( new player ) i don't really get it about excessive cash-shop

omarxz.5837

Every section of the game has it's own unique armors and weapons to collect, dungeons, fractals, raids, spvp, wvw, story zones, etc.You're not paying a monthly sub, you can't expect everything to be released into the game for free.The cash shop is the replacement of a monthly sub and since this game is built on cosmetics, that's where most of the skin products will be, armor, weapon, outfits, gliders, mounts, gathering tools, etc.Even then you can still buy gems using gold, and even get them through achievements levels.

The only thing I would complain about is them stating a feature for an expansion and then taking 4 years after release to finally be done with it, aka legendary weapons 2.0 from HoT.

Unfortunately the game cannot sustain on just the expansions which are a one time buy and currently even offer buy 1 get the other free.

It is a big problem for alot of people but this is just the way the game is.Skins sell and flashy skins sell even better hence the gemstore.

But I must say there are a lot of armors and weapons you can get in game which are quite cool - requiem armor to make an example is an awesome pve earned armor set which looks very 'flashy'

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:Unfortunately the game cannot sustain on just the expansions which are a one time buy and currently even offer buy 1 get the other free.

It is a big problem for alot of people but this is just the way the game is.Skins sell and flashy skins sell even better hence the gemstore.

But I must say there are a lot of armors and weapons you can get in game which are quite cool - requiem armor to make an example is an awesome pve earned armor set which looks very 'flashy'

Yes, love the Requiem set, especially for my asura. My Sylvari mirage wears the set from Dragonfall. Charr warrior wears the revenant set (the one Rytlock wears in HoT), my Sylvari elementalist wears the Twilight Arbor set, and my Norn reaper wears the Arah dungeon set. The only skin I've bought from the gem store was the Shimmerwing skyscale and the spooky mount set. And I converted gold to gems for those.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:"
Anet spends too much time on gemshop because they added a couple of skins last patch!
"

Game contains 2000+ skins, many of which are from vanilla.

Just a minor addendum, according to gw2efficiency, the game has a total of 5,942 divided into:
  • 2,095 armor skins at the moment. 399 of those are from the gem store
  • 3,538 weapon skins at the moment. 45 are from the gem store (edit: a notice here, the black lion skins are not counted as gem store weapons. These are only direct gem store purchase skins)
  • 260 back item skins. 55 are from the gems store
  • 49 gathering skins, all of which are from the gem store

Easily checked in the gw2efficiency ACCOUNT/WARDROBE section.

The game also contains 93 outfits, most of which are gem store related, but some (around 15 - 20) are from other sources (anniversary gifts, old town clothes conversions, etc.)Since OP said outfits, I was talking about the armor, forgot about counting weapons :p

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:Unfortunately the game cannot sustain on just the expansions which are a one time buy and currently even offer buy 1 get the other free.

delete

@Roxanne.6140 said:

@"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:Unfortunately the game cannot sustain on just the expansions which are a one time buy and currently even offer buy 1 get the other free.

hey, check out my non-flashy non-shiny gemstore weapon!

I don’t think people will be checking out the weapon in that picture. lol.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:Unfortunately the game cannot sustain on just the expansions which are a one time buy and currently even offer buy 1 get the other free.

Really? Then what will they be checking out?

The weapon makes a melodious tune when being drawn and stowed by the way. just so you know

@Roxanne.6140 said:

Really? Then what will they be checking out?

The weapon makes a melodious tune when being drawn and stowed by the way. just so you know

They’ll be checking out the very flashy skin tight outfit and the flashy backpack.

@Batel.9206 said:

From a more pragmatic standpoint, people buying gems is a major part of ArenaNet's income for this game. No gem store, and the game would likely be subscription based or you'd have to pay for every new living world episode.

People don't want to hear that though - i.e the truth.

Personally, I always thought it was a big mistake giving away living season episodes for $0. If you make something, charge for it (and do discounts for early buy / packs, etc of course). Giving it away for free always gave the impression of cheapness and they (Anet) don't really value it all that much. Plus, you know, it would bring in income and some of the cash shop trash (yes, some of it is that) could be culled.

@omarxz.5837 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:So, no constructive criticism? Only complaining?

You don't have to purchase anything from the gem store to play the game. Or, you could play the game and convert gold to gems to buy things from the gem store.

I don't understand the point of the thread.

my issue is not understanding why buy expansion while you put most of your visual progression behind cash-shop otherwise just make the game f2p same how blade and soul do the same thing but its 100% free and there is alot of legit and cool costumes from ingame content in blade and soul and not just cashshop , but compare to guild wars 2 armor of game ingame armor i mean is so bad looking and bad effort put into it compare to cash-shop one

"Visual progression"? What's that? You play a game, you know. It's kind of activity that is all about gameplay. That's what you pay for when you buy an expansion. Nothing in it promises you a "visual progression". So, I still don't see an issue here. Do you wish them to sell you a full wardrobe of Hilton hotel network's CEO for a price of booking for a night? Keep wishing.

Not going to bring up the outfits over armor issue or the slow rate of certain content releases here, let's just talk about the shop itself.Come on, the game is Buy2Play rather than subscription-based after all. One could even argue that we are far closer to Free2Play these days. Expansions are rare and rather sparse. The last one got released more than two years ago while they keep adding and always have been adding content for free.Don't see how they would support themselves without a cash shop. Not to mention the fact that they still refrain from going into the P2W territory for such a long time which is rather uncommon these days.I take this over a subscription MMORPG or any completely F2P game with a P2W cash shop any day.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

game expansions that give you so horrible armor

I have to think that anyone who says in game armor is horrible either hasn’t tried mixing and matching to pull a unique look together or they like the flash, shine and glitter the gemstore provides and think in game armor is too dull without it.

That's it. People don't want to invest time and effort into building a nice, unique look. Well, there is always solution - swipe it off with your credit card, and just get a lazy-man's pack of nIcE lOOks (I also find all this glittering and shining premium armors obnoxious). Don't see an issue here, Anet is very benevolent in how they handle the cash shop. I've been playing for an year, and only bought 2 or 3 such vanity items there (a glider's and a mount's skins). Still, I like how my character looks very much - with only cheap, free, low-level armor skins. I've spent a fortune (ingame money) on dyes to color it properly, but that's another story..

I honestly don’t get why so many people complain about anets cash shop. It’s how this works, this game is a BUSINESS. And it’s better than mandatory monthly subscriptions isn’t it? They game has to stay up and profiting somehow, or would you rather it just die? Obviously it needs to be here, and weekly updates is a completely normal pace

When I opened the cash-shop for the first time, I couldn´t have cared less about outfits or skins. Most of them are not that good for creating a cohesive look for your character.Rather, I was bothered by bagslot-extensions, bank-tab extensions and purchasable storage for materials.These essential things where locked behind a paywall and I never got over it. I´m really curious why I see rarely complaints about that.

@"Arzurag.7506" said:When I opened the cash-shop for the first time, I couldn´t have cared less about outfits or skins. Most of them are not that good for creating a cohesive look for your character.Rather, I was bothered by bagslot-extensions, bank-tab extensions and purchasable storage for materials.These essential things where locked behind a paywall and I never got over it. I´m really curious why I see rarely complaints about that.

There are the occasional complaints, however most people probably realise they are not in the least bit "essential"

All my characters have like 92 (or close enough) slots which is just utilizing the 18slots bags, and I have no need to even upgrade the bag sizes, much less get more bag slots.

It's just a tiny bit of bag management.

Also those are on sale reasonable frequently or in bundles.

This parts not directed at you: People really need to get over the gen store in this game. The ONLY things that could be argued to be needed, would be LS episodes (if you didnt get them for free when playing), but even still gold-gems exists. There is no sub fee, there is (now) only a one time PoF price purchase and a cash shop filled with subjectively unimportant items.

@Arzurag.7506 said:When I opened the cash-shop for the first time, I couldn´t have cared less about outfits or skins. Most of them are not that good for creating a cohesive look for your character.Rather, I was bothered by bagslot-extensions, bank-tab extensions and purchasable storage for materials.These essential things where locked behind a paywall and I never got over it. I´m really curious why I see rarely complaints about that.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't complain about them for the simple reason that I don't need to spend real money on them. I've only ever bought 1 bag slot (discounted) and don't think I really needed that, especially now we have bigger bags available. I've never bought a storage expander at all and I get 1 bank tab a year when they're discounted, so I could easily buy that with gold.