How to invest 10k gold for safe growth over time?

Thakis.6931

Hello everyone,

a few years ago I was very lucky to invest 250-500 gold and make a profit of 11-13k gold in the trading post.It was a one-time deal based on a tip from a trusted guild member.

That was three years ago. Since then I haven't invested in anything and only spend money.Do you have a long-term investment strategy so that I can at least cover my expenditures?For me it should be safe and take little time. I only play a few hours a month.Even a net growth of just 1-2% per month would be sufficient for my investment.

best regardsThakis

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617Unfortunately, most people misunderstand me. Also in the german GW2 forum.I'm not interested in getting as much gold as possible.I just want a safe investment. A few percent of profit is already sufficient for me.

The money is spent faster than it's earned.If I decide to level the crafting disciplines from 400 to 500 and then forge one or the ascended gears, current sigils and runes I'll need >1000 Gold.So why not invest the money if I currently do nothing with it? It is the same in real life.Therefore it's not about earning money but to compensate my future expenditure.

Edit:@Sobx.1758I don't know exactly. I guess I bought T6 leather back in 2015. Waited one or two years and sold it.But I'm not sure. It''s been a few years.

As far as I know the only thing you could buy which could just sit and increase in value is gems. There is a tax on gem/gold conversions which mean you can lose money if you convert then convert back when the prices are too similar, but if you time it right you can make a decent profit that way.

There might well be items which are guarenteed to go up in value, but if anyone knows about them they're unlikely to say on a public forum. We're all on a pretty even playing field here (unlike real life where there could be a local startup not many people know about, regional variations in supply and demand and so on), so if there's a simple way to make gold and everyone knows about it chances are everyone will do it and then, at least when it comes to the trading post, that shifts the dynamics - supply increases or people start sourcing their own and the super-valuable commodity isn't so valuable any more.

You could buy something which is currently very cheap and hope Anet makes changes which make it more valuable in the future, but there's no guarentee that will work. (For example if you had bought stacks of thick leather before 2015 and sold it in 2016 you could have made a fortune. If you'd done the same with mithril you'd be disappointed.)

You got lucky last time - a friend spotted an oppertunity and was nice enough to share it with you, and it actually paid out. It's unlikely a stranger would be as willing to share their tricks for making gold, especially that kind of amount, so the best approach is probably to do your own research.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Black lion skins. When first released they sell for 50g to 80g each. Wait 6 months to a year, and they've doubled in price.

It doesn't always work though. I got one of the Frostforged weapons last Wintersday, kept it until June to sell at a higher price only to find the price hadn't really changed. I listed it anyway at the current lowest sell price, relisted it twice at lower prices and it still didn't sell until this Wintersday when they were available again. I see the same looking at GW2TP.com graphs of sale prices for recent sets like Branded and Endless Ocean weapons. Some weapons sell for more at certain times but it's not the kind of safe investment the OP asked for, you'd need to keep monitoring prices and availability to find the best time to sell and it will never be as simple as investing a certain amount and seeing a fixed return based on how long you wait to cash out.

@voltaicbore.8012So why are you commenting in this thread if you don't want to help me?@Danikat.8537I totally agree with your first answer but you and the other readers here forget one important point.I don't want to know the next best selling item. Items that could make a net profit of over 50, 100, or even 1000 %.I know nobody will share this kind of information in forums like this and that's totally ok.

I'm interested in items with a small but steady growth (if they exist). Items with just 1-5 % net profit. Too small to be interesting for people like @voltaicbore.8012 .Or would you invest 5 hours just to get 1 % profit of your current wealth? I guess not. For me it would be already 100 g.That's the point and this is the reason why I opened this thread. Not to ask for the next big thing but for the small and consistent one.

Nothing is safe for such an investment. Mystic Coins would probably be the closest, as Cyninja notes. However, even that is a bit unsure - given that Icebrood Saga (LS5) isn't adding any new legendaries as far as we know, they could possibly start slowly decreasing in value; but they might just stay stable.

Other than that - gems is really the only thing that seems to never have a serious, long-term drop.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Other than that - gems is really the only thing that seems to never have a serious, long-term drop.

Please note that both gold-to-gems as well as gems-to-gold transfers are highly taxed. So, it will be hard to get any profit out of trading these back and forth over time.

Absolutely, but OP isn't asking about things to flip repeatedly. The question is a single thing that will increase in value long term. Over the span of years, the price of gems may increase enough to fit.

The average gems-to-gold price lately is approaching the average gold-to-gems price of early 2017. If bought at a temporary dip in price and sold at a temporary spike, you could absolutely have made a pretty good profit - nothing near what active trading could generate, but the amount of work would have been almost infinitely smaller too.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Thakis.6931 said:@Sobx.1758crafting material :)

That says nothing, which one? :D

Very likely Mystic Coins. Those would achieve the type of growth described, matches the time period mentioned and the use.

Doubt he'd mistake leather with the mcoins :DI'm still pretty curious who and how could have "a tip" to easly turn 200-500 into 12k gold. :p

• Confused 1

Back when the ascended armor got introduced for example the Silk Scraps went from 3c buying/9c selling to 2s 15c buying/2s 30c selling within a month so it's value went up by ~ * 70 those who saw that coming/where fast enough buying while it was still cheap could make a lot of gold, sadly i was not one of those.

There are several websites that cater to this. Use your favorite search engine. Some are better than others.

Honestly, the best profits that a guarantee involve a large upfront cost (either a precursor or 250 Mystic Coins), or involve a large amount of clicking in the Mystic Forge (lodestones).

Lodestones in particular have a high velocity on the market, people need them for Legs and other skins, so even if you get outbid, they'll eventually sell. Usually within a day.

@Cyninja.2954I've already given the answer but some post were deleted by the admins.I investet in t6 leather few years ago.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 and @lare.5129for sure, most people recommend the investment in gems but even if you wait three years you don't get a profit if you change gems back to gold. (comparrision between jan 17 and jan 20)@lare.5129I hope you read my other posts. I already mentioned that there is a lot in this game for me to achieve. I don't even have the achievement "The Emperor's New Wardrobe". (I hope it's the right name in english)So why shouldn't I invest my money and buy things with my profit?The alternative would be to spend all my money instead of investing.After three months I would be broke if I have no income.

@Sobx.1758We had a TP-Nerd in our guild for a few years. He had also a high rank in our hierarchy and enjoyed high trust. I guess his net worth is over 100k gold. We also had someone in the guild who stoped playing gw2 and gave away his Legys. Our guild was amazing :)I bought leather for - i guess - 40c and sold it for 20-30s.As I sad, it was just luck...a very profitable one. If I had invested in Mithril instead, I would be poor now.

@Lan Deathrider.5910thank you for the feedback :)a large upfront cost wouldn't be a showstopper for me.

@Thakis.6931 said:@Cyninja.2954I've already given the answer but some post were deleted by the admins.I investet in t6 leather few years ago.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 and @lare.5129for sure, most people recommend the investment in gems but even if you wait three years you don't get a profit if you change gems back to gold. (comparrision between jan 17 and jan 20)@lare.5129I hope you read my other posts. I already mentioned that there is a lot in this game for me to achieve. I don't even have the achievement "The Emperor's New Wardrobe". (I hope it's the right name in english)So why shouldn't I invest my money and buy things with my profit?The alternative would be to spend all my money instead of investing.After three months I would be broke if I have no income.

@Sobx.1758We had a TP-Nerd in our guild for a few years. He had also a high rank in our hierarchy and enjoyed high trust. I guess his net worth is over 100k gold. We also had someone in the guild who stoped playing gw2 and gave away his Legys. Our guild was amazing :)I bought leather for - i guess - 40c and sold it for 20-30s.As I sad, it was just luck...a very profitable one. If I had invested in Mithril instead, I would be poor now.

@Lan Deathrider.5910thank you for the feedback :)a large upfront cost wouldn't be a showstopper for me.

Then look into the weapons that can be made with Mystic Coins. Or infusions. The infusions above +15 agony resistance have a large cost to craft, but also sell for a great amount.

There really isn't any guaranteed investment scheme in the GW2 economy. Every way of earning gold (barring strokes of luck like your initial investment*) takes active engagement - either by farming or actively keeping track of the TP.

*Yes, that was luck, mostly on behalf of your guildmate. There are quite a few materials hovering at vendor value like t5 leather used to that have not seen adjustments. Unless said guildmate had insider information, of course.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Thakis.6931 said:@Cyninja.2954I've already given the answer but some post were deleted by the admins.I investet in t6 leather few years ago.

Then look into the weapons that can be made with Mystic Coins. Or infusions. The infusions above +15 agony resistance have a large cost to craft, but also sell for a great amount.

They seem to rarelly sell tbh, high risk, but might profit, true :p

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

They seem to rarelly sell tbh, high risk, but might profit, true :p

Depends on how many coins/infusions he has on hand and if he sells low :tongue:

The things that sell for large amounts like that tend to sell slowly unless you decide to cut your profits lower and sell at a hot price, whereas things like T6 mats and lodestones sell quickly, but require a large amount of clicking in the forge to make large profits