Alliance vs New World

pukish.5784

@bigo.9037 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:So what we see in the video - dodge then instakill.

Sounds like WvWers might love it, no one ever complains about instakills.

(and yes that kind of damage actually matches whats seen in earlier video, if you thought rapid fire was bad in NW clips a bow autoattack seemed to take 50%+ hp).

Edit: oh and if they now got opt in open world... lol.

Bruh. Run toughness. There's dmg reduction food. Stop running 0 toughness builds and complain about other people's dmg....Well that was pointless. Because you clearly dont know how I run my builds.

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Companies will declare War on territories they wish to take over, draft a roster of 50 combatants, and agree on timing for the battle. The War will take place on a protected battlefield, keeping anyone who isn’t confirmed to participate, out.

Excuse me good sir! (or madam)

I hereby declare that I desire to conquer and colonize your lands. I am led to understand that you oppose this action.

Please do me the honor of meeting on the field of battle Tuesday afternoon at 4pm server time so that we might resolve this conflict.

Cordially,No one.

You mock, but that is an anti-offline-raiding/anti-nightcapping mechanic. And it isn't even the part that people interested in NW are complaining about because it's a good mechanic. How many complaints about nightcapping have there been in this game for years now?Has this type of mechanic
ever
worked in a western MMO? No really, I'm wondering. Because I find it horrible and something that only caters to elitist guilds that has the massive manpower to back it up. Thats how Archeage worked in its endgame "WvW zone" and it was a shit mechanic.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Companies will declare War on territories they wish to take over, draft a roster of 50 combatants, and agree on timing for the battle. The War will take place on a protected battlefield, keeping anyone who isn’t confirmed to participate, out.

I hereby declare that I desire to conquer and colonize your lands. I am led to understand that you oppose this action.

Please do me the honor of meeting on the field of battle Tuesday afternoon at 4pm server time so that we might resolve this conflict.

Cordially,No one.

You mock, but that is an anti-offline-raiding/anti-nightcapping mechanic. And it isn't even the part that people interested in NW are complaining about because it's a good mechanic. How many complaints about nightcapping have there been in this game for years now?Has this type of mechanic
ever
worked in a western MMO? No really, I'm wondering. Because I find it horrible and something that only caters to elitist guilds that has the massive manpower to back it up. Thats how Archeage worked in its endgame "WvW zone" and it was a kitten mechanic.

Well I never played ArcheAge so I couldn't tell you, but it worked perfectly fine in the alpha. Everyone knew the time to gather and could prepare ahead of time for it, not like here where you can spend 30m hunting for another group to fight. The fights were epic. I'm also not understanding what the mechanic has to do with elitist guilds. Each side can have up to 50 players only and it doesn't sound like it means they all have to be from your guild so you can't snowball fights with numbers (which is a change from the alpha). FYI the most successful guilds were those that were highly organized, not necessarily the most skilled at PvP.

@"hunkamania.7561" said:

Looking more care bear than GW2 lol. Who would buy this game if there's no dungeons/raids and it's opt in pvp? What does this game do the best? It's garbage

They basically said 50v50 gvg + open world organized pvp (gvg). So basically, it already has better pvp than GW2. We'll have to see about how the combat is at release though.

@Justine.6351 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:So what we see in the video - dodge then instakill.

(and yes that kind of damage actually matches whats seen in earlier video, if you thought rapid fire was bad in NW clips a bow autoattack seemed to take 50%+ hp).

Bruh. Run toughness. There's dmg reduction food. Stop running 0 toughness builds and complain about other people's dmg....

Glass cannons blowing up other glass cannons who are trying to blow up other players but it's not fair somehow rofl ;-)

But players facetanking eachother... much big skillz.

Because having 3k+ armor is glass, while still taking 10k dmg by an aoe skill. Yep, sure is a fun experience. And also very, very skillful to kill someone in a 50 man zerg, randomly, because he was unlucky enough to get hit by 2 10k dmg skills in 1 sec.

Reeeee my amazing 3k armor build takes damage from a damage dealer reeeee. All I should have to do is stack toughness and nobody hurts me anymore!

Did aegis, protection, barrier, -10% damage food and corrupting might to weakness suddenly fall out of usage? You're the zerg master so you will have to tell me.

Balanced StanceDefy PainLast Stand

All big damage reduction too

Ugh, i guess no real point in arguing with you.

First you say, "oh so weird to take dmg when 2 glasscannons hit each other"Which would be understandable and right.But now you are saying its ok for glasscannons to nuke the living kitten out of tanks. Wow.

I might be a warrior main, but im speaking for all classes that its not okey to eat 10k and more in a single hit when running 3k+ armor.

You might be a roamer, and dont want to have anything to do with zergs, but do you not understand how "fun" it is to run amidst 50 ppl against other 50 and just randomly die in a mere second because you were unlucky? It has nothing to do with skill or boons etc, if 2 or 3 skills hits you for 10k each you are dead meat.

They need to seriously reduce the dmg, the healing, the corrupts and the boon application in the game. Might even help the servers to run more stable, with less lag.

And i hate to break it to you, the gamemode was made for big scaled fights and should be balanced around those, not 1v1s.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Cordially,No one.

ever
worked in a western MMO? No really, I'm wondering. Because I find it horrible and something that only caters to elitist guilds that has the massive manpower to back it up. Thats how Archeage worked in its endgame "WvW zone" and it was a kitten mechanic.

Well I never played ArcheAge so I couldn't tell you, but it worked perfectly fine in the alpha. Everyone knew the time to gather and could prepare ahead of time for it, not like here where you can spend 30m hunting for another group to fight. The fights were epic. I'm also not understanding what the mechanic has to do with elitist guilds. Each side can have up to 50 players only and it doesn't sound like it means they all have to be from your guild so you can't snowball fights with numbers (which is a change from the alpha). FYI the most successful guilds were those that were highly organized, not necessarily the most skilled at PvP.You literally state how it caters to elitist guilds.

What I like by far the most with WvW is that I can just log on, join a border and play.

What this system describes is basicly dueling for guilds, not a war. Some people like that, for sure. Even in GW2 people like GvG. I also sometimes watch guilds fight it out without interfering. But I am 100% certain that if GW2 only had GvG with an entrance cap of 50v50 and sPvP, it would have failed long ago and none of us would be here to discuss this.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Bruh. Run toughness. There's dmg reduction food. Stop running 0 toughness builds and complain about other people's dmg....

Glass cannons blowing up other glass cannons who are trying to blow up other players but it's not fair somehow rofl ;-)

Because having 3k+ armor is glass, while still taking 10k dmg by an aoe skill. Yep, sure is a fun experience. And also very, very skillful to kill someone in a 50 man zerg, randomly, because he was unlucky enough to get hit by 2 10k dmg skills in 1 sec.

Reeeee my amazing 3k armor build takes damage from a damage dealer reeeee. All I should have to do is stack toughness and nobody hurts me anymore!

Did aegis, protection, barrier, -10% damage food and corrupting might to weakness suddenly fall out of usage? You're the zerg master so you will have to tell me.

First you say, "oh so weird to take dmg when 2 glasscannons hit each other"Which would be understandable and right.But now you are saying its ok for glasscannons to nuke the living kitten out of tanks. Wow.

I might be a warrior main, but im speaking for all classes that its not okey to eat 10k and more in a single hit when running 3k+ armor.

You might be a roamer, and dont want to have anything to do with zergs, but do you not understand how "fun" it is to run amidst 50 ppl against other 50 and just randomly die in a mere second because you were unlucky? It has nothing to do with skill or boons etc, if 2 or 3 skills hits you for 10k each you are dead meat.

They need to seriously reduce the dmg, the healing, the corrupts and the boon application in the game. Might even help the servers to run more stable, with less lag.

And i hate to break it to you, the gamemode was made for big scaled fights and should be balanced around those, not 1v1s.

Okay,well let me know when they chop down on the facetanking because if damage nerfs comes first this game is going to get super boring really fast.

and btw,its ok for a player to just slap on some toughness stat gear and become tanky but if I slap on full 3 stat power gear, runes, sigils, trait lines and build up might I should do mediocre damage? Toughness should never reduce damage by more than like 25%.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Cordially,No one.

ever

Well I never played ArcheAge so I couldn't tell you, but it worked perfectly fine in the alpha. Everyone knew the time to gather and could prepare ahead of time for it, not like here where you can spend 30m hunting for another group to fight. The fights were epic. I'm also not understanding what the mechanic has to do with elitist guilds. Each side can have up to 50 players only and it doesn't sound like it means they all have to be from your guild so you can't snowball fights with numbers (which is a change from the alpha). FYI the most successful guilds were those that were highly organized, not necessarily the most skilled at PvP.You literally state how it caters to elitist guilds.

What I like by far the most with WvW is that I can just log on, join a border and play.

What this system describes is basicly dueling for guilds, not a war. Some people like that, for sure. Even in GW2 people like GvG. I also sometimes watch guilds fight it out without interfering. But I am 100% certain that if GW2 only had GvG with an entrance cap of 50v50 and sPvP, it would have failed long ago and none of us would be here to discuss this.

You literally don't explain what you mean by elitist guilds. It's now elitist to be organized and a team player? What?! I thought elitism was not making rank on the dps meter in a PvE raid. And who are you to define what War is in a different game? NW was never an RvR game and isn't supposed to be one. Don't you get that? You can't simply log in to get carried by your realm. But you'll be happy to know that you can avoid all PvP in NW now.

Sounds like to me all they're doing is basically implementing a battleground feature to fight over territory, you bring 50 I bring 50 back of the school yard at 3pm and everyone else stays out till it's done while maintaining an open world. It could be good for organized groups/guilds maybe even pug groups, and it does away with run away points and overnight ktrains, if they were even playing for points anyways. It could be interesting, there could be hurdles still like waiting around to gather 100 people to battle it out, but I still prefer the 3 way wvw system, as broken as it is (mostly due to a point system). Also 3 way fighting over smc till 1am est last night, despite skill lag is still the best random fun.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Cordially,No one.

ever

You literally don't explain what you mean by elitist guilds. It's now elitist to be organized and a team player? What?! I thought elitism was not making rank on the dps meter in a PvE raid. And who are you to define what War is in a different game? NW was never an RvR game and isn't supposed to be one. Don't you get that? You can't simply log in to get carried by your realm. But you'll be happy to know that you can avoid all PvP in NW now.Putting a cap on guild fights by definition leads to elitism. Why? Because you have to throw those that dont cut it out. Imagine if you had a 500 man GW2 guild. Great, you got a good sized guild. And now you're joining a 50vs50 instance. Well, not you. Sorry, but you're just not good enough. We need the 50 best in the guild. Not you. All spots taken. You failed on the dps meter the last time. You could join another guild of course, that casual pleb guild that never wins any battleground maybe.

That's basicly what this kind of system leads to and you damn well know it. That's how all restricted arena games caters to elitist guilds. Or hell, elitists players period. We're even seeing it in GW2, with commanders yelling at roamers to get the fuck out off the border so that they can get more minstrel guards in, because if they cant beat the enemy with 80 people on tag maybe they can with 83 (yet "we only hure fur teh balanced non blub figights!").

Will New World be good or bad? I havent a clue. I want to see it to believe it. Maybe it will be good. They'll have to prove themselves. Maybe I'll even play it.

I never defined what war is in a different game - I said that this system does not describe a war. It really doesnt any more than a 1v1 duel can be described as a "campaign". It described a limited and announced beforehand 50vs50 invite only instance. It's a battlefield at best. Whether you want to say its a war anyway is up to you.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Cordially,No one.

ever

You literally don't explain what you mean by elitist guilds. It's now elitist to be organized and a team player? What?! I thought elitism was not making rank on the dps meter in a PvE raid. And who are you to define what War is in a different game? NW was never an RvR game and isn't supposed to be one. Don't you get that? You can't simply log in to get carried by your realm. But you'll be happy to know that you can avoid all PvP in NW now.Putting a cap on guild fights by definition leads to elitism. Why? Because you have to throw those that dont cut it out. Imagine if you had a 500 man GW2 guild. Great, you got a good sized guild. And now you're joining a 50vs50 instance. Well, not you. Sorry, but you're just not good enough. We need the 50 best in the guild. Not you. All spots taken. You failed on the dps meter the last time. You could join another guild of course, that casual pleb guild that never wins any battleground maybe.

That's basicly what this kind of system leads to and you kitten well know it. That's how all restricted arena games caters to elitist guilds. Or hell, elitists players period. We're even seeing it in GW2, with commanders yelling at roamers to get the kitten out off the border so that they can get more minstrel guards in, because if they cant beat the enemy with 80 people on tag maybe they can with 83 (yet
"we only hure fur teh balanced non blub figights!"
).

Will New World be good or bad? I havent a clue. I want to see it to believe it. Maybe it will be good. They'll have to prove themselves. Maybe I'll even play it.

I never
defined
what war is in a different game - I said that this
system
does not
describe
a war. It really doesnt any more than a 1v1 duel can be described as a "campaign". It described a limited and announced beforehand 50vs50 invite only instance. It's a battlefield at best. Whether you want to say its a war anyway is up to you.I think you guys are overlooking something in your argument. That is that one thing does not necessarily exclude the other. Nore does it discourage the other. Instead, it can encourage the other. This game has had a GvG scene for over six years despite it never really being supported by development. Occassionally even pickup groups have done (pre-) organized 50v50 (ie., dropping the squads into OS or meeting up at border southcamp). Similarily, in games like EVE there have been official tournaments for 15 years while the game maintains the largest PvP sandbox in the world. Even in online games that are not of the massive department there are games that have already had that specific mode (ie., a "risk" style mode) for ages, like WoT which has it as multiple optional modes with- and without seasons without deterring from the more casual or day-to-day PvP aspects of the game. Instead people play those modes for a few contests every other day and then spends the rest of their time in the normal grind or they are tournaments or they are seasonal.

So the whole "you know what such systems lead to" argument is disproven by just looking at some other popular and long-running online titles.

I've made that argument plenty of times by now: that I believe that WvW is losing out because it does not have something that drives people to create guilds with guild-oriented goals on the side since the vast majority of commanders that I have followed for the past 7 years have all learnt the ropes in guilds. From closed guild groups to open guild groups to unsupported public commanding. That is how they have all learnt the trade and built up the necessary reputation. The content loss that WvW has seen lately is not due to players, it is due to commanders. There has obviously been some players loss but there has been rather drastic commander loss. Servers die when singular players (and their guilds) move to another server. That's how severe it has become. Commanders are sparse because guilds are sparse, not because players are sparse. Commanders are bred by guilds, commanders need guild-mates to grow and commanders want guild-mates to be able to lead in a fun, interesting and challenging manner. The other players are merely along for the ride.

This is what is causing server stacking and spiralling migrations today. The reasons have changed.

That's why goals for guilds are important for public commanding. That is second only to the very important aspect that Alliances provides: That people can play with their friends in the first place, maintain their guilds and start new guilds without getting milked for gems. That is the fundamental importance of Alliances now. After that it is a question of giving guilds some sort of tangible goals and then giving servers some sort of tangible goals.

However, some simple GvG is probably alot easier to implement than some sort of risk-style guild-siege mode and easily as effective as it already has a community core with systems in place (that was rather wasted on the Moba back in HoT). If you allow a quick tangent that I have alluded to elsewhere in the past: If you watch Teapot's talkshow for example, you will sometimes see Roy. Roy is not on that show because he's a friend of Teapot's. He is on that show because he has run the GvG tournaments and runs the GvG discord. The GvG discord has thousands of members on it. It has an average online count up towards 500 players. That is something that you can put in comparison to GW2 Reddit which has an average peak online count of 1000-1500 players. The GW2 Reddit is arguably more active than these forums: The forums in total, not just the WvW forums. I think that is something for the people who frequent here to consider. The GvG discord has alot more people on it than the WvW forum, it has more active people on it, more experienced people on it and more people who do stuff, like commanding.

Also, Anet has not always catered to the anonymous, unaffiliated and uninvested player even if they have always had an eye on the inclusive and casual. However, the perspective we see today is not older than PoF and early communication tend to talk about the complete opposite even if they may never really have lived up to what they have said. If you listen to the HoT presentation by Colin the Moba system was meant for guilds (with guild ladders and guild competition). It was just that nobody wanted to play Moba. The guild hall was obviously meant for guilds it was just that it was misdirected in its design (PvE physics, small-sized area), had a handful of bugs that made it annoying (players getting split over overflows zoning in and out for ages to get on the same instance) and then left to rot. So while they have never really supported the GvG scene or accomplished much in terms of goals for guilds they have beaten around the bush a couple of times over the years with undecisive arena attempts, some guild upgrades and missions, the Moba mode, some sPvP maps (and the recent TDM tournaments) etc. It's just that in typical Anet fashion they have wanted to do it "their own way", not like players are requesting, they have been rather undecisive and have let alot of things rot without fixes or iteration. Point being, saying that this was always just primarily PvE, for anonymous casuals, for playing "alone together" or that it has always been intended as it is, that is downright wrong and can easily be disproven by something as mundane as browsing through Youtube, running a couple of searches on Google or knowing where to look on this very website.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:

Cordially,No one.

ever

But remember, I responded to coro about the scheduling mechanic originally, not the numbers limitation. You implied that the scheduling mechanic favors elitism. I can see the problem with the numbers limitation, but not the scheduling.

Guild size is 50, which is why they're throwing around the number 50 for sieges. In alpha though anyone could participate in another's war if you turned on criminal intent, which they removed. The crime system was part of the disincentives to PK. In wars, allied guilds and other randoms would show up and risk the crime punishment (as well as friendly fire) to help out.

@Justine.6351 said:

Okay,well let me know when they chop down on the facetanking because if damage nerfs comes first this game is going to get super boring really fast.

and btw,its ok for a player to just slap on some toughness stat gear and become tanky but if I slap on full 3 stat power gear, runes, sigils, trait lines and build up might I should do mediocre damage? Toughness should never reduce damage by more than like 25%.

I just tested out a buld were im seriously running 3.2k armor and 36k hp, i was at 50% health which still is 18000hp!! I was hit by 2 phase smashes, one hit for 8k+ and one hit for 10k+ and i went down. In under 1 second.

Now most ppl dont run that much hp at all, most build across the board have like 20k hp max. And most builds will never realisticly reach 36k.Now tell me what those ppl are supposed to do...

Like i said, not just dmg has to be toned down, but everything else too.Now if they tone down dmg first, and then later on healing, im totaly fine with having some time inbetween wete nothing rly dies... Because they are still on the right path. Better fixing stuff slowly, than not fixing it at all

@RedShark.9548 said:

I just tested out a buld were im seriously running 3.2k armor and 36k hp, i was at 50% health which still is 18000hp!! I was hit by 2 phase smashes, one hit for 8k+ and one hit for 10k+ and i went down. In under 1 second.

Now most ppl dont run that much hp at all, most build across the board have like 20k hp max. And most builds will never realisticly reach 36k.Now tell me what those ppl are supposed to do...

Like i said, not just dmg has to be toned down, but everything else too.Now if they tone down dmg first, and then later on healing, im totaly fine with having some time inbetween wete nothing rly dies... Because they are still on the right path. Better fixing stuff slowly, than not fixing it at all

barrier, damage reduction, might corruption, dodge, push, move.

@Justine.6351 said:

Because you can keep those reliably up... , in a 50 vs 50.Nope, its more like a gamble. Gambling was never something i enjoyed much.You like 2shots, i dont, ima head out.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Because you can keep those reliably up... , in a 50 vs 50.Nope, its more like a gamble. Gambling was never something i enjoyed much.You like 2shots, i dont, ima head out.Well, yes. Those things and much, much more can be reliably kept up in a 50v50.

Well except the dodge, push and move part. You have to do something for yourself.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Because you can keep those reliably up... , in a 50 vs 50.Nope, its more like a gamble. Gambling was never something i enjoyed much.You like 2shots, i dont, ima head out.Well, yes. Those things and much, much more can be reliably kept up in a 50v50.

Well except the dodge, push and move part. You have to do
something
for yourself.

The amount of boonrip and reapplication is way out of controll.Boons like protection are not reliable, because just like the dmg ive talked about before you can just get unlucky and get everything ripped constantly, while the guy next to you isnt getting any.

Sure 10% food etc are always on you, but even with that you eat 10k+ dmg.

Im not even sure why im arguing with you guys, for my taste getting downed by skills that deal 10k+ dmg, while having 20-30k hp is just not fun in my book. And im using all that stuff you were talking about, im not even saying that im dying alot, but when i die, its rarely because im bad positioned, its just bad luck, and thats kitten.

And yes, even with all those cute boons and buffs etc, you still can get hit by 10k hits.And the "turn might to weakness" argument justine brought up is soo bad. I wonder how the heck you corrupt someone who can cast those devestating skills from a 1200 range lol.

@RedShark.9548 said:

something
for yourself.

The amount of boonrip and reapplication is way out of controll.Boons like protection are not reliable, because just like the dmg ive talked about before you can just get unlucky and get everything ripped constantly, while the guy next to you isnt getting any.

Im not even sure why im arguing with you guys, for my taste getting downed by skills that deal 10k+ dmg, while having 20-30k hp is just not fun in my book. And im using all that stuff you were talking about, im not even saying that im dying alot, but when i die, its rarely because im bad positioned, its just bad luck, and thats kitten.

And yes, even with all those cute boons and buffs etc, you still can get hit by 10k hits.
And the "turn might to weakness" argument justine brought up is soo bad. I wonder how the heck you corrupt someone who can cast those devestating skills from a 1200 range lol.

You argue with yourself saying protection boon not reliable because corrupts but then turn around and also say corrupting might isn't realistic.There is a reason berserker scourges can and do exist despite your bogeyman hammer rev.

@Justine.6351 said:

something
for yourself.

And yes, even with all those cute boons and buffs etc, you still can get hit by 10k hits.
And the "turn might to weakness" argument justine brought up is soo bad. I wonder how the heck you corrupt someone who can cast those devestating skills from a 1200 range lol.

You argue with yourself saying protection boon not reliable because corrupts but then turn around and also say corrupting might isn't realistic.There is a reason berserker scourges can and do exist despite your bogeyman hammer rev.

??? Because as a melee you have to run through everything and get it corrupted, while the ranged dps classes can stay away and bomb you down, whats not to understand about that. Sounds like you have never played in a big zerg, honestly.