FireSage Build - [PvP] [P3] [Video]

Ragnar.4257

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Decided to give this a try, as something new and fresh. Played 3 matches in unranked and won all 3.

Couple of things I noticed/wondered about:

1. My first 2 games were ugly as I'm pretty unfamiliar with the build, and was the first time I've ever equipped Axe on Guardian.

But even as I was getting roflstomped, I noticed I was occupying 2-3 enemy players, enabling my team to dominate the points.

Silver lining? Not likely to happen vs more skilled and experienced players though right?

1. Tied to #1, after dying it takes so long to get all 4 mantras equipped. I know the solution to that would be 'dont die', but any advice? Just a fact of life?

2. Up intil now I've only played noder roles, mainly Mirage and Thief so my first goal was to cap/decap then move in as a +1.

I felt a little lost here. Should I always default to mid? Once it's controlled, should I be rotating to home/far to assist or am I suppose to camp mid? I know this isn't entirely a team support build, but I'm not sure where I should focus.

Overall I had fun. Combat was very chaotic, but I was able to put out way more pressure than Im used to. Enemies were dodging out faster, and as I said above, I got trained several times. Ill keep practicing this build, and it's nice to have something else to play.

Try focusing on team fights usually. Unless your team is all faster than you, then play like a bunker or a duelist to hold caps while the others zerg

I love it when people think outside the box. Meta is fine when you are running organized teams but it does get boring when you are pideon holed into a specific build. I haven't done any PVP since I stopped playing 3 years ago. Just recently got back into it, mostly WvW roaming at the moment. This looks might be a good template to work from.

While NA rankings don't mean much anymore because even I got on it (which means the entire PvP population is on the leaderboard), running FireSage/Sagebrand all season put me in 250.Testament to how good the concept is. I've also watched the gameplay video a few times to make sure I didn't utterly butcher the playstyle.Thank you for the post, genuinely.

@Ralkuth.1456 said:While NA rankings don't mean much anymore because even I got on it (which means the entire PvP population is on the leaderboard), running FireSage/Sagebrand all season put me in 250.Testament to how good the concept is. I've also watched the gameplay video a few times to make sure I didn't utterly butcher the playstyle.Thank you for the post, genuinely.

It does not matter which server you play on (and never did). There is not enough players regardless. If you can make it to P1 and played the required games, congratulations you are in the top 250. And if you can make to P2 probably top 100.

Unrelated, I think 2 Sage FB in one team can devastate an opposing team mid. I rarely see anyone play Sage FB though :/

• 3 weeks later...

@Riptide.5617 said:Is Mantra of Lore the best choice for this build? Do you really need it?Thx for information.

Well, without it, you don't have any condi-cleanse other than F2. F2 is on a 43s cooldown, and is very easy for enemy to interrupt, so it shouldn't be your only cleanse. If it is, you're straight-up a free kill for the first condi-mirage or condi-thief that comes your way. Anything that can dump 20 stacks of something nasty like burning or confusion on you, you'll be dead before you even finish casting F2.

Other options in that slot for cleanse are Smite Condition, Purging Flames, or Contemplation of Purity.

None of those are terrible options, you could feasibly run them, but I still prefer Mantra of Lore.

Mantra of Lore is, in pretty much every way, better than Contemplation of Purity, because:1) It also gives you the full cleanse/conversion on the final charge2) As well as that it gives you frequent single cleanse, which is useful against things which spam 1-2 conditions.3) It's not just for yourself, it also cleanses for team.The only drawbacks are it doesn't give you a stunbreak and you have to charge the mantra. But those don't out-weight the benefits in my opinion.

Purging Flames, you could run and take Master of Consecrations in Virtues, it'll give you more pressure in a team-fight and also cleanses for your team. The only problem with it is the cast-time. In a 1v1 situation, Purging Flames is pretty low value. The only way a competent enemy will take the damage from PF is if its hidden underneath the visual-clutter in a teamfight. 1v1 nobody is falling for that. Also, to get the full cleanse, you have to sit in the same location for 6+ seconds, which isn't good.

Smite Condition..... ehhh. It's 2 cleanse every 20s instead of 1 cleanse every 10s, except you're losing out on the final-charge full-cleanse, and the AoE cleanse, in exchange for a bit of power damage. But this isn't a high power damage build. If you're running a zerker/marauder zeal build, then sure, but this ain't that.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@Riptide.5617 said:Is Mantra of Lore the best choice for this build? Do you really need it?Thx for information.

Well, without it, you don't have any condi-cleanse other than F2. F2 is on a 43s cooldown, and is very easy for enemy to interrupt, so it shouldn't be your only cleanse. If it is, you're straight-up a free kill for the first condi-mirage or condi-thief that comes your way. Anything that can dump 20 stacks of something nasty like burning or confusion on you, you'll be dead before you even finish casting F2.

Other options in that slot for cleanse are Smite Condition, Purging Flames, or Contemplation of Purity.

None of those are terrible options, you could feasibly run them, but I still prefer Mantra of Lore.

Mantra of Lore is, in pretty much every way, better than Contemplation of Purity, because:1) It also gives you the full cleanse/conversion on the final charge2) As well as that it gives you frequent single cleanse, which is useful against things which spam 1-2 conditions.3) It's not just for yourself, it also cleanses for team.The only drawbacks are it doesn't give you a stunbreak and you have to charge the mantra. But those don't out-weight the benefits in my opinion.

Purging Flames, you could run and take Master of Consecrations in Virtues, it'll give you more pressure in a team-fight and also cleanses for your team. The only problem with it is the cast-time. In a 1v1 situation, Purging Flames is pretty low value. The only way a competent enemy will take the damage from PF is if its hidden underneath the visual-clutter in a teamfight. 1v1 nobody is falling for that. Also, to get the full cleanse, you have to sit in the same location for 6+ seconds, which isn't good.

Smite Condition..... ehhh. It's 2 cleanse every 20s instead of 1 cleanse every 10s, except you're losing out on the final-charge full-cleanse, and the AoE cleanse, in exchange for a bit of power damage. But this isn't a high power damage build. If you're running a zerker/marauder zeal build, then sure, but this ain't that.

The regeneration is always nice too for a build without mace =D

• 1 month later...

I take it this build is still effective? No idea if anything has changed about it recently. I was trying to use it last night and was getting poor results but it's most likely a l2p issue on my part. I couldn't withstand focus fire for more than like 10 second where as with my DH I can stall 5 players for a good 30 seconds depending on how good they are. I had good damage but I seemed super squishy. I would have to burn all my tomes and mantra's while running away to just not be instantly downed in a team fight. Any tips someone could pass on for playing this build?

@Zexanima.7851 said:I take it this build is still effective? No idea if anything has changed about it recently. I was trying to use it last night and was getting poor results but it's most likely a l2p issue on my part. I couldn't withstand focus fire for more than like 10 second where as with my DH I can stall 5 players for a good 30 seconds depending on how good they are. I had good damage but I seemed super squishy. I would have to burn all my tomes and mantra's while running away to just not be instantly downed in a team fight. Any tips someone could pass on for playing this build?

It is actually guardian strongest dps build. And probably, only dps build capable to get to P3 or leg. The biggest mistake people make is using valor instead of honor. Also, I see people using zeal instead of virtues. It is not a symbol build. Do not use zeal.

As the above person said - it is THE best FB build there. Better than mender symbol brand. Also, I've never heard / seen any Sagenrands running valor. Why would you even do that? lol.
P.S. The build is by no means a 'carry OP machine'. You are squishier than the 'traditional' healer FB build, so positioning, kiting and using stunbreaks and CCs timely is very important. Also, you are stuck with traveller rune - because no swiftness