Trailer for Episode 2 released

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@particlepinata.9865 said:

@particlepinata.9865 said:Am i the only one getting spanish language episode info when reading the information page? First the bombartment of e-mails in all kind of languages yesterday, what is happening? :p The link does say en, so it should be english. This is the link:

You can read it in English by using the EN-GB option.(Already notified ArenaNet about the snafu.)

Yeah i already noticed your post after posting this ;) Thx

And....it's been fixed. :)

OP's criticism is valid. <-- (EDIT: I was referring to the OP of another thread, who had expressed feeling underwhelmed by the trailer before the discussion was merged into this one)

Compared to past trailers and releases, this one really did feel 'eh'. I will say that I liked the music, but:

• Drakkar looks tiny and nonthreatening
  • I don't believe Braham is capable of fulfilling a prophecy of any kind when he can't even fulfill his promises to stand by the commander after disappointing them repeatedly, abandoning Dragon's Watch, abandoning the guild he left Dragon's Watch for, and abandoning his duties at the Charr summit almost immediately after assuring you that he's got your back
  • I find it hard to believe Braham is going to be able to 'prove himself as a true Norn', because in the first chapter of this season, he explicitly states 'I'm Norn, I have to do this myself' and then immediately asks you to use your newly-acquired mastery to open a Raven door for him - a power that is usable by Norn only as stated by Jhavi Jorasdottir during that very episode
  • I fully expect we're going to do all of the heavy lifting in this episode, but that Braham is going to push a button at some point in it and we'll be expected to accept that as his redemption when he's failed us so many times previously

I expect more of the same: a map with lukewarm one-and-done masteries, story instances that no one replays, small pockets of interesting open world dialogue put in by a dedicated team, a forgettable world boss, and massive ruptures in story immersion due to contradicting lore.

Might get something different than what I expect (it'd be cool if we did), but just from the trailer and from past experiences, I don't have high hopes.

@coso.9173 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:
hIpkBdp.jpg

The map is surely that big. We saw the Wolf Spirit Shrine in the trailer, Drakkar too in addition of dwarven ruins. For the other things we will see.

where did you get those names and that map? based in anything? gw1? =O

Well yup gw1 wiki ^^ also if you're interested, that shaman made a guide comparing gw1 locations with gw2 one: https://www.thatshaman.com/tools/guide/?v=4&x=-90&y=1000&z=3 (no spoilers, you just have some screenshots and descriptions when following links)

@zealex.9410 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:It's too early to judge. Judge it when it has been played not before

Not that i disagree but the same was said about loadouts and legendary runes/sigils.

Yes...however the same did apply technically. I would argue we were actually provided with a fair amount of prior detail to feedback on though. There's nothing really to feedback on here apart from videos which are out of context and aren't us actually playing.

It may turn out to be naff or great. Either way, these silly threads need closing until after the episode drops. If players then don't like it...fine

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:It's too early to judge. Judge it when it has been played not before

I'm not judging the content of the update on its quality. I'm just saying, from the trailer, I'm not hype. Simple as that. It doesn't look creative to me, it doesn't look "expansion level", it just seems to be more of the usual.

But what is it you want based on past LS experiences? I don't think we've had a major World Boss of this scale outside of an expansion since Vinewrath in LS2 or if people overlook that, then Tequatl revamp, Triple Trouble and Marionette in LS1. We've got a new map. It looks cool at least to me. We've got weapon and armour skins as rewards which players constantly cry out for.

Even if they took into account Ep1 was extremely bare bones, it's too early for that feedback to change much.

I'm pretty hyped for Drakkar myself. I'm setting myself up for a fall, but that's on me. I love massive World bosses and Drakkar is a significant named enemy from the GW franchise

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:It's too early to judge. Judge it when it has been played not before

Not that i disagree but the same was said about loadouts and legendary runes/sigils.

Yes...however the same did apply technically. I would argue we were actually provided with a fair amount of prior detail to feedback on though. There's nothing really to feedback on here apart from videos which are out of context and aren't us actually playing.

It may turn out to be naff or great. Either way, these silly threads need closing until after the episode drops. If players then don't like it...fine

Am I not allowed the voice my disappointment? Must I not be critical of anet? Is zealously following everything they do the only way? I already stated I'm not judging the quality/character of the content its self, just that the video didn't hype me up about the content. I opened the video like a kid on Christmas then after watching felt like a kid who found out there was just a turnip inside. Your silly comments need closing.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Am I not allowed the voice my disappointment? Must I not be critical of anet? Is zealously following everything they do the only way? I already stated I'm not judging the quality/character of the content its self, just that the video didn't hype me up about the content. I opened the video like a kid on Christmas then after watching felt like a kid who found out there was just a turnip inside. Your silly comments need closing.

Critical of Anet is fine - my feedback of Ep1 was scathing. Disappointment in something not released makes no sense and I can totally understand why Anet get so exasperated with the community when they aren't even given the chance to release an episode before no less than two forum threads appear slating it or calling it a disappointment. If you hate it after release, then you can go in and blast the content full steam ahead. I wont stop you.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I'm not judging the content of the update on its quality. I'm just saying, from the trailer, I'm not hype. Simple as that. It doesn't look creative to me, it doesn't look "expansion level", it just seems to be more of the usual.

But what is it you want based on past LS experiences? I don't think we've had a major World Boss of this scale outside of an expansion since Vinewrath in LS2 or if people overlook that, then Tequatl revamp, Triple Trouble and Marionette in LS1. We've got a new map. It looks cool at least to me. We've got weapon and armour skins as rewards which players constantly cry out for.

Even if they took into account Ep1 was extremely bare bones, it's too early for that feedback to change much.

I'm pretty hyped for Drakkar myself. I'm setting myself up for a fall, but that's on me. I love massive World bosses and Drakkar is a significant named enemy from the GW franchise

What I want? New gameplay mechanics, profession changes (it doesn't have to be especs, but some kind of additions), unique masteries that are not just "keys" to chests/portals. Actual creative new stuff that will make my gameplay cycle slightly differently. Don't me me wrong, Drakkar looks cool, but it's just another world boss. 99% chance we move out of red cirlce, spam skills, rez downs, gg. Modremoth? That was a pretty unique fight and felt really epic and fun. I know anet can do better and they said expansion level content, not me.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

What I want? New gameplay mechanics, profession changes (it doesn't have to be especs, but some kind of additions), unique masteries that are not just "keys" to chests/portals. Actual creative new stuff that will make my gameplay cycle slightly differently. Don't me me wrong, Drakkar looks cool, but it's just another world boss. 99% chance we move out of red cirlce, spam skills, rez downs, gg. Modremoth? That was a pretty unique fight and felt really epic and fun. I know anet can do better and
they said
expansion level content, not me.

I get that, but we don't know what Drakkar is going to be like. If it turns out to be like you just described, I'm going to jumping mad like yourself and I will have no truck with excuses about it. But the point is, we do not know. It could be awesome. It could be a unique fight better than anything we've had yet. We can't show disappointment in a fight we know absolutely zero about.

@Randulf.7614 said:

What I want? New gameplay mechanics, profession changes (it doesn't have to be especs, but some kind of additions), unique masteries that are not just "keys" to chests/portals. Actual creative new stuff that will make my gameplay cycle slightly differently. Don't me me wrong, Drakkar looks cool, but it's just another world boss. 99% chance we move out of red cirlce, spam skills, rez downs, gg. Modremoth? That was a pretty unique fight and felt really epic and fun. I know anet can do better and
they said

I get that, but we don't know what Drakkar is going to be like. If it turns out to be like you just described, I'm going to jumping mad like yourself and I will have no truck with excuses about it. But the point is, we do not know. It could be awesome. It could be a unique fight better than anything we've had yet. We can't show disappointment in a fight we know absolutely zero about.

Why didn't they show something in the trailer to illustrate that then? THATS my issue, the trailer is basically communicating to me "Look at what looks to be the same ol' same ol', big hype, much epic music!". Like, if you want these trailers to be informative/get me hyped (as I assume is the purpose?) show me something new! Give me something to look forward to. Instead they leave you with this "I hope they don't screw THIS one up" feeling.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

they said

Why didn't they show something in the trailer to illustrate that then? THATS my issue, the trailer is basically communicating to me "Look at what looks to be the same ol' same ol', big hype, much epic music!". Like, if you want these trailers to be informative/get me hyped (as I assume is the purpose?) show me something new! Give me something to look forward to. Instead they leave you with this "I hope they don't screw THIS one up" feeling.

There's a couple of reasons for that.

1) Anet are hit and miss with trailers. On occasion they are brilliant, but the rest of the time they are functional - purely subjective of course and that is my own opinion not the view of others. Trailers still cost money to make and it would appear they only really target the existing playerbase who are going to play it anyway, so it more effective to bash out a brief series of highlights that mesh together as preview that tells its own story.

2) Anet - for better or worse - do not like giving away info. They will keep as much secret as they can to maximise impact on release and minimise spoilers, however benign they may seem. One of the things it then allows them to do is watch as players pick out these fleeting details and discuss and theorycraft them (often in the lore forums where the strangest theories come out and delight the devs immensely). So they aren't giving info away on Drakkar to allow the theorycraft, to further the speculation.

So if you are expecting more, well there isn't really a whole lots of precedent from Anet to reveal further details. This is no more and no less than every trailer for an episode and to be honest, they are generally always well received enough that Anet has no real reason to adjust what they put in them.

@Randulf.7614 said:

they said

There's a couple of reasons for that.

1) Anet are hit and miss with trailers. On occasion they are brilliant, but the rest of the time they are functional - purely subjective of course and that is my own opinion not the view of others. Trailers still cost money to make and it would appear they only really target the existing playerbase who are going to play it anyway, so it more effective to bash out a brief series of highlights that mesh together as preview that tells its own story.

2) Anet - for better or worse - do not like giving away info. They will keep as much secret as they can to maximise impact on release and minimise spoilers, however benign they may seem. One of the things it then allows them to do is watch as players pick out these fleeting details and discuss and theorycraft them (often in the lore forums where the strangest theories come out and delight the devs immensely). So they aren't giving info away on Drakkar to allow the theorycraft, to further the speculation.

So if you are expecting more, well there isn't really a whole lots of precedent from Anet to reveal further details. This is no more and no less than every trailer for an episode and to be honest, they are generally always well received enough that Anet has no real reason to adjust what they put in them.

You're absolutely right, they don't have to. It should would be reassuring if they did though. Otherwise I'm just going to expect more of the same and assume the worst. All I have to base my expectations off of is my past experience and if they can't reassure me "it will be better" then I'm just going to be pessimistic about it.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I mean theres the look of drakkar the look of the armor the look of the weapons and the new mastery you can give feedback on.

@Rukia.9860 said:My favorite part was the cringe-god braham becoming a chosen norn of prophecy LUL

Does that mean he might get his limbs cut/burnt and put into a suit of armor? Sorry, I just got that thought for a moment.

On the trailer itself, well...ArenaNet still makes them look good at least. The new weapons look interesting, the armor not so much, but it's there. I am a bit curious how Drakkar's changed from the other magics getting into it, and if it might try talking to us as well (It was the one that turned Svanir after all, if I remember my lore right).

One slight nitpick is that Braham's eyes are green in the close up of his face. Now, maybe my memory's a bit bad, but I'm pretty sure he had blue eyes like his mother. Then again, I've seen this be a thing since HoT.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:

What I want? New gameplay mechanics, profession changes (it doesn't have to be especs, but some kind of additions), unique masteries that are not just "keys" to chests/portals.

Software Dev here - you can't get brand new things every release. It would leave no time for anything else and would create the content and feature wastelands that most MMOs have today (WoW Garrisons, Class Halls, Ancient Weapons, etc). A ton of dev work is also never, ever seen by the users/players themselves as it's things behind the scenes:

• Critical Bug fixes that they identify during development and fix before players have to run into them.
  • Testing to try and find more bugs that they don't know about yet.
  • Foundation for future content, features, mechanics.
  • Non-functional changes (I.E. changes that don't actually change anything, but just clean up or simplify existing code)
  • And much more..... in addition to the content itself (Instances, Achievement "Quests", Map content, etc).

What I see people wanting all the time:

1. New Raids
  2. New + Longer Story/Map content
  3. New unique Masteries
  4. New Mechanics
  5. New Fractals
  6. Existing content to not be made obsolete by new content
  7. Profession Changes/Elite Specs
  8. Stabilization of Engine/move to DX12/Vulkan

Problem is that

• 4 conflicts with both #6 and #7

• 3 conflicts with #6

• 1 and #5 don't conflict but aren't necessarily in tandem with #2

• 8 is such a monumental task that it conflicts with them all.

Basically there are 8 things up there (no counting WvW and PvP)..... pick 3 of them and compare them with the other thousands to millions of active players.... how many of us share the same content priorities. (This is a common saying in Software Dev/Systems Admin: "You want faster, cheaper, and secure? You can only have 2")

Point is, they prioritize work based on the data they have about players combined with the direction they want to take the game. They have far more data about what players want/do than any of us ever will. Just because there's a vocal group online, doesn't mean the entire game is falling over.

As an aside, I'm not too keen on brand new mechanics anyway. Why would I want to NOT play my profession just to mess with some shiny mechanic that will only be around for a 1-2 maps.