Can the parent of a minor really not ask for account help?

Hi. I have two minor children with whom I enjoy playing GW2. One hasn't logged in a while and requires password support. When I completed the online account recovery on his behalf I was told by customer support that the request must come from him. I thought this was odd since I purchased his game, supplied the game serial code in the support request form, and ultimately authorize all his in-game purchases and account decisions. Can I not assist him as his parent and legal guardian?

@xaviyago.7924 said:Hi. I have two minor children with whom I enjoy playing GW2. One hasn't logged in a while and requires password support. When I completed the online account recovery on his behalf I was told by customer support that the request must come from him. I thought this was odd since I purchased his game, supplied the game serial code in the support request form, and ultimately authorize all his in-game purchases and account decisions. Can I not assist him as his parent and legal guardian?

The problem is ANet has no way to know that you are indeed his parent.

Since this should be an easy fix you could have him contact support and ask you for help if needed. This would also be a nice easy life lesson for how to reach out to support to get a problem resolved.

Technically, no. When creating an account you acknowledge that you are 18+. For ages 13-17 (the game is 13+), the parent creates the account and shares it - a minor can't own an account.

If you contact support on the account's email, you won't have any problems if you know the account's details (registered name, etc).

@Seera.5916 said:The problem is ANet has no way to know that you are indeed his parent.

ANet has no way of knowing anything. You could be the Cookie Monster that's contacting support with the login information provided by the account owner. That's no valid point to refuse assistance. I could contact support and claim I was the Pope - they'd still have to help me as they cannot validate my identity anyway.

@xaviyago.7924 said:Appeared to be a mix up on the customer support side and I was able to assist my son.

Next time, just don't say who you are and simply request support. It's not like you need to provide fingerprints or a webcam shot to prove you are the rightful owner of the account. Having all the account data required is enough, just state your business and request help. Any additional information about your identity and family relations is irrelevant.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Seera.5916 said:The problem is ANet has no way to know that you are indeed his parent.

ANet has no way of knowing anything. You could be the Cookie Monster that's contacting support with the login information provided by the account owner. That's no valid point to refuse assistance. I could contact support and claim I was the Pope - they'd still have to help me as they cannot validate my identity anyway.

@xaviyago.7924 said:Appeared to be a mix up on the customer support side and I was able to assist my son.

Next time, just don't say who you are and simply request support. It's not like you need to provide fingerprints or a webcam shot to prove you are the rightful owner of the account. Having all the account data required is enough, just state your business and request help. Any additional information about your identity and family relations is irrelevant.

Not sure what any of your examples have to do with the OP's case.

Neither Cookie Monster or the Pope are relationships to an account (owner, parents of owner, etc).

Because I assume that if someone claims they are owner or parent of owner that ANet has a series of things that the person must check off in order to verify they are who they claim to be in order to provide assistance. But ANet doesn't care what your legal name is or your profession with regards to giving assistance.