Are titles worth it?

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Other than to say you may be better than other players, what are titles worth?

It's a title. It has no "worth", it only has personal value for it can harbor pride or remind you of something fun you did. You use titles to either show off or please yourself, or to define a character.

@Zexanima.7851 said:They are just another aspect of Fashion Wars. They are only worth what you think they are.

This. Emphasis on personal satisfaction. Most other people (I count myself in this group!) don't have a clue what half of the titles are for, so if the goal is for bragging rights then disappointment might well be in store...

@Zexanima.7851 said:They are just another aspect of Fashion Wars. They are only worth what you think they are.

@Randulf.7614 said:a handful have bragging rights, but mostly they are a passive roleplaying thing to help define someones character. Similar to social gear

This, their value is individual, and just a little preview of the player in some cases. Example I quite often use Dark Traveler and a guildmate of mine that runs with me runs Light in the Darkness to play off of mine. I am not trying to show off that I ran the PacMan event in Silverwastes and they are not showing off that they collect the luminescent armor. It's just a reflection on our personalities.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:I wish that I could get a title for slaying 1000 giants pre-PoF.

That is a whole other side of dedicated.....

You have no idea. :) I spent a LOT of time in Diessa Plateau.

I mean, what was the dang respawn rate lol?

A lot longer than it needed to be for my tastes! haha Now, with the veteran giants in Elon, it's much easier to attain.

AW052rv.jpg

Why does everything have to have a universal worth? I mean to some people, just playing this game is a waste of time. If I feel the need to get a title or complete an achievement, that is because it is worthwhile to me. I like pursuing achievements. It is my time and effort, and I usually put on titles that I think are neat. So the better question is "are titles worth it to you?"

By the way, would it be a good idea to request to the devs that certain titles could offer boosts in pve, just like in GW1?Say for instance, you get a title related to charr.Then, when you are in charr territory, you'd get like 10% more damage boost against Flame Legion, and branded only; when displaying that title.Just an idea.

The devs decided not to add that in, there's must be a good reason for it.Might be because there are already Sigils that do just that?Might be a rhetorical question... but would be nice to give titles that extra bonus, or rather make titles give you the extra bonus.

Some titles are just fun, and perhaps a hint as to you/your character's personality or preferences more than any sort of brag or achievement. I frequently wear "Rock Star" when I am playing pop/rock tunes on my harp in town. Nothing to do with the achievement to acquire it which was fetching a bunch of rocks on one of the maps.

Titles are worth it to me because I enjoy picking ones out for my different alts the same way I enjoy customizing their armor, their mounts, their gliders, their miniatures, and their dyes. New alts often run around with Honorary Skritt or Sunspear Recruit as a title until they grow up a bit. My master chef is a Gourmet of course. Started a new charr alt for The Ice Brood Saga and had to get that one the Bloodbound title. My thief is a Bounty Hunter. My elementalist, a high born noble with a carefully selected and appropriate outfit is Finely Crafted. My main alternates between Been There. Done That. and The Be-All and the End-All to convey a sense of world weariness. Every now and then, I'll throw Chicken Chaser on an alt just for the fun of it. I'd love to get Leader of the Yak as I do remember the song. Since I don't have the patience to plod alongside 2,500 yaks I don't think I'll ever get it though. Still, I am diligently working on Yakslapper and am almost halfway there. One of these days I'll get around to getting the Contract Killer title just because I like the sound of it.

You get the idea. None of my titles will particularly impress any experienced player. That's fine though because I get them and use them for my own enjoyment. I don't pay much attention to other folks' titles and figure that they probably pay as little attention to mine.

Titles don't play a big role for anybody but yourself. I use 'retired' titles (ex Exhaulted Legend), because to me, they show a somewhat 'rarity.'

About the only time I have ever seen a person/group, ask for a title, is for T4 CM--the LNHB (Leaves No Hero Behind).

Or in PvP, you can occasionally see a person comment on the rank/title of an enemy team member and immediately cry doom and gloom, that their team is far superior. Tip: More times than not, the person with the ultra rare title, still was not able to carry their team to victory.