Unrank, 2vs2 Rank and Tournaments ? What's going on?

Ouk.5914

Off Season 2vs2 League was brought up a few months ago and yet not a word about this at all? We have been asking for 2vs2 for almost a year now, and yet this can't be added at all even though it's working well when you guys dropped it during a patch just to test run it.

Can we please for the love of god start making actual moves for the game mode aside of balance patches ? Swiss has taken FAR to long and now 2vs2 is taking WAY to long. Stop Holding this game mode back. We legit don't care if it's half ass finish just give us SOMETHING TO DO once rank season ends. Unrank with it's random match making isn't even fun nor worth playing at all.

At the moment all we have is At's every few hours(great update), and Monthly Tournament once a Month now(should make it twice a month again). We need something to keep players entertained and kept busy. I Honestly can't understand What's so hard for the dev to understand that the hardcore players and even the casual players are tired of not having anything to do during the 2-3 week break.

Also not to mention we we're promised ToL(tournament of legends)More then Once for 2019 and that ALSO didn't happen at all. It's just shocking to know that MOST of the fun activities that are happening are based by small time guilds who are trying to give the community stuff to do but aren't even supported by anet because they aren't "partnered". If you Guy's don't play on doing much beside BALANCE patches then can we at least revamp the gw2 partnership and actually hand it out to players that are Doing something for the pvp community?

Huge rant but I can't be the only one getting tired of the same false promises and silly attempts to get the community "happy" for no reason. Instead of lacking communication with the community and going quiet for months why not share any and all updates made toward any of the stuff you guys keep telling us your working on?

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:I don't think they are working on PvP at all. If they are it's very few days out of the month, very few things happen for PvP. Nothing Ben has said has happened in at least a year maybe two. Somethings really take 2 years to develope ( swiss) does it?

That's the issue. Most of the stuff Announced have already been made and it's just sitting around either being untouched or not spoken about at all.

I couldn't really care less about swiss, but I totally agree on the 2's and 3's queue and partnership programs.

It really escapes me why the devs of this game are ALLERGIC to giving it proper visibility and support. It feels like they begrudgingly give out partnerships, if at all (which has zero cost to them and only fosters a better and larger community, and in some cases actually generates $ for them).

(#PartnerVallun)

Not only does Vallun have the following and viewership that would make use of a partnership, he plays all 3 game modes, has one of the highest AP in the entire game, and would be a fun alternative caster to "the Jebro" for the NA monthly mAT. Why is arena net against rewarding players that put effort into their game?

It may be an unpopular opinion but I simply do not care; Jebro doesn't even know who's playing in the finals while he is "casting" it, and I use that term extremely loosely as half of the finals matches are staring into the ground or watching some one leave spawn (as demonstrated in the last 3) and is one of if not the only option to watch for the NA mAT. Allow more people who stream your game to grow their streams @Anet, it is a win/win.

What does it take for the devs to speak? How hard is it to come on the forums, or reddit, or in twitch streams and actually talk about stuff? Are you going to try to convince me that every one's lives are too consumed, enveloped and fully scheduled with zero down time to have the ability to do that? I call bullshit, it's obvious to any one with a brain that it's because there is a genuine disinterest. How is it a good idea for a company to remain silent to its audience and player base? Imagine if you owned a company and were silent to your shareholders, it's just a horrible take.

Imagine if the pvp devs showed up on the guildwars 2 official twitch and actually spoke to any of the pvp community instead of just watching people backpedal in pve and wvw. Imagine for a second, if the company actually wanted to engage its community in a way other than surface level fake positivity and "inclusiveness."

• ArenaNet Staff

A lot of this stuff is actually in progress right now. Hopefully we'll be able to give more details soon. I'll give a somewhat vague status update on each one:

Big Balance Patch: First pass is basically done. Cmc is running through some last minute changes and it should start internal testing soon.

Swiss: Almost done (finally!). We ran an internal test on it right before the break and we're hoping to run some public tests in the nearish future. The last I saw of it, there were still some bugs that needed to be resolved. The extra gold for tournament wins not being distributed and some UI problems on the order of columns not lining up properly and tooltips and such. Tournaments themselves have some new bugs that we're looking into (rewards problems).

Mini-Seasons: This is giving us the ability to run alternate game mode short seasons. Code is being added to track additional rating types now! Basically, before we can do these, we need to make it so that your 2v2/3v3 skill rating is different from your conquest skill rating. In addition to that, we still need to set up rewards for them.

PvP/WvW new armorset: There are some art bugs that need fixed, but the the art is done for the most part. We're also adjusting the acquisition method. These probably won't just be tossed on the vendors like previous armors.

Large PvP map (15 on 15). The map itself has been done for a while. But we've decided to hold off on releasing it until we're able to get someone to make UI changes. Currently, the UI can't handle more than 10v10. Additionally, 10v10 UI is bad. It's just one large group rather than using the squad UI. Unfortunately, when the programmers looked into how difficult it would be to add squad functionality, it turned out the current way groups are handled in PvP makes it a difficult change. Basically, it might be easier for us to build a new solution that mimics squad functionality than to try to shoe-horn the current squad functionality into PvP.

Other stuff: There are some other things also being looked into, but since they haven't been previously talked about, I don't want to go into more detail at this time!

Well, this turned out to be a little more detailed than I planned, but that's where we stand right now. Hope this helps!

P.S. Yes, everything takes longer than we'd like to finish. We know.

• Like 1

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:A lot of this stuff is actually in progress right now. Hopefully we'll be able to give more details soon. I'll give a somewhat vague status update on each one:

Thanks for the update. It keeps the playerbase happy. I think you already know this, but I'll say it anyway. We have REALLY big hopes for this upcoming balance patch. Please don't let us down. Also, pay attention to what professions / elite specs are "overused" during mATs... Indicator of what needs to be balanced & which professions need more representation

• Like 1

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:A lot of this stuff is actually in progress right now. Hopefully we'll be able to give more details soon. I'll give a somewhat vague status update on each one:

Big Balance Patch: First pass is basically done. Cmc is running through some last minute changes and it should start internal testing soon.

Swiss: Almost done (finally!). We ran an internal test on it right before the break and we're hoping to run some public tests in the nearish future. The last I saw of it, there were still some bugs that needed to be resolved. The extra gold for tournament wins not being distributed and some UI problems on the order of columns not lining up properly and tooltips and such. Tournaments themselves have some new bugs that we're looking into (rewards problems).

Mini-Seasons: This is giving us the ability to run alternate game mode short seasons. Code is being added to track additional rating types now! Basically, before we can do these, we need to make it so that your 2v2/3v3 skill rating is different from your conquest skill rating. In addition to that, we still need to set up rewards for them.

PvP/WvW new armorset: There is some art bugs that need fixed, but the the art is done for the most part. We're also adjusting the acquisition method. These probably won't just be tossed on the vendors like previous armors.

Large PvP map (15 on 15). The map itself has been done for a while. But we've decided to hold off on releasing it until we're able to get someone to make UI changes. Currently, the UI can't handle more than 10v10. Additionally, 10v10 UI is bad. It's just one large group rather than using the squad UI. Unfortunately, when the programmers looked into how difficult it would be to add squad functionality, it turned out the current way groups are handled in PvP makes it a difficult change. Basically, it might be easier for us to build a new solution that mimics squad functionality than to try to shoe-horn the current squad functionality into PvP.

Other stuff: There are some other things also being looked into, but since they haven't been previously talked about, I don't want to go into more detail at this time!

Well, this turned out to be a little more detailed than I planned, but that's where we stand right now. Hope this helps!

Ben, Thank you very much for responding and giving us the details we wanted/asked for.

M.V.P.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"mrauls.6519" said:

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:A lot of this stuff is actually in progress right now. Hopefully we'll be able to give more details soon. I'll give a somewhat vague status update on each one:

Thanks for the update. It keeps the playerbase happy. I think you already know this, but I'll say it anyway. We have REALLY big hopes for this upcoming balance patch. Please don't let us down. Also, pay attention to what professions / elite specs are "overused" during mATs... Indicator of what needs to be balanced & which professions need more representation

The patch is going to be .... sizable. So big that I don't think it's possible to predict everything. But the plan is to be as quick as possible with adjustments after the big one hits. Also keep in mind that it's going to be primarily splits. So there are some limits on what can be done.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:A lot of this stuff is actually in progress right now. Hopefully we'll be able to give more details soon. I'll give a somewhat vague status update on each one:

PvP/WvW new armorset: There are some art bugs that need fixed, but the the art is done for the most part. We're also adjusting the acquisition method. These probably won't just be tossed on the vendors like previous armors.

Now this is the kind of updates and communication I'm talking about! Thanks Ben!

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:A lot of this stuff is actually in progress right now. Hopefully we'll be able to give more details soon.[Things in progress]P.S. Yes, everything takes longer than we'd like to finish. We know.

That's appreciated, Thank you for the communication. Keep up the good work while we continue arguing.

@"Vicariuz.1605" said:(#PartnerVallun)

Not only does Vallun have the following and viewership that would make use of a partnership, he plays all 3 game modes, has one of the highest AP in the entire game, and would be a fun alternative caster to "the Jebro" for the NA monthly mAT. Why is arena net against rewarding players that put effort into their game?

Just want to pop in and say heck yes to expanding the partner program, and heck no to partnering this specific person. It has been shown time and time again that they are not only "un-fun" to play with, but also breaks the TOS (not cheating, but in terms of language and behavior).

Not expanding past that on the forum, but just wanted to say HECK NO.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Large PvP map (15 on 15). The map itself has been done for a while. But we've decided to hold off on releasing it until we're able to get someone to make UI changes. Currently, the UI can't handle more than 10v10. Additionally, 10v10 UI is bad. It's just one large group rather than using the squad UI. Unfortunately, when the programmers looked into how difficult it would be to add squad functionality, it turned out the current way groups are handled in PvP makes it a difficult change. Basically, it might be easier for us to build a new solution that mimics squad functionality than to try to shoe-horn the current squad functionality into PvP.

Is this 15 v 15 map for Conquest or will objectives be different in any way?

P.s. Thanks for all the work being put in and for the communication on progress. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of the labor.

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Large PvP map (15 on 15). The map itself has been done for a while. But we've decided to hold off on releasing it until we're able to get someone to make UI changes. Currently, the UI can't handle more than 10v10. Additionally, 10v10 UI is bad. It's just one large group rather than using the squad UI. Unfortunately, when the programmers looked into how difficult it would be to add squad functionality, it turned out the current way groups are handled in PvP makes it a difficult change. Basically, it might be easier for us to build a new solution that mimics squad functionality than to try to shoe-horn the current squad functionality into PvP.

If that map will be another conquest, I suggest to make 5 points to cap (to force split to at least to two groups).

Would be fun to see additional various map scenarios like:

• Huge map where warclaw + gliding can be used (height differencies on map with wide canyons and hills/towers, so gliding would be actually useful since warclaw cannot make that large jumps ;) )
  • Just warclaw w/o gliding (or "flat" map)

@Makarow.3028 said:

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Large PvP map (15 on 15). The map itself has been done for a while. But we've decided to hold off on releasing it until we're able to get someone to make UI changes. Currently, the UI can't handle more than 10v10. Additionally, 10v10 UI is bad. It's just one large group rather than using the squad UI. Unfortunately, when the programmers looked into how difficult it would be to add squad functionality, it turned out the current way groups are handled in PvP makes it a difficult change. Basically, it might be easier for us to build a new solution that mimics squad functionality than to try to shoe-horn the current squad functionality into PvP.

If that map will be another conquest, I suggest to make 5 points to cap (to force split to at least to two groups).

Would be fun to see additional various map scenarios like:
  • Huge map where warclaw + gliding can be used (height differencies on map with wide canyons and hills/towers, so gliding would be actually useful since warclaw cannot make that large jumps ;) )
  • Just warclaw w/o gliding (or "flat" map)

No offense but I really hope wvw is the only and last pvp mode to see mounts.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Large PvP map (15 on 15).

yea like others i'm wondering what this is about. I hope its not some attempt to bring wvw players into pvp cuz they never will with how restrictive pvp amulets are. now if we had a set amount of points we could pour into any and each individual stat up to 2k... also please update team deathmatch and stronghold! they could be good fun but they have too many problems.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Large PvP map (15 on 15).

yea like others i'm wondering what this is about. I hope its not some attempt to bring wvw players into pvp cuz they never will with how restrictive pvp amulets are. now if we had a set amount of points we could pour into any and each individual stat up to 2k... also please update team deathmatch and stronghold! they could be good fun but they have too many problems.

maybe that's why warclaw will get some adjustments to make it fit 15v15 mode...

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Mini-Seasons: This is giving us the ability to run alternate game mode short seasons. Code is being added to track additional rating types now! Basically, before we can do these, we need to make it so that your 2v2/3v3 skill rating is different from your conquest skill rating. In addition to that, we still need to set up rewards for them.

Please, dont give me hope. Also on the subject of 3v3, do you think the current 2v2 maps are big enough to house 3v3? It might be worth looking into taking the 2v2 maps and expanding them abit for both modes (2v2/3v3) to use the?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Large PvP map (15 on 15). The map itself has been done for a while. But we've decided to hold off on releasing it until we're able to get someone to make UI changes. Currently, the UI can't handle more than 10v10. Additionally, 10v10 UI is bad. It's just one large group rather than using the squad UI. Unfortunately, when the programmers looked into how difficult it would be to add squad functionality, it turned out the current way groups are handled in PvP makes it a difficult change. Basically, it might be easier for us to build a new solution that mimics squad functionality than to try to shoe-horn the current squad functionality into PvP.

P.s. Thanks for all the work being put in and for the communication on progress. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of the labor.

Just to be clear, we don't even have an internal target on the UI changes we feel are needed. It could still never happen. The only reason I've mentioned it is because we talked about the map/15v15 in the past so it's something already public and the map itself is done.

The map was a snow map that was just an open area for death match. We've talked about possibly doing more in-depth stuff, but the first map is going to be very simple. If it turns out that the UI changes are going to take a long while (or not get done at all) we may just release the map as 10v10 in custom arenas. Though, I'm not sure how much it would get played.

• ArenaNet Staff

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Mini-Seasons: This is giving us the ability to run alternate game mode short seasons. Code is being added to track additional rating types now! Basically, before we can do these, we need to make it so that your 2v2/3v3 skill rating is different from your conquest skill rating. In addition to that, we still need to set up rewards for them.

Please, dont give me hope. Also on the subject of 3v3, do you think the current 2v2 maps are big enough to house 3v3? It might be worth looking into taking the 2v2 maps and expanding them abit for both modes (2v2/3v3) to use the?

For 3v3, we would probably limit it to just Asura Arena. As I think it's big enough. Hallway probably isn't. Auric Span, maybe?

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Just to be clear, we don't even have an internal target on the UI changes we feel are needed. It could still never happen. The only reason I've mentioned it is because we talked about the map/15v15 in the past so it's something already public and the map itself is done.

The map was a snow map that was just an open area for death match. We've talked about possibly doing more in-depth stuff, but the first map is going to be very simple. If it turns out that the UI changes are going to take a long while (or not get done at all) we may just release the map as 10v10 in custom arenas. Though, I'm not sure how much it would get played.

If the UI is critical to the playability of the map, I suppose a public beta version wouldn't be viable.

If that ends up being an implausible undertaking, could a 15v15 version potentially work in the WvW ecosystem?

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

Just to be clear, we don't even have an internal target on the UI changes we feel are needed. It could still never happen. The only reason I've mentioned it is because we talked about the map/15v15 in the past so it's something already public and the map itself is done.

That's understandable. I know that a lot of the stuff that sounds simple in theory doesn't necessarily turn out that way in practice since making a 15v15 game isn't as simple as just changing a setting for player size. I'm glad to hear that the goal of future PvP content isn't limited to Conquest, even if the technical limitations may restrict it that way for actual releases.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

For 3v3, we would probably limit it to just Asura Arena. As I think it's big enough. Hallway probably isn't. Auric Span, maybe?

One other question: Would it ever be possible to have a deathmatch game mode without respawns? (I.e. similar to WoW arena mode)

I ask because I don't think the time limit/kill score format has worked out well, but I know that there may be technical limitations that led to this design since it's so similar to conquest.