Idea: Mercenary for hire: feature for players when their server is dead in WvW

Knighthonor.4061

This an idea similar in concept to Server Links but for temporary joining a more active server during down time for WvW, and getting ported back once your server is back up to a decent number of players.

Sort of like a Reverse EoTM feature. EoTM was meant for servers that are overly crowded, where as this feature is for temporary patches to when server is under populated.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:So if your server is in a "dead", then you automatically join a more active server...

How the kitten is players supposed to get "ported back once their server is back up" if everyone automatically get punted to a more active one?

This is just stupid.

example using small numbers.Lets say 100 players is a "full server"We will call this server Ping Pong server as a made up name

Now lets say right now only 5 people are online in WvW on that server.

They can Mercenary to a different server that is more populated.

So there are still 5 players from Ping Pong server in WvW, they just on a different server map playing right now.

Then lets say in the next hour, 35 Ping Pong server players join into WvW over the course of that hour.

Those five Mercenaries from Ping Pong server thats have been playing on the other serversget a prompt that they will be ported to their server (Ping Pong because enough players are now online)in 10 seconds

Mercenary is now disabled until populations drop again.

If server is "dead" in WvW, then the solution is to repopulate it, not to empty it out even further.

This should only be accessible for players who play on servers that are always full as heck or has a high WvW population, so they can opt out of their own WvW and join a random queue to fight for other servers.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Fish.2769" said:Simply put, wouldn't work.

why not?

I mean, I like new ideas, but those 5 people have their own server fight and they will not only lose a lot of points but also enemies could turn towers/keeps to t3 which means a commander needs to take all that back before fights can happen. And the whole reason with linked servers, is to merge smaller servers with bigger ones. It could be turned around though and be a lot more interesting if bigger servers with full maps could help out smaller servers. (could however effect the whole "community thing" and also maybe abusable)

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Then lets say in the next hour, 35 Ping Pong server players join into WvW over the course of that hour.Except they wouldnt join their own server, they'd be "mercenaries" like the rest because they are dropping in one by one just like the previous 5. The population of the original server would never go up.

You really didnt think this one through did you?

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Then lets say in the next hour, 35 Ping Pong server players join into WvW over the course of that hour.Except they wouldnt join their own server, they'd be "mercenaries" like the rest because they are dropping in one by one just like the previous 5. The population of the original server would never go up.

You
really
didnt think this one through did you?

did you read the part where I said

So there are still 5 players from Ping Pong server in WvW, they just on a different server map playing right now.

Then lets say in the next hour, 35 Ping Pong server players join into WvW over the course of that hour.

Those five Mercenaries from Ping Pong server thats have been playing on the other serversget a prompt that they will be ported to their server (Ping Pong because enough players are now online)in 10 seconds

I was using 5 players as an example of the mercenaries, but as the number of people from that server increases in WvW, they all get prompt that they are being sent to their server WvW map, regardless of what server that they are Mercenaries on. I did say that.

So to be clear enough for you to understand.

Lets say there are 30 Mercenaries at the time, they all get prompt that they going to be ported to their map once they have a reasonable population.

@zengara.8301 said:

why not?

I mean, I like new ideas, but those 5 people have their own server fight and they will not only lose a lot of points but also enemies could turn towers/keeps to t3 which means a commander needs to take all that back before fights can happen. And the whole reason with linked servers, is to merge smaller servers with bigger ones. It could be turned around though and be a lot more interesting if bigger servers with full maps could help out smaller servers. (could however effect the whole "community thing" and also maybe abusable)

But if there are not enough players in the first place (hence the Mercenary idea) then players likely wont be able to do any of that stuff anyway because they greatly outnumbered even with linked servers connected. Hence my reasoning for this Mercenary idea.

This is a feature idea for when population is too low on the maps in WvW for your specific server/link you in. When numbers reach a reasonable threshold they all get ported to their server map to carry on like normal.

This way population would be able to build up "While" players get an opportunity to continue their WvW progression on Maps that actually have numbers and actually participating in WvW progression. Many players log into WvW, and if population is low during downtime, they will also leave instead of staying and letting the numbers build up, because progression would be slow.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:This an idea similar in concept to Server Links but for temporary joining a more active server during down time for WvW, and getting ported back once your server is back up to a decent number of players.

Sort of like a Reverse EoTM feature. EoTM was meant for servers that are overly crowded, where as this feature is for temporary patches to when server is under populated.

Wait for Alliances like the rest of us. Also, the devs aren’t going to devote resources to something that doesn’t work to resolve issues, and it doesn’t serve any purpose to take out people on lower population maps if the problem is low population on a map...

@Justine.6351 said:rofl what an idea, make dead servers even more dead...

What would have made more sense is the spvp hotjoin volunteer mechanic that lets you go over to an underpopulated enemy side until next daily reset for increased rewards or something.

that would set up potential to be abused. Which is why I didnt suggest that.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Justine.6351 said:rofl what an idea, make dead servers even more dead...

What would have made more sense is the spvp hotjoin volunteer mechanic that lets you go over to an underpopulated enemy side until next daily reset for increased rewards or something.

that would set up potential to be abused. Which is why I didnt suggest that.

what? they might pull some levers on a server that already doesn't have any? kinda exactly what members from a dead server could do to a larger server if for no other reason than spite your way?

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

why not?

But if there are not enough players in the first place (hence the Mercenary idea) then players likely wont be able to do any of that stuff anyway because they greatly outnumbered even with linked servers connected. Hence my reasoning for this Mercenary idea.

This is a feature idea for when population is too low on the maps in WvW for your specific server/link you in. When numbers reach a reasonable threshold they all get ported to their server map to carry on like normal.

This way population would be able to build up "While" players get an opportunity to continue their WvW progression on Maps that actually have numbers and actually participating in WvW progression. Many players log into WvW, and if population is low during downtime, they will also leave instead of staying and letting the numbers build up, because progression would be slow.

So basically like a fail-safe, if re-link screws up/people jump to other servers?

Not going to lie, the idea behind re-link was basically fixing the lack of players and this seems like it would not change it a lot, besides being a band-aid that will need a band-aid in the future-