Drakkar and Visions of the Past

Randulf.7614

Episode 2 JANUARY 28th

Aslo, new story stuff which is cool from a story pov, as long as it retains my skillset outside of the vehicle stuff (which does sound fun).https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-the-new-year/ relevant quote below

Elijah Miller, Senior Designer—Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire“Scry into the past and witness what life is like as a member of Ryland’s elite Steel Warband. Armed with the finest charr technology, the group will head into deadly snowstorms, dwarven ruins, and even explore the Darkrime Delves.

As a recruit, you are expected to assist the warband in a variety of tasks. Take up sniper rifles to fend off threats, gather components to bolster allies, and partake in friendly competitions to see who can defeat the most enemies.

Of course, there are additional perks to being in the Steel Warband—the troop is equipped with the latest armored vehicle. Recruits are expected to maintain the vehicle, but if you gather some ammo, you will be more than welcome to hop into one of the gunner seats and rain fiery death down upon any foe foolish enough to oppose the warband.”

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:it too vague 'drive into past of ryland warband' is some kind of LS2 Caithe memories again? this "ryland" is the Rytlock son? if is, inst to soon to "dive into his past". its a bit confusing.

Anyway the title is cool "steel and fire".

Interesting that they used the word 'scry'. The Scrying Pool in the Eye of the North- not too terribly far off from the Bjora Marches- was used to relive a character's past back in GW1, with the help of objects recovered from various sites.

Also curious that this is coming right after an episode where we hear about a norn-specific way of viewing past events... not sure what to make of that yet.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:it too vague 'drive into past of ryland warband' is some kind of LS2 Caithe memories again? this "ryland" is the Rytlock son? if is, inst to soon to "dive into his past". its a bit confusing.

Interesting that they used the word 'scry'. The Scrying Pool in the Eye of the North- not too terribly far off from the Bjora Marches- was used to relive a character's past back in GW1, with the help of objects recovered from various sites.

Also curious that this is coming right after an episode where we hear about a norn-specific way of viewing past events... not sure what to make of that yet.

This and the recently datamined updates by thatshaman to the Eye of the North do suggest we'll be going back there during the Saga.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

thanks for the remark about this word (my english is self-learning so i read interpreting to get the meaning of words that are new to me), i checked the meaning in the dictionary, so i read here that scry is something more specific than a mere vision (in ls2 our caithe "roleplay" is referred to only as a vision), scry is a view "seen through an object that reflects images (such as a mirror, crystal ball or water)", so yeah surely a reference to this norm way to see past.(as side note: It is intriguing that in English there is a specific word for it.).

So the mechanism will be similar, in LS2 the caithe thing it is mentioned only as "vision", as if commander only saw the events, not "participated in caithe body", by the description this will work similarly.

Another side note: this is too much self-spoil of the plot, so they are basically told us that ryland warband was fighting something there. the question that remains is whether they succeeded or not.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Episode 2 JANUARY 28th

-snip vid-

It should be noted that we can't be certain that is drakkar. In GW1, Drakkar wasn't a shark/fish. While it does have the proper sihlouette (hammerhead-like shape, four fins, long tail), Drakkar's limbs were much longer and not very fin-like.

Could be Drakkar, but it could also just be an "Icebrood Shark". Especially since the shadow is rather small compared to Drakkar in GW1, or for a world boss.

We met Ryland in the prologue, and the "past" seems to be Ryland's actions in the Far Shiverpeaks - and given that it involves Darkrime Delves, that means between the events of Bound by Blood and Whisper in the Dark. Unless Ryland had some mission into the Far Shiverpeaks before Bound by Blood that we don't know about.

Seeds of Truth is an apt comparison, narratively speaking; as is Hearts of the North from GW1, if its not even closer. It sounds like this will be a Side Story that requires completing some part of the story, similar to Knight of the Thorn that requires completing Heart of Thorns.

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:Interesting that they used the word 'scry'. The Scrying Pool in the Eye of the North- not too terribly far off from the Bjora Marches- was used to relive a character's past back in GW1, with the help of objects recovered from various sites.

It's no doubt going to involve the Scrying Pool. That_shaman recently tweeted a teaser that Eye of the North got model updates.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:thanks for the remark about this word (my english is self-learning so i read interpreting to get the meaning of words that are new to me), i checked the meaning in the dictionary, so i read here that scry is something more specific than a mere vision (in ls2 our caithe "roleplay" is referred to only as a vision), scry is a view "seen through an object that reflects images (such as a mirror, crystal ball or water)", so yeah surely a reference to this norm way to see past.(as side note: It is intriguing that in English there is a specific word for it.).

So the mechanism will be similar, in LS2 the caithe thing it is mentioned only as "vision", as if commander only saw the events, not "participated in caithe body", by the description this will work similarly.

Another side note: this is too much self-spoil of the plot, so they are basically told us that ryland warband was fighting something there. the question that remains is whether they succeeded or not.

From a narrative perspective, GW2's Seeds of Truth, GW1's Bonus Mission Pack and Hearts of the North were just the PCs watching past events in some sort of vision. But mechanically, we place as the characters. By the description, this will be the same.

I wouldn't really say it's too much of a spoil, to say who and where. Combat is pretty much a given in a game like Guild Wars, which is combat-orientated. But while we know where they are, we have no clue why, or when, or what is hoped to learn from this.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:Episode 2 JANUARY 28th

-snip vid-

It should be noted that we can't be certain that is drakkar. In GW1, Drakkar wasn't a shark/fish. While it does have the proper sihlouette (hammerhead-like shape, four fins, long tail), Drakkar's limbs were much longer and not very fin-like.

Could be Drakkar, but it could also just be an "Icebrood Shark". Especially since the shadow is rather small compared to Drakkar in GW1, or for a world boss.

True, but I'm expecting some kind of model change. The early concept model was utterly different in every way, so clearly they have looked at altered models, so it is not inconceivable Drakkar will look different.

That shadow looks distant enough that size is not accurate enough to judge. It would also seem odd given they have said Drakkar is appearing in Ep2 that they'd do a teaser trailer involving an icebrood shark.

But, yes I understand it isn't a given. It just seems highly likely to me.

My biggest interest is the fight itself. Could it be underwater? That seems highly unlikely, but I am def intrigued. I've waited a long time for this area and this fight and whlst I should have learned by now never to get hopes up, this is something that has got me a little hyped.

@"Arden.7480" said:Spoiler alert, possible spoilers:https://m.imgur.com/a/9jixNaD

From that shaman. If those pics are any close to the true state of the matter, then Drakkar is going to be massive.

i hope the learn their mistakes and dont repeat the bonnerskinner problems, a hyped 'scary boss' very unbalaced and was being killed in 2 mins at release date.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Arden.7480" said:Spoiler alert, possible spoilers:

From that shaman. If those pics are any close to the true state of the matter, then Drakkar is going to be massive.

i hope the learn their mistakes and dont repeat the bonnerskinner problems, a hyped 'scary boss' very unbalaced and was being killed in 2 mins at release date.

To be fair, the Boneskinner was bugged both times.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Arden.7480" said:Spoiler alert, possible spoilers:

Im hoping for a repeat of Tequatl revamp which took a good couple of weeks to get a consistent strategy going. Or like Gerent which is straightforward if numbers and coordination exists.