage and are way too slow so I don't use them. Elixir gun I can see use for in PvP as support maybe but I'm not really sure to its purpose in PvE. I haven't used bomb kit yet so can't say anything about it. Toolkit isn't too bad but core engineer really isn't equip to fight in melee range, a 2 second block isn't enough to remedy that.

I also tired sPvP for a couple hours as I'm primarily a pvp player. I tired piecing together my own build based of certain traits/skills instead of digging up old builds and spent a couple hours at it. Most all of them failed terribly mostly due to lack of things like stability, passive invulns/stun breaks, cleanse, stuns, ect. I can get to an adequate amount of one of these things but then I would always be severely lacking in another. This is what made me realize how far behind core engi has fallen. It feels like all other professions can do what I might take 3 button presses and 1 1/2 second cast time in one button press on dodge in a 1/4 second. Core engi's skills are simple but many and that puts you at a disadvantage against other professions with so many effects pack into single skills with low cast times. I considered going out to grab dinner while I waited for some of my skills to land (rocket turret toolbelt skill anyone?). I finally decided to go with a static discharge turret build, zerker with scholar, and got okay results. 4 wins out of 6 games. If I didn't go full on damage rune/amulet my damage was laughable. I tried several times to make a condi build to no success. I realize though a lot of my builds failures were probably due to my lack of experience with the profession but the difficulty I had trying to work out a build speaks to how underpowered in relation to other professions it is. This is the build I've had moderate success on.

I'll update this post as I go but what I've gathered so far is about what I expected;

• The fun is there, the power isn't
  • Kits are too clunky to use effectively in pvp. Only some are worth while in PvE. This is even open world where near everything should be viable but some of them are not even viable in this area of the game.
  • Turrets I took for the toolbelt skills for sttatic discharge. PvE and PvP the turrets themselves are non existent. Zero survivability, laughable damage. Necro, ranger, mesmer, renegade all have better "pet" skills in every way compared to turrets. I'm pretty sure dredge turrets are currently stronger than engi turrets.
  • Cast times on a lot of skills are too long. In comparison to something like a soulbeast, warrrior, rev, ect. which can combo many skills in quick succession I'm over here like "Wait a sec! I'm waiting for my cleanse to actually hit the ground..."

In PvE I'll probably start trying out elixirs and gadgets but in PvP I've tried many many different things and think I'll stick with my current build for now. Feel free to give me all the tips and advice you have! I need it. More updates soon for anyone who cares..

EDIT:Some after thought suggestions

• Give a slight increase to turret's damage/fire frequency but make them a LOT tankier when traited. If they are suppose to pulse boons when traited they needs to stay alive long enough to make them worth it. Probably need better boons too

@"Dawdler.8521" said:

I realize though a lot of my builds failures were probably due to my lack of experience with the professionWell when you start with
"I decided to create a new engineer last night"

Either way it's been dull in PvE since forever.

I'm aware and that's why I put that line in there. Still, I didn't really have much trouble throwing together builds on other core professions I was learning. Not optimal, but usable. On core engi I struggled to find something even useable. I don't find it dull in PvE, just falling behind other core professions in power.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:I decided to create a new engineer last night in my crusade to play core professions. Engineer was my first profession that I made back before HoT and at the time I loved it so I decided to try it again from the start rather than use my existing level 80. I'm really don't like holosmith as it doesn't really feel like what the engineer profession was suppose to be. Scrapper is okay but I prefer rifle/pistol over hammer. That leaves core engineer. I could use tomes of knowledge but I've decided to level the old fashion way with map completion and enjoy experience.

I got to level 20 and completed most of Plains of Ashford and had a blast (pun intended). It was pretty easy but a bit challenging at some hero points and it actually forced me to think a bit and not just spam buttons. But....a lot of what core engineer has is just useless. Not suboptimal, but really completely useless. I figured a good place to start would be kits and have been obtaining them first. Even after I had I found myself in rifle a majority of the time. Flamethrower has been what I've had the most success on but the others are not really worth the utility slot. It might be because they need to be traited but I'm not optimistic about that. Grenades do next to no damage and are way too slow so I don't use them. Elixir gun I can see use for in PvP as support maybe but I'm not really sure to its purpose in PvE. I haven't used bomb kit yet so can't say anything about it. Toolkit isn't too bad but core engineer really isn't equip to fight in melee range, a 2 second block isn't enough to remedy that.

I also tired sPvP for a couple hours as I'm primarily a pvp player. I tired piecing together my own build based of certain traits/skills instead of digging up old builds and spent a couple hours at it. Most all of them failed terribly mostly due to lack of things like stability, passive invulns/stun breaks, cleanse, stuns, ect. I can get to an adequate amount of one of these things but then I would always be severely lacking in another. This is what made me realize how far behind core engi has fallen. It feels like all other professions can do what I might take 3 button presses and 1 1/2 second cast time in one button press on dodge in a 1/4 second. Core engi's skills are simple but many and that puts you at a disadvantage against other professions with so many effects pack into single skills with low cast times. I considered going out to grab dinner while I waited for some of my skills to land (rocket turret toolbelt skill anyone?). I finally decided to go with a static discharge turret build, zerker with scholar, and got okay results. 4 wins out of 6 games. If I didn't go full on damage rune/amulet my damage was laughable. I tried several times to make a condi build to no success. I realize though a lot of my builds failures were probably due to my lack of experience with the profession but the difficulty I had trying to work out a build speaks to how underpowered in relation to other professions it is. This is the build I've had moderate success on.

I'll update this post as I go but what I've gathered so far is about what I expected;

• Kits are too clunky to use effectively in pvp. Only some are worth while in PvE. This is even open world where near everything should be viable but some of them are not even viable in this area of the game.
  • Turrets I took for the toolbelt skills for sttatic discharge. PvE and PvP the turrets themselves are non existent. Zero survivability, laughable damage. Necro, ranger, mesmer, renegade all have better "pet" skills in every way compared to turrets. I'm pretty sure dredge turrets are currently stronger than engi turrets.
  • Cast times on a lot of skills are too long. In comparison to something like a soulbeast, warrrior, rev, ect. which can combo many skills in quick succession I'm over here like "Wait a sec! I'm waiting for my cleanse to actually hit the ground..."

In PvE I'll probably start trying out elixirs and gadgets but in PvP I've tried many many different things and think I'll stick with my current build for now. Feel free to give me all the tips and advice you have! I need it. More updates soon for anyone who cares..

• Give a slight increase to turret's damage/fire frequency but make them a LOT tankier when traited. If they are suppose to pulse boons when traited they needs to stay alive long enough to make them worth it. Probably need better boons too

In my humblest opinion, in a scenario where everything is nerfed accordingly (dat powercreep tho), core Engineer would be in a very suitable spot. it has great tradeoffs, which you've mentioned in your post (referencing where if you go for something, it does well, but lacks in other things). It's just that the other core professions have had buffs to their core trait lines that match this current bursty meta, and that's why they feel much better right now.There is an upcoming balance patch, and it's supposed to be really huge. Everything is getting the touch of either death or life, so I wouldn't yea or nay it yet. Once things are brought in line and the power creep is snuffed out, I'd recommend revisiting and see if your opinion changes.

@Ghos.1326 said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:I decided to create a new engineer last night in my crusade to play core professions. Engineer was my first profession that I made back before HoT and at the time I loved it so I decided to try it again from the start rather than use my existing level 80. I'm really don't like holosmith as it doesn't really feel like what the engineer profession was suppose to be. Scrapper is okay but I prefer rifle/pistol over hammer. That leaves core engineer. I could use tomes of knowledge but I've decided to level the old fashion way with map completion and enjoy experience.

I got to level 20 and completed most of Plains of Ashford and had a blast (pun intended). It was pretty easy but a bit challenging at some hero points and it actually forced me to think a bit and not just spam buttons. But....a lot of what core engineer has is just useless. Not suboptimal, but really completely useless. I figured a good place to start would be kits and have been obtaining them first. Even after I had I found myself in rifle a majority of the time. Flamethrower has been what I've had the most success on but the others are not really worth the utility slot. It might be because they need to be traited but I'm not optimistic about that. Grenades do next to no damage and are way too slow so I don't use them. Elixir gun I can see use for in PvP as support
maybe
but I'm not really sure to its purpose in PvE. I haven't used bomb kit yet so can't say anything about it. Toolkit isn't too bad but core engineer really isn't equip to fight in melee range, a 2 second block isn't enough to remedy that.

I also tired sPvP for a couple hours as I'm primarily a pvp player. I tired piecing together my own build based of certain traits/skills instead of digging up old builds and spent a couple hours at it. Most all of them failed terribly mostly due to lack of things like stability, passive invulns/stun breaks, cleanse, stuns, ect. I can get to an adequate amount of one of these things but then I would always be severely lacking in another. This is what made me realize how far behind core engi has fallen. It feels like all other professions can do what I might take 3 button presses and 1 1/2 second cast time in one button press on dodge in a 1/4 second. Core engi's skills are simple but many and that puts you at a disadvantage against other professions with so many effects pack into single skills with low cast times. I considered going out to grab dinner while I waited for some of my skills to land (rocket turret toolbelt skill anyone?). I finally decided to go with a static discharge turret build, zerker with scholar, and got okay results. 4 wins out of 6 games. If I didn't go full on damage rune/amulet my damage was laughable. I tried several times to make a condi build to no success. I realize though a lot of my builds failures were probably due to my lack of experience with the profession but the difficulty I had trying to work out a build speaks to how underpowered in relation to other professions it is.

• Kits are too clunky to use effectively in pvp. Only some are worth while in PvE. This is even open world where near everything
    should
    be viable but some of them are not even viable in this area of the game.

In my humblest opinion, in a scenario where everything is nerfed accordingly (dat powercreep tho), core Engineer would be in a very suitable spot. it has great tradeoffs, which you've mentioned in your post (referencing where if you go for something, it does well, but lacks in other things). It's just that the other core professions have had buffs to their core trait lines that match this current bursty meta, and that's why they feel much better right now.There is an upcoming balance patch, and it's supposed to be really huge. Everything is getting the touch of either death or life, so I wouldn't yea or nay it yet. Once things are brought in line and the power creep is snuffed out, I'd recommend revisiting and see if your opinion changes.

I agree! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing it. It's just not in line with other core specs (most core specs are not in line with elites, but that's another topic...). I'm looking forward to these changes and hope everything in the game is brought down significantly and some core profession (specially engi) are given some love.

Nothing we haven't talked about before. Core engi is a relic of the past, which is painful to look at because it's at a level everything else should be, including the other engi specs. Simply have to look at its condition damage. Excellent damage, horrible reapplication, inconsistent, part of a time when pressuring with mere bleeds was a thing, a very long time ago. Simplier to deal with in terms of balance than whatever we have today.

Nothing surprising here. A lot of the things core engineer was sold on (IE turrets) were guttered, and kits have been left in the dust with e-specs. They're mainly only used for their most powerful skills -- have been for a while. They nerfed grenades and bomb kit a long time ago, which used to be staples of PvP and PvE, respectively. E-gun is primarily used for its stunbreak and heals/condi clears in PvP. Tool kit hasn't been relevant since pre-HoT. Flamethrower was only relevant in condi builds and certain hybrid builds. Gadgets were always more of a sideshow than a primary draw. They seemed like one-off ideas from the devs, still feel like that.

You can really see a lot of the design of vanilla GW2 in engineer's kits. Almost every skill has one, maybe two functions. Very few have more than that. They all have lengthy casting times and obvious windups. This is why they're so irrelevant in most of PvP these days, the e-specs are spam-happy.

Elixirs are one of the few groups of skills that ANet has consistently updated in engineer's core skills (except for Elixir R). They've been essential in most engineer PvP builds.

It's probably because of powercreep and the fact that core engi has always relied on kits for maximum effectiveness (similar to ele attunements). That's why there are fewer well played engineers compared to warriors, guardians, and necros for example.

Most of the core engineer stuff is irelevant in small scale PvP due to projectile velocity (grenades), range (flamethrower with its rampup , toolkit, bomb kit) , or detonation time (grenades , bomb kit). Pistols are slow ramp condi ; rifle is generally slow firing and hasn't kept up with powercreep. Turrets were nerfed years ago , I remember one of my guild's leaders reached top of sPvP leaderboard when he was out of work playing turrets as a bunker.

Arenanet has to contend with the fact that they can't always improve things that scrappers and holos can make use of as well (except the elite skills' f5).

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:

I realize though a lot of my builds failures were probably due to my lack of experience with the professionWell when you start with

I'm aware and that's why I put that line in there. Still, I didn't really have much trouble throwing together builds on other core professions I was learning. Not optimal, but usable. On core engi I struggled to find something even useable. I don't find it dull in PvE, just falling behind other core professions in power.Was just saying, heh.

I believe I have about 1800 hours on my engineer now, core and scrapper with a vast majority of those hours in WvW. I still make tons of errors in every fight regardless of winning or loosing. That's why I love playing it (despite scrapper nerfs, bleh). Because I can directly point out if I had done this or that it would have gone better. A failed moa, blowing my blowtorch too soon, blocking with the sheild at the wrong time, dodging too much, not using my god damn F skills that I frequently forget about, not aggressive with elixir X enough on engagement, etc and so on. Maybe if I'll can get my ass in gear and clip together my recordings I might upload a new compilation of core engie roaming, its starting to hog my drive sigh.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I'm aware and that's why I put that line in there. Still, I didn't really have much trouble throwing together builds on other core professions I was learning. Not optimal, but usable. On core engi I struggled to find something even useable. I don't find it dull in PvE, just falling behind other core professions in power.Was just saying, heh.

I believe I have about 1800 hours on my engineer now, core and scrapper with a vast majority of those hours in WvW. I
still
make tons of errors in every fight regardless of winning or loosing. That's why I love playing it (despite scrapper nerfs, bleh). Because I can directly point out
if I had done this or that
it would have gone better. A failed moa, blowing my blowtorch too soon, blocking with the sheild at the wrong time, dodging too much, not using my god kitten F skills that I frequently forget about, not aggressive with elixir X enough on engagement, etc and so on. Maybe if I'll can get my kitten in gear and clip together my recordings I might upload a new compilation of core engie roaming, its starting to hog my drive sigh.

Do it! I would love to watch it, specially from someone with that much experience. I've found a couple of vids on youtube but its a struggle to find core engi players to learn from

yeah its pretty sad. maybe 5 utility skills are useful in pvp, and arms + explosives are useless. whats even more sad or rather flat our depressing is that the majority of utility skills and some trait lines across all professions are useless. this has been my # 1 gripe with this game since day 1. its been getting better, slowly. so fucking slowly. we need more diversity like a desert needs water.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

I believe I have about 1800 hours on my engineer now, core and scrapper with a vast majority of those hours in WvW. I
still
make tons of errors in every fight regardless of winning or loosing. That's why I love playing it (despite scrapper nerfs, bleh). Because I can directly point out
if I had done this or that
it would have gone better. A failed moa, blowing my blowtorch too soon, blocking with the sheild at the wrong time, dodging too much, not using my god kitten F skills that I frequently forget about, not aggressive with elixir X enough on engagement, etc and so on. Maybe if I'll can get my kitten in gear and clip together my recordings I might upload a new compilation of core engie roaming, its starting to hog my drive sigh.

Do it! I would love to watch it, specially from someone with that much experience. I've found a couple of vids on youtube but its a struggle to find core engi players to learn fromWell I am never doing that again, I'll stick to small clips, lol. Large videos are a pain to edit and take ages to upload. Not really happy with the result either, I barely have the patience to watch myself playing and yell "toss your god damn elixir c already" at the screen. Could have cut more out too, but I really just wanted to remove all the old junk. Anyway, here is some no frills, no lol-I-hit-for-15k-I'm-awesome roflstomps, just core spec WvW roaming (well, with trailblazers so mostly core).

Rant incoming:I usually play core engi on core PvP, and I ofter encounter the same problem: core traits and skills are soo anti-synergestic. Like if you want to be power, you have to use a 'nade kit. If you use a 'nade kit, explosive is a must have... and boy oh boy, this traitline is a mess.

Evasive Powder Keg makes sure that you can't dodge after tossing elixir S.Granadier is a must have if you run granades. And almost the only reason to run this line. With the recent changes, healing messes with your stealth. (I want to mention here, that you can't use rifle 5, as well as Rocket Boots while stealthed for the same reason. So your only chance after using Toss Elixir S, if an enemy is nearby, to run, and hope that they doesn't cleave you down.)Shaped Charge got nerfed not long ago, on an already underachieving traitline.Shrapnel is an another nice trait, which gives you oppurtinity to kite.

Inventions is an another problematic line. It is just a second fiddler to Alchemy, if you want to go for one defensive line. I only see this an option, if you go heal (which is only viable in WvW), or want to go full bunker with Alcemy - Inventions.Experimental Turrets, together with the turrets in general is really bad.Bunker Down is pretty ... meh? The idea is interesting, and I like it. But every time I pick it, I don't even notice if it does anything, other than hearing the beeps, and seeing those medpacks lying around.Anticorrosion Plating is awful on core engi, and exceptional on holo. HLA makes sure of that, with its 12 procs of protection. The second best skill that comes close to this is Reconstruction Field. (and this is one of the main reasons I call core engi traits anti-synergestic)

Alchemy on the other hand has a nice synergy with itself. Even if you don't run any elixirs, you can go for HGH, since the traitline has 3 elixirs built in. In my opinion, this line just leaves others in the dust.Hidden Flask is just too good to be an adept minor trait.Invigorating Speed is an another anti-synergestic trait. Core engi barely has any source of swiftness. (I often have to run movement speed runes, since I don't have place on my utility bar for Elixir B, Elixirgun 2 is unreliable, and combat only, Inventions is garbage. This leaves me only with: Tools - Streamlined Kits, or movement speed runes.) Unlike holo, which has Holo Leap, and Particle Accelerator, giving the user free perma vigor.Backpack Regenerator doesn't work with MDF, for some reason...Purity of Purpose is meta defning in WvW. This should be looked at, when condi application and cleanse is nerfed.

Firearms is what it is. A nice passive damage boost. And Tools is there. I rarely run it, so I don't have a strong opinion on it.

And for the skills, I only want to point out the most annoying inconsistency for me: granade attacks, even Granade Barrage can be blocked by one Aegis, or Blindness, but damages you three times from reta.

Disclaimer: I run this build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAQlZw+YXMNmKOSLuJNA-z5QfG9KByXB44B (Stolen from Chaithe. Please don't sue me.)

• 2 weeks later...

Having posted a video of me playing Core Engie recently, I felt the need to comment on this post.

I find that they definitely need to change the explosives line to be more synergistic in a way that makes more builds viable. We as a group have suggested things like crazy for that line but I am sure at some point something will be done. Maybe before the world ends. Till then there are more important things in life than worrying about whether they fix this or not.

Apart from that, the build I run currently was made with the intent to find something that could take direct hits and not just melt whilst also dishing out enough damage to make the target scared and it is the best build I have played in PvP apart from the meta because if played well it can 2v1 and can even win most 1v1s against the new specializations except Tempest and Mirage. That said you can stall against them for a while and possibly if you get better at the build you could even win some fights.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAo6lJw6YesFWJWqPXrbA-zZwOjMlAJsAc2A

That's one variant of the build using inventions. Another variant uses Alchemy to gain more might stacks and certain traits for survivability.So in essence, it is not all trash or useless, just some of it is.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/454185229

@"Dirame.8521" said:Having posted a video of me playing Core Engie recently, I felt the need to comment on this post.

I find that they definitely need to change the explosives line to be more synergistic in a way that makes more builds viable. We as a group have suggested things like crazy for that line but I am sure at some point something will be done. Maybe before the world ends. Till then there are more important things in life than worrying about whether they fix this or not.

Apart from that, the build I run currently was made with the intent to find something that could take direct hits and not just melt whilst also dishing out enough damage to make the target scared and it is the best build I have played in PvP apart from the meta because if played well it can 2v1 and can even win most 1v1s against the new specializations except Tempest and Mirage. That said you can stall against them for a while and possibly if you get better at the build you could even win some fights.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAo6lJw6YesFWJWqPXrbA-zZwOjMlAJsAc2A

That's one variant of the build using inventions. Another variant uses Alchemy to gain more might stacks and certain traits for survivability.So in essence, it is not all trash or useless, just some of it is.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/454185229Well that wasnt a particularly good warrior... how can you tell? He's not regenerating more HP than you do damage because he popped his healing signet, lol.

Still, there are some particular things that sometimes just makes it worth the hazzle regardless of winning or loosing.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Dirame.8521" said:Having posted a video of me playing Core Engie recently, I felt the need to comment on this post.

Well that wasnt a particularly good warrior... how can you tell? He's not regenerating more HP than you do damage because he popped his healing signet, lol.

Still, there are some particular things that sometimes just makes it worth the hazzle regardless of winning or loosing.

He probably didn't have any cooldowns because he just came from mid so he popped the one thing he could use to handle condi damage.

I don't see that as him being bad seeing as he almost got me down. I also applied poison to him repeatedly so his healing will not have surpassed my damage unless he had more cleanses.

@"Dirame.8521" said:He probably didn't have any cooldowns because he just came from mid so he popped the one thing he could use to handle condi damage.

I don't see that as him being bad seeing as he almost got me down. I also applied poison to him repeatedly so his healing will not have surpassed my damage unless he had more cleanses.Well you never know what you meet in PvP. For fun, I decided to record one game, just a random match - zero warmup (and I am always absolutely terrible the first 30m I play), completely uncensored and a loss at that. Not really ashamed to show it, but there is one notable bad mistake in there (aside from pointless deaths and failure to decap), near the end... see if you can spot it lol. No spellbreakers either, that was sad. Now, look at it and wonder... is it possible to improve on this? Can anybody do this better?

Well I certainly hope so. Because I'm not a higher end PvPer. I dont even have a PvP ranking. I dont even know if I'm middle tier - my last known ranking was years ago. Most of the things I do in the video I do out of WvW roamer habit. I'm not even used to that kind of gear (got to run alot glassier with sPvP stats). And if you dont believe me on that, look at it from this perspective taking into account my last 5 matches:

mdbPnZz.png

Fun fact: the one saying GG at the end at least had a title where he finished 101st-250th in at least one PvP league, lol. I didnt notice that.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Dirame.8521" said:He probably didn't have any cooldowns because he just came from mid so he popped the one thing he could use to handle condi damage.

I don't see that as him being bad seeing as he almost got me down. I also applied poison to him repeatedly so his healing will not have surpassed my damage unless he had more cleanses.Well you never know what you meet in PvP. For fun, I decided to record one game, just a random match - zero warmup (and I am always absolutely terrible the first 30m I play), completely uncensored and a loss at that. Not really ashamed to show it, but there is one notable bad mistake in there (aside from pointless deaths and failure to decap), near the end... see if you can spot it lol. No spellbreakers either, that was sad. Now, look at it and wonder...
is it possible to improve on this
? Can
anybody
do this
better
?

Well I certainly
hope
so. Because I'm not a higher end PvPer. I dont even have a PvP ranking. I dont even know if I'm middle tier - my last known ranking was years ago. Most of the things I do in the video I do out of WvW roamer habit. I'm not even used to that kind of gear (got to run alot glassier with sPvP stats). And if you dont believe me on that, look at it from this perspective taking into account my last 5 matches:

mdbPnZz.png

Fun fact: the one saying GG at the end at least had a title where he finished 101st-250th in at least one PvP league, lol. I didnt notice that.

You did good, man. I definitely can't IMPROVE on it but I can do it DIFFERENTLY. You ran around hilariously a few times but many a time there was someone there to give you support so it worked out. The other problem I really saw throughout the match was you using your toolbar elixir C when you could've used Toss Elixir C which would've saved you a powerful cooldown for cleansing at a much needed moment. I didn't really see much near the end.... what did I miss that you didn't do?

After watching your game I guess I see the problem is that the Core Engie isn't like "Oh wow, I must have a Core engie in my team instead of a Holosmith because they are amazing at this thing! or that thing!". Core Engies don't have that and neither do a lot of Core classes tbh (except maybe Rev, War and Necro).

One minor change I'd like for core engi which could help would be the ability to equip any utility skills in the elite slot.

One massive problem with engineer as a class is that due to the lack of weapon swap, utility skills are at a premium. I just don't have room to run the kits I want and the other utilities. If I could give up my elite slot for an extra kit, or a utility elixir, I would gladly do it. It'd open up so many options for builds. IMO utilities are far more valuable than long cd skills like supply drop or elixir X.

@wasss.1208 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:
is it possible to improve on this
? Can
anybody
do this
better
?

You can hide your magnet pull animation, if you only select a target in the last moment.As I said, I do it by habit from WvW - it's a miracle when the pull even works and isnt obstructed, evaded by passives or just... dont do anything when they are just running, lol. Or even better, when it pulls someone to a location behind you. The problem was pulling correctly.

But anyway, I still dont see it as core being unable to perform. Even the OP states that the core engie is "so far behind"... yet he won 4 out of 6 matches. Are there stronger builds? For sure. But if you can make it work more than half the time against them when you outskill them... Well then it works about as good as anything. No one can win them all. I dont feel particularly weak when running around on core. I rarely meet anyone I cannot bring down below 50% hp and those do overwhelming win usually either totally outplay me (like say a thief just cycling evades for 30s while grinding you down and making you miss every single shot by sheer luck, when he literally die the next fight as he's hit once) or completely counterbuild me (condi immune combo elementalists, bunker boonbeasts, to name a couple). For them... well the point of an MMO is bring friends and it applies to sPvP as well as WvW. Tactics win where brute force builds dont.

Pretty sure people any class and any build will say something similar.