Celestial Challenge and Divine Lucky Envelope nerf

Musha.4025

@Lamont.5973 said:OK, just in case it was not clear in the preceding discussion: The stacks of Lucky Aura carry over to the next round only if you do not open the chest.I let my aura accumulate to 12 before opening the chest and did not get any token plus it only counted as 1 chest for the AP of opening 8 chests. But if I opened every round I tended to get 1 token per every 2-3 runs plus each chest counted for the AP. I found it better by far to just open at the end of each round as it contributed both to the AP and got me more tokens than allowing luck to accumulate. I will probably play through for the full 25 AP over the next few days and then move on to more profitable activities.

I'm not sure it's even worth it for the AP.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I agree with the change. One of the most common themes in rewards or reward design is:Don't take something away which was already available only to repackage it as "additional rewards". Players (and not only players, literally most human beings) dislike having something taken away (extends to immaterial things, as in this case the option to purchase Lucky Envelopes daily). The correct approach would have been to simply add some Lucky Envelopes via a token system upping the daily available total if a positive response was desired.

Now I'm not someone to make a big fuss about such a change because quite frankly, I just see the event as a minor distraction before the next content release, as such I don't mind to much. I am concerned though about how such changes make it into the game. There should be better judgement as far as rewards and reward design goes from the developers.

It's almost as though the changes to dungeons (which caused an outcry only to be reversed or rather re-implemented in another way), the changes to meta rewards (which at least can be argued as necessary from a balance perspective. Hard to make such an argument for a short living world event and a merchant bought item) or changes to fractal rewards (which saw part of fractal rewards be put behind the masteries) and lessons learned from all those have gone out the window again.

I was excited to see this new activity and the posibilities, but im so boring of anet nerfing things, for no reason, because its just a nerf to the old way of: buy your 16 envelopes daily, and enjoy.Now we must do this activity/event, that gets boring after 30 minutes, and is basically: run around, open an empty chest and repeat, all of this takes 8-10 minutes, just to get a CHANCE to get a token to get a 10 silver discount, with an already limited item that you can only buy 8 times per day(with tokens). No wonder the activity is dead in the first day, looks like was made for unefficient bots: no intensity, no challenge, no rewards. So i ask myself: The only purpose of this activity was just camouflage a nerf to the daily purchase and say: but hey, you can still get the other 8 envelopes, by consuming 2 hours doing this mindless, boring and unrewarding activity.....Unless im missing something, or is bugged, this is just another dead activity, not only because the rewards and time it takes, is just boring after few rounds.Resume : If you want your extra 8 envelopes, be ready to spend around 1.5h-2h doing this boring activity, just to get an 80 silver discount and few unid gear. If you want gold, just go to Dragonfall, buy the 8 daily envelopes and forget this joke of an 'activity' even exists.Just sad

@Lamont.5973 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Has it been confirmed that the achievement maxes out at 25 AP? It shows 60 on mine.

ah you are right it is 60. I just assumed 25 as that was usually what repeated AP cap at - hmm well I did get 17 gold and 5 AP from the first 8 rounds so I guess I may keep going.

Yeah. It’s what I initially assumed too until I looked closer. My guess is that it’ll take about 21 hours to max if you average 13 minutes between rounds including the loot/cooldown phase.

I had a weird moment last night where I got fed up with getting few tokens. I could have sworn I got more, but only 2 showed in my stack. So, I went to the vendor to use the ones I had. My stack showed 2, and I had 5 left that I could buy. When I looked at the icons on the vendor, it showed I had 5 available. I bought 5 despite my stack in the inventory showing only 2. I thought maybe they were in my bank/wallet, but there is no wallet entry and I hadn't visited my bank. Super weird.

This has got to be random. I went for my first run at the challenge for the day, got in for the last 2 events (2 Aura stacks) and got a token on that first run. And this is after having done it several times last night after the daily reset.

And I see the leechers have figured out where to stand to avoid getting mobbed while waiting for the chest to spawn.

The event is incredibly lame, but spread out over the course of the whole festival it doesn't seem like it will be that hard to get all the ap, and if not, there's always next year . . .

The envelopes have always been something for nothing so it doesn't bother me at all that half of the nothing has been replaced with something. I was far more disappointed by the wintersday gift nerf, but ppl are different I suppose . . .

It's basically a change to force people into doing more of the festival activities, and all it accomplishes is ticking people off without actually adding anything to the festival.

Which by the way, I'm not sure the Celestial Challenge is entirely working properly. Seems like the Collecting Tribute event with mushrooms scattered all over barely moves the bar at all.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

You never meet the req in that one so you don't get the bonus. Kill mobs is 50 mote is 200 except the flying up one thats 100. Race is 200 and I think tribute is 200 but u never get 200 so it progresses the bar way less. Targets is either 10 or 30. It is to promote active play but unfortunatly the drop is random so you could spend hours getting 8 extra

Well, if the requirement is unmeetable, then they need to redesign the event.

I actually don't mind that they added another festival currency so you can buy 8 envelopes with it. Sure it is a nerf to the years before, but it wouldn't be that bad.What is utterly bad is time gating and totally RNG these tokens on a "challenge", which feels underwhelming.

I can only play a few hours for a day because of work, having to grind several hours just to get the needed amount of tokens is pretty much insulting. It's not even fun after a while, you start to question your life decisions while doing this brain dead event grind. At least they could have added these tokens to other activities, too. Like the race or dragon bash. That at least wouldn't force you to spend 15min for a chance of a token.

Imagining people at Anet sitting in a meeting room or something and everyone agreeing that this festival is now a big one, because they added this "challenge", is frightening. This totally needs a rework and shouldn't have seen the day of light in this kind of way.

@Zanktus.9821 said:It's not even fun after a while, you start to question your life decisions while doing this brain dead event grind.:lol: This is exactly how I felt. The game has always had its ups and downs and there have definitely been occasions which concerned far more than this event does, but this is the first thing that has ever made me stop and think 'why do I even still play this?' The answer ofc is second screens :p

Well that and knowing that I've only got another eighty rounds to go before I can abandon this little challenge forever :)

All in all, this has to be one of the worst festival activities ever with regard to reward for time spent, token drop or no token drop. Stepping into any lvl 80 zone and casually killing a handful of mobs in the first 30 seconds out will almost certainly give you more loot. If the token were guaranteed for doing a full cycle, it still would be poor pickings. There's the AP of course which will keep some people playing.

Nothing wrong with that (taking envelopes you would just get and makimg you work for them)

Uhh i cant tell if this is sarcastic but no, ppl dont take kindly to having to work for things they took for granded.

It just really shows how weak this festival is and pmuch how weak most festivals are when u take away from them the only thing they have which is rewards.

I understand the change. Every other lunar festival was just 'log in, buy envelopes and log out.' Now you actually have to do something, just as every other festival.Also I, for one, love the Celestial Challenge. I'm not saying it's perfect (my only problem is with rat challenge as there is not enough tributes to finish the event on time with bonus progress) but still. It's a great idea. Awesome concept. Also, it's a first time they are trying this so just give them some time. Yes, I don't think everything will be fixed this year, since festival is already in progress. But, who knows...?

If it didn't have a daily limit on earning and purchasing the bonus lucky envelopes or at least made it possible to reach more than 16 a day it would be fine. But to make reaching 16 not worth the time and only provide a 10 silver discount for that kind of effort, really just means you shouldn't bother. Or get extra accounts to avoid the time wasting limitation.

@zealex.9410 said:

Nothing wrong with that (taking envelopes you would just get and makimg you work for them)

Uhh i cant tell if this is sarcastic but no, ppl dont take kindly to having to work for things they took for granded.

It just really shows how weak this festival is and pmuch how weak most festivals are when u take away from them the only thing they have which is rewards.

Really? Spending 1 Gold for a chance to...maybe...make some Gold is a reward most covet? So far, I've lost money on this 'removed' reward, and I always buy the discounted ones.

I used to always play Dragon Ball, but I much prefer the Challenge. And, since I now have a Skyscale, I managed the Firecracker Challenge, as well.

Thus, I'm not sure Lucky Envelopes are the only thing Lunar New Year offers. I'm sure some appreciate the sinks and ability to acquire other currency/items. =)