What's going on with the skill lag as of late?

Vegeta.2563

Last thing I heard a few months back they were checking into the cause of server lag issues in WvW. My guess is the Amazon servers used to run WvW can't handle the amount of skills being used at the same time because of low CPU performance? I mean if this were the case wouldn't the next logical step be just to get better servers to handle it better?

I mean who knows maybe it's a coding issue that isn't handling skill spam properly.

Still would be nice to know from an official source if they are doing something on this matter.

Tonight for me was especially bad, I was even getting 5 second skill lag when only doing a 30 v 30 fight. This was during NA t1.

@"Vegeta.2563" said:Last thing I heard a few months back they were checking into the cause of server lag issues in WvW. My guess is the Amazon servers used to run WvW can't handle the amount of skills being used at the same time because of low CPU performance? I mean if this were the case wouldn't the next logical step be just to get better servers to handle it better?

I mean who knows maybe it's a coding issue that isn't handling skill spam properly.

Still would be nice to know from an official source if they are doing something on this matter.

Tonight for me was especially bad, I was even getting 5 second skill lag when only doing a 30 v 30 fight. This was during NA t1.

During one of the "devs play wvw" this was brought up (November I think). Their reply was basically "there's nothing we can do, this is as good as it's gonna get". They said if they find a skill in particular that can be tweeked some to improve it they can try, but that basically the game is what it is. Lag is now just a feature.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@"Vegeta.2563" said:Last thing I heard a few months back they were checking into the cause of server lag issues in WvW. My guess is the Amazon servers used to run WvW can't handle the amount of skills being used at the same time because of low CPU performance? I mean if this were the case wouldn't the next logical step be just to get better servers to handle it better?

During one of the "devs play wvw" this was brought up (November I think). Their reply was basically "there's nothing we can do, this is as good as it's gonna get". They said if they find a skill in particular that can be tweeked some to improve it they can try, but that basically the game is what it is. Lag is now just a feature.

Lag is now a feature. Good name guild

@"Ubi.4136" said:During one of the "devs play wvw" this was brought up (November I think). Their reply was basically "there's nothing we can do, this is as good as it's gonna get". They said if they find a skill in particular that can be tweeked some to improve it they can try, but that basically the game is what it is. Lag is now just a feature.

even then, the lag is getting worse. used to be just skill lag now even players rubberbanding around. theyre cheaping out on servers or something

@Ubi.4136 said:

Well, they could stop adding unnecessary garbage like gliders and mounts, or they could stop adding skill animations that look like supernovas, or maybe they could fix their spaghetti code that prevents the game from getting anywhere near a decent frame rate even on a top-end gaming computer.

Edit: also add the air strike and cooling mist tactivators to the list of garbage they have added which adversely affects performance.

@Vegeta.2563 said:Last thing I heard a few months back they were checking into the cause of server lag issues in WvW. My guess is the Amazon servers used to run WvW can't handle the amount of skills being used at the same time because of low CPU performance? I mean if this were the case wouldn't the next logical step be just to get better servers to handle it better?

Or get a better CPU or ISP.

Guess they want everyone to stop playing WvW enough lag will drive people out then they wont have to deliver on thier promise of Alliances ,the game was broken on purpose (conspiracy theory) . my lag is around around 230- 250 ocx which is ok but when it shoots up to 4500 meh 7 years they have sexy fingers everything they touch they umm you know

@Ubi.4136 said:

that just means that they don't have the programmers skilled enough to touch the code mess.

@Ubi.4136 said:

Excuses is all i hear from these devs at anet. Don't expect much from these guys.

Amazon has some of the best servers around with some of the highest bandwidth connections, the server model can also scale with load across many physical servers. Some of the largest games, including fortnight at it's peek with 100 times the number of active players of GW2 and they have minimal issues. The problem is like any hosting service that scales, you have to be willing to PAY for the extra compute time, many times a client will set a cap on this for cost reasons. And WvW is and has been one of the things they seem allergic to investing into.

The other main issue comes down to back end coding and how it handles the actual number crunching of combat, which is of very old design and is a modified back end and game engine of GW1. There is only so much you can do to shoehorn in a larger game with more people and open world aspects from a back end that was designed with instanced content of the older game in mind. However, they already had the engine, so it didn't cost them anything other than the modification to get everything "working" with GW2, so they didn't have to do a ground up engine and didn't have to pay a licensing fee to a 3rd party engine.

I'm much more interested in these client crashes that we recently had.At weekend we had some amazing fights, but several times, the client crashes for half our zerg.

And there's the typical message, that it could be caused by add-ons. The most common add-on is arc dps. But not all of the crashed people had arc installed. Also some who had it installed didn't crash. And the crash happens for all people on our server at the same time.

It's really annoying if you attack or defend something, and suddenly half your Zerg isn't there anymore and the enemy can just roll over you because of sheer numbers