Making money crafting and using Mystic Forge

Trying to figure out how to make money without being effectively forced to butcher mobs (sometimes I'm lazy). Bullet point question time! I'll probably have more questions later.

• What craft is the most profitable?
  • Can I make money by tiering up or tiering down materials?
  • Are sigils good money yet? Will they remain or become such?
  • What are the requirements for gear to drop Ecto, and how much ecto per armor?

For craftinghttps://www.gw2craftgold.com/ not sure if they updated the recipe lists but that would mainly impact runes and sigilshttps://www.gw2craftgold.com/easy-money.php in particular

Just buy the components (at the lowest price amongst available items) and sell the crafted item to the current highest offer. With this option, you are guaranteed to make money but the returns are moderate.

but make sure you pay attention to the "To craft:" value on the right side and double check with the number of buy bids on the in game TP.

For forginghttps://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/spirit-shards

@"StabbersTheThird.6053" said:Trying to figure out how to make money without being effectively forced to butcher mobs (sometimes I'm lazy). Bullet point question time! I'll probably have more questions later.

• What craft is the most profitable?Those who know, won't tell. It would quickly cease being profitable with increased competition.

• Can I make money by tiering up or tiering down materials?Yes.Use GW2 Efficiency

• Are sigils good money yet? Will they remain or become such?This thread covers that topic (obliquely). You'll have to do some calculations on your own.

• What are the requirements for gear to drop Ecto, and how much ecto per armor?L68+ rares or exotics

• Rares: With a Master|Mystic|Silver-Fed, the rate is 0.875 per rare; with a Black Lion Kit, it's closer to ~1.25; with a basic kit, it's less, 0.66 or lower.

• Exotics: there's less published data for exotic. I personally use 1.0 (master) and 1.5 (BL Kit), i.e. I recommend selling exotics rather than salvaging, unless there's something else substantial (e.g. a sigil of force or energy)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"StabbersTheThird.6053" said:Trying to figure out how to make money without being effectively forced to butcher mobs (sometimes I'm lazy). Bullet point question time! I'll probably have more questions later.
  • What craft is the most profitable?Those who know, won't tell. It would quickly cease being profitable with increased competition.
  • Can I make money by tiering up or tiering down materials?Yes.Use
  • Are sigils good money yet? Will they remain or become such?
    covers that topic (obliquely). You'll have to do some calculations on your own.
  • What are the requirements for gear to drop Ecto, and how much ecto per armor?L68+ rares or exotics
  • Rares: With a Master|Mystic|Silver-Fed, the rate is 0.875 per rare; with a Black Lion Kit, it's closer to ~1.25; with a basic kit, it's less, 0.66 or lower.
  • Exotics: there's less
    published
    data for exotic. I personally use 1.0 (master) and 1.5 (BL Kit), i.e. I recommend selling exotics rather than salvaging, unless there's something else substantial (e.g. a sigil of force or energy)

Thanks for the info and assist! Hard to search the wiki when I don't know what terms for, thanks there very much! As for your first point, I'm not asking for the oh so secret best method- I just want to know what the public agrees is the best method. A couple recipes in leatherworker for instance appear to net 20+s a try.

@"StabbersTheThird.6053" said:As for your first point, I'm not asking for the oh so secret best method- I just want to know what the public agrees is the best method.There is no "public" for this, in the sense I think you mean. Only a small fraction of people do anything beyond the usual TP stuff and it's only a tiny group that looks for value-adding mechanisms. And anyone in the group knows that there isn't all that much total value that can be made in this way: there's just a limited number of niches and methods. That means the competition is fierce. So no one will provide a generic answer, especially not in public.

Put another way: the reason some of these things are profitable is not that many people know about them.

If you want to whisper me about something you're considering, I'll be happy to let you know the sort of things to watch out for.

Start from whichever crafting your toon needs to gear up. Then look at the timegated mats.Promoting even refining mats are not worth doing at this times unless you doing it for self.

@finkle.9513 said:Ye but dont forget its not all profit the trading post scams tax off you... still not sure where the tax goes... maybe to feed the Char as not many people like to play that class :P

Taxes are there to prevent very obvious flipping and making sure people don't use TP as storage(listing items on very high price)

The reason I'm trying to make money is to get Bifrost and then Chuka and Champawat. Any tips on how to do that? Should I buy Bifrost right off the market, try to make it, or what? And is Bifrost harder or easier than C&C?

Other gear based question: How do I get a 6 set of Legendary Armor? I only see Envoy 1 and Envoy 2 which I assume means 1 piece of armor because thats usually how achievements go.

TP based question: How do I "crash" an item? Is it possible to make an unprofitable profession worth money by making the items go up really high in price then hoping vendors do "list at highest price" or "sell to highest buyer"?

@phs.6089 said:Taxes are there to prevent very obvious flipping and making sure people don't use TP as storage(listing items on very high price)

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:The TP taxes are a gold-sink to keep inflation from running wild.

Fees have all sorts of impacts.

The listing fee of 5% is there to reduce the use of the TP as alternative storage. The exchange fee is a gold sink, to reduce the supply of gold (which slows inflation and means new players don't have to earn 1000s of gold to afford basic gear).

Neither has all that much direct impact on flipping; fees reduce the efficiency of all flips, creating a higher floor for marginal flips & making "obvious" flips less profitable (e.g. selling a 2g item for 4g is still great, just not as great) The combined fees also prevent "regional arbitrage," i.e. someone buying something during EU supply peaks to sell a few hours later during NA demand peaks.

Was pming, informed that this would be worth adding to the forum.

Background: I'm trying to earn money to make my first Legendary. My goal is 2000 gold. I want to find other things to do besides Istan & SW, for variety.Flipping    What do the barons mean by flipping? Does that mean pushing the seller price down? or the buyer price up?    How do you look for items with big gaps between buy & sell?    How do you find items that trade in huge quantities?Other Ideas    Other than Istan & SW, are there other open world farms? How do they compare?    Besides "flipping," what other ways are there to make money on the TP?    Is there anything crafting wise with a reliable profit?    Is there anything else I should consider to earn my 2k?

@StabbersTheThird.6053 said:The reason I'm trying to make money is to get Bifrost and then Chuka and Champawat. Any tips on how to do that? Should I buy Bifrost right off the market, try to make it, or what? And is Bifrost harder or easier than C&C?

Right now, crafting Bifrost will save you a couple hundred gold over purchasing it. Please note that you should not craft the precursor The Legend if you want to save gold - only if you really want to do the collection. It's cheaper to buy the precursor at the moment. Note - this can change over time. Check gw2efficiency.com from time to time.

• 1 year later...

If you have spirit shards saved up for mystic crystals you can make a good profit converting cores to lodestones. It cost me about 93g for 500 destroyer cores and everything needed to convert them to 250 lodestones and sold the lodestones for 121g . I made around 500g in 2 days just selling instantly and the only reason I sold instantly was because it was only around a 6g difference between posting and selling instantly.

@"StabbersTheThird.6053" said:The reason I'm trying to make money is to get Bifrost and then Chuka and Champawat. Any tips on how to do that? Should I buy Bifrost right off the market, try to make it, or what? And is Bifrost harder or easier than C&C?

Other gear based question: How do I get a 6 set of Legendary Armor? I only see Envoy 1 and Envoy 2 which I assume means 1 piece of armor because thats usually how achievements go.

If crafting a legendary (any) is your goal, the very first advice you should follow is to create a gw2efficiency account and use the site to monitor your progress on those legendarys.

You would have also had immediate answers to some of your followup questions:

• crafting Bifrost costs around 1,451 gold < crafting Chuka and Champawat costs around 2k gold
  • buying The Legend via instant buy costs 504 gold > crafting The legend costs 451 gold > buying The Legend via buy order costs 457 gold (which given the hassle of the collection is vastly cheaper than crafting it)
  • the Envoy Collections are both required for the initial set of precursor armor (you get 1 set at the end of the second collection, once again the wiki is your friend https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor), the full recipe per piece is both available on the wiki as well as gw2eff

@"StabbersTheThird.6053" said:TP based question: How do I "crash" an item? Is it possible to make an unprofitable profession worth money by making the items go up really high in price then hoping vendors do "list at highest price" or "sell to highest buyer"?

I'm not going to say this is impossible, since there are short term fluctuations and a constant shift in TP pricing, but for you: no not possible. Why? First you have to ask the question in the first place, which means you are unwilling or able to make this deduction on your own. Second, that market on a huge amount of items is far to big to be affected this way. Third, the market areas which can be affected short term would require a vast amount of knowledge, resources (aka gold) and experience in the market, all of which you lack currently.