How would u have designed thief?

Psycoprophet.8107

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:I would left necro and guardian out of the game and then we wouldn't really hear many complaints about thief anymore.

It should just be thief vs thief, #amiright?

Imho there should be minimal if any stealth in the game, but here are the things I'd have done (from a non-thief perspective) since the OP asked;

• No stealth (if we had to have stealth, retarget stealther when they reappear automatically),
  • If thief exits combat, their target exits combat too - no more dropping a long poison on someone then teleporting to Mars to leave combat and get free out-of-combat heal, then come back and finish the victim who is still poisoned and in-combat.
  • Thief would be tougher and do less damage - in my game I'd want longer fights with less, but not zero, spike damage. I want fights to be drawn out, but not last forever - Arenanet take this to the extreme with ubiquitous, insane spikes everywhere. This would probably mean nerfing some heals on all classes, maybe even Water field Blasting, too.
  • Perhaps replace "invisible-anywhere" stealth with a mechanic based on dark, shadowy areas of a map. Thus the thief would take advantages of scary places. Players would then be aware of the risks of going there.
  • I'd probably get rid of initiative altogether and replace it with cooldowns. No more spamming 2 ftw. Oh that's 6 years ago, which number does thief spam for-the-win these days?

The class is too much hit and run and has too many life savers (not fun to fight). It should have more fight presence but less disengages.

Balancing it this way would be quite easy.

• Increase the damage of a lot of (not all) skills.
  • Remove every single teleport on the weapons (sword2, rifle4, d/p3, sb5).
  • Keep the utility mobility skills (shadowstep, roll for initiative, infiltrator signet, shadow flare, shadow portal).
  • Limit the maximum stealth uptime to 3 seconds. Then reveal for 3 seconds. Remove the abilitiy to break reveal.

Thieves can then choose whether they play a oneshot build that is predictable and has very limited disenages or to play a build in tanky gear that still deals serious damage.

@KrHome.1920 said:The class is too much hit and run and has too many life savers (not fun to fight). It should have more fight presence but less disengages.

Balancing it this way would be quite easy.

• Increase the damage of a lot of (not all) skills.
  • Remove every single teleport on the weapons (sword2, rifle4, d/p3, sb5).
  • Keep the utility mobility skills (shadowstep, roll for initiative, infiltrator signet, shadow flare, shadow portal).
  • Limit the maximum stealth uptime to 3 seconds. Then reveal for 3 seconds. Remove the abilitiy to break reveal.

Thieves can then choose whether they play a oneshot build that is predictable and has very limited disenages or to play a build in tanky gear that still deals serious damage.

I'd say limit stealth to 6 secs and ur ideas are pretty good otherwise. The fact u add compensations is a +1 as well.

can Anet learn from Ninja job design in Final Fantasy 14?

-before the changes, there were just too many things happening at once with the Ninja job so Square Enix had to spread them out resulting in slowing them down. Same thing happening with Anet: Thief Profession; they have way too many rewards built in their designs including their mechanics and in their use of weapons as well. Crab Fear also mentioned this in his thread.

I more thing, a source of the problem is that Thief and Rogue concepts are built in Anet:Thief Profession, that is why it is bad design resulting it being Toxic. Anet must decide which concept they want: Thief or Rogue?

Can not have both without separation!! Giving Thief Profession-Rogue specialization would also be a solution to the source problem

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/95989/sword-2-for-thief-is-the-ongoing-problem-for-thief#latest

-as you can see, nerfing them will result in nothingless as always-

-Redesigning Thief Profession or separating Thief/Rogue built-in concepts are the only way-

Before the game came out from way back when I thought steal would literally steal a skill from someone. That would be really cool for Pvp. Similar to how it is now but instead of preset skills per class thief would copy the last skill used. Barring that give them the "Use Scepter" steal skill when stealing from eles.

@"Tycura.1982" said:Before the game came out from way back when I thought steal would literally steal a skill from someone. That would be really cool for Pvp. Similar to how it is now but instead of preset skills per class thief would copy the last skill used. Barring that give them the "Use Scepter" steal skill when stealing from eles.

Tbh this would be amazing and could really create some bait-counter play. It would be fun to try and stow-cancel important skills to try and bait a steal so they waste it.

Mechanically, thief is playing a different game than every other class. I don't think they are busted in spvp, atl least not at this time. If I had to change something it would be to have chill affect thief is some way. I only can think of two ways: Chill slows down initiative regeneration or Chill increases all weapon skills cost by 1 initiative.

I would start by playing the game called Thief to learn what a Thief actually is. An overcaffeinated bunny hopping in and out of combat, poofing in and out of existence, dependant on either being a invisible or dying in a few hits, is not what I would call a Thief...

Its like someone said "what if ninjas, but made of glass and on drugs".

@"Burnfall.9573" said:I don't understand why Anet didn't continue with the Assassin Profession from Guild Wars instead.

'

The game and the community would've been in a much healthier state than this Toxic state.

(to be honest, I really would like Anet to replace Thief Profession with Assassin Profession; without stealth of course!!)

Ah yes the CC-chain oneshot combos with multiple setswaps totally abusing the secondary profession and 4 weaponsets(you can swap between with no cooldown). All this in a system where "stunbreak" wasn't really a thing. Yeah why would A-net change any of this, this sounds perfectly fine.

Assassin/warrior with a hammer/dagger combo was isanely OP for years, even after multiple attempts to tone it down. There is a reason A-net let go of the concept and built something new.

@Curennos.9307 said:

@"Tycura.1982" said:Before the game came out from way back when I thought steal would literally steal a skill from someone. That would be really cool for Pvp. Similar to how it is now but instead of preset skills per class thief would copy the last skill used. Barring that give them the "Use Scepter" steal skill when stealing from eles.

Tbh this would be amazing and could really create some bait-counter play. It would be fun to try and stow-cancel important skills to try and bait a steal so they waste it.

We had that in game too for GW2 for a little. There was a WvW event where killing someone gave you a skill on your bar that the defeated class had access to. Wouldnt be opposed to it if implemented right.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

We had that in game too for GW2 for a little. There was a WvW event where killing someone gave you a skill on your bar that the defeated class had access to. Wouldnt be opposed to it if implemented right.

Ha.

I countered your counter already.

I ALWAYS waste my steal.