About the future of WvW

Yuffi.2430

This isn't a post about Alliances or balance changes - historically we know that all we can do is speculate about these things and hope they are coming Soon .It isn't even about Servers or coverage as such.

Instead I have a simple question: How many NEW players do you know in WvW?

I know players leave or take a break. What I don't know is who replaces them, and WvW does need new players if it is to avoid a slow collapse.

In the spirit of disclosure, I come from an age when cities such as Lions Arch were server based instances and we could recruit or call for help; an age when guilds and individual players arranged support and training for new players. I know times have changed a bit, but I wonder how different things are for new players who may not have a meta build or warclaw, and who lack the experience to compensate?

Last year (2019) we recruited about 20 new WvW players.They started with level 2 or up to level 150. Some wanted to play WvW because of the new mount war claw, others because of gift of battle. We introduced them and explained them all around WvW.They are all still playing with us in WvW. Now they have other goals like legendary armour or just having fun.You can find us on EU servers.

If I see new players, I usually help them out by sending a party or squad invite and explain the game mode to them. Unless they are on the enemy server, then I just check their bag for precursors lol.

WvW is my favorite game mode, some one has got to show the noobs the way. Or else they get discouraged and go pve, and they are lost for ever... As they get rich beyond their wildest dreams with that evil PVE Gold!

@Rokuro.1276 said:If I see new players, I usually help them out by sending a party or squad invite and explain the game mode to them. Unless they are on the enemy server, then I just check their bag for precursors lol.

WvW is my favorite game mode, some one has got to show the noobs the way. Or else they get discouraged and go pve, and they are lost for ever... As they get rich beyond their wildest dreams with that evil PVE Gold!

I help new enemy players by letting them win fights.I pretend to put up a fight, then lose and give them the win.Everyone needs an encouragement now and then and wins go a long way in giving new players a boost.Of course, some low ranks turn out to be smurfs and I get thrashed for real.Then I would bring in my roamer and track them till they log out of WvW to try and steal a win back from them.

Heh depends on the borderland, but If I see a noob in an enemy bl I will follow them just out of their LOS, just watching, and waiting until the 3rd server comes to attack them then I jump in to try and save the noob lol.

Some times I will down the noob and /wave and walk away to let them live. But some times they meet their end in a camp :( It is always a sad day when a noob dies to the camp npc... I assume those are the same players who make threads complaining open world Tyria is too hard lol.

@Rokuro.1276 said:Heh depends on the borderland, but If I see a noob in an enemy bl I will follow them just out of their LOS, just watching, and waiting until the 3rd server comes to attack them then I jump in to try and save the noob lol.

Some times I will down the noob and /wave and walk away to let them live. But some times they meet their end in a camp :( It is always a sad day when a noob dies to the camp npc... I assume those are the same players who make threads complaining open world Tyria is too hard lol.

I died the first attempts taking a camp and felt rather awesome when i took my first camp solo (which took like 5 minutes)..

Everyone gotta learn l

@Arka Arkania.6214 said:Last year (2019) we recruited about 20 new WvW players.They started with level 2 or up to level 150. Some wanted to play WvW because of the new mount war claw, others because of gift of battle. We introduced them and explained them all around WvW.They are all still playing with us in WvW. Now they have other goals like legendary armour or just having fun.You can find us on EU servers.Level 150 players must be great to have alongside you in a fight. What they got, 250,000 hp?

Im new out there. I was forced out there because of Gift of Battle. Although ive always loved spvp, i knew from warhammeronline (and eve-online), that wvw rarely works well. It always ended up in bombsquads (zerg-train-aoe-tanks) where numbers reigns supreme. I decided to use a DH with LB/S-S and a zerker/marauder mix for abit of "sustain". Now, i know DH is dogshit in larger fights but here is what i "gathered":

Cons:

1. The loot is horrible. And as a "new" wvw player, i have to loot manually.
  2. Often enemy will not load on your screen and what seems to be 3 ppl turns out to be 50+ all with aoe ofc.
  3. The NPC respawn is obnoxious. You can barely kill one before they are back ? Why is there even npc guards anyway?
  4. Not exclusive to wvw but the damage is simply too much. As a DH i have 17k hp and still got oneshot by a warriors, deadeye or whatever. If all it takes is one ability to kill, imagine a large zerg-fight. Its silly tbh. Channeling DH "2" for 4 hours to do 5k damage just do be oneshot feelsbad. I honestly hope they fix some of this with the upcoming patch.
  5. Number advantages was a thing aswell. Enemy always outnumbered and even though you get a "bonus", it still gets old getting steamrolled over and over. Especially with the poor rewards/system. Enemy always had or what seem to be organized blobs and basically just ran our side down with aoe.
  6. Each time you die you have to repair your armor AND travel back to the fight. Read 4 and 5 again. Obivously it would ruin the wvw experience if you could teleport right in, but atleast remove the repair armor-thing.

Pros:

1. Smaller fights can be fun.
  2. I like the mounts for faster travel alot. (However, thats all they should be able to do)

With that being said, im still enjoying it a fair bit atm. Im hoping some wvw changes combined with pvp-balance patch will make it better. Im not sure i would recommend the gamemode atm. If you play a class that excells out there, you might be better off.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Arka Arkania.6214 said:Last year (2019) we recruited about 20
new
WvW players.They started with level 2 or up to level 150. Some wanted to play WvW because of the new mount war claw, others because of gift of battle. We introduced them and explained them all around WvW.They are all still playing with us in WvW. Now they have other goals like legendary armour or just having fun.You can find us on EU servers.Level 150 players must be great to have alongside you in a fight. What they got, 250,000 hp?

I think he means wvw rank n'est pas?

I want a level 150 char though - maybe I'd win the odd duel that way? :)

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Just lock the next two legendary trinkets to WvW. Make them take 5 months of skirmish tickets to attain, each. You'll get legy completionist into the mode.

Make it take 250 spikes as well. And 250 of each superior blueprint. Call it a gift of siege mastery or something.

I would support this, mostly because I have already the required tickets and spikes ^^