Light /Medium /Heavy in Wvw 13% dmg reduction matter!

Skorpion.4850

It's pointed elsewhere (pvp forum), what's t the difference in armor class if everyone has the same power output beyond the logic of glass cannon.

When you are commanding as a light class and you are the " head of the turtle", that 13% could make the difference between your party heals and your enemies damage.

I'm not asking to lower the damage of heavy class since the Big Numbers meta but I'm demanding at least to have same treatment damage reduction wise

@"Skorpion.4850" said:When you are commanding as a light class and you are the " head of the turtle", that 13% could make the difference between your party heals and your enemies damage.

The only reason why it is unfeasible to lead on a light class (and medium class) is:

• Firebrand has all the stability in the world. Not leading on one currently puts you and your squad at a significant disadvantage.

Gone are the times where you would lead on warrior, mesmer or elementalist. Stability is the game and only guardian has access to it reasonably. That is absolutely hitpoint or armor unrelated.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Skorpion.4850" said:When you are commanding as a light class and you are the " head of the turtle", that 13% could make the difference between your party heals and your enemies damage.

The only reason why it is unfeasible to lead on a light class (and medium class) is:
  • Firebrand has all the stability in the world. Not leading on one currently puts you and your squad at a significant disadvantage.

Gone are the times where you would lead on warrior, mesmer or elementalist. Stability is the game and only guardian has access to it reasonably. That is absolutely hitpoint or armor unrelated.

Honestly you can lead on any class, so long as you aren’t insta cappo’d because your Zerg depends on you just being alive. I’ve seen mesmers and necros lead zergs

@Cyninja.2954 said:Gone are the times where you would lead on warrior, mesmer or elementalist. Stability is the game and only guardian has access to it reasonably. That is absolutely hitpoint or armor unrelated.

I enjoyed much more the mesmer leading with portal teleport inside enemy blob then the boring firebrand route ones.

And since I play to enjoy I usually lead on tempest minstrel and again:

@Dawdler.8521 said:PvP doesnt have anywhere near the defensive stats of WvW .

the enemy aren't anywhere near the number of 5 that you use to front in pvp. 13% more damage reduction really matter when you push against 15+people. You will be focused covering your squad for X time before you blow them or be blown up.

If you like infinite kiting, even when you can push and survive, where you play just to not die and be good killing enemy one by one rather than great fun in crowds then anyone should ask why does he play?My answer is emotions. The time where the game stops to give me emotions, is a dead game for me.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Honestly you can lead on any class, so long as you aren’t insta cappo’d because your Zerg depends on you just being alive. I’ve seen mesmers and necros lead zergs

I have too, but it's not ideal and it puts you at risk of being ping ponged with crowd control effects.

Imagine this: what is worse?

• The chance of being 1 shot or downed (which is slightly lower on high armor classes by factor of 13% damage reduction)
  • or getting immobed/knocked-back/feared/slowed/etc. via crowd control effect which to great extent only 1 class (or rather effect) can counter properly: stability.

As far as survival, elementalists have a ton of survival options and abilities which would make them tanky enough to rival almost warriors. TTK is not that big an issue compared to access to stability and is still compensated by a lot of class abilities, especially when commanding and being able to run a personal setup.

If you are wearing a stat set with toughness then the Gap in % damage reduction between armor class weights will approach zero with the more armor rating you get. I would presume it's more about build and play skill above 3k armor regarding zerg survivability.

Armor classes only truly matter for glass cannons.

@"Skorpion.4850" said:It's pointed elsewhere (pvp forum), what's t the difference in armor class if everyone has the same power output beyond the logic of glass cannon.

When you are commanding as a light class and you are the " head of the turtle", that 13% could make the difference between your party heals and your enemies damage.

I'm not asking to lower the damage of heavy class since the Big Numbers meta but I'm demanding at least to have same treatment damage reduction wise

If that's going to happen, can we also look at the HP pools for the different classes, too please? I mean, why are warriors HEAVILY armoured, with MAX health AND potential for high DPS, while guardian is LOW health?

I bet everybody forgot that was a thing. /sigh

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Someone should let all the mesmer commanders know it is "unfeasible" to lead on mesmer...

@Zikory.6871 said:

Someone should let all the mesmer commanders know it is "unfeasible" to lead on mesmer...

I've been exceptionally active the last 3/4 year in WvW. Made close and even above 2k WvW ranks in less than a year. I have not seen a single mesmer commander, neither on my servers side, nor the opponent servers.

So all those mesmer commanders you are talking about, I haven't seen them. Not even during off hours or unserious matchups, definitely not during prime time or with known commanders.

What I have seen is firebrands. Both in open public zergs, closed public zergs with required voice, internal guild raids and GvG.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I've been exceptionally active the last 3/4 year in WvW. Made close and even above 2k WvW ranks in less than a year. I have not seen a single mesmer commander, neither on my servers side, nor the opponent servers.

So all those mesmer commanders you are talking about, I haven't seen them. Not even during off hours or unserious matchups, definitely not during prime time or with known commanders.

What I have seen is firebrands. Both in open public zergs, closed public zergs with required voice, internal guild raids and GvG.

Can't speak to EU but FA BG TC JQ BP all had drivers that used mesmer. Firebrand is strong and a fine driving class but to say other classes can't because of the armor is nonsense.

@Zikory.6871 said:

Can't speak to EU but FA BG TC JQ BP all had drivers that used mesmer. Firebrand is strong and a fine driving class but to say other classes can't because of the armor is nonsense.

Then re-read what I wrote since since I never 1nce mentioned armor as main reason for guardians seeing the most play (hence disageeing that the differenc between light and heavy is a main issue).

I might have mentioned the access to stability though which has becomes both increasingly necessary as well as heavily stacked on guardian.

Yes, I too remember the times where warriors, elementalists or mesmers would lead in WvW. That was mostly pre PoF though.

Edit: mixed up HoT and PoF (went into more detail but cut it short) fixed

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Then re-read what I wrote since since I never 1nce mentioned armor as main reason for guardians seeing the most play (hence disageeing that the differenc between light and heavy is a main issue).

I might have mentioned the access to stability though which has becomes both increasingly necessary as well as heavily stacked on guardian.

Yes, I too remember the times where warriors, elementalists or mesmers would lead in WvW. That was mostly pre HoT though.

"The only reason why it is unfeasible to lead on a light class (and medium class) is:"

What am I miss reading?

I think those numbers / calculations are incorrect. It's not 13%, but more like 6,5% extra dmg reduction from Light to Heavy (from the raw armor defense stat). [been years since i looked over the calc for that, so perhaps i'm wrong. But the wiki wasnt always correctly updated either, and even sometimes wrong].

But those gaps decreases when you increase more points into defense / toughness above the standard values. DMG reduction efficiency requires more points the higher it is to keep yielding another "+1% direct dmg reduction". And after a while u prolly noticed u dont even feel any difference with an extra 100 armor anymore.

Also, lighter armor classes usually have other features to compensate their lower defensive armor type. In PvE & WvW where you can mix & match attributes alot more, every single class can be a decent tank in raw defensive armor attributes. We even had elementalists / tempest commanders on BG without much hassle. Good commanders puts themselves in a subparty with the needed/fav support classes to aid him survive :) (that alone usually does the trick.. but depends on wut u have to work with ofc).

@"Skorpion.4850" said:It's pointed elsewhere (pvp forum), what's t the difference in armor class if everyone has the same power output beyond the logic of glass cannon.

Just from a pure dps perspective, you have figured out something that Anet hasn't yet. The problem they ran into, was they half-assed removed the trinity, but left armor weights in the game. There really isn't a way for them to fix it at this point. Soo many things are broken that just can't be balanced anymore.

I've seen Mesmers lead rarely on EU over the years, i've seen more Necro Commanders over the same years and the odd Engi Commander since they become heal/cleanse bots.

The lack of access to Stability argument is pretty dire since every class has access to Stability (or 2) in some form/trait/skill and the lack of usually comes from not having enough Firebrands or Guardians for that matter since they've always been the backbone of zergs along with Necros since launch.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Mesmer commanders are still very common to this day. I still lead on elementalist and do fine. One of the best commanders I know leads on a necro and does fine.

Just because firebrand is great for stability doesn't mean that the commander needs to be a firebrand, go get a guildie to play firebrand.

@Zikory.6871 said:

Yes, I too remember the times where warriors, elementalists or mesmers would lead in WvW. That was mostly pre HoT though.

"The only reason why it is unfeasible to lead on a light class (and medium class) is:"

What am I miss reading?

The part after the two dots....

Here:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Firebrand has all the stability in the world. Not leading on one currently puts you and your squad at a significant disadvantage

If you had read all of that in context, you would have deduced that I disagree that armor is a main factor, which is the topic at hand, and rather think that stability and class abilities are a far more significant issue.

@"hugeboss.5432" said:I think those numbers / calculations are incorrect. It's not 13%, but more like 6,5% extra dmg reduction from Light to Heavy (from the raw armor defense stat). [been years since i looked over the calc for that, so perhaps i'm wrong. But the wiki wasnt always correctly updated either, and even sometimes wrong].

.. Copying and past what it s calculated in pvp forum thread..

If we assume a maximum power from amulett: 1,200 (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Build)If we assume average weapon strength of 900 (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon_Strength)If we assume a weapon damage coefficient of 1.0If we use the given formula for power damage:Damage done = (Weapon strength) Power (skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage

If we use the exotic defense values for each weight provided on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor

The results are as follows against a target with base 1,000 toughness:Light armor is hit for 549Medium armor is hit for 509Heavy armor is hit for 475

Which constitutes a damage difference of around 13% between light and heavy armor. That is only against power, maximum glasscanon versus classcanon and without taking into account any class abilities which might allow more offensive or defensive setups in stats.

Idk, Personally I run my minstrel mirage as a tag and have been doing it for over a year now... Iam on NSP and I have a lot more control of my zerg than ever as a FB. Also, Iam a lot more tankier on my Mesmer than my FB ever was. The amount of mitigation you have is insane for a minstrel mirage. Armor class doesn’t matter anymore if your a skilled player vs. a FB just clicking skills on engage blindly.

You can run anything as a tag, but preferably you should run a dps/cc class. If you're at the front of the group and your healing/boon skills are mostly forwards facing (heal firebrand, scrapper) then you aren't helping the group at all. Whereas if you're a dps class (dps fb, dps scrapper, spb, chrono, reaper, etc) you can generate downs or CC so your group always has people to run over and generate rallies.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:You can run anything as a tag, but preferably you should run a dps/cc class. If you're at the front of the group and your healing/boon skills are mostly forwards facing (heal firebrand, scrapper) then you aren't helping the group at all. Whereas if you're a dps class (dps fb, dps scrapper, spb, chrono, reaper, etc) you can generate downs or CC so your group always has people to run over and generate rallies.

Your duty first and foremost as comm is surviving and directing your squad. There is a reason why no commander runs full zerker for long (let's not even consider scum tactics like commander focus which happens seldom enough on EU).

Firebrand excells at personal cooldowns in areas of reflect, aegis, stability, resistance and stability as well as condi cleanse. More than half his skills are area effects and not necessary forward facing, that's only the mantras and even there, the elite stunbreak is invaluable. Unless you have your personal firebrand for your commander group, which would still be even stronger as double firebrand. Your personal damage or cc of a single person means sqwat in a 50 people squad (and is even more hilarious when running minstrel).

If you have to rely on the commanders cc or damage, your squad is trash and/or you have literally 0 wvw guild players. Which is the equivalent of of comparing open world pve content to fractal CMs. Sure, you can play anything you want, at some point though you need to have at least some people who know what their job is.

Mesmer/mirage/chrono commanders sacrifice a ton of utility skills in favor of more personal invul (way less with the changed F4 on chrono) with access to some utility skills (veil/portal) which are only needed on 1-2 members in squad. More doable now that scourge has lost its 10 player cap, still less than ideal unless you get focused very hard (again, absolute scum tactic) and have a reliable backup support fb player.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:You can run anything as a tag, but preferably you should run a dps/cc class. If you're at the front of the group and your healing/boon skills are mostly forwards facing (heal firebrand, scrapper) then you aren't helping the group at all. Whereas if you're a dps class (dps fb, dps scrapper, spb, chrono, reaper, etc) you can generate downs or CC so your group always has people to run over and generate rallies.

Your duty first and foremost as comm is surviving and directing your squad. There is a reason why no commander runs full zerker for long (let's not even consider scum tactics like commander focus which happens seldom enough on EU).

Firebrand excells at personal cooldowns in areas of reflect, aegis, stability, resistance and stability as well as condi cleanse. More than half his skills are area effects and not necessary forward facing, that's only the mantras and even there, the elite stunbreak is invaluable. Unless you have your personal firebrand for your commander group, which would still be even stronger as double firebrand. Your personal damage or cc of a single person means sqwat in a 50 people squad (and is even more hilarious when running minstrel).

If you have to rely on the commanders cc or damage, your squad is trash and/or you have literally 0 wvw guild players. Which is the equivalent of of comparing open world pve content to fractal CMs. Sure, you can play anything you want, at some point though you need to have at least some people who know what their job is.

Mesmer/mirage/chrono commanders sacrifice a ton of utility skills in favor of more personal invul (way less with the changed F4 on chrono) with access to some utility skills (veil/portal) which are only needed on 1-2 members in squad. More doable now that scourge has lost its 10 player cap, still less than ideal unless you get focused very hard (again, absolute scum tactic) and have a reliable backup support fb player.

You can very comfortably drive with a zerker spb, if you're dying on one it's a l2p issue =/. If anything it's easier to drive on zerker than play one in the group since most of the healing and boons are directed at you if you're tagged.

cleanse mantra provides most of your condi clear while both shield and heal mantra are forward facing aegis applications. the pbaoe radius on the mantras is pretty small, so unless your group is right on top of you at all times (which they wont be, since you move and they follow) then you're not applying half of your kit to your subgroup.

Driving on a mes means you always have veil, portal, focus pull, shield stun, stab, and several invulns available whenever you want them. Driving on a spb means you will always have a bubble and CC where and when you want it, along with personal invulns out the ass so your group is never without a tag.