What makes a great team great?

Abelisk.5148

@"Ryan.9387" said:Also just want to throw an interesting article I read a few months ago out to anyone who is interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/features/2019/7/11/18632716/esports-amateur-pro-players-teams-talent-process

There is similarity with the problems described there and what gw2 pvp has. In short, there are casual players, and ex esl/ag players. There is a wide gap between these groups and no structural process to cross it. ATs should have been that, but fail through poor design.

The real answer why these teams are good is this: they're the only 5 stacks of players left who used to participate in real tournaments back in the day. They crossed the gap before the bridge burned, and if you are on the other side of the gap now, you don't have the faintest chance.

It's a nice theory, but I don't see the evidence of it.

Outside of the "former-pro" clique there is a layer of players who can give these players a hard time, and who can substitute into those teams if needed. This roughly corresponds to Plat-3 and many of these players only started in the last few years.

I don't see there being any insurmountable barrier to rising from Gold to mAT winner, other than putting in the thousands of hours practice, which most people CBA to do, and being willing to adapt to the meta rather than crying on forums.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@"Ryan.9387" said:Also just want to throw an interesting article I read a few months ago out to anyone who is interested.

There is similarity with the problems described there and what gw2 pvp has. In short, there are casual players, and ex esl/ag players. There is a wide gap between these groups and no structural process to cross it. ATs should have been that, but fail through poor design.

The real answer why these teams are good is this: they're the only 5 stacks of players left who used to participate in real tournaments back in the day. They crossed the gap before the bridge burned, and if you are on the other side of the gap now, you don't have the faintest chance.

It's a nice theory, but I don't see the evidence of it.

Outside of the "former-pro" clique there is a layer of players who can give these players a hard time, and who can substitute into those teams if needed. This roughly corresponds to Plat-3 and many of these players only started in the last few years.

I don't see there being any insurmountable barrier to rising from Gold to mAT winner, other than putting in the thousands of hours practice, which most people CBA to do, and being willing to adapt to the meta rather than crying on forums.

There is a difference between plat3 and former tournament players. The difference shows up the moment you get them into voice chat.

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:Team USA, Rank 55 Dragons. What makes these people so good? Discuss.

Nothing. I mean other than a couple of them, aren't they largely made up of people who weren't good enough to beat The Abjured in NA or TCG/Orange Logo in EU when the game actually had some sort of vaguely meaningful competitive playerbase (albeit small in the grand scheme of things).

If you want to learn what makes a great team go watch a proper competitive PvP game with an actual competitive population, better yet watch a sport, fat fuchs playing CS:GO are a joke compared to the likes of Messi & Co. Rather than a 7 year old MMORPG with a PvP population on life support that is played by players suffering from GW2 Stockholm Syndrome, who give zero fuchs about actual skilled or competitive PvP.

Back in the days, we're I could play with my irl friends, we had a great synergy in our team. We knew exactly the weaknesses and strength from everybody and we adjusted our builds for all of us together.

Today anet really do not wanna push real teams in the game, training as full team in unranked doesn't feel rewording or make that fun

@phokus.8934 said:

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:Team USA, Rank 55 Dragons. What makes these people so good? Discuss.

You never see them coming to the forums asking for ridiculous nerfs/buffs to classes. They actually spend time in game learning mechanics and getting better.

If the vast majority of players on this subforum did that then maybe ranked wouldn't be filled with RP builds and just bad play.

No instead they rage about it on their streams, "degenerate" this "monkey" that, constantly, all stream, every time they stream. If you want to see something interesting, pay attention to what they cry and rage about and the balance changes that come out, then for something even more interesting, pay attention to the terminology the devs use in their official balance notes eg. "degenerate" etc.

It's plainly obvious to any one paying attention, but funnily enough if you post about the REAL shit, ur posts are deleted like flandre's. Reddit doesn't have that problem though.

@Vicariuz.1605 said:

You never see them coming to the forums asking for ridiculous nerfs/buffs to classes. They actually spend time in game learning mechanics and getting better.

If the vast majority of players on this subforum did that then maybe ranked wouldn't be filled with RP builds and just bad play.

No instead they rage about it on their streams, "degenerate" this "monkey" that, constantly, all stream, every time they stream. If you want to see something interesting, pay attention to what they cry and rage about and the balance changes that come out, then for something even more interesting, pay attention to the terminology the devs use in their official balance notes eg. "degenerate" etc.

It's plainly obvious to any one paying attention, but funnily enough if you post about the REAL kitten, ur posts are deleted like flandre's. Reddit doesn't have that problem though.

Flandre is a meme who can't control her emotions when posting. Flaming Ben and others does no one any good.

@zinkz.7045 said:

Nothing. I mean other than a couple of them, aren't they largely made up of people who weren't good enough to beat The Abjured in NA or TCG/Orange Logo in EU when the game actually had some sort of vaguely meaningful competitive playerbase (albeit small in the grand scheme of things).

If you want to learn what makes a great team go watch a proper competitive PvP game with an actual competitive population, better yet watch a sport, fat fuchs playing CS:GO are a joke compared to the likes of Messi & Co. Rather than a 7 year old MMORPG with a PvP population on life support that is played by players suffering from GW2 Stockholm Syndrome, who give zero fuchs about actual skilled or competitive PvP.

R55 was a mix of orange logo and r55 who got second at worlds ?

@bluri.2653 said:

Sorry, but I don't regard a team (r55) who were never good enough to do the business as it were, as being "great". This is a game where most of the PvP playerbase had left before most of these tournaments even came into existence, the actual level of competition has always been pretty weak. So on that if I have to class a team as "great" in GW2, then that will be the three teams that actually proved themselves in those tournaments, not also-rans like r55.

As for the Orange Logo players that would be why I stated "other than a couple of them".

But then beyond all that the idea that any team is "great" (even by the low standards of GW2) for winning ATs with the state of GW2 PvP and the level of "competition" since ATs were added is simply laughable anyway.

@zinkz.7045 said:

Sorry, but I don't regard a team (r55) who were never good enough to do the business as it were, as being "great". This is a game where most of the PvP playerbase had left before most of these tournaments even came into existence, the actual level of competition has always been pretty weak. So on that if I have to class a team as "great" in GW2, then that will be the three teams that actually proved themselves in those tournaments, not also-rans like r55.

As for the Orange Logo players that would be why I stated "other than a couple of them".

But then beyond all that the idea that any team is "great" (even by the low standards of GW2) for winning ATs with the state of GW2 PvP and the level of "competition" since ATs were added is simply laughable anyway.

rank55 were like 50/50 with us (orange logo) in esl go4s so idk what you on about

@phokus.8934 said:

It's plainly obvious to any one paying attention, but funnily enough if you post about the REAL kitten, ur posts are deleted like flandre's. Reddit doesn't have that problem though.

Flandre is a meme who can't control her emotions when posting. Flaming Ben and others does no one any good.

weak argument. can character assassinate as much as u want, still a multi monthly AT winner who knows whats going on "behind the scenes."