New playable race

Xar.1387

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Do I have a proof of a dev saying "no expansions"? Sadly I do notStop making the claim then.

It was an example, for the Six's sake!

This wasn't "just an example;" it was the root of the argument. This urban legend was used to illustrate the claim that ANet sometimes changes their mind after saying that they did not have plans to implement a specific, major initiative. As it turns out, not only was this one inaccurate, but so were the other examples offered.

In this particular case, ANet has explained their reasoning: it's not a good use of their resources, which are also used for Living World & Expansions, and because a new playable race would increase ongoing costs. Until that calculus changes, there's no reason for ANet to reconsider.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:So, let me get it all right;No expansions - HoT & PoF expansions.No raids - added later on after HoT exp.No mounts - PoF expansion content.No new playable races - next expansion??

Who knows really what ANet is up to and what's on the table.New races are one of the most requested content of the playerbase, it would be a shame and a bad move if ANet dont grant us this in the future.

They never said there will never be expansions; the possibility was always left open. They never said anything about mounts. They never said raids wouldn't be in the games; they always left open the possibility.

Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long. However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World, you can even look it up at the older forum.

Here’s the quote and no they never said no expansions, they actually said it’s on the table but if the Living World works out they won’t need it.

(Emphasis is mine)

“So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option," lead content designer Mike Zadorojny told me on his visit to London last week."
It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.
"I pressed him to tell me whether there would be a Guild Wars 2 expansion this year and he shook his head to indicate no. What about next year, I asked?
"If we do this right
," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy."

So, it was only if they were happy with the results of the Living World that there would be no expansions. Obviously they weren’t happy with it so they turned to expansions as their alternate choice.

If you wanna go there with me, sure.I had a screenshot ages ago, before you even popped up here in the forums 24/7, as a Dev replied to an expansion thread discussion about GW2 could need an expansion.She/he did said similar"No, we wont have expansions, we have Living World- that's our "expansion"."

Yes, they wanted to make the Living World to become their expansion system but according to themselves, it failed.I quote:

"So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option,""It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.""If we do this right," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy." lead content designer Mike Zadorojny.

Do I have a proof of a dev saying "no expansions"? Sadly I do not anymore, I could go through the older forums but wasting time on that is just irrelevant.We have expansions now, thank god, so stop beating the dead horse already.

Stop beating the dead horse? Seriously??

It was you who repeatedly and falsely claimed on this thread that the devs said that there would be no expansions when you said “However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World.” It was you said “Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long.” It was you who said “you can even look it up at the older forum.” Well I did look it up as you suggested and the quote proved you wrong. If you have an alternate quote that proves me wrong then bring it on. Otherwise stop complaining when someone brings the dev quote to the thread and stop trying to make it the other person’s fault by saying they’re “beating a dead horse” when it was you who brought it up in the first place.

• 4 months later...

add a new race that hasn't existed in tyria yet. Add new story to xplain this (something like sylvari - like how they new race, not plant people) might be with new xpansion because that makes most sense unless u can wrap it into a LSW. Lots of unexplored areas of Tyria not even played in GW1. For those of us that never played gw1 would be more emmerisve nobody having an edge over you.

• 6 months later...

You want Dwarves? go play other game. They, along with Elves, are the most generic races with only elder scroll break this generic by making them highly advanced, other just your typical loud-honor-drunk-scottish accent, they should make dredge playable instead but even then i prefer they didn't. Leave GW2 out of this generic fantasy setting of human/elves/dwarf

@Ultramex.1506 said:You want Dwarves? go play other game. They, along with Elves, are the most generic races with only elder scroll break this generic by making them highly advanced, other just your typical loud-honor-drunk-scottish accent, they should make dredge playable instead but even then i prefer they didn't. Leave GW2 out of this generic fantasy setting of human/elves/dwarf

Just show you know, said Dwarf request was eleven months ago.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:

@Ultramex.1506 said:You want Dwarves? go play other game. They, along with Elves, are the most generic races with only elder scroll break this generic by making them highly advanced, other just your typical loud-honor-drunk-scottish accent, they should make dredge playable instead but even then i prefer they didn't. Leave GW2 out of this generic fantasy setting of human/elves/dwarf

Just show you know, said Dwarf request was eleven months ago.

Still want to give my opinion should anyone find it again ;)

Won't happen not because it's not a good idea, but because it doesn't fit into the kind of stuff A-net likes to do/make.Though id prefer tengu, or the norn to get their beast forms as a customization option they could be in at all times I like this one as well. Id love for more options but clearly its just something they refuse to give us not something they "Can't" give us.

A new race would make sense - should they bring another expansion. (Which I head they weren't planning for the near future.) This could avoid too many balancing issues that adding a new profession would bring. (They still might add new elite specs cause people request it though.) Ingame there were people talking about this in my map chat at one time recently ... and they said it would not be possible because of the lore/story. (The existing races are already included in the pact plotline and adding a new race would need to change that as well - even for existing story elements.)

Making it as an unlockable race would seem like a good idea to me. Main characters with other races need to progress their story to get into contact with the new race. New race will have living story and expansion stories only available the ones that are set chronological after that point. Could start at level 80 already. Could have some new profession (if they want to add new ones) that is available to that race only at first. (+ option to unlock for other races if you do certain achievements while playing that race/profession combo).

I mean: Dwarves would be fun. Weren't they in the old GW1 - and supposed to have vanished/died? Was it confirmed that they all died - without a somehow explainabled way to bring them back that would not sound too silly/far-fetched? (Dragons and stuff also appeared "suddenly".)

Don't need Tengu. The Largos seemed interesting to me from core personal storyy where on NPC char was involed to help.

Edit: Or all the minor races that can be helped during core personal story. Let us get some of them as customizable henchman. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Linken.6345 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:I remember when development on the game was so active we were expecting a new race, now we'll be lucky if we get new specs.

When was that since I cant remember ever thinking they would add a new race.

To be fair, they did make a few changes to the Tengu borders that had people wondering. But I think it was just a terrain alteration for the beetle races. Many people thought we would never get expansions because they seemed adamantly against that business model originally, yet we wound up getting 2. So people thinking there was a hope we would get a new race didn't seem that far off.

I certainly never ruled it out, even if I didn't think it was that likely. But yeah, now it feels like an expansion/elite specs are out. Now it seems new fractals/raids are out. Maps aren't even really standard for content patches moving forward. Seems like a lot of things are losing development very rapidly.

@mindcircus.1506 said:So to properly integrate a race you would need to (among many other things):-Completely model, rig and animate two new characters.-Make every existing weapon in the game work with them properly.-Rig every existing armor set to the new model-Remodel a large number of those armor pieces to suit the new player characters-Create 9 new cultural armor sets (3 tiers times 3 weights)-Create at least one Cultural weapon set-Create a new Personal Story (at least where the story was culturally specific) until you join an order-Voice all the new story-Re-record player character dialog for every instance of the player speaking that exists, including Personal Story, Seasons 2-4, Path of Fire, and Heart of thorns . Twice

@"Xar.1387" said:Adding them to the game would bring many benefits with a relatively small amount of work.a relatively small amount of work indeed.And then you could say to all your friends who don't play GW2: "Hey come play GW2 with me. They added a race you've already played in 20 other games...only now you can do it in Tyria".

I love the story of the Dwarves in GW2 very much. It's part of the lore I enjoy more than most. I would love to see more than what we have.But a playable race is not a small way to benefit this game.

This would also lead to having new racial starter zones.

@kratan.4619 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:So to properly integrate a race you would need to (among many other things):-Completely model, rig and animate two new characters.-Make every existing weapon in the game work with them properly.-Rig every existing armor set to the new model-Remodel a large number of those armor pieces to suit the new player characters-Create 9 new cultural armor sets (3 tiers times 3 weights)-Create at least one Cultural weapon set-Create a new Personal Story (at least where the story was culturally specific) until you join an order-Voice all the new story-Re-record player character dialog for every instance of the player speaking that exists, including Personal Story, Seasons 2-4, Path of Fire, and Heart of thorns . Twice

@"Xar.1387" said:Adding them to the game would bring many benefits with a relatively small amount of work.a relatively small amount of work indeed.And then you could say to all your friends who don't play GW2: "Hey come play GW2 with me. They added a race you've already played in 20 other games...only now you can do it in Tyria".

I love the story of the Dwarves in GW2 very much. It's part of the lore I enjoy more than most. I would love to see more than what we have.But a playable race is not a small way to benefit this game.

This would also lead to having new racial starter zones.

And voice acting, and personal story lines ...