What is your absolute favourite thing in GW2?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was the first battle against kralkatorrik. The hype, the excitement and ofcourse the plottwist. The feeling of my heart getting broken and just staring at my screen feeling empty and lost.The battle was amazing with these cutscenes. The game controlling your camera. It was just awesome. (All or Nothing, living story s4e05)

@Wizler.8192 said:A positive thread and people who enjoy/support the game, that is a nice thing to see.

I like how the game fosters cooperation. Resource nodes, events and kills are available to all. We can rez the downed. People are often helpful in chat.

I agree! Especially the fact most of the times you need to rez and work together to get what you want.This creates a very helpfull community.

Routine. This game you can spend hours a day on, or put it down and come back another time and miss nothing (but make sure to log in for living story patches). But the thing I love is routine, you can kill a boss at the same time every night and see the same names and make friends. Or see the same people in WvW and get to know them. Or see the same people hanging around that spot in Divinity Reach where you idle.

All of the visuals. Absolutely all of them. The character design, animation, the world (I love the Crystal Desert and Shiverpeaks in particular), all of the different enemies and creatures, even the loading screens! I just love to look at this game. The music has been amazing from the very start. The combat is also incredibly fun.

The Revenant. An absolutely splendid Profession with such a fascinating lore and playstyle. I have played it ever since it came out and every other Profession has felt duller in comparison. I hope to see more of it either explained or expanded upon at a later date.

Just the concept of the living world. Just the idea of continuing the story outside of the expansions. To be honest I preferred the bi weekly releases because it really did feel like a TV show. No other game I have played has done this thing before. So basically story is my favourite thing in game.

The music, the art styles and the people. The world is such a beautiful place to exist in and to navigate. Solo or together with friends, it's always so exciting. I've spent tens of hours just wandering around the Gilded Hollow, finding secret areas and hiding spots for our guild community. I spent weeks creating a jumping puzzle for the guild hall worthy of a 2,500g reward for the first to complete it. Managed to set up checkpoints through the event with the help of that vine skill from the living world (The only way we could monitor it so we knew nobody was cheating). We had to do strict regulations once mounts were implemented to stop cheating. It took months for anyone to finish!I love the art work, it's one of my favourites. Especially after the latest living world season came out. I have a small collection of screenshots in a folder where I was going around and snapping each of the loading screens. I've missed many and forgot about it after taking a break but I got back into it once the new map screens came in.The music is gorgeous. Really gets you into the feel of the area. I frequently load up some music here or there just to put in the background when I'm working. 'Fear Not This Night' will always be in my normal playlists though. Such a score, and after I heard it the first time in game, from where it comes from, such a wonderful moment.Above all however, it's the people. I've met so many lovely people through Guild Wars in a community I haven't seen in any other game so far. So many sweet and helpful people. When I started off as the clueless new player, so many people came to help. So strange to think of how uninformed I was back then compared to now. Raiding really brought out the sense of cooperation and shared successes that has fed into many solid friendships to this day. It has resulted in cross-country relationships where people have traveled great distances for short weekends to spend together. We have yearly holiday plans growing at this rate and I can't wait to see where the games takes me and the rest of us in the weeks, months and years to come.

this is going to be long winded. I promise there will be a TLDR version at the bottom.
The Guild wars Franchise, both games, has given me a few things the real world has never been able to, and i would like to openly reveal them to all of you.prior to the launch of the original guild wars, my life was devoted to 3 things: being a firefighter/paramedic, taking care of my ailing mother, and raising my daughter on my own. there was no time for socializing, no time for relaxing, no time to breathe. it was 24/7 work. and i was slowly burning the candle at both ends till there was nothing to burn. i needed a break... something to allow me to escape.i have always played video games, dating all the way back to Pong. playing games like Quake and doom finally allowed me to play with others in deathmatches, but there wasn't much social interaction. then the real world called, and all of that was put on holdand then... Guild wars came along. I was playing wow back then, and i was tired of sub fees and block-shaped graphics. i wanted something new. and on the day i began to play guild wars and entered tyria for the first time, i was blown away.people were not only interacting with each other, but they were socializing as if they were all in the same real world room. people from all over the world, not ever seeing each other in real life... were behaving as if they were family. it was something i had never experienced in gaming before, and... TBH, i haven't seen this sort of thing since.

in Tyria, there is this vast world, filled to the brim with history adventure, beauty, danger and throughout the threads of the world... kinsmanship. while the original game was instance based, parties of up to 8 people or more(in some areas) could play together on missions, explore the world, and experience the exact same game i was playing. i met some of the greatest players of the game back then, and when i say greatest i am not referring to the top tier ones. I met gamers that were willing to help other players who were in need in real life. i met gamers that gave back to the world that raised them. I also met my guild. i managed to spesak to these people through voip and it was as if they were right next to me the whole time.for a guy that needed an escape from the grind, this was perfect.how perfect?when they announced guild wars 2, i was THERE. i was ready willing and able to jump at the chance of playing. my daughter was older, and school age. my mother was getting medical assistance through home nursing. and i found some free time to play. to Tyria I go!my first character in gw2 was a thief... and i have mained that character ever since. while i have rerolled a few times, it has always been my nom de plum (i am sin of anubis)world vs world was intense, massive, and beautiful. it actually felt like genuine conflict rather than a giant CTF gamme mode. in PVE, the moment i exited that tutorial, there was an open world, with nothing set in stone as to what i needed to do next. Back then, you had to earn those skill books. you had to pay that 100g for a commander tag. and 100g was difficult to obtain. Legendary weapons were a goal to achieve and took many many moons to create. champs roamed queensdale. and, most importantly, dozens and dozens of players were in the same instance at the same time doing the same thing you were. and it was fucking epic.

The real world took a tragic turn for me during my first years in guild wars 2. my mother succumbed to the ravages of cancer. i sustained a severe back injury and was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and had multiple herniated discs. my daughter and i were forced to leave our home and venture out to the midwest, where i could rehabilitate, and afford the cost of living. times were very rough. the one place i could go for a relief of the stress... was Tyria. was Guild wars 2.but there was another addition to the world i now called home away from home. my daughter wanted in. she saw me playing in WvW on borlis pass(at the time) and she was hooked. she chose elementalist... and the two of us played guild wars 2 side by side. she picked up the game slowly... with the help of some very famous players, but the biggest gift there... was a father and his daughter could bridge a generational gap and play a game together.

It's been many years since i first created sin of anubis. throughout those years, i have met with, fought alongside , and witnessed the first and last gaming days of a LOT of people. i have begun streaming the game i call home, and have been working slowly on a guide for the next generation of tyrians. i belong to a family of diverse, eager, fiendly and outspoken gamers from all over the world. i have joined that community that is made of gamers giving back that intrigued me so long ago. and... for as long as this game exists... it will always be my home.

the TLDR version: the lore, the people, the game modes, the world, the history, the social interaction, and the combat system. Guild wars 2... Tyria is my home.

So hard to choose. The art style, the music, the comba and build flexibility, the varied game modes, the uniqueness and usefulness of each mount.... But ultimately I'd say... Exploration. I've done full world map completion on 5-6 characters, and core MC on maybe 20 total... And every single time I swear I find something new in my travels. It's excellent to always find something "new" in my travels, no matter if the content is fresh or 7 years old... I love it.

It took me a long time to "get" GW2. I played at launch, came back for HoT and then didn't give it another try until a few months ago. I was always hung up on what the game wasn't, as compared to other MMOs. I stopped playing the genre at all for a few years, grew extremely disillusioned with the formula but that break was apparently what I needed to stop grumping at what Guild Wars isn't, and come to love what it is. I can't pick just one thing so you get three.

I think what I love third most that the world is the game. It isn't a string of quest hubs created to just get you to max level so you an get to the "real game" in which that real game is farming currency with a time gate created to make sure that you don't complete the game before the next patch comes along and invalidates all that gear you farmed for anyway. (See? Disillusioned.) I have a sizeable to-do list for my main character and most of it just stuff I want to do because I want to do it, or projects that I've created for myself for fun. I'm exploring maps to learn specific pieces of lore, or to take a millions screenshots. Which leads to my second favorite ...

The world design is off the charts. I'm the kind of person who will hold her whole party up in other games while I study the symbols carved on a dungeon wall or because I want to see what books are laying on a desk and holy moly is Tyria rich with random things for me to look at. Artists who painstakingly design sacks of grain, piles of paper and other "clutter": I see you and I love you. World designers who place ruins off in the middle of no where with hints of their origin, or to give nods back to GW1: I'm your fan. All these NPCs in far flung middle of no where that have interesting conversations to eavesdrop on? I'm here for them.

But most of all ... I love Braham. Okay, I really mean that I love all the characters but specifically I also love Braham.

I recently binged Season 3, PoF and Season 4 then went back to replay aaaaall the older content and was fascinated by the journey all these characters, Commander included, have taken. More so though, I'm so very impressed with how the writing has continued to innovate and improve. The way the characters are allowed to grow, to be shaped by the things that happen to them and their interactions with each other has made me love characters that I use to hate. (Looking at you Braham and Taimi) I genuinely care about all these big dumb kids trying their best and I can't wait to see what happens next. The Icebrood Saga is shaping up to be my favorite story I've experience in my 15 years of playing MMOs and I just want more.

@Cronospere.8143 said:For me it was the first battle against kralkatorrik. The hype, the excitement and ofcourse the plottwist. The feeling of my heart getting broken and just staring at my screen feeling empty and lost.The battle was amazing with these cutscenes. The game controlling your camera. It was just awesome. (All or Nothing, living story s4e05)

I agree but I'd go further the whole of season 4 and I'm including episode 3 in that for the story that is. Just the things they did. Moving from one instance straight into another, two brilliant villians in my personal opinion Kralkatorrik was 10X better than Zhaitan and Mordremoth. Destroying the mists or damaging them really badly (side note Anet you need to address this). The first fight with Kralk but also the flying section in episode 6 just flying through the god realms on Aurenes back chasing the dragon. If I'm honest I expected when the second half of season 4 moved onto Kralk we'd lead up to an expansion dealing with him but to fight him in Living World would have been something unheard of even in season 3.

@Raknar.4735 said:Probably the battle on the Breachmaker, sadly it isn't available anymore.

Whilst I loathed a lot of LS1, The Battle for LA, Battle on the Breachmaker are amongst the few exceptions to that. There is very little that comes as close to being as epic as that double episode was in scope and content.

It remains the best story arc ending in the game. Arguably the franchise.

@Randulf.7614 said:Whilst I loathed a lot of LS1, The Battle for LA, Battle on the Breachmaker are amongst the few exceptions to that. There is very little that comes as close to being as epic as that double episode was in scope and content.

It remains the best story arc ending in the game. Arguably the franchise.LS1's battles: the BLA, the Breachmaker, the Nightmare tower, the Marionette, the first time we fought the revamped teq, and those first weeks of triple troublebring back THAT type of intensity pretty please.