Returning Engineer and have some questions.

Tsyras.5274

I played this game quite a bit soon after launch until probably 2015. I barely did any PvE other than world bosses (haven't even looked to see if the boss train is still a viable thing anymore).I do have some questions:

1) In both solo roaming WvW and non-competitive sPvP I typically ran a P/S condition build that kited and did well in solo pvp and small skirmishes (typically used Med Kit [which seems to be changed as I used to drop kits on the ground and run through them], Elixir Gun, Tool Kit, and Elixir S). I used Rabid gear for this endeavor. Is this still viable for solo/1v1 pvp? If so what Runes and Sigils are now used for something like this? Is condition removal still a problem? I seem to recall using Alchemy line to help with this.2) There are no more healing bombs!! I loved WvW zerg with healing bombs. What are Engis typically doing in large zergs now?

I plan on purchasing the expansions but I am more interested in sticking with the core engineer. I guess a TLDR is P/S condi still good in 1v1 and what is done in zerg pvp?

Right now most (if not all) core specs are underpowered so i would not recommend playing with core engineer in any mode as elite specs easily outstands it. I don't play sPvP but i've already played a lot of wvw and i rarely see a core engineer.

For PvE the best builds at the moment are both from Holosmith (PoF elite sepc) and you have power and condition DPS build options. There is a condition core engineer option that is on pair with condition holosmith though.For WvW, Scrapper (HoT elite spec) is a great support for large and small scale fights, losing only to FB but it can assume a DPS role and do lots of damage with hammer and gyros if properly buffed in a zerg. Holosmith is a really good roamer even with the constant nerfs.For sPvP, from what i know both elite specs are doing well, maybe you can even find a decent core engineer build to play there.

Edit: You can find these builds in the metabattle : https://metabattle.com/wiki/Engineer

Right now most (if not all) core specs are underpowered so i would not recommend playing with core engineer in any mode as elite specs easily outstands it. I don't play sPvP but i've already played a lot of wvw and i rarely see a core engineer.

That is not true. A lot of core specs perform rather well. Core necro, core ele, core warrior, core guardian, core thief are all seen quite often especially in sPvP, especially after they started to introduce 'trade-offs'.Core engi is bad coz of a lot of skills (both weapon skills - pistols, and utility - some elixirs, most toolkits, turrets, gadgets) are still stuck in the pre-HoT balance and ANet refuses to take care of them. The "aggresive" traitlines are very lackluster too (Explosives and Firearms) and thus engi needs to rely on Holosmith to do damage.

Scrapper is suppose to be a 'bruiser' spec that relies on dealing damage to generate barrier and survive... and thus it turned out to be a quite good support spec (thanks to utility skills), with not even kidding. The elite spec mechanic is weird, buggy and generally laughed at ("Unfunction gyro") and hardly copes with what scrapper is meant to do. Hammer has a good CC, mobility, dmg and some dmg mitigation, can do some spike damage but is slow and hits can be hard to land and can't be relied on to generate barrier to survive. And scrapper won't work with condition damage so you are stuck with power. But condi on engi is bad anyway.

Core condi engineer is not a very strong class. I would say that it is not very viable for 1v1s or small skirmishes. Don't let that discourage you though, anything is possible.

A lot of new stats have been added since 2015. I would say instead of rabid, you might want to look at grieving.

As far as zerging goes, support scrapper would be your best bet. Minstrel armor, monk runes, double hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, even Holosmith(PoF spec) is outclassed if compared with others core and elites(Ranger Core, Ranger Soulbeast, Warrior Spellbreaker, Necro Reaper, Necro Scourge, Guardian Core, Guardian Dragonhunter, Guardian Firebrand, Thief Core, Thief Daredevil, Elementalist Core, Elementalist Weaver, Mesmer Core, Mesmer Chronomancer, Mesmer Mirage...)

The engi needs urgent increments on several skills and traits.

Given the rampant projectile hate, easy codie cleanse and the sad state of pistols I would avoid core engi. Like others have mentioned they are an extremely rare sight in WvW and for good reason. Go Scrapper for zerg support or Holo for roaming. You may want to consider a different class as there are far better options for group and solo play.

@"Jaruselka.5943" said:Given the rampant projectile hate, easy codie cleanse and the sad state of pistols I would avoid core engi. Like others have mentioned they are an extremely rare sight in WvW and for good reason. Go Scrapper for zerg support or Holo for roaming. You may want to consider a different class as there are far better options for group and solo play.Group 5+ definetly, but solo? The condi engie can even give condi cleansing evade spinning combo weavers a run for their money. It doesnt leave much margin for error sure but its well equipped to handle most threats. Since WvW isnt ranking based you will rarely be in a "skill X engie meet skill X class and 100% looses because skill X on another class is always superior" situation. Theres always someone better than you running around regardless of class... you just got to make sure a majority of whom you meet is worse.