Please do not give Braham the "I WIN" button!

Josiah.2967

This new video has me so flustered. This guy is useless. He's like the abusive drunk we keep around....but don't know why.

Nothing can redeem him. Please do not give him an "I Win" power/ability. If his ability makes me feel useless, or if I am dependent on him... I'm out.

Jerk let me die in a couple story missions, and was such a pain against spiders. This was on top of his incessant whining. All will be forgiven if Anet let's me punch him in the face. Would play that arc several times with relish. Only then will I accept him as a hero and suitable companion. Just hope he doesn't go all dark and I have to put him down.

• Like 1

So far my main annoyance is that he's suddenly a special norn of prophecy despite not being a "true norn". Granted, I'm sure it could be argued that the Commander is kinda in that position as well now, but we've more or less earned our chosen one status by this point.

I've more or less gotten over his problems from before, though they leave inconsistencies. His angry brooding phase would've made more sense back in HoT when/shortly after Eir was killed, not after we more or less avenged her twice.

His sudden fear of spiders in Kormir's Refuge (or whatever it was called) made no sense because he fought spiders with us in Bitterfrost Frontier and didn't even notice a difference between them and everything else in there (maybe his emo brooding phase overrode his fear?..meh.)

I still think he shouldn't have been Eir's son from the start, even though I more or less tolerate his presence now.

I think the implication is that no Norn are true Norn anymore, like all the races (except Sylvari, who are new), time has watered them down, they've forgotten their true ways and their true purposes which are only followed by the most devout now.

Braham isn't special at all, he's just an average Norn..look around, they're everywhere, mostly just like him.

I have a feeling this saga will mostly be about the Charr and the Norn "getting back in the saddle".

I’ve seen complaints on the forums about our character being The Commander Who Can Overcome Every Challenge And Slay Dragons and Gods (or sentiments to that effect). Maybe ANet has taken this to heart and Braham is going to become the Commander in our stead and our character will be second in command, or third after Taimi, and will follow him around and take his orders.

We have to remember that Brahm was written the way he was on purpose, to make us feel a certain way, and that the writers are probably seeing this reaction as proof of good writing. I don't think it is, because i know there was a definite misandrist leaning in a now-ex writer. I'm hoping they can transform his previously badly-written character into something more akin to rytlock or rox so that we can have a believable male character we can give credit to. The problem is that he has no parental role-models, and norn are too culturally proud to accept the wisdom of others.

@Funky.4861 said:We have to remember that Brahm was written the way he was on purpose, to make us feel a certain way, and that the writers are probably seeing this reaction as proof of good writing. I don't think it is, because i know there was a definite misandrist leaning in a now-ex writer. I'm hoping they can transform his previously badly-written character into something more akin to rytlock or rox so that we can have a believable male character we can give credit to. The problem is that he has no parental role-models, and norn are too culturally proud to accept the wisdom of others.

Im glad anet wrote him to be completely so anti Norn that hes become little more than a large whinny teenage human. Hes gotten a little better, but after the way he acted in LS3, and the few appearances he had in POF and LS4 i will never again want him in any story instances. I would honestly prefer if he was replaced with Canach for the rest of the game than have him be present, he was written that poorly for to long.

The problem is not his lack of parental role-models, Norn are supposed to be strong on their own, and try to outdo their parents legacy after their parents pass. The problem is they threw all the lore they wrote for how Norn deal with things out the window when it came to his actions.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Funky.4861 said:We have to remember that Brahm was written the way he was on purpose, to make us feel a certain way, and that the writers are probably seeing this reaction as proof of good writing. I don't think it is, because i know there was a definite misandrist leaning in a now-ex writer. I'm hoping they can transform his previously badly-written character into something more akin to rytlock or rox so that we can have a believable male character we can give credit to. The problem is that he has no parental role-models, and norn are too culturally proud to accept the wisdom of others.

Im glad anet wrote him to be completely so anti Norn that hes become little more than a large whinny teenage human. Hes gotten a little better, but after the way he acted in LS3, and the few appearances he had in POF and LS4 i will never again want him in any story instances. I would honestly prefer if he was replaced with Canach for the rest of the game than have him be present, he was written that poorly for to long.

The problem is not his lack of parental role-models, Norn are supposed to be strong on their own, and try to outdo their parents legacy after their parents pass. The problem is they threw all the lore they wrote for how Norn deal with things out the window when it came to his actions.

You don't seem to understand the character very well, or the effects on someone who has lost their biological parents (especially with a complex family history). And generalizing how Norn are supposed to be and react is another problem you have. Do you also generalize about X race or culture in RL? Do you not see people as individuals, or do you assume that every member of X race or culture is supposed to be and think the exact same?

Braham is awful, but it's not his fault. I'm sure whoever designed him as a character had the best of intentions just like all the characters in the game. GW2 has a briiliantly diverse list of characters from all walks of life, with their own agendas and stories.

It is so unfortunate then, that the writing in the game continues to be such a monsterous let down. The characters are reduced to angsty teenage hero caricatures over and over again. We've seen it with Destiny's Edge's childish bickering. We've seen it with Taimi's constant desire to be recognised. We've seen it with Braham being a little biatch. So far the only character I haven't wanted to punch in the face over and over again is Canuck, because he does all the things I wish my character would do.

I don’t get why people are SO unforgiving of the way he acted, like he hasn’t been annoying the entire time! Just mostly in 3. In 4 he was much better, I like him a good bit now.

And people are complaining he’s whiny in the new episode from November? He feels bad that he left his guild here and most/all of them are dead or corrupted. Geez, you DONT expect him to feel bad about that? If he didn’t people would just say he has no emotions and it was a missed opportunity

@Fenom.9457 said:I don’t get why people are SO unforgiving of the way he acted, like he hasn’t been annoying the entire time!

That's actually what's so annoying about the character: He does a dumb thing, he repents, then he immediately does something else that makes you lose all faith in his ability to redeem himself or stick to his guns.

This cycle of abandoning/hurting the commander (and others) and then crawling back to them later becomes a joke after a while, and a bad one at that. I feel the only thing Braham really offers to the story is the idea that it's okay for someone to continually make poor choices and/or abuse you if something sad happened to them and that you're not a good person if you don't forgive them every time.

Some people say he's realistic and that he's meant to be this way, but I don't see that as a defense when talking about the value of the character in the narrative. There are plenty of people like Braham in real life who will continually take you for granted and then beg for forgiveness later, and I don't need them in my life's story either.