How do you feel about the imminent balance patch, and why?

Poelala.2830

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:It's going to be somewhat chaotic for a while. And I'm sure there will be overlooked things or unintentional problems. The number of changes is so large that all possible interactions are impossible to predict. Our goal is to be able to respond relatively quickly to issues that come up. And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

Do we have a rough ETA? preferably more specific than Q1.Thanks in advance

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:It's going to be somewhat chaotic for a while. And I'm sure there will be overlooked things or unintentional problems. The number of changes is so large that all possible interactions are impossible to predict. Our goal is to be able to respond relatively quickly to issues that come up. And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

3u8nyM0.jpg

takes breather

tcOAHJS.gif

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:It's going to be somewhat chaotic for a while. And I'm sure there will be overlooked things or unintentional problems. The number of changes is so large that all possible interactions are impossible to predict. Our goal is to be able to respond relatively quickly to issues that come up. And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

You keep talking about the size being really big but how big is it compared to a pretty normal balance pass like this?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/62731/game-update-notes-december-11-2018

@mortrialus.3062 said:

You keep talking about the size being really big but how big is it compared to a pretty normal balance pass like this?

He did say every skill and trait has been reviewed. Should give some idea about scope and size.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

He did say every skill and trait has been reviewed. Should give some idea about scope and size.

Reviewed but not necessarily changed.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

True but judging by how much everything needs to be toned down I would be surprised it no stone went unturned.

I cant say Very Hopeful, nor can I say Teeming with dread.

I have one specific request for the balance team, is that Engineer turrets get an Actual look into. An attempt to better them and make them viable. Unfortunately, since they haven't exactly been touched for a while, and the last time they've been touched has actually downgraded their use, I am neither expecting -a- result, nor a -good- result on that regard. It's Something that has been on my mind (And quite a few engineers, judging by the engineer forum) and most including myself have outright given up on that skill family.

For the rest of the classes, I'd say, a look into a certain class's ability to outright cancel any damage inflicted to it almost infinitely. Warrior is still completely broken in 1v1 if someone is using all the blocking and invulnerable skills plus stamina regen that they have available. It's plain not fun to fight against a warrior. That level of damage evasion is rivalled by thieves, but on thieves at least, that thematically makes sense. Some classes retain the ability to shirk away a ton of damage, while being able to deal a lot of damage due to not having to invest their stats into damage mitigation, and there lies one of the biggest issues within the current system. A class should not be able to access max defense, and max offense potentials at the same time. Either they're both average, and balanced, or one is stronger than the other. Both is just too much.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

He said the amount of changes will be hard to even put out on a note. Does that explain it better?

@bluri.2653 said:

He said the amount of changes will be hard to even put out on a note. Does that explain it better?

Unless they have an algorithm its going to be someones job to write a patch note dissertation...I feel for that person.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

Unless they have an algorithm its going to be someones job to write a patch note dissertation...I feel for that person.

they could make separate post for every class change in each class subforum, and add another post in pvp forum with brief summary and link to in depth posts that are in subforums.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:............And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

This is what always needed to be done. After nearly every balance drop, just to fine tune or town down some things. But I guess a big drop is what's needed to fix all these issues, and it kinda like a reset if it big enough.During the esl if there was refinement patch after the dunker meta games it may get of been exciting to watch. Like if esl was this burst meta I'd watch it.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:It's going to be somewhat chaotic for a while. And I'm sure there will be overlooked things or unintentional problems. The number of changes is so large that all possible interactions are impossible to predict. Our goal is to be able to respond relatively quickly to issues that come up. And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

will the balance patch come out in january 2020? (i hope it will :p )

"There's a what?" is not quite my reaction but it's the closest. I'm actually more like "meh..." Been playing the game for 25 months now and most of the "balance" updates in that time seemed trivial to me. Looking back over my time here there's only two such updates that really stick out in my memory. One was the time they nerfed the scrapper so badly that I stopped playing that class, switching to holo instead. The other is the time they enabled the rev's Vengeful Hammers to work underwater. That's the one "balance" change I really loved as it helped my main, a rev, significantly. All the other "balance" updates over the past couple of years were so "meh..." to me that none stick out in my mind. No wait, there's two others I recall. The change to the sigil/rune system is probably the single one I hated the most. The introduction of the build templates was probably the most over-hyped one I remember. Since they were introduced I've barely used the templates and they've had no significant impact on my game play except to convince me that legendaries weren't worth the bother. All in all, my best hope for this coming update is that it is so bland that I don't notice it.

Press X to Doubt

There are so fundamentally broken issues with the classes and gear right now I'll be blown away if the changes do much more than shuffle around what's OP.I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I've really experienced great PvP/WvW gameplay since the patch before before HoT.

Honestly, monthly changes to the meta would probably keep PVP fresh for me nearly indefinitely. Doesn't matter what the meta is, i'll find something i like. I have my pet classes, but i've moved off them after balance changes before and i can do so again.

@bluri.2653 said:

How is writing patch notes hard? You just type them. If I was typing patch notes instead of my own post I'd be doing it right now. Think about that.

Dunno man. You guys are hyping this thing, but did not give us any info to indicate how is this patch any big. This rarely ends up well.