Tier 6 materials observation

• 4 weeks later...

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Sell what you don't need to buy what you do. It has ever been the idea behind the TP. Pretty sure that selling 5000 elder wood will buy you a lot of leather.

This is pretty much what we resort to. But it doesn't change the reality of an imbalance of the drop rates when compared to other materials taking into consideration amounts needed and time requirement to obtain each outside of sell buy obtaining. I do appreciate everyone's participation in the thread. But this quoted recommendation seems to still be the way to deal with the situation.

I needed 250 squares to craft Flameseeker Prophecies. Volatile Magic shipments are the way to go by far, for both leather and t6 materials for the gifts of might and magic. Nothing else comes close except maybe straight out buying what you need. Then again, this was when t6 leather(unrefined) cost roughly 16s each, so this may be dated information and no longer applicable.

@Hashberry.4510 said:I wonder if this is on purpose so the tp tax drains a bit more gold from the economy.

I doubt it. It wouldn't make sense to make a single crafting material scarce to act as an indirect gold sink. To be honest I think they just gave up trying to balance things and just added a couple more tiny supplements. As for the shipments thing., you would have to assume everyone has the content or current access to the content in order to supplement with it; and also that the cost to obtain via it isn't more than it would be to just buy them from the TP.

@Jia Shen.4217 said:As for the shipments thing., you would have to assume everyone has the content or current access to the content in order to supplement with it; and also that the cost to obtain via it isn't more than it would be to just buy them from the TP.

Everyone doesn't need access - just enough players. And if the cost of the shipment is greater than buying the materials from the TP then those materials obviously doesn't need the inflow of supply (I doubt any significant number of cloth shipments has ever been taken, for instance).

The shipments functions as regulators between materials (at t5 and 6). People will generally pick the shipment that gives the most profit, which in turn provides a downward pressure on the price of those materials. If leather rises in price, more people will pick up leather shipments and the price will likely lower a bit again.

This is similar to how Mystic Forge promotion is a regulator between tiers within the same material. It places a soft cap on how big the price difference between between tiers can be - if t5 becomes dirt cheap t6 can't stay expensive as promotion will increase supply.

@Jia Shen.4217 said:End result from opening and salvaging at least 2,500 blue, 2,500 green, and 500 yellow. Just shy of 50 hardened leather sections and just over 50 gossamer scraps. And in comparison a full stack of orichalcum ore and a full stack of ancient wood logs. This to me is kind of crazy. It should not be so heavily slanted to the ore and wood when those can be readily gathered from nodes throughout end level zones. But leather and scraps can only be gotten outside of such means (no significant source outside of salvaging). To put perspective on the time effort here. In the same amount of time it took me to get just shy of 50 leather sections I was able to harvest the following:

5,580 Elder Wood Log900 Seasoned Wood Log1,740 Hard Wood Log1,160 Soft Wood Log180 Ancient Wood Log180 Green Wood Log

That's nearly all of the wood needed to complete the second collection for crafting nevermore.

It's intentional. Anet operates the game on scarcity & chaos principles in order to generate gem sales. Some items are given a high percentage chance with RNG in order to balance the very low RNG of other items (i.e. leather) so that some vital items are cost prohibitive, thus encouraging people to just buy gems to convert to gold so they can get their crafted item in a realistic time frame that works with their available time to play the game.

The addition of the leather farm in Lake Doric was an attempt to put a cap on the maximum price that some types of leather would rise to, without affecting the price drastically, which worked.