A Leveling Guide: Early Builds and Tips

@Khisanth.2948 said:It seems you forgot food and utility consumables? Not for the stat increase but for the 20%/25% exp from skills they offer. There are plenty of very cheap ones available on the TP.

Yeah, I'm thinking of putting together a mini-guide for XP buffs. Where possible I want to avoid using the TP as free-to-play players do not immediately have access to it.

Just wanted to say thank you for these guides. After picking up the game years ago and never getting past level 10 I have just recently picked it back up and have been quite lost on what direction to go with hero points. Very useful guides for someone new where all the options and skills can be a bit overwhelming

• 2 weeks later...

@"Ojimaru.8970"Just saw this thread and have three suggestions:

1. Identify trait, skill, and rune options for each profession to improve running speed. This is huge for those without mounts.
  2. Identify AI pets or other skills to help in PvE. Easy-mode is nice for new players adjusting to the game or just a new profession. Pets, minions, turrets, elementals, spirits, clones, and so on can help new players a lot.
  3. In the absence of AI help, or despite it, perhaps identify an, "Oh, bugger!" skill or two for use in emergencies that new players can learn to use to disengage. Something like stealth, a long distance mobility skill, or sending a pet to preoccupy an enemy.
  • Like 1

@Anchoku.8142 said:@"Ojimaru.8970"Just saw this thread and have three suggestions:

1. Identify trait, skill, and rune options for each profession to improve running speed. This is huge for those without mounts.
  2. Identify AI pets or other skills to help in PvE. Easy-mode is nice for new players adjusting to the game or just a new profession. Pets, minions, turrets, elementals, spirits, clones, and so on can help new players a lot.
  3. In the absence of AI help, or despite it, perhaps identify an, "Oh, kitten!" skill or two for use in emergencies that new players can learn to use to disengage. Something like stealth, a long distance mobility skill, or sending a pet to preoccupy an enemy.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Good point. I suppose I have taken mounts (and Choya Pinata Tonic) for granted. I'll look into this.
  2. This one's tricky. First off, all the relevant builds suggested, i.e. Necromancer, and Elementalist, already feature summoned pets; similarly Mesmer clones and phantasms are a core part of the gameplay, as mentioned; finally, the Ranger section does mention pet management as something to learn. I included the Rifle Turret in the Power Engineer build, but generally don't want to recommend turrets too highly due to the tediousness of cooldowns and setup. Secondly, I don't want to players to rely too heavily on summoned minions; to my experience, it can be difficult to wean players off these crutches.
  3. Another good point. I suppose my mindset has been, for the longest time, that nearly all open world encounters -- even while leveling my alts/keyrunners -- end far too quickly to represent enough threat to warrant escape skills. I'll chalk that up to the to-do list.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:@Ojimaru.8970Just saw this thread and have three suggestions:
  3. In the absence of AI help, or despite it, perhaps identify an, "Oh, kitten!" skill or two for use in emergencies that new players can learn to use to disengage. Something like stealth, a long distance mobility skill, or sending a pet to preoccupy an enemy.

Thanks for the feedback.
  1. Good point. I suppose I have taken mounts (and Choya Pinata Tonic) for granted. I'll look into this.
  2. This one's tricky. First off, all the relevant builds suggested, i.e. Necromancer, and Elementalist, already feature summoned pets; similarly Mesmer clones and phantasms are a core part of the gameplay, as mentioned; finally, the Ranger section does mention pet management as something to learn. I included the Rifle Turret in the Power Engineer build, but generally don't want to recommend turrets too highly due to the tediousness of cooldowns and setup. Secondly, I don't want to players to rely too heavily on summoned minions; to my experience, it can be difficult to wean players off these crutches.
  3. Another good point. I suppose my mindset has been, for the longest time, that nearly all open world encounters -- even while leveling my alts/keyrunners -- end far too quickly to represent enough threat to warrant escape skills. I'll chalk that up to the to-do list.

Thank you for the quick response.I know the second suggestion is tricky but very new players can get around easier by using an AI to hold aggro and provide a minimum dps while requiring fewer active skills. I had thought pointing out AI helpers as dps and aggro control would be helpful until a player gained enough personal skill and character levels to unlock and practice more active combat skills.

Mesmers and Rangers come with stock AI pets but I see no harm in reminding players of their most basic use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this, as a new player who's recently started on a necromancer, I've been watching videos and reading up, compared to what I'm used to, GW2 feels a bit more complex but I'm sure it'll make sense eventually!Definitely enjoying it though and it was money well spent.

Been trying around with a few classes started as Elementalist which is fun, looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@"Ojimaru.8970" said:

Ranger

Longbow

!
OHTtYCC.png
! Of course, it would be remiss of me to not offer a build that uses the iconic Longbow. In which case, I feel it would be most appropriate for me to begin by laying down some core concepts of the weapon every Ranger should understand.!! Long Range Shot (Longbow 1) is not your main damage source. Think of the listed damage bonus as incidental, and not something you should aggressively reposition to obtain. In most cases, fighting next to the enemy is just as well as fighting at maximum range, if not better. This is because…!! Rapid Fire (Longbow 2) is your main source of damage. BUT it’s not an attack you use thoughtlessly. More on this later.!! Hunter’s Shot (Longbow 3) does very little in PVE, and should only be used at the very start of combat to allow your Ranger’s pet to engage the enemy faster.!! Point Blank Shot (Longbow 4) is a skill you should assume does not exist. Don’t use it. Don’t look at it. Don’t even think about it. The only exception is when you see a teal Defiance Bar under the enemy’s red Health Bar. This is not only because it does poor damage, but also because it will very, very often knock enemies away from your pet and allies, and lead to some rather annoyed players.!! Barrage (Longbow 5) similarly does not exist, outside of situations where your character is fighting three to five enemies within the abilities area of effect. Against single targets, you’ll deal more damage autoattacking.!! Now that we’ve gotten the most important part out of the way, let’s move on to general combat ability priorities. As mentioned, while fighting single targets, we want to use Rapid Fire as often as possible, and Barrage for larger groups. We will use two Longbows and a neat little trait known as Quickdraw to greatly reduce the otherwise lengthy cooldowns of both skills. For example, for a single target encounter, I would enter combat with an autoattack, activate Quickdraw by swapping to a second Longbow, and attack with Rapid Fire. This causes the cooldown of Rapid Fire to be reduced to just over 3 seconds, as opposed to its original 10. Fill the time with some autoattacks, and launch a second Rapid Fire. Next, wait until Rapid Fire becomes available once more, and weapon swap to continue the rotation.!! Since Quickdraw forms a core part of the rotation of this weapon set, we will spend the first Specialization Slot on Skirmishing, unlocking as far as Quickdraw before moving on to something else.!! Marksmanship comes next for some flat damage bonuses, as above, as well as more cooldown reduction with Lead the Wind.!! Again, for an easier time adventuring in the harder zones while you further acclimate to the character, Specialize in Wilderness Survival for some sustain.

I'm using a longbow for the first assault and Sick'em, so my pet can get close. Then I'll switch to a short bow and poison the enemy and start firing rapidly with auto-attack (skill #1). My specializations are using skills to pin the enemy down to it's place. If I'll get in real trouble I'll summon my entanglements so I can get away while the enemy is stuck. Probably not the highest DPS build but works like a charm for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, Ojimaru.8970 said:

This is such a nice post. Unfortunately it looks like the web site code changed, and the formatting is hosed. Are you still around, and is it possible to fix the formatting? And would you, please? 🙂

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the outstanding guide, Ojimaru! This is actually my second Guild Wars 2 account. I've been playing since 2018 I wanted an account for my brother to use, who plays sometimes, while I play, so I made a new one.

The reason I mention this is that I wanted you to know your guide has helped me immensely ever since it was published in 2019, and I learned a LOT of good things as a new player and as a semi-veteran now. ✌️

I've also noticed recently, even before the release of EoD, that there are a whole bunch of new players to Guild Wars 2 and that the community is growing and being reinvigorated, so I'm hoping others will find this guide as useful as I did. Some of the content is different from the tips given here now, but it's still easily adaptable, and I didn't have much trouble learning the new stuff after using your guide. It's almost "timeless" lol!

Anyway, thanks again, and for any new players, I *highly* recommend reading this, at least for your main character's class, as well as the beginning, and returning as you make new toons. It will save a lot of headaches. 🙏

Btw, I know I'm posting three years after this was written, but the guide is still relevant today, and very helpful to newbies, so I hope nobody wastes time accusing me of "necro-posting", which is a foolish concept to begin with. 🙄 If they didn't want necro-posters they shouldn't allow posting still, and besides, many times so-called necro-posters can revitalize and enhance an old post. I only mention this because it's happened before in a similar post, and reading the replies to my accuser, I came to realize I was far from the only one who despises the idea of posting to older messages. 👎

Anyway, sorry for the "wall of text", thanks again Ojimaru, and I wish everyone in Tyria and IRL good luck and prosperous times! 😁

Edited by frostbyte.9074
I realized just what an inordinate amount of space they place between them. 😆