player with Jackal mount and no mastery points

@Tukaram.8256 said:Along those same lines... Why are mastery points displayed? Are we supposed to care how many points anyone else has? I don't really care how many I have.

I find it useful as a quick reference of how much someone has done, especially now you get the level 80 booster with the game so a level 80 player could be brand new and not have a clue how things work (and using the tanky equipment from the boost which gives you lower DPS). If I see someone with single-digit mastery points doing an event I'll hold back a bit and make sure they have time to kill things or collect things or whatever we're doing. Sometimes it's obvious that's not needed, and then I'll go back to playing normally but I don't want to be that person who sweeps in and completes the event before the newbies have a chance to figure out what they're being asked to do.

@Tukaram.8256 said:Along those same lines... Why are mastery points displayed? Are we supposed to care how many points anyone else has? I don't really care how many I have.

Also to add to Danikat's response: it's not mastery points on display but mastery levels. For example I have way more mastery points than I have mastery levels ;)

The difference is that Mastery Levels are granted for actually spending those mastery points on masteries, and them being displayed has same point as displaying character level - it gives a quick glimpse into progression of certain character.

@"Tukaram.8256" said:Along those same lines... Why are mastery points displayed? Are we supposed to care how many points anyone else has? I don't really care how many I have.

Well you see that is the problem right there. You are not one of those people who need to see their "level" constantly inflating. Mastery points are displayed to pretend to be like those other games where the level cap is continually inflated.

It's also possible to have get the Jackal without investing any points into masteries. If the person is completely new and has not invested any points into masteries and maybe gotten their mounts before doing anything else (maybe looked up online how to get it). It's possible to use a mount without investing any mastery points into it. However, if they got to The Desolation and unlocked their Jackal, it's much more likely they had some mastery points and were just under level 80, on a char different than the one that got unlocked the Jackal.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Tukaram.8256" said:Along those same lines... Why are mastery points displayed? Are we supposed to care how many points anyone else has? I don't really care how many I have.

You don't care but lots of people do. This game doesn't have your usual linear gear tier system so all the prestige and "show off" values are tied within achievements, titles, and fashion wars.

Plenty of people care, and it's also a somewhat reliable sign they have some decent experience in the game. It's like a badge, and a nice one too.