Rhytlock our best mate so far?

iRedfox.3198

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Arenanet merely has chosen to call the player Commander in place of a name, because constantly being called "you" annoyed people.More science should go to AI driven voice sampling to dynamically patch in player names during NPC dialogue as a replacement or suffix for "Commander". "Commander [insert name here], a word please." One can dream.

Logans Lover 69xoxoxo, a word if you please.

He's definitely, alongside Caithe, the one who's been "with" us the longest. Logan, Eir, and Zojja all kind of went their own ways starting in Season 1, only popping back up occasionally. Rytlock seems to always be tagging along in varying degrees because he doesn't have much else going on. Mostly because he's avoiding having anything else going on.

I don't personally like him that much, but he does seem to be the cult favorite with both the fans and the devs. Aside from Aurene and the recent Joko Pop! there really hasn't been any other named character that's gotten merchandise or has appeared in promotional material. This even goes back to before release; he was the only figure that came as an option with the collector's edition of the game. I've just never gotten the Rytlock hype, for some reason.

Currently I'd say the reason he's more in the spotlight is just because we're digging into the Charr a little bit more and he's our current gateway Charr, what with Rox shacking up with the Olmakhan and all.

I thought Rythlock as a token Charr for the party initially.

Then when I saw Rox, I was like nah, THIS is the token Charr.

Rythlock is something else.

Anet obviously favours him and tbh, I don't see why not.

He is the closest thing to a Charr Main Character, with plenty of flaws and plenty of "realistic" development.

He didn't even start as an average Charr, he started as a smol-er than average Charr, but he got over it with cunning.He wasn't a perfect soldier, and he made alot of self serving choices, which is in fact, very Charr-like.(like please, what sort of Charr mentality does Rox have, wanting to help this, save that, making friends here and there)

It wasn't until a good part into Path of Fire where we see him lose his edge a little and start opening up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd kind of like to see Ember make a comeback as a supplementary charr due to the Almorra connection, but we've probably got enough charr in the story that it's not necessary. As far as personal connections with the anonymous Commander go, I'm not sure who gets the title of "best mate". It's easy to make a case for several, and I imagine ANet would be happy to keep it that way to keep different players invested.

Rytlock is by far the best well-made character of the GW2 franchise.Not only he is the best of the initial "companions" (Zojja, Logan, Cait, Ryt and Eir), but also we are luck enough to have him sticking trough all the episodes, having a nice character development and a unique personality.When i found out that Icebrood saga features him a lot i became very happy with that surprise. I feel like he is my character's best friend. Taimi being the second and Braham unfortunately, the brat that needs to get lost :p

I can never have enough Rytlock

My opinion of Rytlock has taken three solid hits so I'm kinda "meh" about him. First his hostility towards a sylvari PC during HoT, second his lack of reaction to the PC's death and resurrection in PoF, and now his attempt to murder us. Also, there's the complete lack of apologies or concern for any of this, especially given the poignant combination of #1 and #3. (Braham, whom I couldn't stand, is actually getting to be quite all right in my book because he DID apologize and is making a genuine effort to be "better" in general, and as a result feels he has the most potential to become a real friend.)

Also, it's a bad look when a near-total stranger like Crecia who just went through the same Jormag-mess as Rytlock, shows more concern for a downed-and-dying PC than a supposed old friend.

@"Chadramar.8156" said:My opinion of Rytlock has taken three solid hits so I'm kinda "meh" about him. First his hostility towards a sylvari PC during HoT, second his lack of reaction to the PC's death and resurrection in PoF, and now his attempt to murder us. Also, there's the complete lack of apologies or concern for any of this, especially given the poignant combination of #1 and #3. (Braham, whom I couldn't stand, is actually getting to be quite all right in my book because he DID apologize and is making a genuine effort to be "better" in general, and as a result feels he has the most potential to become a real friend.)

Also, it's a bad look when a near-total stranger like Crecia who just went through the same Jormag-mess as Rytlock, shows more concern for a downed-and-dying PC than a supposed old friend.

This. All of this.

Pretty much everyone is pretty even minus Kasmeer and Majory, Majory being barely there. Up until episode 1, I forgot she was even still a part of the game.

Kasmeer is basically written in to do some hocus-pocus plot line illusion trickery and then peaces out, while Majory is basically "oh there is a thing going down? I need to go do some research" and then is just written off for another year +.

@Gryphon.2875 said:

@"Chadramar.8156" said:My opinion of Rytlock has taken three solid hits so I'm kinda "meh" about him. First his hostility towards a sylvari PC during HoT, second his lack of reaction to the PC's death and resurrection in PoF, and now his attempt to murder us. Also, there's the complete lack of apologies or concern for any of this, especially given the poignant combination of #1 and #3. (Braham, whom I couldn't stand, is actually getting to be quite all right in my book because he DID apologize and is making a genuine effort to be "better" in general, and as a result feels he has the most potential to become a real friend.)

This. All of this.

Eh, he wasn't not concerned about the Commander, he was just distracted for a second because his cub was getting eaten by a Brahamwolf at the same time. It's understandable.