[Suggestion] Drop supply on death

Hynax.9536

If you allow players to return supply to a depots, you'd encourage zerging because great swathes of players could move tonnes of supply from T3 on one map to objectives on other maps - in doing so, you'd create SNOWBALLING again, since the side with most objectives is also the one with most total supply. Although there have been countless millions of ideas regarding Supply and number of objectives held, Arenanet doesn't seem to be interested.

@"Svarty.8019" said:If you allow players to return supply to a depots, you'd encourage zerging because great swathes of players could move tonnes of supply from T3 on one map to objectives on other maps - in doing so, you'd create SNOWBALLING again, since the side with more objectives is also the one with most total supply.

I understand the snowballing problem and this i can only leave for ANET to think on how to fix as this is a very old problem and my suggestion does not aim solving it, all i can do is get your suggestions on how to minimize this effect.Yet i don't get this " you'd encourage zerging", wvw is all about large scale fights and zergs already move supplies from a place to other while under attack.

• 3 weeks later...

@Hynax.9536 said:

@"Svarty.8019" said:If you allow players to return supply to a depots, you'd encourage zerging because great swathes of players could move tonnes of supply from T3 on one map to objectives on other maps - in doing so, you'd create SNOWBALLING again, since the side with more objectives is also the one with most total supply.

I understand the snowballing problem and this i can only leave for ANET to think on how to fix as this is a very old problem and my suggestion does not aim solving it, all i can do is get your suggestions on how to minimize this effect.Yet i don't get this " you'd encourage zerging", wvw is all about large scale fights and zergs already move supplies from a place to other while under attack.

Ah yes, "encouraging zerging" comes from an old argument that zerging should be discouraged because of several factors not least of which is server performance.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:I have to agree with dawdler on this one. There’s too much room for a snowball effect where if a dominant Zerg appears, they can siege and lay waste to someone’s base with impunity.

Resources should be scarce, not plentiful...otherwise we have no incentive to fight over anything.

But resources aren't plentiful, they are the same of always. The idea of dropping supply on death give as much supply to enemies as a keep taken when the loser team forget to use the Sabotage Depot improvement, and again the idea comes with many ways to avoid or reduce supply loss. Its just adding some spice to gameplay regarding how you manage supplies.

@Hynax.9536 said:

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:I have to agree with dawdler on this one. There’s too much room for a snowball effect where if a dominant Zerg appears, they can siege and lay waste to someone’s base with impunity.

Resources should be scarce, not plentiful...otherwise we have no incentive to fight over anything.

But resources aren't plentiful, they are the same of always. The idea of dropping supply on death give as much supply to enemies as a keep taken when the loser team forget to use the Sabotage Depot improvement, and again the idea comes with many ways to avoid or reduce supply loss. Its just adding some spice to gameplay regarding how you manage supplies.

I’d argue that they are plentiful.

Consider that it’s possible to T3 an entire base without having to leave the base. So long as you defend you can attain a fully maxed out base.

Every side has this self sustaining property. So it begs the question as to why should anyone attack anyone else, if one could just sit in their own base and just defend against attacker’s. (if all sides are just defending then there are no attackers and everyone gets T3 structures free of conflict)

The entire WvW game mode is based on a prisoners dilemma, because of the current availability of resources. That’s why SMC is such a popular place of contention, because there is only one SMC, and gaining control of this singular location gives you unique advantages over everyone else. I would argue that EBG functions successfully only because of this single location existing.

Let’s imagine if each base DIDNT contain its own set of 2 camps in EBG, and that in order to tier your base, you needed to venture into enemy territory and claim their camps. This makes the availability of resources extremely limited and provides points of contention so competitive that controlling camps become just as important as T3 keeps. As a comparison, the availability we have now in terms of resources are extremely generous.

@Hynax.9536 said:

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:I’d argue that they are plentiful.

So resources are already plentiful and i'm not generating resources from nothing, just adding ways to acquire or lose the already existing amount of supply.

I never said that you would be generating resources with your change. Your change reallocates resources, to be more accessible to enemies (without need of having to spend resources)...this makes a resource more abundant.

It'll just encourage people not to have supply on them, it's the simplest solution to not giving the enemy something to use against you, and will add more frustrations to pugmanders not having supply on hand from pugs to build anything.

Supply is suppose to be limited and forces you make choices on when and where to get it and use it, reset night is actually great because everything starts from low level, and supply is scarce, you have to scramble and be active in capping camps and moving supply to the right place for attacking defending repairing upgrading.

I'd go as far as making players lose some or all supply on death, but not handing it over to the enemy, it's an extra supply generation that isn't needed.