How do you feel about the imminent balance patch, and why?

Poelala.2830

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Zenix.6198" said:Considering the last "balance update" addressed 63 "objects" (splits and general profession changes combined). This is massive.We looking at a "10 in 1" balance special here.

It's more like 1 in 10 case then 10 in 1.1 grand changes for the sake of changes patch that'd occur every 10 years.

I forgot to mention why I am so excited about this new balance patch. I am an elementalist main that has been playing for four years and witnessed the years upon years of elementalist being an unplayable, sub-meta class and have it excell to not just popularity, but meta-defining power for the first time since before I ever installed. I saw how common sense changes like rampage nerfs defined GW2 balance since the cmc take over. This new track record is so promising to me and the emphasis on the size and scope of the patch makes me hope the game will be a much healthier environment. I am hoping to see elementalist have more than 4 useful core utility skills.

First off, I'm extremely disappointed in this poll in its limited in choice. I don't feel any of the above, what I do feel is intrigued and skeptical. News of this pvp patch actually piqued my interest enough to post on these forums again, at the very least. However, I quit spvp back in Aug 2019 and I'm not looking back until I see that you all are serious about this.

It's a result of countless people crying on the forums about losing to other players or being ineffective in PvE based on their lack of understanding and/or skill sooooo enjoy the fruits of their labor. Don't believe me? Open the PvP forums. 9 out of 10 posts are asking for nerfs, it's pathetic and exclusive to North American millenials.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Typing up the notes itself isn't the problem. For the splits alone, the list is finished. We're discussing how to present the notes a digestible way and in a way that makes it easier on us to follow feedback conversations.

Just slap me with a mondo sized pastebin dump. I want to print it out, sit down by the fireplace and read it next to the fire.

Slap me with a pastebin dump too. (I'll even put my opinions aside and break it up in a way that's digestible and neutral.)

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:It's going to be somewhat chaotic for a while. And I'm sure there will be overlooked things or unintentional problems. The number of changes is so large that all possible interactions are impossible to predict. Our goal is to be able to respond relatively quickly to issues that come up. And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

You keep talking about the size being really big but how big is it compared to a pretty normal balance pass like this?

He did say every skill and trait has been reviewed. Should give some idea about scope and size.

Reviewed but not necessarily changed.

He said the amount of changes will be hard to even put out on a note. Does that explain it better?

How is writing patch notes hard? You just type them. If I was typing patch notes instead of my own post I'd be doing it right now. Think about that.

Typing up the notes itself isn't the problem. For the splits alone, the list is finished. We're discussing how to present the notes a digestible way and in a way that makes it easier on us to follow feedback conversations.

my suggestion is to make post on each class subforum about each class changes, and big post in PvP forum that will have links to each post in said forums.that way it will be much easier to follow up on who said what and who whines about what and how badly they need to be ignored lol

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:It's going to be somewhat chaotic for a while. And I'm sure there will be overlooked things or unintentional problems. The number of changes is so large that all possible interactions are impossible to predict. Our goal is to be able to respond relatively quickly to issues that come up. And there will probably need to be a decent size follow-up release to continue to refine. Balance is a long term commitment, not a one release solution.

Dunno man. You guys are hyping this thing, but did not give us any info to indicate how is this patch any big. This rarely ends up well.

Cmc mentioned on the WvW stream today. 800-900 objects have been changed so far. Just with the splits.

Whoa! This is going to be the start of something awesome! Can't wait!

@JTGuevara.9018 said:First off, I'm extremely disappointed in this poll in its limited in choice. I don't feel any of the above, what I do feel is intrigued and skeptical. News of this pvp patch actually piqued my interest enough to post on these forums again, at the very least. However, I quit spvp back in Aug 2019 and I'm not looking back until I see that you all are serious about this.

My original intent was to have only the two options but I chose the third for all why don’t feel included.

It's a result of countless people crying on the forums about losing to other players or being ineffective in PvE based on their lack of understanding and/or skill sooooo enjoy the fruits of their labor. Don't believe me? Open the PvP forums. 9 out of 10 posts are asking for nerfs, it's pathetic and exclusive to North American millenials.

The purpose of a business is to make money and science proves people are more likely to repeat profitable behavior, so understanding this making customers happiest is the primary goal. If everyone wanted all utility skills to be gone the smart thing for an*t to do is to delete all utility skills.

The volume of changes they hint at is the OPPOSITE of what they need to be doing and what they said they were going to do. There is no way in H*LL they are going to make sensible balancing changes if the number of change they imply are accurate. You can already see the excuse that it's going to be pretty unpredictable in the messaging.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:If its large and it's already accepted that not everything can be caught etc all the more reason to release the patch notes so the players can assist in seeing any issues that may arise which can be fixed sooner due to such things. That's a whole lot of fresh eyes lol.

something like this should have been publicly tested first,

I dread it because I don't know how you can have the current state of PvP...

1. Bleeding its changes into PvE. I'm still upset Tool Belt skills for Holosmith are disabled upon overheat in purely PvE environments (I suppose it was fine to not make that the case in WvW, too, but come ON! In PvE? As if Raids weren't hard enough to do with randoms? I'm sure people who player other classes can relate on skills that were nerfed in PvE in addition to PvP, when PvP changes were the only changes potentially warranted.
  2. Persisting with numerous bugs that are EASILY replicated are still in the game that affect PvP MONTHS after I've reported them either via forum post or via direct ticket. I see that we STILL have not had Disengage Photon Forge's bug where the timer to disengage increases by 1 second, sometimes TWICE IN A ROW IN COMBAT - fixed. And that's for PvE as well.
  3. Persisting with a nerf philosophy that the way to nerf an elite specialization is to nerf the ENTIRE class, and not JUST the elite spec. Or to nerf a sigil because one build is a problem. Nerf the build, not the entire set of potential builds people can have.
  4. Persisting with the presence of at least 8 builds that have few counterplay options; Symbol Firebrand, Pistol Whip Thief, Permadodge Daredevil, Knockback Scrapper, Longbow/Greatsword Sic Em Soulbeast, One Shot Core Mesmer, One shot Core ele, Fire weaver. And then some other composition synergies which are just too much to deal with in the current meta, such as double heralds - so much CC, so much evade, it's becoming hard to have fun in PvP and that all got through whatever non-existent balance testing that was done.
  5. Persistent bugs that torment anyone who participates in Automated Tournaments regularly. Where players receive no QP, no PvP reward potions, no gold, and no mystic coins, and where support says they can't do anything to help, even though they can check logs on all of those things to verify, probably because management tells them they cannot. I seriously want unranked, ranked, and automated rewards chests for pvp to DOUBLE their gold payouts, partially to compensate for this issue and in general to encourage more people into PvP.

So yes, I dread the upcoming balance changes because I have no faith in whoever's making the balance decisions.

I'm expecting things to be chaotic, as major balance overhauls inevitably have to be. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

However, having a new meta tends to raise player interest even if a few things are broken in the short term, because there's something new to learn and adapt to. I think balance is commonly viewed as a process of refinement toward a perfect state, but a number of games in the RPG genre actually do quite well by shaking things up every few months, just because that provides good content for their theory-crafting players.