Getting tired of lag in WvW, unplayable

Draco.9480

I've posted this before and I'll post it again.

An anet dev came onto reddit and explained that the recent bout of horrible skill lag was caused by them misconfiguring the server setup cause they put more hardware to wvw.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/cuikws/this_is_the_sort_of_thing_the_wvw_community_has/exvuufi/?context=1000

-edit-

[Edit 2019 08 26: I went into Blackgate and watched the CPU and some fights; pretty sure this is a problem with too much CPU requirements and it only happens in big battles with lots of skills flying. Sometimes players, who are clever and amazing, figure out a new way to use a skill that is expensive so we'll be evaluating skill performance.]

Anyone complaining of lag used a routing trace to see how many stops your data takes to get to anet servers?

I know people that get lag, but also admit being on satellite net in rural new zealand.

Though im used to playing in 180-220ms and came back from eso where the average is 550-580 and when you come across 5 people you spike to 800 an blue screen.

@grouchybhaal.4275 said:Anyone complaining of lag used a routing trace to see how many stops your data takes to get to anet servers?

I know people that get lag, but also admit being on satellite net in rural new zealand.

Though im used to playing in 180-220ms and came back from eso where the average is 550-580 and when you come across 5 people you spike to 800 an blue screen.

traceroute means nothing. Watch your ping.

You run around on the map: ping 50. Enemy closes in: ping 80. Enemy engages: ping 130. Second enemy shows up: ping 180.

But the ping is not the full story. Cast meteor 3x in a row, not going off one. Rubberbanding. Even insta-cast skills not doing anything, Vapor form taking you half across the map before the server remembers that you should be out of it. etc pp.

THAT is the lag everyone complains about. not ping at 100. And THAT lag is solely anet's fault.

• Like 1

Well this evening the entire Jade Quarry Team....crashed in EBG. Literally we were in discord, and every last one of us had the Crash function appear on our screens, just as we engaged the enemy. Never saw anything like it. One minute we're charging into combat, then sound lockup and the Crash Message. With that and some of the Visual Errors I been seeing. I think Anet needs to shutdown WvW and run a Maintenance. It's gotten...pretty bad.

@c space cowboy.2764 said:[Edit 2019 08 26: I went into Blackgate and watched the CPU and some fights; pretty sure this is a problem with too much CPU requirements and it only happens in big battles with lots of skills flying. Sometimes players, who are clever and amazing, figure out a new way to use a skill that is expensive so we'll be evaluating skill performance.]And the other 99% of the time, they just stack scourges and AoE spam.

@Draco.9480 said:I click on some fast cast aoe few times and nothing happens for like 10 seconds then i get killed for not activating my heals/barriers in time cuz it has a delay.long story short: UNPLAYABLE.do something about it.

Easy fix, remove most AoEs from the game mode. If GW3 has a WvW mode the number of AoE attacks will be far, far fewer. It is one of the worst design decisions in the game. Non-targeted AoE spam creates immense computational and network pressure as well as a ridiculous amount of visual clutter.

• 4 months later...

@grouchybhaal.4275 said:Anyone complaining of lag used a routing trace to see how many stops your data takes to get to anet servers?

Thank's I will tell my whole server your brilliant idea.

Skill lag has increased drastically, 3 way fights are practically unplayable, and I am talking about playing smaller comps on the edges, the lag is very bad even there. Usually skill lag goes away on a map when the zergs move to another part but the skill lag has been persisting in smaller scale fights. Even with only 2 zergs on the map the skill lag has been way too persistent.

Its beyond server upgrade time.

Me, like many others, do not fight other players - we are just fighting primarily with lag first and foremost. I can deal with all the bad imbalances and horrors in the game as long as I can get a stable ping and lower latency aws server with a closer geo location to act as a tunnel to the main servers.