Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

Note: The performance settings of my PC for both the CPU and GPU are still automated by the system. I still haven't figured out how to set them manually on performance mode, that may add to the performance.

as root:echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

for cpu

for gpu install radeon-profile, run the daemon, set your card up any way you want

Thank you!For the CPU I tried the line you provided and it didn't work, I got > bash: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu/cpufreq/scaling_governor: ambiguous redirectI googled it a bit and found this line which worked like a charm:echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu/cpufreq/scaling_governorI had the radeon-profile installed, but I was missing the daemon, and totally forgot to set it up. got it up and running ^^.

Now while the max fps is not much higher, I noticed the gameplay in general is smoother! Cheers

@"04D95143-7F7C-4289-8567-88D4F26CEEF9.2615" said:@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" I need to speak with you when you have time to rework a little the project have see many compatibility errors.If you have time to speak with me have a possible solutions for help the project.Discord : https://discord.gg/dE9yn78Riot : https://riot.im/app/#/room/#linuxosfr:matrix.org

Hey, just dropping by to say thanks for the message, I'm currently a bit stuck with work and all the new year stuff but will get in touch at some point :)

@Barabeam.4638 said:

Note: The performance settings of my PC for both the CPU and GPU are still automated by the system. I still haven't figured out how to set them manually on performance mode, that may add to the performance.

as root:echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

for cpu

for gpu install radeon-profile, run the daemon, set your card up any way you want

Thank you!For the CPU I tried the line you provided and it didn't work, I got > bash: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor: ambiguous redirectI googled it a bit and found this line which worked like a charm:

I am not using bash, that might have been the reason ;)

echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I had the radeon-profile installed, but I was missing the daemon, and totally forgot to set it up. got it up and running ^^.

Now while the max fps is not much higher, I noticed the gameplay in general is smoother! Cheers

btw, if you put your card into performance/high mode: some firmwares don't spin up the fans aggressive enough. If you see sudden every-odd-second stutter, set your own, more aggressive fan profile and run that.

for cpu

Thank you!For the CPU I tried the line you provided and it didn't work, I got > bash: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor: ambiguous redirectI googled it a bit and found this line which worked like a charm:

I am not using bash, that might have been the reason ;)
echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I had the radeon-profile installed, but I was missing the daemon, and totally forgot to set it up. got it up and running ^^.

btw, if you put your card into performance/high mode: some firmwares don't spin up the fans aggressive enough. If you see sudden every-odd-second stutter, set your own, more aggressive fan profile and run that.

Thanks for the heads up, I tried adjusting the fan curves and I noticed the gameplay smoother indeed. I guess I will log temperatures and compare the default mode with what I have made to get hints at what temp. I am likely to get stutters to optimize my curve. if all goes well, I will learn how to write a simple script that activates the cpu line, launch radeon-profile, then launch gw2. not sure if that is possible, but will google my way through it and keep you posted as it may help others save time :+1:

@draconicrose.6213 said:With Wintersday here and orphan routes to follow, any news on getting TaCo to work on Linux, @ArmoredVehicle.2849?

Hello again @ArmoredVehicle.2849 hope you had a good holiday season! I was wondering if now you might have the time to look into TaCo? I have tried stuff myself, but I honestly can't get it to show up over the game and I'm very much out of my depth with it. Sorry to keep bothering you but it's the ONLY thing that makes me miss Windows.

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" .

Someone at the reddit wants to contact you (something with some script he does not want to go to waste or something). The person has no game account (can't type here) so maybe you can reply in his reddit post?

https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ejys5m/request_for_help_with_reaching_out_to_the_linux/

I have no reddit account so I can't tell the OP there I forwarded his reddit post directly to you. Maybe Caolanmactire (the OP) sees this here as he can read the forum. This is the reason I didn't do it in a straight PM to you ;)

@Aaralyna.3104 said:@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" .

Someone at the reddit wants to contact you (something with some script he does not want to go to waste or something). The person has no game account (can't type here) so maybe you can reply in his reddit post?

https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ejys5m/request_for_help_with_reaching_out_to_the_linux/

I have no reddit account so I can't tell the OP there I forwarded his reddit post directly to you. Maybe Caolanmactire (the OP) sees this here as he can read the forum. This is the reason I didn't do it in a straight PM to you ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I inspected his scripts. Will test them out and include them in the next release :)

Sorry for not being very active lately. I'm still checking the thread regularly though.

I've been probing around with the available cpu schedulers a bit and the difference of running around in Amnoon is quite big(12 Core Ryzen 3900X with Navi on 4K)

on both FSync and ESync:
Default CFS:35-55 FPS
Zen Patched CFS:40-65 FPS
PDS:30-55 FPS
~~ ~~MuQSS and BMQ don't seem to like FSync
MuQSS ESync:30-45 FPS
MuQSS FSync:15-35 FPS
BMQ Esync:35-55 FPS
BMQ Fsync:30-45 FPS

~~ ~~
But for BMQ limiting GW2 to 6 cores with taskset -c 0-5 does bring it to 40-60 FPS.

GPU was forced to high for this test (2GHz shader clock), but a short test againt auto (1.3 to 1.8 GHz shader clock) showed no difference in fps.cpufreq set to performance

~~ ~~
So at least for an high core Ryzen with AMD GPU the -zen kernels with patched CFS scheduler seem to be the best choice for Guild Wars 2

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:I've updated the packages to v1.9.2.

Changelog:

• Updated DXVK to 1.5.1 (D9VK is now part of DXVK)
  • Replaced the setup and launch scripts with improved ones thanks to the work of reddit user ‘caolanmactire’. (thank you).

@liberodark: My apologies for not contacting you yet, will try to find some time next week hopefully.

I will take a look at any changes you made and work on updating the Lutris installers of necessary

@"Ceit.1869" said:You might want to try the cpupower command for tinkering with frequency scaling instead of mucking around in /sys, it's a bit more straightforward to run under sudo and gives more info. The Arch Linux wiki has a good explanation as well as a lot on the different governors: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling#Scaling_governors

I tried it out, it works like a charm as well, and fairly easy to memorize.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 I updated my version to 1.9.2 and did some gaming yesterday. Will play more tonight and keep you posted if there is anything of interest. Thanks!

edit:Now after a few days of testing 1.9.2, I noticed that I more frequently get an error that affects my chatting Edit: That was fixed when I updated my Manjaro to the newest kernel released recently. Thanks!

Is anyone having an issue where the client gets stuck while downloading at "Files Remaining: 49,100"? I tried Armored's 1.9.2, and two different lutris versions of gw2, but it does the same thing.I'm running on Manjaro kde.

https://imgur.com/a/ISIkMOj

Update: I moved the incomplete .dat file that I downloaded on linux to windows and test it on the native windows client. The .dat file was corrupted. I will either fully download gw2 then move it to linux or redownload gw2 on linux until it works.

@"jinxlaw.9467" said:Is anyone having an issue where the client gets stuck while downloading at "Files Remaining: 49,100"? I tried Armored's 1.9.2, and two different lutris versions of gw2, but it does the same thing.I'm running on Manjaro kde.

https://imgur.com/a/ISIkMOj

Hi, I am running Manjaro KDE, 1.9.2 was slightly buggy until I updated my Manjaro to the most recent kernel. If your system is up to date though, there might be something else and I hope you find the help/guidance you need :) -providing hardware info might help I think

ive started using ubuntu and got a new ssd, which made the load times better but i got problems with going from like 30-40 fps walking around to 1 fps at random moments / would latency add to that problem or just laptop performance? also the download is stuck constantly on 40k things to download and resets every time if i dont download the entire thing

@Kiso.8465 said:ive started using ubuntu and got a new ssd, which made the load times better but i got problems with going from like 30-40 fps walking around to 1 fps at random moments / would latency add to that problem or just laptop performance? also the download is stuck constantly on 40k things to download and resets every time if i dont download the entire thing

Since it's a fresh setup, the 1 fps moments you're seeing is probably due to first time shader compilation, eventually it smooths out on subsequent runs. As for the download issue I really can't tell, the forum lately had it's fair share of launcher issue.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:yeah, I mentored some newbies playing on windows who have the download issue as well.

yeah, i apparently have to get an vpn as well to play gw2 now for some reason , ISP is not being helpful so i wasnt sure what can cause what

Since this appears to be a tech support thread, I'm just going to test my luck here. I tried about 4 different ways to run GW2 on Ubuntu 18.04, 3 of them pretty much worked (Armored Vehicle Scripts / manually get all the Wine things / Lutris) up to the moment of downloading all the files for gw2.dat in the installation process through the launcher. There is always about 10% missing and then it gives up and there is no way to get it to finish. It doesn't freeze, the megabytes shown are constantly rising, but 1: up to a point of being way too big, 2: the gw2.dat doesn't grow anymore, 3: It never gets more of the files mentioned on the launcher, 4: it never gets away from 90% or 91%.Running the game anyways (since it is ready to play at like 30% already) is, as far as I know, known to have unplayable performance and does so in my case too.

Right now, I want to see if I can get 100% on windows first, and if so, just copy the files to my Ubuntu system (the wiki tells me they are not machine dependant). I've seen kind of similar launcher issues reported in here and maybe someone has an idea of where it might come from, since not everyone can use windows.@jinxlaw.9467 did that work for you?

Update: another thread mentions something that could be related

Some servers currently have corrupted files, causing the launcher to get stuck downloading the same file endlessly. To fix this, use the following option:

-assetsrv 54.84.216.160

update 3: in case anyone tries - like me - looking for a solution here in this thread, i might have it now.100% not a linux issue, it appears the european servers are giving out corrupted files, switching the servers to download from to US seems to solve the problem for most people (by using arguments -assetsrv [current IP] [or] origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com , possibly -patchconnections 1). in some cases apparently people had to be connected to their router via cable as oppose to wireless.again, doesn't really belong here I think but maybe it helps a few people coming across.