Where's the official response to the download/launcher being utterly broken issue?

May it be downloads stopping, slowing down to abysmal levels or ingame streaming completing but never loading zones surely by now people realize that anyone who attempted to download the game since the christmas patch couldn't( for the most part). Anet needs to step up and tell us when a fix is expected. Even though I didn't even fully download the game yet after over a WEEK I didn't come here and complain about it sooner because the game got to a playable state and I could still download a few maps using ingame streaming ( somehow) but now even streaming doesn't work. I can't continue my LW4 story and some other maps just won't boot even though the bar shows completed. So please at least let us know it's being looked into.

And right now ANet is on holidays and will be back in a few days.

It does stink when issues come up over holiday weekends, but sometimes things happen.

Once they come back from holiday it will be looked into, especially if players submit support tickets. However, if the players who are having the issue don't send in support tickets and do what the reps suggest or it is affecting very few even if everyone contacts support, it might make it hard for ANet to pinpoint the issue and resolve it (technical issues like this can be hard to resolve due to the number of variables that are possible causes without a large number of cases to compare).

It's not very select at all... most people who play, already have it downloaded, this is effecting a large portion of those who don't. It will get louder around here given enough time, but my hope is that it's NOT given enough time lol. I expect a fix soon. Meanwhile... it's annoying but what can you do other than submit a ticket?

@EQOAnostalgia.4106 said:It's not very select at all... most people who play, already have it downloaded, this is effecting a large portion of those who don't. It will get louder around here given enough time, but my hope is that it's NOT given enough time lol. I expect a fix soon. Meanwhile... it's annoying but what can you do other than submit a ticket?

How do you know? The players who have successfully installed the game recently aren't likely to post that their install was successful.

I have a second computer and I'm downloading the game. I will let you know how it goes. But it's going to take time so I will edit or post a new response depending of if any replies have been posted.

Posting an intermediary here before I forget.

Got to the 35% mark and there appears to be a large file that the game is downloading at this point. Like over 3 GB. My MB is growing for amount downloaed, but the number of files remaining isn't changing.

So those of you affected are you looking at the MB downloaded section at all? Is it growing?

Files remaining when it hits this large file: 343,944. And if the .dat file doesn't change until a file has been fully downloaded, I've been downloading it for 30 minutes at mostly 2 MB/sec. Occasionally will dip down to the KB/sec and sometimes will even hit 0 for a second or two.

@Seera.5916 said:Got to the 35% mark and there appears to be a large file that the game is downloading at this point. Like over 3 GB. My MB is growing for amount downloaed, but the number of files remaining isn't changing.

The largest file is only around 100 MB. A situation like this happens when the file it downloads isn't what it expected, so it tries to download it over and over. The same will happen if it can't download the file at all, except the speed will drop to 0. You can use the -log option if you want to see which file it is (let it run for a minute, then exit - find Gw2.log under %appdata%/Guild Wars 2).

@Healix.5819 said:

@Seera.5916 said:Got to the 35% mark and there appears to be a large file that the game is downloading at this point. Like over 3 GB. My MB is growing for amount downloaed, but the number of files remaining isn't changing.

The largest file is only around 100 MB. A situation like this happens when the file it downloads isn't what it expected, so it tries to download it over and over. The same will happen if it can't download the file at all, except the speed will drop to 0. You can use the -log option if you want to see which file it is (let it run for a minute, then exit - find Gw2.log under %appdata%/Guild Wars 2).

I did restart the launcher and it was downloading files. So it does not appear like I'm affected by the issue. Since I was not running it with the -log option I unfortunately did not catch which file it is that's caused the problem. And as it took about 2.5 hours for this laptop to reach the 35% mark and CPU running at 100% the entire time pretty much, I'm not inclined to repeat the test. However, those of you running into this issue should do this to see if the file getting stuck on is the same.

People should keep in mind that if you close the launcher while patching it won't uninstall the files it already downloaded. You'll just start from where you left off, but the launcher will treat it as if it's that's the entire patch.

When I first launched the patcher on my laptop the playable mark was somewhere around the 25% mark. It had obviously passed this at the 35% mark where it started having problems. I closed the launcher and reloaded it to see if it would hang again and the playable mark was at 0%.

The laptop is Windows 7.

@Seera.5916 said:

@EQOAnostalgia.4106 said:It's not very select at all... most people who play, already have it downloaded, this is effecting a large portion of those who don't. It will get louder around here given enough time, but my hope is that it's NOT given enough time lol. I expect a fix soon. Meanwhile... it's annoying but what can you do other than submit a ticket?

How do you know? The players who have successfully installed the game recently aren't likely to post that their install was successful.

I have a second computer and I'm downloading the game. I will let you know how it goes. But it's going to take time so I will edit or post a new response depending of if any replies have been posted.

I know because i have 2 PC's... that's how i know... i know because unless problems get fixed, they only compound... that's how i know.

@EQOAnostalgia.4106 said:

I know because i have 2 PC's... that's how i know... i know because unless problems get fixed, they only compound... that's how i know.

Unless the issue is due to a bad port somewhere between your computer and ANet's servers.

Because Inculpatus cedo was able to install it just fine. So it's not everyone.

All you've proven that it's not due to any variables that make your two computers different (as if it was due to something that was different between them one computer would have installed and the other wouldn't have).

And I had proven that I was able to get past the 35% mark with my test last night. So again, not everyone.

Which means the issue may not be something that ANet can fix or even quickly fix.

Imagine forwarding ports in 2020.

I was also able to get past 35% doesn't change the fact that over a WEEK later I still can't load certain zones and the launcher is still trying to download files to no avail and now one of my character is stuck in an endless loop because I was bold enough to try to forefront load Desolation. So I can't play the character I was trying to progress through LW4 anymore. Whatever the issue is it's on Anet's end period end of story. I have the best possible internet on the market, never had issues downloading basically anything within seconds on this machine AND I literally live with a IT/computer wiz. My friend also has the same issue.

Theres some support around as I have seen ppl with the 35% download issue that got fixed. Below a reddit reply from a support ticket with someone with this issue on Windows.

First of all make sure you run the game/client as admin and disable any security software (virus scanner and firewall). I have had games that made corrupted files or deleted files over and over while installing, downloading and patching due to my security software.

For the rest...

1. Open your control panel.
  2. Click the "network and internet" option, then "network and sharing center".
  3. On the left side of this window, click "change adapter settings".
  4. Right-click the connectio you are using and select "properties".
  5. In the next window, uncheck the box next to "QoS Packet Scheduler" and amke sure "Internet Protocol Veriosn 6 (TCP / IPv6)" is enabled by checking the box. If IPv6 is already enabled, go ahead and leave it checked.
  6. Click "Ok" to save your changes.
  7. Now restart your internet connection or restart your computer.
  8. Start the Guild Wars 2 launcher and allow the download to complete.

If this issue persists after making the changes above, please also try the following:

1. Right-click the Guild Wars 2 shortcut.
  2. Go to Properties.
  3. In the target field, add the following after the last quotation mark -assetsrv 3.222.198.66
  4. The full target should look something like this (note the space after the quote) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -assetsrv 3.222.198.66
  5. Click Apply and try loading the game.

Sidenotes:

• This was for windows, assumibly windows 10 so the steps may be a little different on a windows 7 pc, so look for similar options in the control panel steps.
  • I don't know if the poster on reddit plays in EU or NA region so the Assetsrv ip may not be correct for you.
  • The Assetsrv ip can change over time, to look up the most recent one (and most near you) open your Command Prompt in Windows and type:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1. Hit enter. You should see a couple of IP adresses pop up. Pick one of them as assetsrv ip.

I am not super tech savvy so I hope the bit about the Assetsrv I mention is correct :P

• 2 weeks later...

@"Aaralyna.3104" said:Theres some support around as I have seen ppl with the 35% download issue that got fixed. Below a reddit reply from a support ticket with someone with this issue on Windows.

First of all make sure you run the game/client as admin and disable any security software (virus scanner and firewall). I have had games that made corrupted files or deleted files over and over while installing, downloading and patching due to my security software.

For the rest...

1. Open your control panel.
  2. Click the "network and internet" option, then "network and sharing center".
  3. On the left side of this window, click "change adapter settings".
  4. Right-click the connectio you are using and select "properties".
  5. In the next window, uncheck the box next to "QoS Packet Scheduler" and amke sure "Internet Protocol Veriosn 6 (TCP / IPv6)" is enabled by checking the box. If IPv6 is already enabled, go ahead and leave it checked.
  6. Click "Ok" to save your changes.
  7. Now restart your internet connection or restart your computer.
  8. Start the Guild Wars 2 launcher and allow the download to complete.

If this issue persists after making the changes above, please also try the following:

1. Right-click the Guild Wars 2 shortcut.
  2. Go to Properties.
  3. In the target field, add the following after the last quotation mark -assetsrv 3.222.198.66
  4. The full target should look something like this (note the space after the quote) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -assetsrv 3.222.198.66
  5. Click Apply and try loading the game.

Sidenotes:

• This was for windows, assumibly windows 10 so the steps may be a little different on a windows 7 pc, so look for similar options in the control panel steps.
  • I don't know if the poster on reddit plays in EU or NA region so the Assetsrv ip may not be correct for you.
  • The Assetsrv ip can change over time, to look up the most recent one (and most near you) open your Command Prompt in Windows and type:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1. Hit enter. You should see a couple of IP adresses pop up. Pick one of them as assetsrv ip.

I am not super tech savvy so I hope the bit about the Assetsrv I mention is correct :P

Doesn't help :(

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

• This was for windows, assumibly windows 10 so the steps may be a little different on a windows 7 pc

No, the Command Prompt and its functionality and commands have been the same for twenty years now. ;)

@"t sakacs.7568" said:Doesn't help :(

Here are the full instructions: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1125055#Comment_1125055

You need to determine the correct current IP for the proper use of the -assetsrv launch option, and this will tell you how.

@"Wolf.2596" said:Nothing anyone has suggested has worked for me.

Launch GW2, confirm it's stuck, then exit and launch with:

-log -image -assetsrv 54.84.216.160 -patchconnections 1

(see the wiki for how to launch from the terminal)

If it's not stuck, let it download a few files, then exit and launch normally; repeat if necessary.

If it's stuck, let it download for about 5 minutes, then exit. Post Gw2.log (~/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log)

If you have an alternative connection, also try that. For example, if you're using wireless, try wired, or connecting through another device or a VPN.

@Healix.5819 said:

(see
for how to launch from the terminal)

If it's not stuck, let it download a few files, then exit and launch normally; repeat if necessary.

If it's stuck, let it download for about 5 minutes, then exit. Post Gw2.log (~/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log)

If you have an alternative connection, also try that. For example, if you're using wireless, try wired, or connecting through another device or a VPN.

after everything else i've tried, turning off QoS, trying other command line options from other posts, etc. THIS is the one that got me going... today.. 21 days after the first post in this thread.

what the actual F***, Arenanet? why hasn't this been fixed already? Now i have to help my GF do this fix as well, and go do it on my other pc too.What i'm saying is : this is a persistent problem and seems something SO SUPER EASY TO FIX LIKE WHAT THE ACTUAL CRAP

I also have a problem but I had already downloaded the game and the updates.The client just doesn't start the game at all anymore without any information or processes indicated as needing updating.

Here's a video that shows how it works for mehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QLYLv1Vtpc

I'm still amazed to see that the game client is limited to the bare minimum to launch the game, there is no superior function that allows to control that the process is not blocked or in timeout with the servers and will close the process automatically.No messages, nothing, it's really the 101 of how to do the least useful thing possible.

There's not even a support mode to get a real log from A to Z on the command line, nothing that can be used to know the origin of the problem, we can only say that it doesn't work, here you go, or rely on people who will use more powerful tools to try to analyze things but there I felt like wasting time especially since it seems to affect a lot of people, but ArenaNet prefers to say that they are on vacation (the employees are not responsible they have vacations and so much the better but the studio leaves the players like that and every year we have the same thing I have the impression in the period of vacancy)

That's how much they don't seem to care if the game is running properly and if players are going to enjoy a good experience, especially the new ones who are going to say "oh yes, I was told that this game was old, it doesn't even work"...

@"ReActif.9251" said:I also have a problem but I had already downloaded the game and the updates.The client just doesn't start the game at all anymore without any information or processes indicated as needing updating.

Here's a video that shows how it works for mehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QLYLv1Vtpc

I'm still amazed to see that the game client is limited to the bare minimum to launch the game, there is no superior function that allows to control that the process is not blocked or in timeout with the servers and will close the process automatically.No messages, nothing, it's really the 101 of how to do the least useful thing possible.

There's not even a support mode to get a real log from A to Z on the command line, nothing that can be used to know the origin of the problem, we can only say that it doesn't work, here you go, or rely on people who will use more powerful tools to try to analyze things but there I felt like wasting time especially since it seems to affect a lot of people, but ArenaNet prefers to say that they are on vacation (the employees are not responsible they have vacations and so much the better but the studio leaves the players like that and every year we have the same thing I have the impression in the period of vacancy)

That's how much they don't seem to care if the game is running properly and if players are going to enjoy a good experience, especially the new ones who are going to say "oh yes, I was told that this game was old, it doesn't even work"...

You sure you dont have a second screen activated but not connected so it opens up on the wrong one?If that fails maybe incorrect screen resolution, so its trying to load a resolution your monitor cant handle.

try use Command Line Arguments; perhaps -prefreset or -windowed for example

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-prefreset

@sanitarium.1798 said:

(see
for how to launch from the terminal)

after everything else i've tried, turning off QoS, trying other command line options from other posts, etc. THIS is the one that got me going... today.. 21 days after the first post in this thread.

what the actual F***, Arenanet? why hasn't this been fixed already? Now i have to help my GF do this fix as well, and go do it on my other pc too.What i'm saying is : this is a persistent problem and seems something SO SUPER EASY TO FIX LIKE WHAT THE ACTUAL kitten

^^^^

Spent 2 days trying to get this thing fixed. I've played gw2 on and off for awhile now and i don't recall having an issue this bad before.

Wanted to chime in and say that this, also, was the fix for me.

Going to second, the launcher seems very buggy as of late. This is something which needs addressing asap since there is nothing worse than losing players due to frustration over login/access issues.

While at it, check on why servers keep failing on a near regular basis by now. There is not a single day it seems where the login servers or some access servers do not fail.