Are titles worth it?

Other than to say you may be better than other players, what are titles worth?

I actually stopped using them shortly after my first World Completion. I feel they only clutter up the screen too much when I'm looking for a specific character or NPC.

If they actually had an impact on gameplay (like in GW:EN) I'm sure I would have different feelings, but I also don't want to cause power-creep.

They mean different things for different people. For some, it's bragging rights. For others, it's a nice bit of flavor text. I just use them if I happen to acquire them and if they fit that particular character for roleplaying (most of my characters don't use titles, as a matter of fact).

I keep player names turned off, so screen clutter isn't an issue for me, and I like picking titles which I think suit the character. But it's rare that I actually go out of my way to unlock one, I normally pick from the ones I've already got. Even the Light in the Darkness title, which is the one my main character usually uses I got because I also wanted the luminescent armour, the ascended trinkets and the mastery point, I doubt I would have done it for the title alone.

I tend to forget which one I'm even using, and for the most part, I don't care what others use.There's a few, like "Good Apple", where I think: "Yup, that person probably cheated/used an exploit to get it."Same with the Liadri achievement."I'm rich, you know"?: "Must be nice to just play the trading post instead of the game."

I don't put much stock in titles beyond what I want my characters to have.

@ATMAvatar.5749 said:

@"Rauderi.8706" said:There's a few, like "Good Apple", where I think: "Yup, that person probably cheated/used an exploit to get it."OCD + sunk cost fallacy is more likely. That's how it was for me.

I just did a couple apples every once in a while back when I still had a reason to be in Ember Bay. I don't even use titles.

As for stuff about showing off ... "hey look I did this boring and tedious thing" doesn't seem like the sort of thing worth bragging about.

As others have mentioned, titles are just another aspect of the cosmetic side of the game, none of which is 'worth it' . . .

For me, I address all of my cosmetic opportunities by running the rarest kitten I have available, just for the sheer absurdity of it :)

I love my GWAMM. But GW2 titles seem to be a bit lacking in comparison to the GW1 ones.I would love to see an overhaul/improvement of the AP/Title system to make it more rewarding, like GW1 did when you could add them to the Hall of Momuments for unique rewards.

@Hashberry.4510 said:It was always entertaining watching the GWAMMERS panic a bit when the title would glitch.

Hm, that isn't funny. :s (Been there, done that. :# )

Well, mainly I use titles that fit to each character while on the other hand I tend to switch them periodically to show/prove other people my accomplishments just so that nobody would think anything bad of me. Kinda paranoid, I know. But for the most part as I said before I use character fitting titles or titles fitting to the role of the character. For example: my raid healer druid uses the "Combat Healer" title to signal others that I play a raid meta healing build despite the fact that I'm mostly solo.

@Danikat.8537 said:I keep player names turned off, so screen clutter isn't an issue for me, and I like picking titles which I think suit the character. But it's rare that I actually go out of my way to unlock one, I normally pick from the ones I've already got. Even the Light in the Darkness title, which is the one my main character usually uses I got because I also wanted the luminescent armour, the ascended trinkets and the mastery point, I doubt I would have done it for the title alone.

I'm an AP hunter, so I usually don't go out of my way to get a title, but twice I did.

I have a norn pirate character (complete with peg leg and hook hand, and yes, he shouts yarr perodically due to his runes). Anyway I went out of my way to get Salty Sea Dog on him.

I also have a Sylvari revenant named Shrubba Dub Dub. I've always called him my rock star....long before the title rock star came out in game. Going for that title was a no brainer.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I keep player names turned off, so screen clutter isn't an issue for me, and I like picking titles which I think suit the character. But it's rare that I actually go out of my way to unlock one, I normally pick from the ones I've already got. Even the Light in the Darkness title, which is the one my main character usually uses I got because I also wanted the luminescent armour, the ascended trinkets and the mastery point, I doubt I would have done it for the title alone.

I'm an AP hunter, so I usually don't go out of my way to get a title, but twice I did.

I have a norn pirate character (complete with peg leg and hook hand, and yes, he shouts yarr perodically due to his runes). Anyway I went out of my way to get Salty Sea Dog on him.

I also have a Sylvari revenant named Shrubba Dub Dub. I've always called him my rock star....long before the title rock star came out in game. Going for that title was a no brainer.

Other than Light in the Darkness the only one I remember making a special effort to get is Professor, for my cranky old asuran holosmith. Others I would have gotten if I didn't already have them include Traveller (which I use a lot on new characters or when just roaming around), Distinction/Honors in Applied Jumping, Avenger of the Disposessed which I use as a generic 'wannabe hero' title for new or ambitious characters and Veteran of the Mists for my revenant.

Oddly enough one I don't use very often is Miniature Collector even though it would be very appropriate, but I feel like that's more about me than my characters.

If they ever add Stormbringer as a title I'd have to get it for my weaver. His name was going to be Rinkhal Stormbringer, after two distinctive Istani creatures from GW1, but that's 20 characters long so I couldn't have it. Fortunately I already had it in my head that no part of that was his real name, and a real name to use in RP, so he had to become a bit less anonymous and go by Akkedis De Rinkhal. But if I ever get the chance to add his other nickname I'll definitely take it.

Incidentally I'm forever disappointed that the achievement Wurmicidal Maniac gives the title "Wurms Bane". I'd love to have the achievement name as a title.