Where did the social people go?

Hello! I just came back to the game after being gone for what feels like 30 years. Everywhere i go i see tons of people everywhere but no one ever even utters a word at all. The first thing i do when i enter a zone is say "Hi" and i can count on one hand how many times someone replied. It used to be there would be people chatting /map all the time. I am just wondering what has changed? Maybe people are just not very social in this game anymore, i don't know :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on where you go. In higher level zones, in HoT zones and zones that need more communciation there is more communication. In core zones, you have a lot of higher level people who are probably talking to their guilds on voice (that's what I do) and some free to play players who can't use map chat.

I chat all day, sometimes in map chat, but mostly I'm on discord with my guild. Not sure why saying hi to a stranger in map chat gives me a better conversation than the two, three or five people in voice with me.

Some people also turn off map chat because map chat can get quite obnoxious, although that's a bad idea because people call out events in map chat some of which may interest you.

Well I guess it depends on the map. Cities are well populated, saying hey or a question get you some answers. Last day someone linked legendary and got 10+ gratz in chat. There is also ton of rpers. About the others maps dunno, I only discuss with other guildies.

I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .
" Oh hey where did you get that griffon", " Did you know you need Pof" . "Hey let me show you around" all complete bs. Sometimes i spend an hr or two just watching, also the names are strange. Feels scripted but what do i know.

Also i whispered 20 different people running around no one responded. Made the whole game feel fake , very strange.

The game is mostly single-player, hence most people don't pay much attention to the chat. Divinity's Reach and Lion's Arch are the two big exceptions, also the newest maps are sought after for the meta events. And don't forget that there is a festival at the moment, so a lot of folk are gathering in Divinity's Reach.

I'll respond to map chat if I see someone talking and have something to say. Unless it's something like a debate on real-life politics, because you can't have a decent discussion about that in a public chat channel. I don't often respond to someone just saying hi because I literally don't know what to say....other than just saying hi back, and that either leads to silence or awkward random small talk where I really don't know what to say. But if anyone asks a question or comments on something going on or whatever I'll usually respond. Although I might miss it because guild chat is busy or something's trying to eat me or whatever.

But like other people have said at this point the majority of people are probably in a guild and mainly talking to them, so map chat is mainly used for coordinating events or sharing other relevant info about the map.

@"Pancakemixx.6894" said:I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .

" Oh hey where did you get that griffon", " Did you know you need Pof" . "Hey let me show you around" all complete bs. Sometimes i spend an hr or two just watching, also the names are strange. Feels scripted but what do i know.

Also i whispered 20 different people running around no one responded. Made the whole game feel fake , very strange.

Wait, so if a person doesn't want to talk to a random stranger who whispered them out of nowhere it means they are acting like a bot? And when people do talk you just think they are scripted conversations? Really?

For me it's just because I'm very shy and anxious and I tend to avoid people in general just out of fear they might might think the wrong about me. Maybe this is just my paranoia acting up. I don't know how this came to be as I was quite talktive a few years back. I rarely utter a word because I'm afraid people will judge me even more than usual and think bad of me. I feel like I have to constantly justify and proove myself to everyone and make clear that I've been playing for the same 7 years as every other veteran. Just because I don't show off all my legendary and prestige stuff and like to choose skins that actually fit the character (background story wise etc.) rather than cluster it with legendary stuff and tons of infusions and other effects. I hate that I live in constant fear of everyone. I'm afraid everyone will watch me every time and judge me based on skins, every virtual step I take or minor mistakes. I hate using LFG and I try to avoid that as most of the time because I don't want to risk ending up with toxic people. Only because I don't raid actively anymore due to one of my previous guilds abandoning this content and the game alltogether doesn't mean that I'm bad or new. I would love to get back to it but I'd rather play with laid back and friendly people than with toxics. I don't need to stress myself through a game as my life outside of that is already stressing enough.So in other words, I don't say anything out of sheer anxiety and fear of others. I know I shouldn't be playing this kind of game then, before anyone brings this up. I even keep most of the chats disabled these days as I ended up reaching my blocklist limit pretty fast every day with for example map chat enabled. I hope that answers your question.I can't speak for others of course and this is just my own perspective and reason. Just felt like sharing something of mine as an answer.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@"Pancakemixx.6894" said:I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .

Wait, so if a person doesn't want to talk to a random stranger who whispered them out of nowhere it means they are acting like a bot? And when people do talk you just think they are scripted conversations? Really?

I must be a bot. I ignore random whispers, unless its a question like "What armor/weapon is that?".

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Yes this game is full of bots, not saying everyone is but they are everywhere in every game mode . Not that hard to spot. An i asked everyone a question not just a random "Oh hey" . Also yes the conversations in /s i seen were scripted you would have to be a fool to not know other wise , they would literally even just be talking to themselves., running into walls ect.

Maybe a Cantha expansion could help this MMORPG after the Eotn stuff they doing..

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .

Yes this game is full of bots, not saying everyone is but they are everywhere in every game mode . Not that hard to spot. An i asked everyone a question not just a random "Oh hey" . Also yes the conversations in /s i seen were scripted you would have to be a fool to not know other wise , they would literally even just be talking to themselves., running into walls ect.

Maybe a Cantha expansion could help this MMORPG after the Eotn stuff they doing..

Yea..So was the point of your post just to request Cantha? cause like..you arent really making points. Just claims. Heres the thing, if you whispered me right now id probably not respond, not because its -you- but because i dont know you.

Usually yu will find the more social people in the newest content, aka new episode maps.

This is because PvE players are actually the most sociable players in this game, and usually they will be populating the latest map to help out/grind out the map.This is also the main reason why yu find a lack of players every now and then : They just don't like the new map.

This was the case for like, Sandswept Isles and Kourna, where the map metas were straight up "meh" and people just grinded for like a few weeks and left it, going back to Istan instead.

HoT metas however, are always populated with people, and they are quite friendly, shouting over map chat for their various roles and to coordinate the meta.

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .

Do you have any videos of this behavior? Because I have not seen what you are referring to at all.

@Dante.1763 said:

Yea..So was the point of your post just to request Cantha? cause like..you arent really making points. Just claims. Heres the thing, if you whispered me right now id probably not respond, not because its -you- but because i dont know you.

Man i would love to know where you all get you're Sunshine Glasses from. Hope you all have a great year.

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

How would any expansion (let alone Cantha) help the bot situation that you claim is rampant?

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

Man i would love to know where you all get you're Sunshine Glasses from. Hope you all have a great year.

Sure, it's called: we enjoy the game and take breaks when we don't.

I know, I know, a very unheard of approach for some here on the forums.

As far as social interactions:

• the game is 7 years old. Many longterm players are in guilds and keep social interactions to their social groups
  • interactions often happen in major cities or about to start meta maps
  • a LOT, myself included, players are not actively monitoring chat. It happens regularly to me that I miss chat messages, especially if I am on voice or actively doing something
  • the games size map wise has increased a lot. Players decision to enter specific maps is a lot more goal driven versus just hanging out, as it used to be when the game launched. The "hang out" crowd has moved to social hubs, as mentioned earlier

Interesting question. I do not remember people ever being too "social" during small events and while doing their own Hearts. I know there may be more and sometimes there is less of it but it has always been on a low level. Everyone always did their own thing on their own as there was no need to group or and everyone had their individual rewards. I took a while to get used to this coming from an MMORPG where everyone always talked on allchat and about pretty much everything. Thus I noticed this difference from the start. You get a bit more "talk" during event chains but that mostly comes down to a few people doing what they think is coordinating tjhe masses and most likely some others complaining.Anyways, the majority of socializing happens outside of the public space. Groups, squads, guilds and these days guild discords.

The veterans of this game are literally 8 years older than they where around launch. Thats a 12 year old now being 20 year old. Or a 30 year old now having one foot in the grave. Its no longer the new and exiting entrance into a fantasy world it once was - people just dont respond to "hellos" anymore, its just idle banter. But if you ask a question or make a request, I often see people answering. Its just that GW2 is well adjusted for people to do their thing with no words. See a tag? Check it out, prolly an event or boss. Do it, move on. No words needed. Simple.

Further tools like Discord have moved some of it outside the game.

I've been logging in a little more frequently after taking about a month long break or more from the game. I played the last patch and was pretty heavily disappointed. Now I go back to try to do strike missions and it's like there's nobody there. It honestly feels like there's been a huge disinterest from players for awhile now. When I look at my guild roster I see so many people that haven't logged on in 1-6 months that would usually be on almost every day.

It's felt like the game never truly got its focus back and they're obviously still putting a lot of focus into side projects. The last trailer seemed a little more promising, so hopefully that's a good sign. But it's definitely sad feeling like the game is being slowly abandoned or isn't getting as much attention as it should. It honestly felt like it still had so much potential in store for it but it doesn't really feel like it will ever see it. Maybe by the end of this season it will feel different, but I don't have high hopes anymore. I think it's just going to rapidly start bleeding people who only log on for major patches, play for a week, and then the ones still stuck around will struggle to find as much enjoyment from the game leading them to the same decision.

As far as the social aspect, I literally just spent an hour in Lion's Arch the other day talking and listening to map chat. Didn't even play. So, people still socialize, I just don't think they're getting out and doing the content as much, at least from the new zone. Some of the older ones might still be pretty active like Grothmar and Dragonfall. It's also been bombarded with festivals lately, so the majority of people are in the festival areas.

@"t sakacs.7568" said:Hello! I just came back to the game after being gone for what feels like 30 years. Everywhere i go i see tons of people everywhere but no one ever even utters a word at all. The first thing i do when i enter a zone is say "Hi" and i can count on one hand how many times someone replied. It used to be there would be people chatting /map all the time. I am just wondering what has changed? Maybe people are just not very social in this game anymore, i don't know :D

A lot of the "old" map-chat disappeared after A-net introduced the megaservers and removed the servers in PvE. After that, a PvE-map did not belong to a server anymore (so you could not talk anymore with members of your own server in map-chat) but every map is since then only an anonymous "overflow-map".

And I think in the past, when people had private conversations in map chat, a lot of them were not "social", but they just did not understood (or did not care about) the difference between map-chat and whispering (and group-chat etc...).

If you still want to experience a map-chat (and team-chat) that is used for private conversations (more often than it should), go to WvW. ;)

P.S. I still write a "Hi" in chat after I log in. But I never do this in map-chat, only in guild-chat.