Worth it to craft exotic Viper's over Ascended now?

Lambent.6375

@Khisanth.2948 said:In a way if you intend to use ascended eventually it is never worth crafting the exotic

The Lunatic set might be worth it since that is account bound so you can at least have use for it after upgrading to ascended

o_0 Really?

Thanks, good thing I asked because I already had the mats for a set of lunatic armor for the achievement, it's just that I never bothered crafting because I'm a pack rat and didn't want them taking up my bank space.

(lunatic armor also seems to be cheaper to craft even if I didn't have the mats on hand)

What Khisanth.2948 is referring to is the ability to change ascended gear stats:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

Given the recipe for changing the stats of an ascended piece contains 1 exotic insignia/inscription, and the insignia/inscription is usually the part which makes an item expensive, there is often no point in crafting standard expensive exotic gear if you have the ability to stat change ascended.

The exotic item will always be a sunk cost given the materials can not be recovered and the item is character bound.

The only "alternatives" here are stat select able cheaper sets which would provide the desired attribute combination.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:What Khisanth.2948 is referring to is the ability to change ascended gear stats:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

No that is not what I am referring to. Stat changing is for ascended items. There are a bunch of exotics which are permanently account bound.

@Lambent.6375 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:In a way if you intend to use ascended eventually it is never worth crafting the exotic

The Lunatic set might be worth it since that is account bound so you can at least have use for it after upgrading to ascended

o_0 Really?

Thanks, good thing I asked because I already had the mats for a set of lunatic armor for the achievement, it's just that I never bothered crafting because I'm a pack rat and didn't want them taking up my bank space.

(lunatic armor also seems to be cheaper to craft even if I didn't have the mats on hand)

The lunatic armor set's recipes are probably a lot more expensive and not always available for purchase.

Other sets that might be worth it would be warbeast and ornate guild armor since they provide a unique skin. Warbeast recipe sheets are no longer crazily expensive as they used to be and despite the "Harrier" in the recipe sheet's name and the Harrier insignia being used in the recipe, the items are actually stat selectable .

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:What Khisanth.2948 is referring to is the ability to change ascended gear stats:

No that is not what I am referring to. Stat changing is for ascended items. There are a bunch of exotics which are permanently account bound.

Well then I misunderstood since I assumed you were talking about the exotic insignia required for stat changing being a sunk cost when used for crafting exotic gear.

Not sure I fully agree with the sentiment that exotic gear is useless if someone eventually plans to end at ascended, given the first few ascended sets are very expensive for new players and might take a long time. I would rather advise players to work on budget exotic builds in that case.

Doesn't matter though since I'm sure topic got some good answers overall.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Khisanth.2948" said:

Other sets that might be worth it would be warbeast and ornate guild armor since they provide a unique skin. Warbeast recipe sheets are no longer crazily expensive as they used to be and despite the "Harrier" in the recipe sheet's name and the Harrier insignia being used in the recipe, the items are actually stat selectable .

Good to know about Warbeast! That makes crafting exotic armor so much easier, if I can just make stat-selectable pieces. Wish I'd known about the Lunatic armor...account-bound exotic...now I have to wait another year.