Infinite patch download

Maybe someone here will recognize the problem. Anet seems to be busy at the moment so I'll ask here.

I have a really slow network. Like, crazy slow. So I expect patches to take a few hours because of I have to use a mobile hot spot to play the game. Trust me on this I can't get anything else out here, I hate it and it is as awful as it sounds. So The problem I'm having is that I got to 99% done of the patch but the last 2 files will not patch. I left it to patch for over 24 hours and tried restarting my computer, changed my firewall settings and even checked the files. 99% of the patch is done and those 2 files are the only ones that I need to download, and it still wont download them no matter what I do. The Bulk of the patch is done, but for some reason the patch will not download those last 2 files. I can't uninstall the game and reinstall it because that would go way over my data cap limit which would mean I wouldn't be able to play the game anyway.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Please explain it in simple terms that even I can understand. I'm not great with computers.

Other Notes on what's going on with it. Whenever I try to do the first story Instance of the new living world, when the cut scene starts Faren the game hard freezes and I have to log out to shut the program down. I can play the game, barely. Its extremely lagy and drops connection constantly which I know is partly the fault of my service, but not all of it.

Another thing to note is I did replace my Motherboard not too long ago because it died. So I don't know if that would impact it, but the new motherboard hasn't seemed to change anything else. I still have all my old files even.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Try using a VPN; that often solves the "won't download the last file(s)" issue.It may also help with your connection issues.You can read more about connection issues in the Knowledge Base accessed via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Search - Connection'.

Good luck.

VPN didn't work. I tried a couple of them and at best they did nothing at worse they made it impossible for me to hot spot.

Some more Details. When trying to download those 2 files, it doesn't stop of course but it also keeps saying "Downloading: x MB" x being however long I've left the client to try and download. When I left it on for a few hours it got up to almost 2,000 MB for those 2 files. Not sure what that's supposed to mean when I have 99% of the patch.

Delete the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/ and all gw2cache folders under %temp%. Launch GW2 using the option:-assetsrv 54.165.179.150

The above IP changes regularly, so if 54.165.179.150 fails to connect, lookup the IP yourself using a command prompt:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

If that fails, open a command prompt as an administrator (WindowsKey+X) and enter the following commands:netsh winsock resetnetsh int ip reset

... then open msconfig (WindowsKey+R), select the boot tab and check safe boot with networking under it, then OK and reboot. Under safe mode, repeat the first line. To return to normal, open msconfig and uncheck safe boot. If you had no connection under safe mode, the alternative is using msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup programs, then rebooting and disabling your security software if its still active.

If that still fails, repeat the first line with a VPN. If the VPN still fails, ensure GW2 is actually going through it. If multiple different VPNs fail, you likely have software blocking GW2's downloads, but if none of the above got it, it's deeply into your system. As an alternative to a VPN, you can try my launcher, which has a built-in asset server proxy, allowing you to see what is actually happening, as well as the option to use a secure connection which normally isn't supported.

@"Lily.1935" said:Some more Details. When trying to download those 2 files, it doesn't stop of course but it also keeps saying "Downloading: x MB" x being however long I've left the client to try and download. When I left it on for a few hours it got up to almost 2,000 MB for those 2 files. Not sure what that's supposed to mean when I have 99% of the patch.

It's constantly retrying to download those 2 files, hence the the amount downloaded increasing. If the connection is dropped while downloading or the fully downloaded file is corrupted, it'll simply retry the download. Generally this problem has been caused by other software you have running, your ISP, or anything else in-between that manipulates web traffic.

@"Healix.5819" said:Delete the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/ and all gw2cache folders under %temp%. Launch GW2 using the option:-assetsrv 54.165.179.150

The above IP changes regularly, so if 54.165.179.150 fails to connect, lookup the IP yourself using a command prompt:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

If that fails, open a command prompt as an administrator (WindowsKey+X) and enter the following commands:netsh winsock resetnetsh int ip reset

... then open msconfig (WindowsKey+R), select the boot tab and check safe boot with networking under it, then OK and reboot. Under safe mode, repeat the first line. To return to normal, open msconfig and uncheck safe boot. If you had no connection under safe mode, the alternative is using msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup programs, then rebooting and disabling your security software if its still active.

If that still fails, repeat the first line with a VPN. If the VPN still fails, ensure GW2 is actually going through it. If multiple different VPNs fail, you likely have software blocking GW2's downloads, but if none of the above got it, it's deeply into your system. As an alternative to a VPN, you can try my launcher, which has a built-in asset server proxy, allowing you to see what is actually happening, as well as the option to use a secure connection which normally isn't supported.

@"Lily.1935" said:Some more Details. When trying to download those 2 files, it doesn't stop of course but it also keeps saying "Downloading: x MB" x being however long I've left the client to try and download. When I left it on for a few hours it got up to almost 2,000 MB for those 2 files. Not sure what that's supposed to mean when I have 99% of the patch.

It's constantly retrying to download those 2 files, hence the the amount downloaded increasing. If the connection is dropped while downloading or the fully downloaded file is corrupted, it'll simply retry the download. Generally this problem has been caused by other software you have running, your ISP, or anything else in-between that manipulates web traffic.

It seems to be a network issue. I will have to get a new phone this weekend as I think this is the problem. It worked when I took the computer to a friend's place. Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

@"Healix.5819" said:Delete the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/ and all gw2cache folders under %temp%. Launch GW2 using the option:-assetsrv 54.165.179.150

Thanks a lot ! i've been trying to full download the client since 2 day, (can play, but the full client missing some 250k file) and don't understand why the file don't decrease while the dowload inscrease... and with your manipulation, it WORK ! the file download again ! (even if the ip really isn't the same now, with your nslookup command you can always find the good one)

@sirennya.3692 said:

If that still fails, repeat the first line with a VPN. If the VPN still fails, ensure GW2 is actually going through it. If multiple different VPNs fail, you likely have software blocking GW2's downloads, but if none of the above got it, it's deeply into your system. As an alternative to a VPN, you can try
, which has a built-in asset server proxy, allowing you to see what is actually happening, as well as the option to use a secure connection which normally isn't supported.

Thanks a lot ! i've been trying to full download the client since 2 day, (can play, but the full client missing some 250k file) and don't understand why the file don't decrease while the dowload inscrease... and with your manipulation, it WORK ! the file download again ! (even if the ip really isn't the same now, with your nslookup command you can always find the good one)

Was gonna return to gw2 and this issue pops up, such a bummer. Made 180 turn and downloaded classic wow instead, shame anet. Shouldn't have to do these kind of work arounds just to play your damn game.