I have a Ranger question.

Wuna.7809

I'm new to GW2 and am around level eight. Do Rangers have to use magic and only certain pets or can I go through the game without magic? I'm guessing Rangers need two land pets and two aquatic pets? I'd like to just use a Norn Raven pet but I'm guessing that is not going to be viable. Sometimes I find I want a pet when I'm leveling my Warrior. I'm not intending this to be a "I want my Ranger to be a Warrior post." Thank you for any information.

@"Wuna.7809" said:I'm new to GW2 and am around level eight. Do Rangers have to use magic and only certain pets or can I go through the game without magic? I'm guessing Rangers need two land pets and two aquatic pets? I'd like to just use a Norn Raven pet but I'm guessing that is not going to be viable. Sometimes I find I want a pet when I'm leveling my Warrior. I'm not intending this to be a "I want my Ranger to be a Warrior post." Thank you for any information.

Welcome to Tyria, fellow ranger!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by using magic. You're still quite low in level at the moment. As you progress, more utility skills (7-10 on the bar) will become available. Your ranger can use Shouts to help him/herself and allies, or set traps to hamper his/her foes. True, some other utilities seem more "magical" (like summoning spirits or using signets) but I would advise you to try some of them out anyway as they might have more synergy with whatever overall concept you are trying with your character. Remember, pretty much any build works in open world PvE, so experiment and see what works best for you.

I am an extremely casual player and I main a ranger (soulbeast actually). My build is far from optimal, but I enjoy what my character does so I'm happy with it.

As for pets, there are a LOT of them in GW2. They typically fall into certain "families" or types of pets (see the wiki link provided in the post above mine). Again, I advise trying different things out with different pets. You just might find that something works better for you than the raven; then again, maybe not but you won't know until you try.

Once you get the ability to swap weapon sets, you can have one set for ranged (long bow perhaps) and another for melee (sword/dagger maybe) which might help your ranger feel a bit more "warrior"-like. There are other weapon combinations that might suit you better -- again, experiment! Scroll through this subforum and see how other rangers have their builds and ask questions. We're usually pretty good at helping out, either here on the forums or in-game.

• 1 year later...

@Wuna.7809 said:Thank you everyone.

I know you have the main answers answered.

But if you have the expansions you can Trai elite specializations which enables you to do new stuff.

Druid is more control and magic based.Soulbeast let's you fuse with your pet and you gain access to new skills.

Birds are especially nice for this because you gain access to a lot of mobility and raven is especially nice for mobbing.

If you need open world builds you can make a threat and look some up at metabattle.Com

You don't have to follow them to a T but they are nice guidelines for beginners.