Warclaw - a thought to a rental alternative

DemonSeed.3528

I suppose if we haven't heard any input from Anet regarding warclaw rentals, that must mean they are no longer interested in entertaining that idea, but how about this instead - everyone gets a mount. Anyone including f2p players. This is how it would work.To initially get the "barebones" warclaw, you must first complete the reward track. This unlocks a base warclaw with 0 masteries, giving you only the warclaw mount itself and speed bonus. This helps ALL players regardless of expansion/etc, and also helps NEW players as all they would need to do to unlock the base for the speed bonus it provides is to just finish the reward track. Everything else still needs to be done for the masteries, however those who are f2p/core/hot do not get to unlock any masteries until they've bought pof - they are still stuck with base warclaw but it is just good enough to get them from a-b. This still provides an incentive for them to buy PoF expansion, AND these players can still spend gems to buy warclaw skins, AND it will help settle some of the issues related with the warclaw being in the territory of the "haves" and "have nots". They will still need an alternative for dismounting, and we still have not heard any word about the tricks or traps for dismounting or possibly some kind of "mobile lance" (which roots you when you shoot). You could even make these purchased only for non-pof acc's. In any case it's just something to think about.Edit: of course with this idea there would still be the issue of the collection

Gw2 is one of the cheapest mmo to date.

With it on sale only being $38 (aus) for both expansions.. And not on sale for $75 (aus)

So i guess rental is out of the question when all the game is less than a cartoon of beer.

Plus acquisition of the warclaw, my gulidies that are new to wvw get it within 1 or 2 guild runs so again very easy to get it "for keeps".

@DemonSeed.3528 said:This still provides an incentive for them to buy PoF expansionAnd so does the warclaw in and of itself, so thats all pointless.

If Anet also removes the speed mastery in the future, players on foot arent much slower than the warclaw.

I've never really seen the problem here either - 90%+ of WvW players already have the warclaw. I've seen 50+ zergs literally all mount up. And when they dont? The commander is most likely running on foot to keep cohesion of the zerg. New players are highly unlikely to stray far from EB before they get their bearings and while there its highly likely they'll want PoF for other reasons before they want the warclaw - ie the specs and the gear.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:If 90%+ of WvW players have the warclaw then it wouldn't matter if they did this, this is not for them that already have it.And by the same reasoning everyone should get HoT and PoF specs for free. Also all gear in WvW should be free. And GoB should be free as well, whats even the point having it behind a track if nearly everyone run around with legendaries. In fact, everything in WvW should just be free. I already have light/medium/heavy legendary sets, why not give me the backpack for free Anet? Please.

However this is just about the warclaw and not about elite specs, and nothing to do with the rest of what you mentioned. It's also about not frustrating current players who don't have it as well as new ones, and about retaining them and letting them enjoy the game mode at the same time. This is about an alternative to the rental idea, nothing about gobs, legendaries, or whatever fantasies you have. It's also not about people who already have the warclaw or pof, and it's about creating a more equalised environment whilst also still allowing for purchases to be made. Honestly I'd rather they allowed gliding & mount for everyone in wvw as baseline, not tied to an expac. I don't know why you'd think that everything else has to be free if the warclaw were to be used by anyone, you need more forward thinking to keep those other guys playing. This idea hurts no one and only serves to benefit.

I think a rental Warclaw would be a great idea. That idea was suggested when warclaws first came out. IIRC, Anet said they would consider it in the future. You could even make it limited or something that would encourage people to buy PoF. However, that being said, as @Dawdler.8521 mentioned, Anet is planning on addressing the movement speed

For WvW, we’re planning to address some of the problems introduced by the warclaw, namely its overall movement speed and elusiveness via evades. We’ll be removing the increased movement speed in owned territory and replacing it with a new Mastery that we’re still working out. We’ll also be reducing the warclaw’s endurance to give players more opportunities to chase it down and force a dismount.”

So, more players may go back to Guardian Staff #3 spamming and hoofing it on foot.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:If 90%+ of WvW players have the warclaw then it wouldn't matter if they did this, this is not for them that already have it.And by the same reasoning everyone should get HoT and PoF specs for free. Also all gear in WvW should be free. And GoB should be free as well, whats even the point having it behind a track if nearly everyone run around with legendaries. In fact, everything in WvW should just be free. I already have light/medium/heavy legendary sets, why not give me the backpack for free Anet? Please.

Legendaries are optional, warclaws are effectively not, though. Elite specs are more or less handed to you when you buy the expansion. But do note it was cut down to 250 from 400 for a reason.

It's not about people already in wvw; it's more of a barrier to entry than anything else.

This is simply one of the best suggestion they could take in account, the other should be to let FULL Game Owners and F2P to be able to get a warclaw in WvW and PVE since it's just a basic mount on PVE and it's NOW, with all the changes they did, mandatory to play WvW, but You know, they have time just to help gankers with a Warclaw skill that was waaaaaay more important to spoil other player than allow people to simply play and enjoy this game.

@"grouchybhaal.4275" said:Gw2 is one of the cheapest mmo to date.

With it on sale only being $38 (aus) for both expansions.. And not on sale for $75 (aus)

So i guess rental is out of the question when all the game is less than a cartoon of beer.

Plus acquisition of the warclaw, my gulidies that are new to wvw get it within 1 or 2 guild runs so again very easy to get it "for keeps".

This is not true, players with a full game and collector's edition valued 150 euro do not have any mount and any glider... they can't even use Guild hall services, this is a complete nonsense that ANET NEVER fixed

@NaramSin.2693 said:

@"grouchybhaal.4275" said:Gw2 is one of the cheapest mmo to date.

This is not true, players with a full game and collector's edition valued 150 euro do not have any mount and any glider... they can't even use Guild hall services, this is a complete nonsense that ANET NEVER fixed

Do they have the expansions? If so.. What the hell have they been doing?Glider in wvw is 3 points... Thats allAnd warclaw with and decent guild will take one or two runs (depending on the amount of time youve go... About 5 hours tops).Dont expect handouts.. Just get it done.. Its easy

As a returning player having to grind WvW to get the mount just to keep up with anyone takes all the fun out of WvW. Remove the warclaw reward track and simply give the mount after completing the capture objectives. There is no reason to punish players in an already unbalanced game mode.

@"Hexd.4796" said:As a returning player having to grind WvW to get the mount just to keep up with anyone takes all the fun out of WvW. Remove the warclaw reward track and simply give the mount after completing the capture objectives. There is no reason to punish players in an already unbalanced game mode.There is absolutely no way to "grind" for the WvW mount reward track.

A reward track is based on time played while you do actual WvW, or just standing AFK keeping up participation. Doing more or less will do no difference to the progress.

I don't know why people call this a grind, it's super easy to get. It took me about 5 or 6 hours. The grind starts after you get it if you want to level up all the mastery for it.

I do like the rental idea. I think the warclaw, should have been a rental only option for WvW. You could still personallize it, and get masteries for it but the only way to mount it would be to talk to an NPC in towers, keeps, camps.

Why not make it just cost the first point in the mastery track and then tie the abilities into rest. Make the reward track non-repeatable and offer thimbles of world xp equal to whatever the total cost of the mastery line as reward for the reward track. People get mount once they are level 1 and can work toward full movement as they do quick leveling. I have also suggested rentals in the past but this might be easier to code and have better odds of implementation.

Side note: since this is a Q1 thing we might see which way they went sooner rather than later.

@"DemonSeed.3528" said:I suppose if we haven't heard any input from Anet regarding warclaw rentals, that must mean they are no longer interested in entertaining that idea, but how about this instead - everyone gets a mount. Anyone including f2p players. This is how it would work.To initially get the "barebones" warclaw, you must first complete the reward track. This unlocks a base warclaw with 0 masteries, giving you only the warclaw mount itself and speed bonus. This helps ALL players regardless of expansion/etc, and also helps NEW players

Thank you for considering the new WvW players - I, too, try to help them whenever I see them. The mode can be extremely confusing at first.

BUT when do artists get the time to design the skin for this even crappier-looking barebones warclaw? That's the sort of thing we have to deal with - producer's pride(/vanity).