Linking GW1 account?

Batel.9206

I have a rather silly question...bear with me? :) (Also, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong section.)

I bought GW1 and all its campaigns/DLC (including Eye of the North, which I've made sure was activated for my account) over a year ago, and I've linked my GW1 and GW2 accounts. I've yet to actually play GW1, however - I was waiting to do so with a friend. Now...it's said on the wiki page that three Hall of Monuments points are awarded just by linking accounts. By that logic, I should see a few Heritage armor rewards from Kimmes the Historian, but when I head to the HoM, there's nothing. Kimmes just tells me the usual you-can-only-get-this-in-GW1 spiel: "Only an ancient hero can quest for this glory."

Now, here's my problem with this. I would follow instructions on the GW2 wiki page on the matter to complete the link between accounts, but I'm confused. A friend of mine created a GW1 character some time ago, but then deleted it before it had even left pre-Searing. Her rewards for linking accounts in the GW2 HoM (the first few pieces of Heritage armor) were still unlocked, even though she had never visited the Eye of the North in GW1. So, what should I do? Should I level a GW1 character so it can go to the Eye of the North (I have no idea how to even get there!) and talk to Kimmes there, and will that link both accounts? Or will just creating a character and talking to Kimmes in pre-Searing Ascalon City work for completing the link?

...or am I being a complete bookah and there's something else I'm missing entirely?

I'm not sure at what point exactly the rewards show up, but talking to Kimmes seems a likely one.

You have a golden opportunity to experiment! Try to create a character but don't talk to Kimmes, then check GW2 the next day (or at least a couple hours later).

Personally, I would try a couple things other than Kimmes first, like leaving pre-searing with that character without ever talking to Kimmes, starting a character in another campaign etc, before making a new pre-searing character and talking to Kimmes; but I understand if you want your stuff as as possible :p

The Hall of Monuments only updates when you log out of GW1. I suspect you have to at least log into the game and then out again for it to send the initial data that you've linked an account with GW1.

To be safe I recommend logging in, creating a character in Prophecies, talking to Kimmes in pre-searing, logging out, logging into GW2 and then checking with Kimmes in the GW2 hall. But if you want to experiment with exactly when it recognises your account you could start with just logging in and then out and keept checking at each step to see what does it...although that would take a lot more time.

(And incidentally if you want to start collecting other HoM points then I agree Nightfall is a better starting point, you get some heroes right away which makes everything else easier.)

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone!! I got it to work!

I did what you suggested, Danikat and Tanner - I created a character in Prophecies and, to test it, logged out without talking to Kimmes. I checked in GW2 and - success! Kimmes finally gives me the time of day and some nice fancy clothes. I do find it odd that he talks about knowing a great hero when all my "hero" has done is poof into existence, look around, coo at how pretty Ascalon City is, and narrowly avoid ramming into the side of a building (...I didn't realize clicking on the ground in GW1 makes your character head over there). Ancient Ascalonian standards of heroism are...interesting. :tongue:

My little fashionista of a mesmer is absolutely thrilled. (Kimmes, on the other hand, looks decidedly unimpressed. Maybe he doesn't approve of squee'ing plant creatures who have a skritt-like attraction to shiny things?)

ytex0Sm.jpg