What class fits samurai theme more between warrior and shiro revanant?

Psycoprophet.8107

hard choice; Samurais were a diciplined military force in the past, they were experts in many weapons. Based on this, conceptually the warrior the closest thing thematically to a Samurai

On the other side, now talking about gw2's version of that concept, the whole of Shiro and the story behind him is thematically inspired on orient and japanese/samurai culture, however some of their methods (magic) have never afaik been part of Samurai culture anyway.

so basically.

closest to traditional samurai: Warrior.

GW2 version of what would be a Samurai: shiro

as a side note, there is actually a GS skin that looks like a Katana (Belinda's), since revenants can't use (yet) GS, then warrior is easier to mog into a samurai looking guy

@Tora.7214 said:hard choice; Samurais were a diciplined military force in the past, they were experts in many weapons. Based on this, conceptually the warrior the closest thing thematically to a Samurai

On the other side, now talking about gw2's version of that concept, the whole of Shiro and the story behind him is thematically inspired on orient and japanese/samurai culture, however some of their methods (magic) have never afaik been part of Samurai culture anyway.

so basically.

as a side note, there is actually a GS skin that looks like a Katana (Belinda's), since revenants can't use (yet) GS, then warrior is easier to mog into a samurai looking guy

Yeah I kinda agree, was a hard call due to shiro background but I gues revs actual skills especially how magic oriented they are are kind of the opposite of samurai's fight with honor and steel schtick, the more I thought about it especially given they duel sword and staff the shiro rev has a very chinese swordsman vibe or korean warrior vibe like hwarang or somthing similar.Thanks for the response :)

@Tora.7214 said:hard choice; Samurais were a diciplined military force in the past, they were experts in many weapons. Based on this, conceptually the warrior the closest thing thematically to a Samurai

so basically.

Shiro and Cantha as a whole was culturally mixed from Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese myths and legends. Cantha itself seemed to be more an alagory to Chinese myth and movies than from Japanese. The style of their armor and weapons especially suggest this as tradition Japanese armor doesn't appear in the game and we only get something similar in Eye of the north with Dervish and even then it's far off.

Samurai Where mostly known for mounted combat which we don't see in gw2. They were similar to knight in that regard and only later got a reputation for their lone dueling.

I'd say Chinese myth and history is the big influence on Factions especially the idea of there being these 3 kingdoms in Canthan, Kurzicks and Luxons. It seems like the History of the Three Dynasties in China but its possible I'm mistaken on that. I'd need to review Canthan History again or get more information on the Dragon Emperor's rise to power.

Now to answer the question at hand. I'd say that Either of them could. Even Guardian could as well as other classes like Ranger, mesmer or even necromancer. The main thing about them in mythology is their honor and the supposed mysticism of their fighting style. But in reality the Samurai were very rarely honorable and mostly blood thirsty amd greedy. Warrior would suit the Samurai best imo but honestly it's up to you and how you personally feel about your Avatar.

Now if we're talking about the themes of a Ronin this is a bit different as Ronins are samurai without a master. Dishonored by their lord or their lord died. Or possibly abandoned them which leads to their Dishonor. Now a Revenant could easily hit into the identity of a Ronin much more easily as their general theme and attitude leads them to these sorts of ideas. But this doesn't exclude other classes of also fitting that role.

For Iconic weapons of the Samurai we do have the Katan but also the bow and spear. The bow I kinda want to focus on the bow since Samurai where known for using bows on Horseback. Which was the inspiration for why Link from the Legends of Zelda uses a bow on Horseback. Which if you've ever ridden a horse you know that keeping steady enough to swing a weapon let along shoot an arrow is quite the impressive feat. Although I doubt the bow's draw weight was very high this still would be quite impressive. It would be impossible for this to be done with an English longbow... Unless you have the strength of a gorilla...

That aside... Umm. Excuse my rant. I enjoy history... So I went off on a tangent.

I think @Tora.7214 already answered pretty well.But in my personal opinion, for a Samurai theme, I'd probably choose great sword and Longbow.You then also have the choice of spellbreaker daggers if you wanna use one offhand with a sword, instead of a shield.

I would say that revenant is closer to an Assassin/Ninja rather than samurai.Imo Shiro was a mix of both assassin and samurai.

Rev sword skills involve quickness which is more of an assassin trait.Speed and acrobatics aren't the samurais forte, due to all the heavy armour.They're fast in other ways.

Altough the staff can be reskin to look like a Pole-Axe, I think a great sword with the proper skin would get you closer to what you're looking for.

Oddly enough and i might get judged for this i think ranger would fit the Samurai theme better than both rev and warrior personally. Rangers whole weapon kit is practically perfectly themed to the tools they would have used i think.I guess warrior would a close second.

Rangers wear lighter armor though and can also use a greatsword (which i think has more technique than warrior gs in its skill design) and a bow.They also use other tools like daggers and knives and other throwable weapons (axes)

I feel like if mounted combat was a thing they would be one of the best equiped for it too.

If however i had to pick between only rev and warrior i would say warrior.

@ZDragon.3046 said:Oddly enough and i might get judged for this i think ranger would fit the Samurai theme better than both rev and warrior personally. Rangers whole weapon kit is practically perfectly themed to the tools they would have used i think.I guess warrior would a close second.

Rangers wear lighter armor though and can also use a greatsword (which i think has more technique than warrior gs in its skill design) and a bow.They also use other tools like daggers and knives and other throwable weapons (axes)

I feel like if mounted combat was a thing they would be one of the best equiped for it too.

I definitely agree a lot of rangers weapon skills could be samurai like but alot are probobly to animal themed and the medium armor would probably fit more ronin style imo. Most of rangers utility skills give a bit to much wilderness survival theme as aposed to a warrior and battle theme. Its definitely all subjective tho.Thanks for the thoughts.

@ZDragon.3046 said:Oddly enough and i might get judged for this i think ranger would fit the Samurai theme better than both rev and warrior personally. Rangers whole weapon kit is practically perfectly themed to the tools they would have used i think.I guess warrior would a close second.

Samurai did often have heavy armor but it wasn't nearly as defensive as what we saw in the west with the Knights. Japan had poor access to quality steel so medium armor would make sense for sure.

The reason Japanese blacksmiths had to fold their steel so many times was to get any amount of strength from it. Chinese and European steel was just higher quality with fewer impurities.

Now modern Japan swords and modern European swords are about the same in quality due to the wider spread access of steel and the maintaining of a standard of quality. However Japanese Katanas are typically shorter than European swords. But that all depends on the type of sword. Japan did have long swords of course but I can't recall their name.

• Confused 1

@Lily.1935 said:

Samurai did often have heavy armor but it wasn't nearly as defensive as what we saw in the west with the Knights. Japan had poor access to quality steel so medium armor would make sense for sure.

The reason Japanese blacksmiths had to fold their steel so many times was to get any amount of strength from it. Chinese and European steel was just higher quality with fewer impurities.

Now modern Japan swords and modern European swords are about the same in quality due to the wider spread access of steel and the maintaining of a standard of quality. However Japanese Katanas are typically shorter than European swords. But that all depends on the type of sword. Japan did have long swords of course but I can't recall their name.

I dont know how much stuff is true so ill just assume you have dug into this as a hobby and are correct.But what I wanted to say is that in some movies (which are often not always correct with details) The armor always looked like it was a mix between medium and heavy but maybe that was just their version of heavy armor. I honestly would not know.

While i guess rangers stylish moves and weapon kit still fit a bit more imo i guess the armor type would make warrior more fitting.

Thanks for sharing though! :+1:

@ZDragon.3046 said:

I dont know how much stuff is true so ill just assume you have dug into this as a hobby and are correct.But what I wanted to say is that in some movies (which are often not always correct with details) The armor always looked like it was a mix between medium and heavy but maybe that was just their version of heavy armor. I honestly would not know.

While i guess rangers stylish moves and weapon kit still fit a bit more imo i guess the armor type would make warrior more fitting.

Thanks for sharing though! :+1:

I'd say it was heavy armor. The Japanese armor was often much heavier than even plate armor, but it was less defensive due to the materials it was made up of. Such as bamboo. I've done a bit of research into it but not much so I could be wrong on some details. I do know that full armor was extremely expensive in Japan at the time and only the wealthiest of warriors could afford it. A lot of their armor was also fairly boxy and you only see the sleeker design we see in movies later in history. The issue with Japanese steel is that it had a lot of silicon in it which made the steel extremely brittle. The folding was to push out some of the silicon out of it to make a more pure sword, but that part isn't entirely known just how correct this is from my part.

Also, not a problem. I love history. There is a lot of really cool events that occurred. My personal favorite being the Byzantine Empire with the rise of Justinian and Theodora.