Getting kicked to character select screen every hour or so since the Wintersday Patch. (error :101)

Luna.9640

Since the Wintersday patch me and some other people in our discord are having this issue where we get kicked to character select screen every hour or hours.

The game stops reponding then this message pops:

Screen 1

Instantly followed by this message:

Screen 2

Here are other variants of same issue from people in discord:

Booted to character select

Clicking the same character logging back to instantly get 2nd message:

Instantly logged back to get 2nd message

So the game isn't loosing a connection to the game servers or anything related to firewall or modem or your internet connection.

The game literally kicks you to character select screen every hour like a anti-afk timer configured badly on the server even tho you're actively playing.

The fact that you get kicked to character select and can instantly log back to game clicking the same or otehr character is enough proof that it ain't a client but server or game network issue.

Just to avoid getting - restart your modem/pc check your connection or other similar posts here - we did all those and even more - those are not related.(some of us had streams open and going ...others had internet music platforms like sportify and youtube open and they didn't had any connectivity issues when this issues happens every hour.)

I AM also getting that 24/7 SINCE WINTERSDAY. Since Wintersday alot of things have been happening. Was Wintersday a rush job because my computer NEVER acted like this and it doesnt act like this on my other games. I am getting EXTREMELY high pings that range from 43 - 4,000. (yes 4,000) and my pc never did that in all the 6+ years im playing GW2. I submitted a ticket and anet keeps saying check your internet; IT IS NOT MY internet service its ever since Wintersday was launched. Please fix this. Hopefully when Wintersday is OVER it will go back to normal.

• Sad 1

I am having these same issues. It is frustrating since I just bought the game December 17. I am having NO issues with SWTOR. So I am having fun over THERE! I paid $55 for GW2 digital deluxe and have been so upset that there is no refund option when it is not my fault. If I had known that I was not giving myself a good Christmas present, but rather the gift from HELL, I would not have purchased it.

Experiencing the same though it is sporadic in large chunks of time. This is from US side connecting to EU server (Blacktide). Game play through from morning Dec 30 9am EST through 2pm EST was fine. Connected that evening Dec 30 8pm EST and the latency/drops began. Login is very slow, with zone loading first the audio then several minutes later the zone loads. All activity once/if loaded is highly delayed. It is still occurring this morning Dec 31st 6am EST. All other games/streaming services are functioning perfectly, though we did do modem/router reboot as a matter of troubleshooting to no effect.

H> @"DrakkenPA.5198" said:

Experiencing the same though it is sporadic in large chunks of time. This is from US side connecting to EU server (Blacktide). Game play through from morning Dec 30 9am EST through 2pm EST was fine. Connected that evening Dec 30 8pm EST and the latency/drops began. Login is very slow, with zone loading first the audio then several minutes later the zone loads. All activity once/if loaded is highly delayed. It is still occurring this morning Dec 31st 6am EST. All other games/streaming services are functioning perfectly, though we did do modem/router reboot as a matter of troubleshooting to no effect.

Hi Everyone,

have also experience high pings since Wintersday even up to 5,000 ping whether in a populate area or not. Anet gave me some help and since I did this I have not gotten a high ping as of yet.

Try this out see if it helps you. I have been playing the game Under Guild Wars2 Windowed

To help us rule out a possible cause of your high ping issue, please try running Guild Wars 2 in a Window. This should allow the game to bypass whatever resolution was picked and from there, you can reset it to full screen in the correct resolution. To do this:

First, please navigate to your Guild Wars 2 folder. By default, this will be C:\Program Files(x86)\Guild Wars 2.

Right-click on "Gw2-64.exe" and select "Create Shortcut."Rename this shortcut to "Guild Wars 2 Windowed."Right-click on this shortcut and select "Properties."Edit the "Target" line to include -windowed at the end. Note: Please make sure -windowed is outside of the quotes-- Correctly Formatted Example: " C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -windowed -- Incorrectly Formatted Example: " C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe -windowed "Once completed, click "Ok" to save your changes.

If you get an error trying to save, your target line may not have the correct format. Please try Step 5 again.

Once completed, try starting Guild Wars 2 again by using this new shortcut.

Please let us know the results of this test at your earliest convenience.

Good luck and HOnestly I understand what you are going through. Just hoping after Windersday is done and over with everything will go back to normal.

• 2 years later...

Same here! Somebody said that it might be because of the addons (arc dps and mount radial). I deleted every addon, deleted and uninstalled everything about GW, and reinstalled again. Same thing.

This confirms its not my fault and they really broke something with this new patch. I do get kicked off to char select after not being able to move or use skills, even tho I'm present there and get event participation or stuff like this, every 5 minutes. Even if I'm alone same thing happens. 

Weird thing to mention, the highest ping it showed me I had was around 50. But acting like 5000. 
So what do we do Anet, eh?

1 hour ago, Jerme.5491 said:

Same here! Somebody said that it might be because of the addons (arc dps and mount radial). I deleted every addon, deleted and uninstalled everything about GW, and reinstalled again. Same thing.

This confirms its not my fault and they really broke something with this new patch. I do get kicked off to char select after not being able to move or use skills, even tho I'm present there and get event participation or stuff like this, every 5 minutes. Even if I'm alone same thing happens. 

Weird thing to mention, the highest ping it showed me I had was around 50. But acting like 5000. 
So what do we do Anet, eh?

You do realize you are responding to a thread from 2019?